• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Dany

Banned
Hmm, I just completed the game, but I'm missing a gadget? I wonder what I missed.

By the way, any good fighting tips for when you got both enemies with shields and body armor in the same fight? I swear I keep messing that up. The Combo Takedown is nice, but Batman doesn't always go for the guy I want him to go for. Get the armor guy, Bats. The armor guy!

Are there any hints about a sequel in this game like Arkham Asylum had for this one?

Stun and do an areal attack on the fellows with shields, they will drop the shield but someone else might pick it up so doing a destroy weapon special takedown is a good idea.

You can also stun and do a beat down on armored guys, they will take a lot of hits.

McNum

Stun and do an areal attack on the fellows with shields, they will drop the shield but someone else might pick it up so doing a destroy weapon special takedown is a good idea.

You can also stun and do a beat down on armored guys, they will take a lot of hits.
Ah, I don't have the Disarm and Destroy special combo yet. Blame the keyboard for that. A fast use combo on Y in a WASD setup game? Yeah, there are better things to use EXP on. I really should try to rebind some of those. The PC version really should have had a "Quickfire Selected Gadget" button instead of having to hit 1-5 in combat to use the right one...

Beating down the armored guys is fun, but not really something to use when surrounded by idiots enemies.

Also, what's my missing gadget? Or at least, where do I get it? It's in the top row, I think, second or third last. Next to the hacking tool.

Ok im pissed.

Brought a brand new copy of the game today, tried to redeem the most important dlc (catwomen) and it states already redeemed (australia here)

Go to the official forums and see tons of posts with people with the same problems, but no real solution

Any idea how i can get a new catwomen dlc code ? Im struggling to find an official warner bros email to claim a new one.

Seems like a common problem so would have hoped they had fixed it by now.

This is why i HATE dlc codes.

BTW: all other codes worked fine except catwomen

Well, I didn't think I'd do it... but I did: 3 medals for all challenges and all campaigns with Batman, Catwoman, Robin, and Nightwing. Back at 100%.

Robin's extreme predator missions were a goddam bitch to complete, couldn't have done them without Youtube. The guy that did those videos I used must actually be Batman, he does things to the game I didn't even know were possible.

I really want some story based DLC for Robin and Nightwing now. I'd settle for half-a-dozen-ish new combat/predator challenges though, it's just very satisfying to play as them when everything goes your way.

Also, I noticed while playing the Iceberg Lounge today, that Croc is sitting outside the arena, having a drink and watching you beat fools senseless.

I also want Rocksteady to either make a Spider-Man game, or a Co-op Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles one. I want it so hard!

Late game Catwoman questions:

1. When she gets into the safe, it looked like I could pick up the plant, but I picked up the suitcases first. Is it possible to pick up the plant?

2. What happens if she doesn't go to save Batman?

Yes, you can pick up the plant. She says something about Ivy and smashes the pot on the ground and grinds the plant with her foot.

You enter Gotham City and the credits roll. When they're done you hear Oracle on the radio talking about how the Joker won and stuff, then it rewinds back to the fork in the path.

Late game Catwoman questions:

1. When she gets into the safe, it looked like I could pick up the plant, but I picked up the suitcases first. Is it possible to pick up the plant?

2. What happens if she doesn't go to save Batman?

To your second question,
the game credits roll and you hear news feeds or something about how Batman is dead but then it rewinds takes you back to that decision.

Dany

Banned
Ah, I don't have the Disarm and Destroy special combo yet. Blame the keyboard for that. A fast use combo on Y in a WASD setup game? Yeah, there are better things to use EXP on. I really should try to rebind some of those. The PC version really should have had a "Quickfire Selected Gadget" button instead of having to hit 1-5 in combat to use the right one...

Beating down the armored guys is fun, but not really something to use when surrounded by idiots enemies.

Also, what's my missing gadget? Or at least, where do I get it? It's in the top row, I think, second or third last. Next to the hacking tool.

Freeze mine? You can use that to freeze the feet on a group of enemies, preventing them to move,

Yes, you can pick up the plant. She says something about Ivy and smashes the pot on the ground and grinds the plant with her foot.

You enter Gotham City and the credits roll. When they're done you hear Oracle on the radio talking about how the Joker won and stuff, then it rewinds back to the fork in the path.

:lol at #1. That's pretty awesome for #2.

Sober

If you have a 360 controller or a PS3 one the special combos are so much easier to pull off (a combination of 2 face buttons). Otherwise remap some controls. It does suck that for kb/m you have so many gadgets that they just made it 1-1 to 5-5, whereas AA only had really the batarang and the claw so it wasn't too bad.

The missing gadget I think is the
Freeze Cluster you can find in the Steel Mill - it roots enemies so if you do it against gun thugs you still need to approach from behind since they can still see and shoot, just not turn. You can't quickfire that in combat though.
It's that or the
Mine Distruptor
you can get after finishing the Museum.

McNum

If you have a 360 controller or a PS3 one the special combos are so much easier to pull off (a combination of 2 face buttons). Otherwise remap some controls. It does suck that for kb/m you have so many gadgets that they just made it 1-1 to 5-5, whereas AA only had really the batarang and the claw so it wasn't too bad.

The missing gadget I think is the
Freeze Cluster you can find in the Steel Mill - it roots enemies so if you do it against gun thugs you still need to approach from behind since they can still see and shoot, just not turn. You can't quickfire that in combat though.
It's that or the
Mine Distruptor
you can get after finishing the Museum.
I do have a 360 controller, but I deliberately unplugged it for Batman so it wouldn't use the 360 controller prompts when I wanted to play the game with mouselook. The final boss was a bit of a pain with the default keys.
Fight big enemy, dodge and counter. Hit 5-5 over and over and over. Now fight a horde of respawning enemies (with a sword, granted) and still hit 5-5 on point when the boss reforms. Sheesh, I had more trouble with the keys than the boss there. But hey, Batman with a sword was cool. And, of course, he has a place on the belt to clip on a sword. He's Batman.
And yep, I don't have that gadget. I'll have to go pick it up.

Also, a general minor complaint about the game.
Batman is a bit of a chump in this game. How many times does he get knocked out or otherwise incapacitated? The Catwoman parts are more or less to save Batman from his own screwups.
I hope that in a possible sequel that Baman does not end up as damaged as this one. Or at least waits a bit until he gets his costume messed up like that. Batman's costume is cool, let me use it in pristine condition for a few hours before tearing it up.

Sober

I do have a 360 controller, but I deliberately unplugged it for Batman so it wouldn't use the 360 controller prompts when I wanted to play the game with mouselook.
Prompts should work properly even with it plugged in. If I move my mouse/use my keyboard the prompts immediately switch, in menus and everything. If I tilt a stick or press even a trigger the 360 buttons immediately replace m/kb ones.

McNum

Prompts should work properly even with it plugged in. If I move my mouse/use my keyboard the prompts immediately switch, in menus and everything. If I tilt a stick or press even a trigger the 360 buttons immediately replace m/kb ones.
Oh, it does it like that? That's actually pretty impressive.

Got me another fun upgrade. Glide Boost Takedown. That one is just delightfully brutal. If you're falling from somewhere high, why not use it to kick someone across the street on impact? Also met
Hush. So that's Hush? Wasn't he a major villain for a while in the comics? To the point of being the title character for a whole arc or two? I hope he's back for a sequel. Having an enemy of Bruce Wayne, not Batman would be interesting.

GQman2121

Banned
I am the god damn Batman!

HRTKFl.jpg

sn00zer

Just beat this...... holy hell does this game do just about everything right....and has some of the best surprises Ive seen in a videogame
Ra's Al Gul boss battle was totally out of left field and awesome
Mad Hatter sequence was really interesting especially how they introduce the character (boy that radio transmission sounds mighty fishy)
The story was incredibly interesting...was not expecting the clayface switcheroo at the end but it made perfect sense...also Clayface is one of my favorite bad guys so he was definitely welcome...and the constant introduction of new bad guys and their rivalries was really cool, these guys hate each other
Freeze battle was one of the best Ive played recently although I had to resort to a hint to figure out the final beat down sequence
awesome little details everywhere (the penguin goon who is going over to the joker's side is also a riddler informant, the face switch when beating the crap out of freeze)
the animation is just incredible too
oh and the character models are just damn beautiful....so much detail
one of the only games that requires you to actually use all of your gadgets and moves regularly
Overall awesome game, not perfect (way to many trophies, some side missions do not have a fulfilling conclusion) but improved on everything in Arkham Asylum and wasnt afraid to do some things completely different

I would be enjoying this game considerably more if it were not for the distractions of Riddler "riddles" scattered about...well...everywhere. I am enjoying the story in this much more than Arkham Asylum. I am really enjoying all the different side missions but the really, REALLY ridiculous amount of Riddler challenges in this game is just a constant reminder that there's content here I could be doing and I'm potentially missing out on learning more about Arkham City if I don't grab all of those riddles.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm surprised we still haven't heard about significant new DLC. When's that gonna happen?

Should've download it before starting the campaign. The catwoman segments are integrated into the main game, you'll take over as her at certain points.
That's just incredibly irritating. How in the fuck was I supposed to know that happy horseshit? Pardon me for wanting to play the SP campaign and not wait 25 minutes for the DLC to finish downloading. Fuck a duck.

Danneee

I'm done with this now. I'm about to stop sanction 9 or whatever it's called but just can't stand anymore, the first game was soo damn good and this just feels like a mess. Too many gadgets, too many fights with lots of people and those damn guns and stealth sections that gets boring and too hard. How they managed to totally ruin the riddler trophies I don't understand either.
Oh, too many button combinations to use gadgets in fights.
Just needed to ventilate that, the combat and graphics are still great, voice overs too. First one was soo much better and felt more focused in every way though.

That's just incredibly irritating. How in the fuck was I supposed to know that happy horseshit? Pardon me for wanting to play the SP campaign and not wait 25 minutes for the DLC to finish downloading. Fuck a duck.

Personally, you are okay. There's really one section that's key to the story and you are not there yet. I'm assuming you are on PC? In console you could select Catwoman stages in the main menu

It takes like 2 minutes to install and was common to knowledge to anyone remotely following the game. Still dumb on rocksteady's part to include on disc DLC.

It takes like 2 minutes to install and was common to knowledge to anyone remotely following the game. Still dumb on rocksteady's part to include on disc DLC.

Huh? On disc? For what platform? For the 360 you have to actually download it. 300mb or so. I assumed it was the same for PS3. It's probably on disc for PC, though.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Just got to her again and I can't get some of her trophies because I didn't open them up as Batman (eg didn't blow open a wall). Am I screwed?

Once you finish the main campaign, character switch points will appear on the map and you can switch whenever you want.

GQman2121

Banned
I was in the same boat. After playing a few, I got really hooked. Only the last few are really hard. I did one or two a day, and before I knew it, I had done them all!
Yep. The combat arenas were a breeze. I mean I'm at the point were I can chain up to triple digit combos with my eyes closed thanks to the x2 multiplier.

The campaigns are challenging but if you take your time they're not so bad. Top Of The World Extreme gave me some issues though.

GQman2121

Banned
Just got to her again and I can't get some of her trophies because I didn't open them up as Batman (eg didn't blow open a wall). Am I screwed?
This was a poor design choice. There's no reason you should have to switch characters to knock through a wooden wall. Her bolas should be able to destroy them. There's also a few trophies in the steel mill that bats has to expose for her to reach. Really dumb. Even with her limited arsenal, she's a blast to play with though.

beat

how do i change the costume?

i got the dlc for the new skins etc but i dont know where to change them.

You can change the costume by continuing a game past the story's conclusion or
starting a new game plus
, which also requires finishing the game . If you haven't done either, then you need to enter the cheat code "Left, Left, Down, Down, Left, Left, Right, Up, Up, Down" as this page explains. Note that the cheat code itself is not available without the new patch... but that shouldn't be a problem.

Yea like others have mentioned unfortunately you can't collect all of catwomans trophies without Batman. And you can't switch in gsme until you beat the game. So it's really better if you just beat the game first then try for the trophies

There are hints afterwards that will show you where the trophies are, then you can worry about how to get them.

Blah, I get bored of the Riddler combat challenges as soon as they start throwing in Titans and a ton of dudes with guns.

I can beat them, it's not a matter of challenge, it's that the enemies they throw at you aren't fun to fight.

I didn't particularly find the Combat challenges to be tedious once I learned all the new moves.

The predator ones are a huge pain the Bat Ass, however.

Sectus

Blah, I get bored of the Riddler combat challenges as soon as they start throwing in Titans and a ton of dudes with guns.

I can beat them, it's not a matter of challenge, it's that the enemies they throw at you aren't fun to fight.

I'm fairly sure there isn't actually a single Riddler combat challenge with guns. Or are you talking about the campaign levels? There's one "mutator" which adds guns, but you can use it on predator levels instead.

sn00zer

Finished the game and need some help with side missions
How do I find the masked stranger that is mentioned in the loading screens> Also I only found 1 victim of the identity thief is there a way to find the others?

How do I find the masked stranger that is mentioned in the loading screens> Also I only found 1 victim of the identity thief is there a way to find the others?

The first two you will get prompts for. The rest you gotta find them on your own. Supposedly they are all not too far some one another, but I don't remember

BluWacky

The Masked Stranger appears in various high-up places. You have to find them on your own.

The Identity Thief victims are, again, supposed to be stumbled on. You'll find the second victim in an alleyway, but you're given no clue before you get to it.

I'm having huge problems with (sidequest spoilers for endgame)
said Masked Stranger and also the Deadshot missions. The fourth stranger "point" has no-one there, and I get no notification from Oracle about Deadshot's second victim so I can't continue that one. While I'm okay pottering around doing Riddler trophies, I'm not really that fussed about them - I just want to finish the main sidequests, and can't do so because the game won't let me. Is there anything in particular I have to do to trigger the Deadshot mission in particular? I've tried wandering in and out of buildings, have gone away and done a Riddler hostage room and stolen all of Catwoman's loot back... but still nothing. The stranger doesn't bother me so much, but it's still irritating.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Okay I finished the main storyline late last night and I had a great time with it.
Best Calyface fight since Mask of Sin Tzu.

But the plot twist at the end left me way confused and so I have a spoilery question:
So, wait, what? The Joker had Harley steal the cure. So why did he tie her up in the Steel Mill and not take the cure? Or was that Clayface, masquerading as sick Joker? But wasn't Clayface working for Joker? So why didn't Clayface, or Harley, or whomever give the Joker the cure before the big fight with Batman? Did I miss something critical by waiting to rescure Nora and finding I was sucked into the endgame? I'll go rescue her tonight, but I was seriously confused. Freeze had the cure, Joker took Nora to get the cure, but then Harley took the cure, or Clayface took the cure, but Clayface was working for Joker, Batman beat up Clayface, Batman took the cure, Joker was desperate to get the cure from Batman. Why didn't Clayface give Joker the cure his oily damn self? WTF?

Ferrio

Banned
Fuck the Advanced AR training #1. UGH.

Tried for so long, finally look up that you get nothing other than an achievement for doing it. Wish I had known that sooner.

TP

wLPL1l.jpg

VJfKPl.jpg

ztJdBl.jpg

KJ0YSl.jpg

It took me many, many ,many tries to get that predator challenge done with Robin because the enemies kept deciding to stop moving.
I really hope that shit doesn't happen again in the campaigns

But the plot twist at the end left me way confused and so I have a spoilery question:

Talia al Ghul took it from Harley, she says so after escaping from Clayface/Joker and handing it to Batman.

Epcott

This game keeps giving and giving.

Beat it last night, and not only can I continue forward post game with side missions I never completed, but there's also a Game+ too? Nice!

But that ending...
Batman basically acting like "whatever" to a dead or dying Talia and still missing Nora... and choosing only to carry out Joker like a depressed lover would hold his lifeless partner. Am I to believe he just left the others there to die, or is this resolved in side missions? I had called my friend and asked her if I received the "Bad" ending.

...That would be my only gripe, next to the repetitious "clear the room of overpowered goons" gameplay that nearly suffocated me by the end.

This game keeps giving and giving.

Beat it last night, and not only can I continue forward post game with side missions I never completed, but there's also a Game+ too? Nice!

But that ending...
Batman basically acting like "whatever" to a dead or dying Talia and still missing Nora... and choosing only to carry out Joker like a depressed lover would hold his lifeless partner. Am I to believe he just left the others there to die, or is this resolved in side missions? I had called my friend and asked her if I received the "Bad" ending.

...That would be my only gripe, next to the repetitious "clear the room of overpowered goons" gameplay that nearly suffocated me by the end.

You do find Nora in a side mission.

Top Bottom