• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Talia al Ghul took it from Harley, she says so after escaping from Clayface/Joker and handing it to Batman.

Okay, cool. Missed one line of dialogue and it was crucial. Thanks!

beat

This game keeps giving and giving.

Beat it last night, and not only can I continue forward post game with side missions I never completed, but there's also a Game+ too? Nice!

But that ending...
Batman basically acting like "whatever" to a dead or dying Talia and still missing Nora... and choosing only to carry out Joker like a depressed lover would hold his lifeless partner. Am I to believe he just left the others there to die, or is this resolved in side missions? I had called my friend and asked her if I received the "Bad" ending.

...That would be my only gripe, next to the repetitious "clear the room of overpowered goons" gameplay that nearly suffocated me by the end.
I still don't get how
with only one dose of cure left, Batman apparently just took it and did nothing for the thousands out there in Gotham who got Joker's tainted blood.
Unless I missed something somewhere in the story.

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm stuck. Trying to get to Freeze in the museum but it won't let me select the cryptographic sequencer. What am I missing?

omg figured it out....you have to press left/down on the d-pad at the same time. what a stupid fucking move.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
???

I dont recall seeing anything about this. Explain please?

And I just got this game for Xmas, my god I didnt know what I was missing. I dont even wanna go to work, lol.

Look at the riddler challenges / collectibles menu, they are all shown there. Joker Balloons, Harley Quin Statues, Penguin statues, etc. You break them all with batarangs except Harley statues you break with the REC gun (inside the steel mill).

Anytime you see them you should break them, since getting more collectibles unlocks new riddler hostage missions. The last riddler mission didn't unlock for me until I got 400/440 collectibles.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I'm stuck. Trying to get to Freeze in the museum but it won't let me select the cryptographic sequencer. What am I missing?

omg figured it out....you have to press left/down on the d-pad at the same time. what a stupid fucking move.

Anytime I have to go diagonal on the 360 pad takes me 10x longer to select, such a bad design.

Look at the riddler challenges / collectibles menu, they are all shown there. Joker Balloons, Harley Quin Statues, Penguin statues, etc. You break them all with batarangs except Harley statues you break with the REC gun (inside the steel mill).

Anytime you see them you should break them, since getting more collectibles unlocks new riddler hostage missions. The last riddler mission didn't unlock for me until I got 400/440 collectibles.

Thanks, I never played AA so I'm having a slightly rough time just jumping in blind but I'm getting there.

Red

Seems like achievements are bugged on the Steam version of the game. Just nabbed the final riddler challenge (getting an inverted takedown of all things), finished everything else in the campaign, but I'm still missing a GFWL achievement for partway completing the Riddler sidequest, along with several story-related achievements, and a few early-game Steam achievements as well. It's weird, because (for example), I have Communication Breakdown unlocked on Steam, but not on GFWL.

Anyone else with this problem?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What's this about the catwoman stuff being DLC? I bought and downloaded the game when it was 50% off in Steam and it started right away with her + that little segment further with her trying to meet Ivy(not done with the game so i dont know if there is more). But i dont remember downloading any DLC.

McNum

What's this about the catwoman stuff being DLC? I bought and downloaded the game when it was 50% off in Steam and it started right away with her + that little segment further with her trying to meet Ivy(not done with the game so i dont know if there is more). But i dont remember downloading any DLC.
Catwoman is included in the Steam version. No extra DLC required to play as her.

johnsmith

remember me
Fuck this game and fuck it's half an hour long unskippable credits.

I want to kick whoever is responsible for those in the nuts. So god damn frustrating.

Sober

Completed all the Advanced AR Trainings tonite......some of them were insanely irritating!!!
They aren't too hard I found (takes about maybe half an hour to figure them all out) but I'm not too excited to do them again. I lost my save file on PC because my save slot came up empty but I just mashed A through it and wrote a new file over the first save slot. I did have a backup but that was before I did 90% of the NG+ sidequests and 2/3 of the original campaigns.

Any reason why its bad to pick this up used? Am I missing exclusive DLC, or online passes?
On consoles you will miss Catwoman, though I've heard some retailers give you a key on a used copy anyway (not sure who does it). Some people absolutely loathe her playstyle but she is really fun in combat especially. She is injected into the story mode right at the beginning (before the 'regular' opening, though her opening coincides with the ending in a way), a couple of interludes (2 or 3 times you switch back to her), then once again after you finish the game (as Batman, the 'proper' ending) where she has one more portion before the game allows you to switch freely in the free roam area between the two of them.

Fuck this game and fuck it's half an hour long unskippable credits.

I want to kick whoever is responsible for those in the nuts. So god damn frustrating.
You can't skip the credits? On PC I skipped it (the first time so I missed a few easter eggs during them), but yes they are LONG.

Dany

Banned
Any reason why its bad to pick this up used? Am I missing exclusive DLC, or online passes?

You'd be missing Catwoman who has 4 'chapters' in the campaign. She plays kind of differently and is faster but not entirely needed for the 'story' in the game.

I think she is 10 dollars and that the Robin/Nightwing/Combat Rooms PACK is 15 bucks.

Seda

Miss out on Catwoman DLC, which has challenges maps and 4 individual levels in the campaign plus some Riddler trophies to collect. It's not like they are completely necessary though.

johnsmith

remember me
You can't skip the credits? On PC I skipped it (the first time so I missed a few easter eggs during them), but yes they are LONG.

I'm on pc too and i was mashing buttons like crazy. Were you playing with a keyboard & mouse? Maybe the esc key lets you skip them, and i'm using a controller.

Eh, Catwoman is fun, but you only player as her for less than an hour. Not really worth paying more for.

Sober

I'm on pc too and i was mashing buttons like crazy. Were you playing with a keyboard & mouse? Maybe the esc key lets you skip them, and i'm using a controller.
I was on a controller, I just hit something and the "B - Skip" prompt on the screen came up, just like every other cinematic. Pretty sure whatever the key is for m/kb would be there too (maybe space?).

TP

I thought the challenges in Arkham City were easier than the ones in Arkham Asylum

nope

Turns out im just better at pressing buttons now then I was then. I beat them all in one try, even Shock and Awe Extreme.

Red

I thought the challenges in Arkham City were easier than the ones in Arkham Asylum

nope

Turns out im just better at pressing buttons now then I was then. I beat them all in one try, even Shock and Awe Extreme.

I don't think completing the challenges has ever been difficult. What's difficult is nailing every single hit to get a full rating and boost your spot on the leaderboard.

TheOddOne

Recently got this game and so far it has been a blast. The only thing that bugged me Remote Electric Charge gun was not explained that well, kept shooting and shooting but eventually found out you need to press the RB.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Anybody else about ready for some spoilery theories/fantasies about the next game?

burgerdog

I was on a controller, I just hit something and the "B - Skip" prompt on the screen came up, just like every other cinematic. Pretty sure whatever the key is for m/kb would be there too (maybe space?).

Yeah, I skipped the credits as well(pc version.)

What are the odds we'll see a GOTY edition of this eventually with all of the DLC included? I want to play it, but I've been putting it off because of school, and while I'm tempting to pick it up tonight and try to beat it before the 9th of January, I feel like it would be wiser to wait until later in the year if a GOTY version will hit the shelves.

GQman2121

Banned
What are the odds we'll see a GOTY edition of this eventually with all of the DLC included? I want to play it, but I've been putting it off because of school, and while I'm tempting to pick it up tonight and try to beat it before the 9th of January, I feel like it would be wiser to wait until later in the year if a GOTY version will hit the shelves.

100% going to happen. The DLC for this game is not cheap (over $20 total now I believe) and its good business to re-release at $40 in the spring.

I also do not expect any additional single player content; I think Conroy misspoke when he was asked about future Batman work.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I guess this is old news, but anyone here playing the PS3 version and coming across the Corrupt Save Game data thing? Game's already patched but it's still happening...anyone know of a fix?

Damn it! I'm barely an hour in and I can't play it without that thing popping up!

Divius

Sooooooooooooooo I loaded up my save which was at 26% iirc, played for a bit, saw
Joker die
and credits started rolling. Dammit. I thought I had still a ton of main quest left.

Sober

Sooooooooooooooo I loaded up my save which was at 26% iirc, played for a bit, saw
Joker die
and credits started rolling. Dammit. I thought I had still a ton of main quest left.
The % button on the menu has the entire breakdown, you have quite a ways to go too.

I'd expect the Wii U version to be this.

Bisnic

Did they really killed
the Joker? I'm having a hard time believing that, especially after i heard him sing in a voicemail during the credits. I still have the Catwoman stuff to do that, so we'll see if some plot twist shows up.

Kyaw

Did they really killed
the Joker? I'm having a hard time believing that, especially after i heard him sing in a voicemail during the credits. I still have the Catwoman stuff to do that, so we'll see if some plot twist shows up.

The main storyline effectively end after that though, right?

Sectus

Did they really killed
In case you missed it, the game tells you that the
voice mail is from 4 hours ago.

Bisnic

In case you missed it, the game tells you that the
voice mail is from 4 hours ago.

It still doesnt tell me WHEN Batman listened to it. Was it right after he brought him to the police or like days later? Anyway, i still dont believe he is dead. I mean, it's the freaking Joker.

neoism

guys can I please have your help just got BATMAN AC and after 6 hours of downlding I don't understand the Enter the Serial code.

I copy and pasted the unlock request code and it failed.... then I put in the cd key steam gave me got the same thing.... WTF please help me.. :(

It fails at last step please help...

-Stranger-

Just about completed all side quests (85%)
I also have around 250 riddler secrets out of 400.

Amazing how much replay value this game has after the main story is completed.
I'm enjoying just exploring and collecting trophies :)

Anybody else about ready for some spoilery theories/fantasies about the next game?

Hush will be a prominent figure. As he has assumed the identity of Bruce Wayne, he's going to make Bruce's life a living hell for him, but when this will start after the events of Arkham is questionable, since it also apparent that Harley is pregnant. So the game will at least take place 9 months after Arkham City, but the Hush sidequest I guess could've taken place months after the main game. Anyway, so Hush will ruin Bruce's reputation. Bruce will have to defend it of course and try to prove himself innocent if Hush has really made him infamous like killing someone while wearing his face. If this does happen expect Bruce being in prison again, but this time in Blackgate. If Hush doesn't go that far then expect a mission where you to have to break into your own company and take down cops to prevent him from doing such a thing.

Outside of Hush you will have Harley who will try to kill for killing Mr. J. Mr. J may actually be alive and Harley may know it, but she'll act like she doesn't regardless if he is or not. If the Joker is alive Batman will be furious when he finds out and will attempt to take him down. He won't though as Joker and Harley have a surprise for him. He's a daddy and Joker is crazy enough to kill his own son if Batman tries to stop him. Batman later discovers that Talia al Ghul was also pregnant around the same time as Harley and he also has a son. There will be hard tension between Bats and the Joker because of this. Ultimately Joker falls and Bruce adopts Joker's child that is if he doesn't die at the end of the story.

The final confrontation you have will be with Azrael's prohecy. Gotham will after all these years of trying from several villains will be destroyed. Azrael said that Gotham will burn and as so Firefly must play a part in it. Firefly I believe works for a rival corporation of Wayne Enterprises. Hush could hire him (as Bruce Wayne) to burn his company to the ground. This could be where that Wayne Enterprise mission comes in, but it doesn't explain how the whole city will burn but that might not have meant to be taken literally. They might just use Firefly to trip us up. Scarecrow and Ivy both threatened to destroy the entirety of Gotham. You also have Ra's Al Ghul will will be revived and he wants the city destroyed as much as they do. I'm not entirely betting on Ivy taking a part of this, but I'm pretty sure that Crane will. Azrael will return during the events of the city's destruction. Batman will be frustrated with him assuming he took a part in this. You may play as Azrael too who fulfills his part of the prophecy.

You will also have Bludhaven either a part of the main game or as side missions. These you will play as Nightwing and maybe Batgirl too. In Bludhaven you will tackle such villains as Blockbuster and a slew of mob families like the Falcones. Nightwing will be a lot more fluid to play with and Cassandra's fighting style will be brutal. This game will also have a ton of villains here. So many that you will feel like most of them were there just for the sake of it. It will have the following:

Hush
Two-Face
Rupert Thorne
Carmine Falcone
Black Mask
Firefly
Poison Ivy
Scarecrow
Killer Croc
Joker (maybe)
Harley Quinn
Clayface
Maxie Zeus
Mr. Freeze (as an ally "I owe you a debt Batman")
Crazy Quilt
Mad Hatter
Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum (Mad Hatter's henchmen)
Bane
The Riddler
Calendar Man
Joe Chill
Red Hood
Ratcatcher (not dead)
Scarface
Man-Bat

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
so my cat woman code doesn't work........

also I selected hard as a difficulty and am kinda regretting it.

Wanted to get into this - but I figured I should play Asylum first. Does that game still hold up? Or should I jump straight into Arkham City? Is Arkham City even considered "better?"

Chocoboko

Just finished the main storyline and HOLY CRAP at that ending.
I cannot believe that they killed off the joker. I loved how subtle it was, joker dieing, Batman silently carrying his body out like he just lost a true friend, harley's reaction, how Batman just leaves the body then zooms off into the darkness. I also thought it was an amazing touch how there really wasn't any music during the credits minus the jokers touching(disturbing) song to Batman. Just a fade to black and then a very quiet and thoughtful credit crawl. Loved it.

Did Talia die for real as well? Her death just seemed to be brushed off very quickly.

I really hope they make a direct sequel. I can't wait to see what they do with this storyline and Arkham City as a place.

Wanted to get into this - but I figured I should play Asylum first. Does that game still hold up? Or should I jump straight into Arkham City? Is Arkham City even considered "better?"

AA still holds up, there's nothing like it. Play AA first because AC is a directly evolution of AA in terms of story, combat, gadgets, and overall mechanics. AA is more focused, tight, concise over all, while AC is expansive and really takes everything to a bigger (not necessarily better) level. It's like Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Also, if you have take the time to play AA carefully, there are references that carry from AA to AC.

johnsmith

remember me

I thought Arkham Asylum was better and of course it still holds up. It's only 2 years old. I'd start there.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just beat the main story. The ending was good, but it was over sooner than I expected. I've played it pretty much nonstop over the past couple days and I didn't want it to end. I didn't like it at first, the open world design didn't seem like a good idea and the major villains were introduced too abruptly, but during the
save Mr. freeze
mission, it started to click with me. It's a very well crafted game in general, the combat is so smooth and satisfying, the predator scenarios were fantastic, the production values are impressive and it makes great use of the license, and there's a lot of content between the story, side missions and challenge maps...overall it's just a great package, something that only a few exceptionally talented developers could pull off. I found the story a bit unfocused, and the Catwoman segments should have been more fleshed out (I loved playing as her), but it was a great experience. I'll have to make room for it on my GOTY list.

I just wish they didn't lock away so many challenge characters as DLC, it's such a ripoff. I'll probably suck it up and buy them anyways...

edit - ooh looks like more
Catwoman in NG+
, I will definitely keep playing.

Hush will be a prominent figure. As he has assumed the identity of Bruce Wayne, he's going to make Bruce's life a living hell for him, but when this will start after the events of Arkham is questionable, since it also apparent that Harley is pregnant. So the game will at least take place 9 months after Arkham City, but the Hush sidequest I guess could've taken place months after the main game. Anyway, so Hush will ruin Bruce's reputation. Bruce will have to defend it of course and try to prove himself innocent if Hush has really made him infamous like killing someone while wearing his face. If this does happen expect Bruce being in prison again, but this time in Blackgate. If Hush doesn't go that far then expect a mission where you to have to break into your own company and take down cops to prevent him from doing such a thing.

Outside of Hush you will have Harley who will try to kill for killing Mr. J. Mr. J may actually be alive and Harley may know it, but she'll act like she doesn't regardless if he is or not. If the Joker is alive Batman will be furious when he finds out and will attempt to take him down. He won't though as Joker and Harley have a surprise for him. He's a daddy and Joker is crazy enough to kill his own son if Batman tries to stop him. Batman later discovers that Talia al Ghul was also pregnant around the same time as Harley and he also has a son. There will be hard tension between Bats and the Joker because of this. Ultimately Joker falls and Bruce adopts Joker's child that is if he doesn't die at the end of the story.

The final confrontation you have will be with Azrael's prohecy. Gotham will after all these years of trying from several villains will be destroyed. Azrael said that Gotham will burn and as so Firefly must play a part in it. Firefly I believe works for a rival corporation of Wayne Enterprises. Hush could hire him (as Bruce Wayne) to burn his company to the ground. This could be where that Wayne Enterprise mission comes in, but it doesn't explain how the whole city will burn but that might not have meant to be taken literally. They might just use Firefly to trip us up. Scarecrow and Ivy both threatened to destroy the entirety of Gotham. You also have Ra's Al Ghul will will be revived and he wants the city destroyed as much as they do. I'm not entirely betting on Ivy taking a part of this, but I'm pretty sure that Crane will. Azrael will return during the events of the city's destruction. Batman will be frustrated with him assuming he took a part in this. You may play as Azrael too who fulfills his part of the prophecy.

You will also have Bludhaven either a part of the main game or as side missions. These you will play as Nightwing and maybe Batgirl too. In Bludhaven you will tackle such villains as Blockbuster and a slew of mob families like the Falcones. Nightwing will be a lot more fluid to play with and Cassandra's fighting style will be brutal. This game will also have a ton of villains here. So many that you will feel like most of them were there just for the sake of it. It will have the following:

Hush
Two-Face
Rupert Thorne
Carmine Falcone
Black Mask
Firefly
Poison Ivy
Scarecrow
Killer Croc
Joker (maybe)
Harley Quinn
Clayface
Maxie Zeus
Mr. Freeze (as an ally "I owe you a debt Batman")
Crazy Quilt
Mad Hatter
Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum (Mad Hatter's henchmen)
Bane
The Riddler
Calendar Man
Joe Chill
Red Hood
Ratcatcher (not dead)
Scarface
Man-Bat

You had me up until the point where you got entirely too fanfic.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

I don't think it is. Story is more contrive, like an excuse to jam a bunch of villains into a game. The first game made more sense and the asylum was a more interesting place. The second game is bigger, but more unfocused.

Top Bottom