• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

FStop7

Banned
The Antitype said:
Seems like the most obvious set-up for the next game is that the sick Joker that 'died' at the end of this game was actually Clayface.

He pretended to be Joker so that Batman would take him outside the city limits of Arkham City, and he could easily escape from the Morgue or whatever.

Meanwhile, Joker got dropped into the Lazurus pit, and now Batman has to figure out a way to stop a souped-up, maybe-immortal Joker, possibly with the whole league of assassin's behind him, depending on how devoted they are to their whole 'burn down the corruption of Gotham' angle.

In fact, the whole immortal Joker would definitely tie in nicely to the whole Azrael warning.

I think this is a really cool idea, but I kind of hope they don't go this way for selfish reasons - I'm simply Jokered-out. The Dark Knight, Arkham Asylum, and Arkham City have offered some of the best Batman/Joker experiences one could ever have hoped for. But by the time I was nearing the end of AC, I was ready to move on. I don't want to become sick of the Joker, I really don't. He's one of my favorite characters.

Grisby

The Antitype said:
Forgot about Portal 2 already have we? :p
I'd take this over Portal 2. Course, I wasn't as hot on that game as a lot of GAF. I do think this is my serious contender though.

Gears and Batman are duking it out in mah brain.

*Uncharted 3 enters the fray*
*Skyrim enters the fray*

Yep. This has been a stellar year.

Solo

17 hours in, 85% done story, 41% overall. Yeah, I am firmly in the "Asylum was better than City" camp. Don't get me wrong, both are GREAT games, but Asylum was a lot more focused, unique, fun to explore, and had a narrative and internal logic that just worked so much better than what there is in City. And the art direction felt much stronger and part of a cohesive whole in Asylum.

Arkham City is still a 9/10 type game for me. Problem is that Asylum is a 10/10 type game and it came before.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Man, I forgot how much I love these combat challenge maps. Definitely going to get Robin and Nightwing for the new maps and 3-star everything all over again with those guys.

Hope they bring out Batgirl, too.

Grisby said:
I'd take this over Portal 2. Course, I wasn't as hot on that game as a lot of GAF. I do think this is my serious contender though.

Gears and Batman are duking it out in mah brain.

*Uncharted 3 enters the fray*
*Skyrim enters the fray*

Yep. This has been a stellar year.

I actually didn't love Portal 2 as much as most of GAF too, but even I could tell playing through it that it was just a masterful piece of game design and execution.

Batman is too, although it felt like kind of a slog toward the end.

Honestly, I didn't even think Gears of War 3 would be in contention for my GOTY, but Horde mode 2.0 is just fucking godly.

Doesnt really matter for me though. Assassin's Creed Revelations comes out soon, and then the whole conversation will be moot. It wins. :D

Grisby

The Antitype said:
I actually didn't love Portal 2 as much as most of GAF too, but even I could tell playing through it that it was just a masterful piece of game design and execution.

Batman is too, although it felt like kind of a slog toward the end.

Honestly, I didn't even think Gears of War 3 would be in contention for my GOTY, but Horde mode 2.0 is just fucking godly.

Doesnt really matter for me though. Assassin's Creed Revelations comes out soon, and then the whole conversation will be moot. It wins. :D

Ha ha ha, yeah. I loved Brotherhood. Went all the way to 50(?) in MP too. Probably one of the closet things I'll ever get to a Splinter Cell CT experience.

Definitely looking forward to it.

FStop7 said:
I think this is a really cool idea, but I kind of hope they don't go this way for selfish reasons - I'm simply Jokered-out. The Dark Knight, Arkham Asylum, and Arkham City have offered some of the best Batman/Joker experiences one could ever have hoped for. But by the time I was nearing the end of AC, I was ready to move on. I don't want to become sick of the Joker, I really don't. He's one of my favorite characters.

That's fair.

Who would you like to see as the main villain for the next game.

My problem with the way Rocksteady crams so many villains into their game, is that many of them can't help but be devalued.

After having
Two Face, Penguin, and Bane
basically treated as second-rung after-thoughts for players to roll through on the way to the major players, it would be hard to consider any of those guys a major threat in the next game.

I guess
Hush, Azrael, or one of the other side-mission characters
could factor in to a bigger role, but those are hardly mainstream names.

Solo

Did anyone else CATWOMAN THIRD MISSION
choose to leave Bruce to fend for himself at first?
I shat bricks when the
credits started to roll
and
you heard that he DIED.

Damn.

Will finish the main storyline next time I play.

Kikarian

Solo said:
Did anyone else CATWOMAN THIRD MISSION
choose to leave Bruce to fend for himself at first?
I shat bricks when the
credits started to roll
and
you heard that he DIED.

Damn.

Will finish the main storyline next time I play.
Nope, but I always wondered what happened. Glad I chose
to save him

Buckethead said:
400/400.

Feels good man.
Well Done! Don't even know how many I've got.

EekTheKat

Somewhat of a spoiler for people taking on Combat Challenges
a knife counter is a base 100 point bonus. Meaning a 50 hit combo can yield 5000 points with a well timed knife counter

Timing seems
the same for the "last" swing of a knife/sword combo - (hold)swing,(release),(hold)swing,(release),hold immediately). Once you get it down that move is literally money in the bank for these combat challenges

EekTheKat said:
Somewhat of a spoiler for people taking on Combat Challenges
a knife counter is a base 100 point bonus. Meaning a 50 hit combo can yield 5000 points with a well timed knife counter

Timing seems
the same for the "last" swing of a knife/sword combo - (hold)swing,(release),(hold)swing,(release),hold immediately). Once you get it down that move is literally money in the bank for these combat challenges
I haven't done the challenge rooms yet, but ground takedowns were 100 points in Asylum. Assuming they still are, it's a much easier and more consistent way to capitalize on a huge combo multiplier late in the fight.

hamchan

krameriffic said:
I haven't done the challenge rooms yet, but ground takedowns were 100 points in Asylum. Assuming they still are, it's a much easier and more consistent way to capitalize on a huge combo multiplier late in the fight.

The RT + Triangle move in this game is worth 75 points. I always try to go for that 75 points at the end if I can but if not then I just cape stun then beatdown.

EekTheKat

krameriffic said:

From what I've seen,

ground takedowns are
75 in AC
. And it still leaves you pretty open to attacks - which is pretty big since crowds attack
two or three at a time fairly frequently

BY2K

Membero Americo
Buckethead said:
It helps that most of the ones I was missing were easy indoor ones or ones in bunches.

Went pretty quickly.

The only thing that's pissing me off about this is the random green guy that know about the Riddler. They spawn randomly and every time I think I got the last one there's another one popping out of nowhere.

Square Triangle said:
FUCKING GAME OF THE YEAR
Well Uncharted comes out next week =P
Batman is GOTY, Uncharted is movie of the year.

*trollface*

BY2K said:
The only thing that's pissing me off about this is the random green guy that know about the Riddler. They spawn randomly and every time I think I got the last one there's another one popping out of nowhere.
I don't really mind it. It's fun flying around and they give you thr locations.

The same cant be said for the pigeons in GTA IV.

Zeliard

I like the green Riddler guys. Adds an additional fun little combat challenge in keeping them conscious. Temporarily conscious, that is.

Batman's threats are hilarious.

"Give me information on Riddler or I will shit down your throat."

"OK HERE!"

"Good, now open wide."

FStop7

Banned
The Antitype said:
That's fair.

My problem with the way Rocksteady crams so many villains into their game, is that many of them can't help but be devalued.

After having
basically treated as second-rung after-thoughts for players to roll through on the way to the major players, it would be hard to consider any of those guys a major threat in the next game.

I guess

I would really like to see Red Hood and Hush. Firefly and Calendar Man, too.

Also, Paul Dini shouldn't be afraid to create some new villains. The guy can write and he knows the source material well enough to where I bet he could make a very memorable enemy or two for Bats.

overcast

Well it seems that
Hush is definitely going to be one of the 2 (guessing that number) main villains. I am completely okay with this.

The Antitype said:
That's fair.

After having

I guess

That doesn't make any sense. Of course they could be major threats in a new game. All it takes is for the plot to revolve around them. This game focused on
Ras Al Ghul and Joker with Strange as Ghul's puppet this game but the next game could easily make Two Face and Penguin major players if they wanted to. Just needs the right plot.

Anyway, I loved this game and thought it even blew the first one away. It's fun just simply gliding and grappling around the city, soaring quietly onto a roof and doing silent take downs on thugs. I really enjoyed the plot as I feel Protocol 10 really suits
Ras Al Ghul and the League of Assassins agenda in an efficient manner. With this as the main plot, still found a way to integrate Joker as a big player that influenced Batman's actions and I really dug the plot twist at the end.
I also really enjoyed some of the epic moments such as
grappling onto the helicopter and scaling Wonder Tower. Felt really awesome just cruising around clinging to that copter ha I also really enjoyed the Mr. Freeze boss battle, that was a highlight for me. Just wish the other boss battles were as great but still had fun with the variety.
Only slight disappointments were that they didn't have anything to take the place of the Scarecrow portions from the first game. Also enjoyed the fear inducing Croc portion of the first game, nothing in this one caused dread in any particular area. Here's hoping they give Croc a bigger role in a future game. They could really create a proper creepy boss battle with him if they wanted to.

Vire

Yay! Finally beat Lost City Extreme.

The trick is hitting the guys in the upper back area with the remote batarang at a super far distance.

I am goddamn batman.

Spasm

OT LTTP Asylum 360 halp plz... I started a new game on the first save slot, played for about 90 minutes, quit the game through the menus. When I came back to the game, all the save slots were empty. Did I do something wrong? I've started over, got back to where I was, and am afraid to turn it off again till I know how to properly save.

For those that have beat the game and want to check out possible hints for a sequel, besides the two particular side quests, go to the room
the joker hung out in the steel mill earlier in the game and check out Harlequin's personal effects...

HMC

Trying to unlock combat challenges...is there a guide to which trophies unlock each, or are the unlocks based on number of trophies vs. specific ones?

Thanks in advance.

I really enjoyed this but the Catwoman seemed so horribly tacked on. I thought she would have been way more invovled in the gameplay based on how they were talking about her before the game came out. I'm really disappointed in that regard.

Kung Fu Grip said:
Amazon has this for $55.99. You guys think in the coming weeks we can expect bomba prices, or should i just buy now?
Before i wouldn't even hesitate to buy a new game at $65. But with the way prices drop so fast i just can't do it anymore.
Why didn't you buy it at K-Mart last week and get a $30 off a future gaming purchase coupon?

george_us said:
Think I'm at the end of the game; I have to breach
Wonder Tower.
I have to say that the story is fucking terrible.
Always enjoy when someone complains about a story before they even get far enough to have it revealed.

Jintor

I definitely think there were problems with it (primarily in terms of focus), but the way I felt as the credits were rolling... boom. Can't replicate that.

Just beat the
fifth
Riddler Room. I took a minute to figure out what to do, and he taunted me and told me that the great Batman didn't need to look online to figure out puzzles. I wasn't, you creep! /sniff

Does anybody have any tips on beating the ninja assassins in the challenge rooms? They always always always fuck up my combos.

Vire

Incendiary said:
Just beat the
fifth
Riddler Room. I took a minute to figure out what to do, and he taunted me and told me that the great Batman didn't need to look online to figure out puzzles. I wasn't, you creep! /sniff

Does anybody have any tips on beating the ninja assassins in the challenge rooms? They always always always fuck up my combos.
Don't bother trying to do the counter takedown for them just do the back plus counter or evade over them. Also, don't be afraid to use your quick takedowns on them immediately.

Other than that I don't know what else to say, but good luck!

I love some of the chatter between the thugs

How am I going to update my status?

God the Batman Beyond skin is so damn awesome. After beating the game I'm at 54%, I've got a while to go in collecting all the shit lol.

hamchan

Riddler sidequest complete. Still have a few more Batman Riddler challenges to complete but the Catwoman challenges seemed to count towards the 400 needed to face the Riddler.

Top Bottom