• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Vire

RPGCrazied said:
I need help with a couple riddler trophies.

6 questions marks in a cage like room, 3 on the top and 3 at the bottom. Then there is one with nothing but ocean at your feet and a cage hallway, I can zip line and zip line again but its just a dead end and I fall in the water. Another is two plates on the wall of a building, and on the other side of each other.

Damn, I only have the Nigma's sidequest up to 40%.
The first one requires you to place 3 explosives on the bottom 3 question marks and then for the top 3 throw quick fire batarangs at it from the building next to it. The ocean one - if I'm thinking of the same one requires you to glide and skim over the water to hit the Riddler switch. For the last one you need to fly into the first switch and then push off the wall and fly into the next one. If you miss your jump you can grapple boost into the sky and turn around to hit it - the only thing is that you can't touch the ground.

IronRinn

Regarding the sewer Easter Egg:
Do you have to find Killer Croc right after you defeat Ra's or can you go back and get it as long as you do it before completing the game? Right now I'm at the big Joker brawl. Maybe it's too late?

eshwaaz

dark10x said:
Enjoying the game, but I think I prefer Arkham Asylum at this point. Don't get me wrong, this is a fantastic game, but it just doesn't feel as focused as the original. I almost feel as if there are too many features for its own good.

Each of the main story missions are well done for sure, but something about them isn't appealing to me as much as the original. The city is well done, but again, I actually kind of preferred the island environment.

Anyone else feel this way?
I thought I was alone in this opinion. Arkham City is a terrific game, but I don't feel that the larger world has made it the superior game. It does feel less focused, and as a result I'm not establishing as much of a connection with the world, story or characters. I'm typically a huge fan of large worlds to explore, but it's not improving my experience here.

Because there are so many Riddler puzzles this time, each feels less relevant and therefore less satisfying to solve. Combat can be found any time you want, so each encounter has less weight. I feel so constantly tempted by side missions, collectibles and optional activities that the progression of the main story gets disjointed. I know the key here is that those activities are optional, but I still find the sheer amount of features to be distracting.

It's odd - I can't deny it's a highly refined, high quality package stuffed with tons of content, but it doesn't deliver as cohesive (or, to me, as appealing) an experience as Asylum did.

Solo

dark10x said:
Enjoying the game, but I think I prefer Arkham Asylum at this point. Don't get me wrong, this is a fantastic game, but it just doesn't feel as focused as the original. I almost feel as if there are too many features for its own good.

Each of the main story missions are well done for sure, but something about them isn't appealing to me as much as the original. The city is well done, but again, I actually kind of preferred the island environment.

15 hours in, and loving the shit out of it, but I do feel kind of the same way. The first game was a LOT more focused and the narrative was a lot tighter and more engaging. It was like they fashioned the plot first and then worked some villains into it afterwards. AC by comparison feels like they chose a bunch of villains and then formed a patchwork plot around them. AC also has a lot more extra content, but again, I found what was in AA to be much more compelling (psychiatrist interview tapes and the original Riddler stuff) than all the side content in AC. Finally, AA's environment was a lot smaller but that led to it offering a more cohesive visual design and made it much easier to traverse and remember landmarks in. I think an insane asylum and surrounding areas is conceptually a more intriguing idea than a city can ever be.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
eshwaaz said:
I thought I was alone in this opinion. Arkham City is a terrific game, but I don't feel that the larger world has made it the superior game. It does feel less focused, and as a result I'm not establishing as much of a connection with the world, story or characters. I'm typically a huge fan of large worlds to explore, but it's not improving my experience here.

Because there are so many Riddler puzzles this time, each feels less relevant and therefore less satisfying to solve. Combat can be found any time you want, so each encounter has less weight.

It's odd - I can't deny it's a highly refined, high quality package stuffed with tons of content, but it doesn't deliver as cohesive (or, to me, as appealing) an experience as Asylum did.
For sure. Arkham Asylum is a much better game, in my opinion. I don't really have any desire to ever play Arkham City again.

I've articulated myself better than this earlier in the thread, but yeah, just thought I'd +1 this. You guys both seem to like the entire package a whole lot more than I did, though. I was left totally unaffected, positively or negatively, by the entire package. When it ended I was just like... "oh".

LiK

My only gripe with Riddler are the trophies that are placed for sake of collecting. I like the puzzle ones and the hostage rooms. But the hidden ones and others that are placed in plain view are not fun to collect.

Montresor

Should I bother trying to find every secret or trophy in my hard playthrough? Or do I have to do it all over again in new game plus for the Perfect Knight achievement?

Grisby

Wait, wait, wait, wait.

Killer Croc
is in this game? I only found
his head gear
. Are there any other awesome easter egg things that you can miss? I just beat it last night.

eshwaaz

Rez said:
For sure. Arkham Asylum is a much better game, in my opinion. I don't really have any desire to ever play Arkham City again.

I've articulated myself better than this earlier in the thread, but yeah, just thought I'd +1 this. You guys both seem to like the entire package a whole lot more than I did, though. I was left totally unaffected, positively or negatively, by the entire package. When it ended I was just like... "oh".
I've not spent much time in this thread; I'm interested to go back and read your more detailed thoughts.

I still have quite a long ways to go with this game, so my opinion could still sway dramatically one way or the other. Obviously, I'm hoping for the best - this was my most anticipated game of the year, and I can't help but feel disappointed at how indifferent I feel about it so far.

GQman2121

Banned
I'm enjoying the Riddler stuff now that I actually have the means to solve them. Some of the ones that require you to freeze water, zipline, explosive gel, batarang and more...are pretty clever. I don't feel as dumb now.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Grisby said:
Wait, wait, wait, wait.

Killer Croc
his head gear
. Are there any other awesome easter egg things that you can miss? I just beat it last night.
I found him by accident. It's kind of a pointless cameo.

LiK

Grisby said:
Wait, wait, wait, wait.

Killer Croc
his head gear
Tons. If you do the Riddler stuff where you scan places, there's a ton of easter egg goodies you will come across that is easily missable. I found a lot of cool ones last night.

Grisby

LiK said:
Tons. If you do the Riddler stuff where you scan places, there's a ton of easter egg goodies you will come across that is easily missable. I found a lot of cool ones last night.
I found some. Like
Harley's pregnancy test and her doctor certificate. As well as Scarecrows mask thingy.

I bet people are going around spraying every inch with explosive gel.

Solo

If you just look from a gameplay perspective... the games are kind of identical. Sure, AC has added more gadgets and combos, but the meat of both games is the same. Go places, kick serious amount of ass, get more gadgets, solve riddles, kick more ass, fight bosses, etc. Its a very awesome formula, but I definitely get the complaints of AC being more of the same.

I LOVE AC, but I honestly don't think Rocksteady should make another Batman game without making some major changes. If they made it just another AC but bigger and with even more gadgets/Riddler trophies/side quests.....ehhhhh.

KidOmega

Need some help with this is anyone can...

So I have diligently been answering phones but had no idea that I needed to be following the moving signal as it triangulated. Finally on the fourth call I moved the left analog by accident and traced the call along. Did I mess up being able to finish tracing or will the calls keep coming until it's finally traced? I feel like such an idiot.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Some of each game did a little something better than the other, I think overall, I've settled on 9.3/10 AA, 9.75/10 AC. Hardly worth noting as they're just about my two favorite of this gen, but that's where I come done to it on the fine line.

Grisby

KidOmega said:
Need some help with this is anyone can...

So I have diligently been answering phones but had no idea that I needed to be following the moving signal as it triangulated. Finally on the fourth call I moved the left analog by accident and traced the call along. Did I mess up being able to finish tracing or will the calls keep coming until it's finally traced? I feel like such an idiot.

I didn't pick up on that until the second or third one either. Keep going, you should be able to finish it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Purely on the "game" standpoint I think Arkham City is better.

Atmosphere, story, and all that other stuff...hmm...I have to think on that.
So you mean, say, the combat? I mean, it's just Asylum with some added bells and whistles, so sure, but as far as general pacing and scenarios are concerned, I much preferred Asylum. I'll take Croc over pulling myself along water on an ice-plank any day of the week. The scarecrow over the 'alternatives' present here.

On a side-note, just thinking back, a smaller game world also allowed them to do some awesome things related to manipulating the environment in noticeable ways over time, such as Ivy taking over a whole section and so on. I didn't really notice much, if any, of that in AC.

GQman2121

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
What's the cause? Do we know?
Ironically, it's the DLC that is causing the problems. I Only have Catwoman and the Beyond skin (PS3) downloaded, but I've had the game boot me out to the XMB because of file corruption during the initial load screen a few times now. Once I select the game again I've been able to load my file up without an issue though. It's still annoyingly unwarranted.....

Also, the more DLC you have downloaded, the more prevalent the issue seems to be. So those poor bastards that preordered everywhere, or hit eBay up, are double fucked.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Grisby said:
I found some. Like
Harley's pregnancy test and her doctor certificate. As well as Scarecrows mask thingy.

I bet people are going around spraying every inch with explosive gel.
Where is
Scarecrow's mask
? That's news to me.

LiK

GQman2121 said:
Ironically, it's the DLC that is causing the problems. I Only have Catwoman and the Beyond skin (PS3) downloaded, but I've had the game boot me out to the XMB because of file corruption during the initial load screen a few times now. Once I select the game again I've been able to load my file up without an issue though. It's still annoyingly unwarranted.....

Also, the more DLC you have downloaded, the more prevalent the issue seems to be. So those poor bastards that preordered everywhere, or hit eBay up, are double fucked.
Wow, I only have Catwoman so I guess that's why I'm okay. Hope they have a fix before they sell those packs.

dark10x said:

Yup, I feel like there's too much thrown at the player too early on

Rez said:
So you mean, say, the combat? I mean, it's just Asylum with some added bells and whistles, so sure, but as far as general pacing and scenarios are concerned, I much preferred Asylum. I'll take Croc over pulling myself along water on an ice-plank any day of the week. The scarecrow over the 'alternatives' present here.

On a side-note, just thinking back, a smaller game world also allowed them to do some awesome things related to manipulating the environment in noticeable ways over time, such as Ivy taking over a whole section and so on. I didn't really notice much, if any, of that in AC.

The 'less is more' argument is something I can get behind. It feels weird to me to 'criticize' Arkham City in this regard because RockSteady did everything right in making this sequel bigger and refining the gameplay mechanics. The mention that a lot of Riddler trophies feel less important now is one I can get behind as well, although the pay-off at the end and during the fetch quest is a great incentive that other games could learn from.

I also didn't like the plank/ice pulling sections because they were unnecessarily prolonging my travel time in a game that let's you zip and glide hundreds of yards with a click of a button.

The world changing dynamic of AA was also missed here, I was kinda hoping it would happen after the [STORY SPOILER]
initiation of Protocol 10
, but the game ended pretty soon after that.

On a side note, did anyone get a huge [AESTHETIC SPOILER]
Mortal Kombat
vibe after the [BOSS SPOILER]
fight with Ra's
?.

Zabka

Haven't had a corrupted save file yet but I did have an issue with downloading a demo in the background on the 360. When it finished I had a popup saying DLC is ready (or something) and it booted me out of the game

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The thing that kills me with the Riddler stuff is that, initially, I was turned off by how many there were.

Then I went to the church and triggered the riddler story proper, and I was like "oh, man, I get it now! There's lots of junky collectibles, but I'll be constantly rewarded with new subquests." I was completely sold on the addition of more riddled collectibles.

Then... after the first riddle room I never got another call. It feels like I felt a LOT of trophies and riddles, too. So... again, really, I feel like less trophies and, as a result, smaller intervals between riddler missions, would have only benefitted the game.

slade

So I'm on top of the
Wonder Tower
Where do I go from here. Gamefaqs says something about Gargoyles. I don't see any gargoyles.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
crimzonflame said:
What was your favourite boss fight? Mine was
Mr. Freeze
That fight was one of the highlights of the whole game, for me. Of anything I wish they would have made the player try everything on the cheat-sheet they eventually give you. Using the line launcher against him was so hilarious.

Is there something I need to do to initiate the catwoman story segments?
I've already beat
Mr. Freeze
and I've only done her intro mission and first real mission.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
crimzonflame said:
What was your favourite boss fight? Mine was
Mr. Freeze
I loved that fight. It really made you think, strategize and use all of your skills.
Clayface was really fun too, although not as ingenious. It was great eye candy too.

Frogfucious said:
Is there something I need to do to initiate the catwoman story segments?
I've already beat
Mr. Freeze
and I've only done her intro mission and first real mission.
You don't have to do anything, they're just pretty spread out. There's one coming up relatively soon.

Really enjoying this game so far. Only negatives is that Batman is a total stiff with zero personality, and some of the writing is cheesy as fuck. Besides that, awesome times.

Grisby

Catwoman 'endgame' achievement question:
I don't think I ever got the family jewel achievement near then end. Is there anything special I have to do for it?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Grisby said:
I don't think I ever got the family jewel achievement near then end. Is there anything special I have to do for it?
I was wondering this myself. I assume it's hidden somewhere in the last mission.

Vire

Grisby said:
When you resume play as Catwoman after the Two-Face encounter you need to beat up various thugs around the city and collect fat loots! If you use their vision it'll show which enemies have it

bigdaddygamebot said:
What's the cause? Do we know?

Just try starting the game again. I had this issue once where it said 'save corrupted,' instead of panicking I simply quit the game, reset my PS3, started up again and sure enough everything was fine.

slade

slade said:
So I'm on top of the
Wonder Tower
Where do I go from here. Gamefaqs says something about Gargoyles. I don't see any gargoyles.

No thanks Gaf, figured it out myself. There's a glitch that was making one entire part of the vent disappear. Stupid bug ridden game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Vire said:
When you resume play as Catwoman after the Two-Face encounter you need to beat up various thugs around the city and collect fat loots! If you use their vision it'll show which enemies have it
That's really cool. I'll check that out later.

LiK

Is it me or does AC not encourage stealth as much as AA? I remember so many moments where we had to sneak around in AA but in AC, I got into fights more. I think that's one thing i'm noticing more and more as I think about it.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Really enjoying this game so far. Only negatives is that Batman is a total stiff with zero personality, and some of the writing is cheesy as fuck. Besides that, awesome times.

maybe you aren't familiar with the batman mythology. Here's a tip, Batman is the alter ego of (HUGE SPOILER)
wealthy gotham civilian Bruce Wayne
and as such he would have to make sure that his personality is not apparent as the Batman.

In any case, I thought you do get some sense of personality in his dealings with
Alfred, Oracle and Robin
I mean he's a total dick to
Robin and Oracle
, strangely enough

pakkit

Banned
LiK said:
Is it me or does AC not encourage stealth as much as AA? I remember so many moments where we had to sneak around in AA but in AC, I got into fights more. I think that's one thing i'm noticing more and more as I think about it.
There wasn't much stealth in AA either. It's a shame too, because it's my favorite gameplay type that Rocksteady has created.

Quick

Banned
Calavera520 said:
maybe you aren't familiar with the batman mythology. Here's a tip, Batman is the alter ego of (HUGE SPOILER)
wealthy gotham civilian Bruce Wayne
and as such he would have to make sure that his personality is not apparent as the Batman.

In any case, I thought you do get some sense of personality in his dealings with
Alfred, Oracle and Robin
I mean he's a total dick to
Robin and Oracle
, strangely enough

You also see a bit of emotion out of him (other than being angry) with
Talia after fighting Ra's Al Ghul

lucius

I made the mistake of replaying Batman AA for about 15 hours right before this came so I think I ruined it a bit for me cause I am kind of tired of this game about halfway through. Great game still just should have only put in couple hours of AA to get ready.

LiK

lucius said:
I made the mistake of replaying Batman AA for about 15 hours right before this came so I think I ruined it a bit for me cause I am kind of tired of this game about halfway through. Great game still just should have only put in couple hours of AA to get ready.
lol, burn out.

Top Bottom