• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

The not-so-challenging riddles are all about that: making you realize this is a guy who's basically took straight out a Cohen brothers movie, the guy who thinks himself smarther than anyone but instead gets outsmarted by everyone. You can almost hear him saying: I'm a nihilist Batman, I don't believe in nothing Batman, I will cut off your johnson Batman...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5J_kao6mwA

I don't agree with that at all. Why would a company would put tedious over fun?

Forgive me if this has been covered...but I just logged in for the first time in a few weeks and my save file has been deleted. I was probably 80-90% through the game so I'm curious of there is any way to recover it.

Is this a known issue? Is my 360 just on its way out?

Edit: I just Googled it, like I should have. Insane. I had no idea this problem existed. Time to watch the ending on Youtube I suppose.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I can't believe I'm still hunting trophies in this game. Something about this series makes completing Riddler challenges so addicting despite how much of a nuisance they may appear at first. Never did I think when I began the game I would have the patience to complete all 440 challenges, but here I am with 385 complete just by doing a few every day. I love the fact that I'm still unlocking shit like interview tapes (which are awesome), so that's a good incentive to keep going.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe I'm still hunting trophies in this game. Something about this series makes completing Riddler challenges so addicting despite how much of a nuisance they may appear at first. Never did I think when I began the game I would have the patience to complete all 440 challenges, but here I am with 385 complete just by doing a few every day. I love the fact that I'm still unlocking shit like interview tapes (which are awesome), so that's a good incentive to keep going.

Agree 100%. I'm working on them day in day out and I'm at 200 right now, and while they are a nuisance it is still pretty addictive. My quest to 100% this game continues!

Gileadxv

Banned

I felt the same way. I decided early on that I wasn't going to go out of my way for the trophies, but once I finished the main story I kept returning to them little by little each day. Now I'm just stuck finishing the remainder combat challenges (not sure if I'll ever get the glide 30 meters over water one).

BeeDog

The map marks a Riddler trophy in Szasz's hideout, but I've scoured that area twice and can't find the fucker. Can someone help me out?

I've gotten the trophy that's unlocked with the charged batarang in that area.

Yeah the trophies like those aren't fun. The one you're looking for is near the vent where you enter and there's a section of the water where you can't get to and throwing an ice bomb there will just get you stuck, if you look at the other side of that wall you'll see it.

Sober

The map marks a Riddler trophy in Szasz's hideout, but I've scoured that area twice and can't find the fucker. Can someone help me out?

I've gotten the trophy that's unlocked with the charged batarang in that area.
In the area where the water rises and lowers, drop an ice platform, then there is a loop at the first part (between the first 2 jumps), you need to batclaw your way into the loop area and then turn around, a trophy should be there. (I assume you already got the one in the cage coming out of the vent).

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Booted the game up for the first time in a couple of days and I had to download an update (1.03, PS3 version), anyone know what it does?

Dany

Banned
Have all the trophies except for cats and the 'fighting/gadget ones"

It would have been great if the combat rooms counted toward those. Then it is finishing NG +, do I need to to the side missions on NG+ to get the achievment

Rafaelcsa

Long wall of text.

Interesting post, even if you sound arrogant about your opinions. I do prefer the Arkham games' combat to any other 3D action game I've ever played. It's way more fun than something like Bayonetta or Devil May Cry or God of War and it works perfectly for a super-hero game. I'd be cool if Batman had even more moves, but to be fair in this game there's already a shitload.

You gotta consider that this game isn't a straight action game as Bayonetta. Its combat cannot be as elaborated, or else the developers would have to sacrifice some other aspect of the game for it. The same goes for the stealth sections compared to stealth-focused games like Splinter Cell or Hitman. It'll never be as deep, since the Arkham games are not only about stealth.

The closest comparison I can see for the Arkham games is the Zelda series. Both have their attentions divided between equal doses of combat, world-travelling/exploration and puzzle solving. Batman adds stealth to that equation too. And it does all these aspects wonderfully, especially the combat in my opinion. To me, it's the most fun combat system I've ever encountered and I do hope Rocksteady has the chance to expand upon it even further.

The games have to gain points for the masterful use of the Batman license as a whole too.

If you can't appreciate these games in their entirety and have to evaluate them in only one or two of their aspects, I'm not sure you should be trying to be that judgemental of them and their fans.

Wouldn't it be cool if Rocksteady took this combat engine and used it in a new brawler? An old-school style brawler like Final Fight or Streets of Rage, but with modern graphics and some form of this combat? Would be even cooler if the co-op game allowed for combination moves by both players. Could be a killer little downloadable title.

Riposte

If you can't appreciate these games in their entirety and have to evaluate them in only one or two of their aspects, I'm not sure you should be trying to be that judgemental of them and their fans.

I am evaluating the entire game and the sum of my evaluation shows that only one or two aspects of the game are worth appreciating.

When I talk about Batman's Arkham City combat a lot it is because the game has a lot of combat. More than stealth, even.

Wouldn't it be cool if Rocksteady took this combat engine and used it in a new brawler? An old-school style brawler like Final Fight or Streets of Rage, but with modern graphics and some form of this combat? Would be even cooler if the co-op game allowed for combination moves by both players. Could be a killer little downloadable title.

Hopefully not branded Final Fight or Streets of Rage lol

Jintor

You know, I agree with you a lot on how B's combat is superior to Arkham's, even if they are different styles of brawlers. But I don't see how Batman's focus on combo and scoring is a detriment or a method of approach comparable to, as you said earlier, speedrunning dodgy NES games or whatever. The main thing to my mind is that it is built around the combo scoring and the leaderboard challenges rather than it is about the challenge clearing the room of obstacles; it's not an extra player-created system layered on top like your theoretical Heavy Rain speedrun would be. It's a deliberately chosen developer-created system. Enemies are resources to be drained of points in the most efficient way possible rather than obstacles to game progression.

That's not to say it doesn't have its problems, the main thing I think is really that combat is so contextual and based on auto-assisting systems that at higher levels of combo play it actually begins to become fairly unreliable in terms of reaction, especially when combo flow relies so heavily on knowing precisely what tool to use next at any given moment and states can change between controller input and monitor output.

I am evaluating the entire game and the sum of my evaluation shows that only one or two aspects of the game are worth appreciating.

When I talk about Batman's Arkham City combat a lot it is because the game has a lot of combat. More than stealth, even.

Hopefully not branded Final Fight or Streets of Rage lol

No, of course not those specifically, just citing the most well known examples.

You know, I agree with you a lot on how B's combat is superior to Arkham's, even if they are different styles of brawlers. But I don't see how Batman's focus on combo and scoring is a detriment or a method of approach comparable to, as you said earlier, speedrunning dodgy NES games or whatever. The main thing to my mind is that it is built around the combo scoring and the leaderboard challenges rather than it is about the challenge clearing the room of obstacles; it's not an extra player-created system layered on top like your theoretical Heavy Rain speedrun would be. It's a deliberately chosen developer-created system. Enemies are resources to be drained of points in the most efficient way possible rather than obstacles to game progression.

That's not to say it doesn't have its problems, the main thing I think is really that combat is so contextual and based on auto-assisting systems that at higher levels of combo play it actually begins to become fairly unreliable in terms of reaction, especially when combo flow relies so heavily on knowing precisely what tool to use next at any given moment and states can change between controller input and monitor output.

I think the combat system in Batman is held back more than anything by the constraints of it being a Batman game. In something like a Superman game (or any other IP less rooted in reality) you could conceivably make it much more complex and difficult while keeping it equally satisfying and impactful. If there were more types of enemies than just thug, thug with shield, thug with armor, miniboss thug and your bosses where you spam some gadget to beat them, it could be really fucking cool.

I would love to see Rocksteady try to bring a similar style of combat into a game with far more variety to the enemies you use it on.

Gibbo

fucking hurrah. my save file just disappeared. WTF. I took a break from Skyrim this weekend and put in about 8 hours into this game.

I've just read that it is a widespread issue too. Is there anyway to retrieve this yet? Xbox 360 user here : (

Jintor

I think the combat system in Batman is held back more than anything by the constraints of it being a Batman game. In something like a Superman game (or any other IP less rooted in reality) you could conceivably make it much more complex and difficult while keeping it equally satisfying and impactful. If there were more types of enemies than just thug, thug with shield, thug with armor, miniboss thug and your bosses where you spam some gadget to beat them, it could be really fucking cool.

I would love to see Rocksteady try to bring a similar style of combat into a game with far more variety to the enemies you use it on.

I dunno, it's clearly in the DC Universe, there's room for all kinds of bullshit magic enemies if they really wanted to go that way. But like you said, they're really tied to the whole Batman thing.

beat

In the area where the water rises and lowers, drop an ice platform, then there is a loop at the first part (between the first 2 jumps), you need to batclaw your way into the loop area and then turn around, a trophy should be there. (I assume you already got the one in the cage coming out of the vent).
I think it's easier than that. On the floating bridge, drop an ice bomb to the side of it, step onto that, then batclaw-grab the trophy.

The multiple-remote-batarang ones are killing me.

You gotta consider that this game isn't a straight action game as Bayonetta. [...]

The closest comparison I can see for the Arkham games is the Zelda series. Both have their attentions divided between equal doses of combat, world-travelling/exploration and puzzle solving. Batman adds stealth to that equation too. .
Beyond Good and Evil has all that, stealth too. And like Arkham Asylum/City, it had simplified combat and simplified stealth.

beat

I actually first found that one because I was flying a remote controlled batarang through that whole building trying to get the one that's released by an electric charge, and I got lost so much that I came across that trophy just by accident. So long story short, throw remote controlled batarangs to take looks around corners.

fucking hurrah. my save file just disappeared. WTF. I took a break from Skyrim this weekend and put in about 8 hours into this game.

I've just read that it is a widespread issue too. Is there anyway to retrieve this yet? Xbox 360 user here : (

This happened to me on Friday near the end of the game.

The saves are not recoverable. Watch the ending on YouTube and unlock the "never buy another RockSteady game" achievement.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Something is very wrong with Robin. Sometimes he wont do his special moves and it really fucks up my combos. Luckily I have beaten the most difficult fight campaigns areas already, but I wont be making any record scores with this character.

Sober

Sorry, missed you since you didn't quote me. Thanks to you too!

Anyway, got all 440 trophies today, phew. It was fun for a while, but in the end I just wanted to get it over with.

Might get on with NG+ during the Christmas holiday, but it sounds ridiculously hard.
If you have all 440 trophies you should pretty much have unlocked all the upgrades. The only thing you might want to do is practice combat without indicators on with the custom modes but even then it NG+ isn't that much harder (I panicked in most of the predator sequences and came out ok in most of them)

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I must admit, I am a bit lost with this game. The story is a bit confusing, why is their a prison in the middle of the city? Why do I play Cat Woman and why would Poison Ivy help her? They are leading me from place to place with very little story telling. The play mechanics are a bit forced too, I guess the first was the same. So far not as good as the first, there is just too much going on without explanation. The game looks great at 1080P 60fps.

vixlar

I must admit, I am a bit lost with this game. The story is a bit confusing, why is their a prison in the middle of the city? Why do I play Cat Woman and why would Poison Ivy help her? They are leading me from place to place with very little story telling. The play mechanics are a bit forced too, I guess the first was the same. So far not as good as the first, there is just too much going on without explanation. The game looks great at 1080P 60fps.

Almost all your questions are answered as you progress in the story and as you solve riddles. ;-)

Dany

Banned
Do I need to all the side missions in NG + for the achievement and does the percent completed include the DLC I have?

pakkit

Banned
I much preferred this to Arkham Asylum. The open setting made me feel more like Batman than the original ever did. Standing on the rooftops, scanning the enemies in the dark before pouncing down and using my gadgets to best them in hand-to-hand combat - so good. The story was ridiculous, just like the first, and it lacked the "oh shit" moments from the original, but pound for pound this was a much better experience for me.

Seda

Do I need to all the side missions in NG + for the achievement and does the percent completed include the DLC I have?

You do need to redo side missions in NG+ for an achievement.
You're save file percentage is not affect by DLC if I recall, but your trophy percentage is if you're playing on PS3, obviously. You don't need to do the DLC things to get platinum if you have them downloaded though.

I have the platinum, but I'm not doing Catwomans, Robins, or Nightwings challenge maps yet.

Varna

I'm really surprised how many people are against how open the game is right from the start. It was one of the best things about this game to me. Finally a game that wasn't trying cater to casual gamers (though I'm sure it's perfectly playable to a new player on normal with hints on).

Having finished the game I have no idea how this is considered an "open world" game. It's the exact same thing as Asylum only bigger and without the introduction area. I definitely hope they keep the relative size the same in the next game. Or maybe go the Deus EX route with hub wolds. One thing that should be addressed is the encounter rate. Sometimes you just want to glide around town and explore without having a bunch of people start shooting at you...

Seda

I missed Azrael's first location in NG+... is there any way to catch him again?

? None of the sidequests are missable.

The only things that are missable in the game are the Catch achievement/trophy for throwing a remote controller batarang @ Azrael, and
Killer Croc's
cameo.

Dany

Banned
I felt the story was darker than the first one but very light on how they ended many of the encounters with the villains. No closure and very comicbook ish

Fry

? None of the sidequests are missable.

The only things that are missable in the game are the Catch achievement/trophy for throwing a remote controller batarang @ Azrael, and
Killer Croc's
cameo.

Oh, so he'll be waiting for me in the same place until I show up there? Good to know, because I want to do the Catch achievement.

Sober

Standing on the rooftops, scanning the enemies in the dark before pouncing down and using my gadgets to best them in hand-to-hand combat - so good.
That was the best fun. Hell, I didn't even use the grapnel boost except for a few times just because I wanted to climb along the rooftops and stuff.

Even more fun is when someone mentions Batman, you have to appear and attack them immediately (read this on SA as a suggestion on how to be an asshole in the game, made the game much more hilarious).

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I felt the story was darker than the first one but very light on how they ended many of the encounters with the villains. No closure and very comicbook ish

That's what I absolutely LOVE about the story. This game is closer in presentation to the Batman comics than Asylum.

Can't believe some people are using this as a critique against the game. Doesn't make sense at all.

Dany

Banned
That's what I absolutely LOVE about the story. This game is closer in presentation to the Batman comics than Asylum.

Can't believe some people are using this as a critique against the game. Doesn't make sense at all.

I guess I am using that phrase to say that the game isn't mature. The game is rated T and does not show blood/gore and the language is foul but I feel Rocksteady wanted this game to be more and readibly could but they had to make it T because 'it's batman'

Seda

I guess I am using that phrase to say that the game isn't mature. The game is rated T and does not show blood/gore and the language is foul but I feel Rocksteady wanted this game to be more and readibly could but they had to make it T because 'it's batman'

I think the feel of the game is perfect.

Who wants blood and gore excessive swearing in a comic book superhero game?

Beat this the other day...one hell of a game! Definitely my GOTY for 2011. I only wish I could have fought
Joker as the end boss.

I'll be going back and attempt to 100% this game, it deserves it!

I finished Asylum tonight so continued straight onto this, I'm blown away at the scale and detail of the city! One disappointment is that Riddler trophies do not automatically show up on your map as they did in Asylum. I really enjoyed collecting them in Asylum but it seems like too much of a hassle to do now.

malfcn

Wait, that was the ending? And I sat through those slow ass credit for nothing but a song? The game was great but the ending was a little bit of a let down.

On to NG+

Dabanton

I would bet we get a more solid ending in the DLC that's coming..

For the next game i want higher building how exhilarating was it doing that dive off of Wonder Tower.

Top Bottom