• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Jintor

I finished Asylum tonight so continued straight onto this, I'm blown away at the scale and detail of the city! One disappointment is that Riddler trophies do not automatically show up on your map as they did in Asylum. I really enjoyed collecting them in Asylum but it seems like too much of a hassle to do now.

You can get them marked on your map later in the game.

beat

You can get them marked on your map later in the game.
Yeah, in Asylum you just needed to find the Riddler maps. In City, you need to do some sidequests, specifically the Riddler ones, and that soon means
some henchmen are marked as Riddler's henchmen; after beating up everyone else in the area, you'll be able to interrogate them and gain trophy locations as a result.

there is an illegal amount of collectibles in this game

other than collectibles and some of Rocksteady's character design, the game is super hot.

As much as I love this game, I fear I may never 100% it, because there is just too much stuff to do that counts towards it. I actually think that NG+ counting towards completion percentage was a terrible decision.

spekkeh

Banned
I liked the comicbookishness, but the story was just way too convoluted, they should've relegated half of the villains to sidequests only. The end boss came literally out of left field and because there was no build up, there also was no sense of accomplishment.

And yeah there are just too many Riddler trophies, which also didn't help the sense of accomplishment. Collecting them all would be an incredible chore, and collecting any single one felt insignificant. Less would have been more in this department.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
To be honest, my previous complaints about how difficult I found NG+ have pretty much evaporated since my last post.

The short answer was one word: Practice.

In more detail my timing and sense of spatial awareness was off so I was constantly jumping into situations where Bats was in danger of taking damage if my execution of a special move was off. With practice I've gotten a lot better at hitting the effective special for whatever the situation demands, and I'm now I'm a lot more aware of what's going on around me.

On Normal difficulty you can get away with being sloppy, on NG+ and the harder Riddler's revenge combat scenario's you simply cannot.

Also, learning how the various gadgets are set to prioritize particular targets is massive. For example REC quickfire will always go to Abramovici/Stun-Rod dudes/Shield dudes if they are in the field of view, even if a machete-wielding thug is right in your face.

What tended to mess me up -particularly true in the gladiator pit fight, which was raping me- was that as fights against large numbers of thugs progressed the balance of enemy types changed and I wasn't adjusting my strategy to compensate. Towards the end, because I was missing weapon-breaks I'd be facing fewer enemies but a higher number were armed with clubs and blades making them generally more able to hit me a longer range.

To be honest I'm not at the stage yet where I'm getting 3 medals on every combat challenge, but I'm now 2 medalling most reliably, and I feel comfortable that I can and will improve further.

Its been very rewarding to push through and elevate my performance, even if it has been frustrating at times.

My advice to anyone who's gotten stuck, is to persevere but don't expect miracles to happen in the space of a single play session. Come back, a day later and you will see real improvement if you have observed and internalized your mistakes. There is a distinct rhythm to combat, so you can't really push through, you just need to make fewer mistakes and be able to execute the right move for the given situation.

Tsukumo

Something is very wrong with Robin. Sometimes he wont do his special moves and it really fucks up my combos. Luckily I have beaten the most difficult fight campaigns areas already, but I wont be making any record scores with this character.

Both Robin and Nightwing have this problem. It's still unclear if it's a glitch or it's just the characters having a different rythm that messes up the flow of the fight.
Why wouldn't Rocksteady acknowlegde this is beyond me. They made an excellent work in terms of PR right until a moment before the game was published, then they got into radio silence: a dlc has confirmed to be available tomorrow yet either advertising or public announcements by Dax Ginn are nowhere to be found.
The game has been out two months already and still they don't even tease about additional content (story driven content). Come on.

Kweh

Does anyone elses 360 version just not load sometimes? Quite a few times I just get a black screen and I have to reboot the 360.

Apoc87

Banned
Does anyone elses 360 version just not load sometimes? Quite a few times I just get a black screen and I have to reboot the 360.

Mine has done this a few times, only solution I have found to work is to run the game from the disc, not the hard drive.

Hasnt frozen for me since.

Tsukumo

To be honest, my previous complaints about how difficult I found NG+ have pretty much evaporated since my last post.

The short answer was one word: Practice.

[cut]

May thy post echoth in the minds and the hearts of people who say this game fighting system lacks depth.
By the way: I managed to get in the top 100 on all of the combat maps (some of them even in the Top 10) but as of the moment I don't seem to find any new way to farm points and beat my own scores.
I'd very much like to hear what you guys have come up with. Amongst other things I'm trying to find a way to ground pound as much enemies as possible.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
May thy post echoth in the minds and the hearts of people who say this game fighting system lacks depth.
By the way: I managed to get in the top 100 on all of the combat maps (some of them even in the Top 10) but as of the moment I don't seem to find any new way to farm points and beat my own scores.
I'd very much like to hear what you guys have come up with. Amongst other things I'm trying to find a way to ground pound as much enemies as possible.

You can really rack up points with multiple ground pounds. Very risky tho

I'm really surprised how many people are against how open the game is right from the start. It was one of the best things about this game to me. Finally a game that wasn't trying cater to casual gamers (though I'm sure it's perfectly playable to a new player on normal with hints on).

You might be right about the casual. When my older brother visited for Thanksgiving he couldn't even figure out how to glide and later on when we weren't playing it he asked me to play Tekken 6 and said that he would ask to play Batman, but it's harder and I was like "What?" and he said well in Batman you have to figure out where to go (which I already explained to him while he was watching me) and in Tekken you just fight.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Posted in wrong thread

So when I installed the game, yadada. Everytime I try to log into my Live profile, it tells me it can't. There maybe a network problem or windows ID issue.

Basically... How do I fix this stupid ass shit?

Second, how does one get Catwoman on PC?

Varna

Posted in wrong thread

So when I installed the game, yadada. Everytime I try to log into my Live profile, it tells me it can't. There maybe a network problem or windows ID issue.

Another victim of GFWL. Can't really help you with the issue.. shit is so random sometimes. As for the Catwoman DLC I think all PC copies it have it by default. No need to do anything.

Jintor

Posted in wrong thread

Try logging in on the xbox site and seeing if they put up new terms and conditions or some shit.

Wait, that was the ending? And I sat through those slow ass credit for nothing but a song? The game was great but the ending was a little bit of a let down.

On to NG+

Yeah man, those credits are loooooooooooooooooooooong. I was especially something after but nope.

As you said, onto NG+!

Fry

YES! Very weird problem.

Phew, I was worried about my Xbox (since it's freezing a couple of times when I play Gears of War 3 online as well, but I guess that's possibly because of lag + overheated console).

Lima

Posted in wrong thread

How long is your password? Basically the passport site allows the password to be more than 15 characters but that is really the limit and the GFWL client does not accept passwords that exceed this limit.

Fry

New DLC is out now. 1 batsuit (free), and 3 challenge maps (free on PC, 240MSP on xbox 360).

Loved the new suit, although Batman looks old in it.

The description for the challenge maps says it's free, which is weird. Hope they fix it.

Kyaw

Just finished the game.

I was expecting more in terms of story content and the length purely because it's open world but I think the ending was really great. Quite sad to see
Joker die.

I think I kinda prefer Arkham Asylum as it had a better story and gadget unlock progression and less quirky world. Really looking forward to what Rocksteady do with its next release. Hope they sort out the PC release next time though.

Orin GA

I entered the code, got the audio confirmation, but when I continue I dont get a suit selection screen.

(Steam Version)

NM, thought it was just an unlock code. Gotta download it first.

Just finished the game.

I was expecting more in terms of story content and the length purely because it's open world but I think the ending was really great. Quite sad to see
Joker die.

I think I kinda prefer Arkham Asylum as it had a better story and gadget unlock progression and less quirky world. Really looking forward to what Rocksteady do with its next release. Hope they sort out the PC release next time though.

We are not sure if
Joker is dead

JB1981

I kind of wish there was a more elegant way of using Detective Mode without losing the "normal" visuals of the world. I play so much of the game in Detective Mode and I feel like I miss out on the great art work on display. Detective Mode becomes essential when facing a group of thugs armed with machine guns.

cackhyena

I kind of wish there was a more elegant way of using Detective Mode without losing the "normal" visuals of the world. I play so much of the game in Detective Mode and I feel like I miss out on the great art work on display. Detective Mode becomes essential when facing a group of thugs armed with machine guns.

I didn't think so at all. I used it so much less than AA. I only used it before fights to see who was who most of the time.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Since the answer doesn't seem to be in the OP (if it is i'm sorry) and since I don't want to browse through the whole thread: Can I register the retail version on Steam?

cackhyena

Really? What about when you're traversing the city ?

Less than you think. I guess my way about it was usually just snapping to it. Usually just to scope if I were near gun toting enemies. Don't get me wrong, I still used it a lot, just nothing like AA. Very short spurts, and usually more focused on the Riddler stuff than anything. I got to enjoy the scenery a lot more this time around. I don't know what they did to make me play this way, but it worked.

Orin GA

New problem. When playing Jokers Carnival, the key binding to bank points is gibberish. How do i fix this?

ShdwDrake

Banned
Playing it now... About 5 hrs, not liking it tho it might be the more open world nature there are very few open world games I like tho :/

JB1981

I am totally stuck. I am currently in
the Arkham City Processing Center. I got the codes from the Tyger chopper and took out Strange's thugs. There is a sewer entrance below me and there are 3 others doors that lead nowhere. I tried going back outside but when I go out there the game doesn't direct me to any location.
There is no green marker in my compass. Help me.

nevermind think i got it

Top Bottom