• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
I am totally stuck. I am currently in
the Arkham City Processing Center. I got the codes from the Tyger chopper and took out Strange's thugs. There is a sewer entrance below me and there are 3 others doors that lead nowhere. I tried going back outside but when I go out there the game doesn't direct me to any location.
There is no green marker in my compass. Help me.

Head over to "The Bowery" on your map then head due east to the Restricted area. The door should be guarded by 2 snipers. Also make sure you didnt just scan the Copter with the master code. You have to grapple on to it and download them.

JB1981

Just beat it. Loved it. Loved how it ended. Thought it was a lot better than the original. One of the best games I've played in a while. Onto the side missions! Probably my SP game of the year ATM.

Doomrider

So I just started NG+ and I got down the main chimney of the steel mill. I land on the wire, slide under the deal and jump over 2 obstacles. Then I have to cool down the coals by opening the hatch with my batclaw. I do this, and drop down. What the hell am I supposed to do now? It seems to be a dead end under here.
Don't you remember what you had to do in your previous playthrough? =P You have to drop down and move across the ledge.

Edit: That's that, then.

Montresor

Is it just me or is there a massive similarity between the music that plays whenever you get a major new upgrade and the music at the very very end of the newest Batman movie trailer?

I love getting those major gadget upgrades in Arkham City because it looks so friggin cool seeing Batman inspect the weapon and hearing that music at the same time.

Doomrider

Is it just me or is there a massive similarity between the music that plays whenever you get a major new upgrade and the music at the very very end of the newest Batman movie trailer?

I love getting those major gadget upgrades in Arkham City because it looks so friggin cool seeing Batman inspect the weapon and hearing that music at the same time.

It really, really does. I spend like 30 seconds looking at Batman every time he gets an upgrade. Such a cool little moment.

Dany

Banned

I feel that the score is heavily lifted from the batman movie scores. Not exact tracks but some songs that play during predator reminds me of The Dark Knight.

UGH.

The counter mechanic for dudes with machetes is so fucking stupid. Half the time it just doesn't fucking work, and the timing is different for every fucking character in the combat challenges.

Needless layer of complexity in a combat system designed around the notion of simplifying input to maximize output.

Lan_97

Has anyone tried 3D (hdmi 1.4) on the 360 version? The screen tearing is so awful with 3D on that the game becomes unplayable. I haven't been able to find much on it, and I'm wondering if I have something configured incorrectly.

It's not a huge loss, the 3D is not very impressive to begin with.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
The free Batman suit is ace. I wish the game just used that one as the default, perfect "standard" Batman costume right there.
The counter mechanic for dudes with machetes is so fucking stupid. Half the time it just doesn't fucking work, and the timing is different for every fucking character in the combat challenges.
Nope. The only time a knife guy hits me is when I screw up and let it happen, it's easy-peasy once you have the timing. Just hold away from the enemy on the stick, press the counter button before each slash and hold it for the duration of their swing.

The only character it's different for is the Assassins, and it's only one additional press.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I totally failed on posting this earlier with my iphone..

were it not for volunteering for Big Brothers Big Sisters causing a schedule conflict I would have gotten to play Batman in this. As my little brother put it "if you get to be batman just do it, I would have understood".

http://youtu.be/25zEr7dxQZ0

Sober

UGH.

Needless layer of complexity in a combat system designed around the notion of simplifying input to maximize output.
Nope, you just need practice. There are knife thugs (3 swings) and assassins (4 swings). That's about it.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...

were it not for volunteering for Big Brothers Big Sisters causing a schedule conflict I would have gotten to play Batman in this. As my little brother put it "if you get to be batman just do it, I would have understood".

Those Penguin Thug costumes are spot-on. Very impressive.

Wasn't that one guy trying on the brass knuckles backwards, though?

Dany

Banned
Anyone checked out the new combat rooms. The Ice Lounge is 'endurance' no ending. Easy to get 3 stars while the Jokers one is weird, the longer you can go on without being hit, a meter fills up allows time and pts to be added to the final score. 3 stars is 1 million :p

Jintor

Ice Lounge is fun as hell. I've been hankering for a pure endurance room forever since Arkham Asylum's failed loony bin one and this totally fits the ticket.

Hilarious. Great job!

daw840

Anyone checked out the new combat rooms. The Ice Lounge is 'endurance' no ending. Easy to get 3 stars while the Jokers one is weird, the longer you can go on without being hit, a meter fills up allows time and pts to be added to the final score. 3 stars is 1 million :p

o_O

How do you get these?

Dipswitch

So I beat this the other day - good ending. Game was a bit blood thirsty towards the end now that I think about it. But great game all around.

Anyone, I've been mopping up the remaining trophies, etc over the last few days and the only thing left outstanding is that aerial attack over a stunned enemy combat challenge.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what the hell to do here. I've gotten one out of three attempts by accident, but having fuck all luck getting the remaining two.

Are there any sure fire techniques that will help getting that challenge put to rest?

Dipswitch

Stun, jump, jump? The same way you attack shield guys?

The way its worded makes it sound like you have to aerial attack off a stunned guy into another stunned guy. Not sure if that's the case though. I'm aerial attacking constantly, but having sod all luck.

Sober

The way its worded makes it sound like you have to aerial attack off a stunned guy into another stunned guy. Not sure if that's the case though. I'm aerial attacking constantly, but having sod all luck.
Just find a crowd of thugs. Stun one and then do the aerial attack but as soon as you double tap jump, you need to point a direction (LS or WASD) and attack (X, Square, Mouse1). If you do it right, Batman (or whoever) will stun then, run up/climb that enemy then jump off the first thug and aerial attack another. (One way to think of it is it as helpful is if you accidentally started an aerial attack on an armoured thug, if you are quick enough you can keep your combo by redirecting the aerial attack)

The wording on it is super weird which is why it tends to confuse people. The aerial attack entry in the list of moves has a tutorial for it.

SlickVic

At the point of the game where
I need to get back the cure from Joker
but the 3rd part of the
Identity Theft
side mission hasn't triggered yet, and I feel like I did the 2nd part of it ages ago. Really hope that didn't glitch out on me.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Gettting 1 million + in jokers carnival with catwoman and robin is painful. I got robin who's moves decide to crap out on me at vital moments, and catwoman special moves that sometime do and dont work on the one armed fella. Batman and Nightwing were easy enuff tho.

The Endurance room is crap. Surviving isnt really hard and theres nothing to compel me to stay. Once I get the 100k I am out. Do the later enemies get equiped with guns or something?

Pretty much done with AC. The only thing left for me to do is the calender man achievement.

Cant wait for the next installment.

Sectus

o_O

How do you get these?

They're DLC.

Gettting 1 million + in jokers carnival with catwoman and robin is painful. I got robin who's moves decide to crap out on me at vital moments, and catwoman special moves that sometime do and dont work on the one armed fella. Batman and Nightwing were easy enuff tho.

The Endurance room is crap. Surviving isnt really hard and theres nothing to compel me to stay. Once I get the 100k I am out. Do the later enemies get equiped with guns or something?
I tried the penguin challenge in the custom mode so I could turn on regen health and see how later waves are. I think it always stays the same, but the enemies become more and more aggressive and much faster. At one point, the knife attacks were so quick I couldn't even react to the first strike.

beat

Hooray, I finally found/achieved 400 Riddler challenges/trophies and thus unlocked the last room. Which, BTW, I found on my own before the game told me where it was, but it was a locked door. =P

I only had to resort to a guide maybe five or less times, sigh. I don't think I'll bother with the remaining 40, though.

Hmm, I had the most trouble with Nightwing. Bats was the easiest, as soon as I figured out what the hell I was supposed to do, I got it on my 2nd try. Cats wasn't too bad as her speed helped me get by the shield/stun guys, and I prefer not riding the Titan. Robin gave me a little trouble because I went straight to him after Cats, which felt like fighting in molasses, but I like his style.

Nightwing though, uughh... I think it took me 20 tries. Even though he is faster than Robin, he seems to deal less damage, and his attacks make the camera move around too much after some strikes.

Dipswitch

Just find a crowd of thugs. Stun one and then do the aerial attack but as soon as you double tap jump, you need to point a direction (LS or WASD) and attack (X, Square, Mouse1). If you do it right, Batman (or whoever) will stun then, run up/climb that enemy then jump off the first thug and aerial attack another. (One way to think of it is it as helpful is if you accidentally started an aerial attack on an armoured thug, if you are quick enough you can keep your combo by redirecting the aerial attack)

The wording on it is super weird which is why it tends to confuse people. The aerial attack entry in the list of moves has a tutorial for it.

Cheers. Followed your directions and banged it out in about 30 seconds. I was pushing the direction + x separately up until that point, when it seems like they need to be applied at the same time. A little disgusted that you don't get an achievement for getting all 440 items, but I guess it counts if you beat the new game plus.

Anyway, with that, I'm done with the game.

Dany

Banned
How are you fellows doing jokers carnival with Bats?

I've gotten up to a 320x combo I think and using the bank as soon as it hits level 1 (before the stun gun and the armored dudes) I was able to get up to 900,000 with this method.

Sober

Nightwing though, uughh... I think it took me 20 tries. Even though he is faster than Robin, he seems to deal less damage, and his attacks make the camera move around too much after some strikes.
Sadly I feel the other way. Robin is waaaaaay too clunky for me and his selection of gadgets to use in combat don't mix well with how I play (I typically avoid explosive gels might be why, whereas I'll almost always use everything Nightwing has). Nightwing isn't Catwoman fast but he is still fast, 2nd at least if we had to rank them.

How are you fellows doing jokers carnival with Bats?

I've gotten up to a 320x combo I think and using the bank as soon as it hits level 1 (before the stun gun and the armored dudes) I was able to get up to 900,000 with this method.

Just don't get hit until it rolls over to round 6, then cash in for 500k. You can do that twice before the time runs out and you might even be able to cash in on round 4 or 5 the 2nd time, depending on how large your combo was for the 1st cash in.

Sadly I feel the other way. Robin is waaaaaay too clunky for me and his selection of gadgets to use in combat don't mix well with how I play (I typically avoid explosive gels might be why, whereas I'll almost always use everything Nightwing has). Nightwing isn't Catwoman fast but he is still fast, 2nd at least if we had to rank them.

I don't use gadgets at all in fights; I'm a straight-up strikes 'n' counters kind of guy.

Sober

I don't use gadgets at all in fights; I'm a straight-up strikes 'n' counters kind of guy.
Fair enough, but do you use group attacks (special combos)? Nightwing has awesome AOE when I thought it was going to be meh. Robin on the other hand? Throw is okay in a crowd but worth little to no points for the work and the staff leg sweep isn't as impressive as the breakdance move Catwoman has.

I mean, I don't mix up gadgets THAT MUCH at times so when I play Robin I keep thinking "why is he so slow, should I use his gadgets more or something to offset his apparent lack of momentum even in freeflow mode?" and I can't seem to get much out of it.

The only button combos I use are the takedowns when an armored guy or ninja-chick is bugging me, and the weapon-break as Batman.

I find that using the area-attacks for all characters is less helpful than just staying in focus mode and keeping the time slow-down effect.

Jintor

It took me so long to work out that an unbroken combo is worth more than an 11x variation bonus

still no reason not to work towards the bonus though!

Alright I'm in the place where you have to saved the GPCD officers from Penguin w/ the
Shark
, how the hell do you do this part. I can't leave b/c it says they'll die but I can't move the platform through the ice.

EdgeFest

It's Xmas day in NZ today, was playing a bit of Batman:AC, if you go and talk to Calendar Man he tells you his xmas story, then hints to return on New Years Day.

GQman2121

Banned
Fuck me these challenge maps with the modifiers are a pain in the ass. On their own - not so hard. But to have to do three in a row is pretty...well...challenging.

Alright I'm in the place where you have to saved the GPCD officers from Penguin w/ the
Shark
, how the hell do you do this part. I can't leave b/c it says they'll die but I can't move the platform through the ice.

Look at your gadget's and then turn on detective mode and look for the highlighted rings. You'll figure it out. ;)

Sober

Shark
Batarang the rope to drop the platform into the water. Use the Batclaw to hook onto the rings and drag yourself and the platform around. There should be plenty of room to move around to the few officers in the torture chamber. (check the area map for where the rest of them are, and use detective vision if you are stuck)

Fuck me these challenge maps with the modifiers are a pain in the ass. On their own - not so hard. But to have to do three in a row is pretty...well...challenging.

Look at your gadget's and then turn on detective mode and look for the highlighted rings. You'll figure it out. ;)

Haha wow, don't know why didn't think to turn that on, derp.

McNum

Hmm, I just completed the game, but I'm missing a gadget? I wonder what I missed.

Great ending, though, I did not see either twist coming. Well, I did consider that
Strange and Ra's Al Ghul did have the same ideals, but I hadn't connected the dots.
. But the other twist that
Clayface was playing the Joker to make Batman THINK that the Joker had already been cured
was great.

I'm happy that the game lets me pick up on the side missions after the game is done. That's mighty nice of it. I also like several of the new gadgets. I think my favorite new toy is the
weapon jammer. So much fun to jam someone's weapon and then land in front of him. That's just SO Batman to do. But the Freeze Blast is a close second with its proximity mine upgrade. Sonic Batarang + Freeze Mine = one frozen enemy.

By the way, any good fighting tips for when you got both enemies with shields and body armor in the same fight? I swear I keep messing that up. The Combo Takedown is nice, but Batman doesn't always go for the guy I want him to go for. Get the armor guy, Bats. The armor guy!

Are there any hints about a sequel in this game like Arkham Asylum had for this one?

Top Bottom