• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

overcast

thetrin said:
I will say that I enjoyed the Scarecrow segments in AA more than the
Lazarus hallucination session
Those were my favorite parts of AA so I'll agree. Though
the Lazarus scene was great. Caught me off guard.

Also,
that Calender Man is a twisted bastard

hayejin

I finished the main story but how the heck do I get back into GCPD?
I found
Nora
but I can't get back to GCPD as the main gate is blocked by
ice
?

Also, I'm at the rooftop where
3rd or 4th Deadshot Victim
is but I can't find anything here. I did run across mysterious figure but the above person is still not there.

been playing for 12 hours in and at 15% into the story. pretty much love everything but do hate some things:

-hate the way batman walks.. so fucking stiff
-added to that, hate the way they made him some mr olympia roids look. i always pictures batman to be more lean, slender althlete build.
-some lines are fucking cheesy.

overcast

hayejin said:
I found
Nora
ice
?

is but I can't find anything here. I did run across mysterious figure but the above person is still not there.
Go to the back of the GCPD. Where the boats and the ocean are. There is an entrance

Lakitu

st5fu
So, I decide to start a new game. I know, I know... I wasn't supposed to start a new one out of sheer spite. But I can't let it happen.

The amazing thing is I've already found two things I missed the first time around.

I found Calendar Man's cell, pretty sweet. Just now I found a Prisoner camp under the freeway.
So good.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
hayejin said:
I found
Nora
ice
?

To help with your 2nd question, there's a
tripod sitting on the corner ledge of the building
. It's not very big, I missed it as well. Spent like 10 minutes looking for it.

tsigo

overcast said:
Is anybody in here crazy enough to attempt the Riddler puzzles/riddles without any help from guides at all?

Did them all on my own without trouble. A couple took a few minutes of thinking and retries, but nothing major.

Vire

overcast said:
Is anybody in here crazy enough to attempt the Riddler puzzles/riddles without any help from guides at all?
Yeah, I did it all on my own besides one that I asked for help on here. :)

It was tricky but not too bad. Nothing compared to Assassins Creed flag collecathon. Dear lord...

hayejin

Wingfan19 said:
To help with your 2nd question, there's a
tripod sitting on the corner ledge of the building
. It's not very big, I missed it as well. Spent like 10 minutes looking for it.

But isn't that when you follow the
bullet trail
after you find the
body
? It says
victim
is there but I can't find any
body

Joei

Still pretty early in the game, but Hugo Strange's announcements or whatever remind me of Andrew Ryan, lol.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
hayejin said:
But isn't that when you follow the
bullet trail
after you find the
body
? It says
victim
is there but I can't find any
body
Oh, you're still looking for the
body
? That's a bit different, sorry. The marker they give you on the map isn't where the
body
is. It's just the central location of the surrounding area. You have to just look around in the blue circle that's on your map to find it.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Yenrot said:
I only played for an hour earlier, but how do you can gadgets?
You pretty much start with all of them, but you use your XP to upgrade them. Some you will find later through normal story progression or by doing side missions.

bryehn

LiK said:
Is it me or does AC not encourage stealth as much as AA? I remember so many moments where we had to sneak around in AA but in AC, I got into fights more. I think that's one thing i'm noticing more and more as I think about it.

I play stealth a lot where possible. I'll wait and watch guards' patterns and drop in with a glide kick+ground takedown then zip out and work on the next guy.

bryehn

tsigo said:
Did them all on my own without trouble. A couple took a few minutes of thinking and retries, but nothing major.

I can't figure out the crouching fenced-in proximity mine one. Still pretty early in the game (12% story I think), but for the most part they're really fun. I've probably spent more time doing that than missions.

bryehn said:
I can't figure out the crouching fenced-in proximity mine one. Still pretty early in the game (12% story I think), but for the most part they're really fun. I've probably spent more time doing that than missions.
You need a gadget that you won't get until later

tsigo

Even with that gadget it has a pretty long cooldown after you take out 2 of the mines, and if it's the one I'm thinking of, there are about 10 of them. I took out the front two, and then there's a path through the cage where you only get hit by 1 mine, so I just took the hit, got the trophy and moved back out.

You should progress in the story until you have all the gadgets (2 gadgets up, down, left, right, and the one mentioned above in the up-right), since a lot of the Riddler stuff requires them.

Yen

Wingfan19 said:
You pretty much start with all of them, but you use your XP to upgrade them. Some you will find later through normal story progression or by doing side missions.
I meant to write "change" gadgets. AA had that 8 gadget wheel thing, does AC have something similar.
I wouldn't have to ask this here if the game came with an instruction manual.

tsigo said:
Even with that gadget it has a pretty long cooldown after you take out 2 of the mines, and if it's the one I'm thinking of, there are about 10 of them. I took out the front two, and then there's a path through the cage where you only get hit by 1 mine, so I just took the hit, got the trophy and moved back out.

You should progress in the story until you have all the gadgets (2 gadgets up, down, left, right, and the one mentioned above in the up-right), since a lot of the Riddler stuff requires them.
And it helps keeping track too if you leave everything until you finish the campaign. Guess what? You won't finish everything in one try, and you end up having to go back to those places anyway for side missions + riddler + trophies

BeautifulMemory said:
You won't finish everything in one try, and you end up having to go back to those places anyway for side missions + riddler + trophies
I'd imagine you can if you're thorough enough and don't make the mistake of progressing the story to the
second visit to the Steel Mill
too quickly. Though that would require a ton of time idling around the city. I think the lengthiest side quest was the assault on the political prisoners one and that's just cause the attacks seem to randomly appear..

frequency

Bleh the checkpointing in this game is making me cry.

I finished a session last night after clearing the room
where Mr. Freeze's suit is
. That room took me forever. It was late so I talked to everyone then turned off the game. I started it back up just now and I have to redo the entire room. :(

Solo said:
Or some people think that the first game is a tighter, more cohesive package with a better narrative, a very valid criticism. But hey, lets just call them contrarians!

There is a ton of merit in both the AA>AC and AC>AA camps.
I agree. It's a LOT to do in this game compared to the last one, and with all the voiceovers randomly playing for some things, you feel compelled to do them more so than with other open world games.

Sinthetic

I have to admit I have been overwhelmed by the amount of things to do and how much I haven't got a clue about. But I kept telling myself, the more I played, the better it'd get and it seems to have finally clicked for me after the
Freeze fight

Awesome moment.

789shadow

Banned
Wow, the Riddler informants have stopped appearing, and there's only a trophy and a riddle left in Amusement Mile. Wow.

Does anyone know the solution to the "Look out! Can you see where the madness began?" riddle?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
noire said:
It's less judging the game and more trying to figure out how to play it so that I don't hate it. From the sounds of it, it relaxes a bit later, eh?
It does. Once you get into the story proper, you can explore the city all you want before moving on to the next objective.

789shadow said:
Wow, the Riddler informants have stopped appearing, and there's only a trophy and a riddle left in Amusement Mile. Wow.

Does anyone know the solution to the "Look out! Can you see where the madness began?" riddle?

Use the zoom function to look at the Arkham Asylum island. I got a good look from the GCPD building.

tsigo

789shadow said:

Hint: Remember the riddle in AA that involved a picture of Wayne tower off in the distance? It's like that.

That was the hint, here's the outright solution:

It's Arkham Island. Go to GCPD and look out in the water and you'll see it.

Zeliard

Rez said:
So you mean, say, the combat? I mean, it's just Asylum with some added bells and whistles, so sure, but as far as general pacing and scenarios are concerned, I much preferred Asylum. I'll take Croc over pulling myself along water on an ice-plank any day of the week.

That was the worst section of the entire game, and of any game. How anyone can miss that part of the game over anything is mind-boggling. :p

thetrin said:
I also really don't care for playing as Catwoman. I have no love for Selina as a character, and it angered me that despite
Robin showing up in the game, his part is minor, and you never get to play as him in the campaign. Nightwing's total omission is criminal.

Other than that? Loved it.
I personally liked playing as Catwoman and I'm very 50-50 on Selina as a character. Sometimes(depending on the writer) they nail her and get her character right but Rocksteady kinda missed out on that. You never really get any sense of feeling from Batman(other than being cold and angry) or Catwoman in the game.

Korosenai

789shadow said:

Have you scanned Arkham Island yet?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
That was the worst section of the entire game, and of any game. How anyone can miss that part of the game over anything is mind-boggling. :p
I don't miss it, I just... didn't hate it. I'm certainly not propping it up as anything particularly fantastic.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Lord_Byron28 said:
I personally liked playing as Catwoman and I'm very 50-50 on Selina as a character. Sometimes(depending on the writer) they nail her and get her character right but Rocksteady kinda missed out on that. You never really get any sense of feeling from Batman(other than being cold and angry) or Catwoman in the game.
Batman was pitch perfect, imo. He's not a fleshed out character within the game, but he takes all the baggage from the comics and plays to them properly.

Catwoman was straight up 1-dimensional T&A. Even her internal monologue was full of ridiculous sexual innuendo, "key cards DEEP in their pockets", etc.

I would have loved Nightwing in the game because of how different he is from the rest of the Bat cast. He's the only "funny" character Batman actually has a soft spot for. Not to mention that his acrobatics would have been awesome to see, since he has no glide.

I look forward to playing with him in the challenge maps once the DLC is out, but not including him or Robin as campaign characters was a missed opportunity.

thetrin said:
Batman was pitch perfect, imo. He's not a fleshed out character within the game, but he takes all the baggage from the comics and plays to them properly.

Catwoman was straight up 1-dimensional T&A. Even her internal monologue was full of ridiculous sexual innuendo, "key cards DEEP in their pockets", etc.

I would have loved Nightwing in the game because of how different he is from the rest of the Bat cast. He's the only "funny" character Batman actually has a soft spot for. Not to mention that his acrobatics would have been awesome to see, since he has no glide.

I look forward to playing with him in the challenge maps once the DLC is out, but not including him or Robin as campaign characters was a missed opportunity.
Yeah that I guess explains it better. Which isn't neccesarily a bad thing but I thought AA allowed players to more understand the characters and not have to neccesarily know a lot to understand the game. I think the general public are aware of Joker vs. Batman but everything else was fully layed out to where even newcomers to the Batman universe knew what was going on. However, Arkham City just assumed that players knew the ins and outs of the universe.

Agreed on Catwoman, her moral dilema at the end of the 3rd scenario seemed very contrived when she didn't show an ounce of care anytime else throughout the game. Also agreed with Nightwing. I would like a game where you could switch off between Batman, Nightwing and Catwoman as long as the stories flowed together and characterization was good.

KingK

thetrin said:

I agree. Here's hoping for some campaign missions with Robin and Nightwing in future DLC, with the added ability of exploring Arkaham City with them after the missions are over.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Almost 300 Riddler stuff found, subway and Industrial Sector completely done except for the Catwoman trophies. Man, there is a lot.

And THEN I still have the Challenges to do!

Zeliard

Rez said:
I don't miss it, I just... didn't hate it. I'm certainly not propping it up as anything particularly fantastic.

I'm still going through Arkham City but nothing I've seen so far comes close to reaching the Croc nadir in AA. That part was legitimately bad. Dull, repetitive, overlong. When using the planks in AC you just needed to get to whatever side your next objective was on, which only took a few seconds.

Croc is ultimately a good example of the level of quality in most boss fights in Arkham Asylum.

Bollocks

awesome game so far!
I like the catwoman sections and I like how they differ from Batman's gameplay mechanic(walking on the ceiling), prior to that I thought it would just be like Batman but with Catwoman skin.
really awesome game

I hope the next game features coop in some way that would be ballin

Seems like the most obvious set-up for the next game is that the sick Joker that 'died' at the end of this game was actually Clayface.

He pretended to be Joker so that Batman would take him outside the city limits of Arkham City, and he could easily escape from the Morgue or whatever.

Meanwhile, Joker got dropped into the Lazurus pit, and now Batman has to figure out a way to stop a souped-up, maybe-immortal Joker, possibly with the whole league of assassin's behind him, depending on how devoted they are to their whole 'burn down the corruption of Gotham' angle.

In fact, the whole immortal Joker would definitely tie in nicely to the whole Azrael warning.

Top Bottom