• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

Sober

Wanted to get into this - but I figured I should play Asylum first. Does that game still hold up? Or should I jump straight into Arkham City? Is Arkham City even considered "better?"
AA is still a fantastic game, I just wouldn't want to do the challenge maps from AA again after what AC offers though.

MrPliskin

Banned
Can anyone help me out? Is there a reason I can't get the 3rd hostage to pop up (Riddler missions)? I'm literally out of side quests (at least on the map) and I want to finish out the riddler stuff.

Dany

Banned
Can anyone help me out? Is there a reason I can't get the 3rd hostage to pop up (Riddler missions)? I'm literally out of side quests (at least on the map) and I want to finish out the riddler stuff.

Collect more trophies and progress the story.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have a question about DLC...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200860/
The seven Batman skins can be used in storyline mode upon completion of main story and all challenge maps.

So is this saying that if you play the game they will unlock normally without buying them, or that you pay extra money for them and then you can't even use them right away?

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Going to center around
Hush
, if I had to guess.

Possibly. But the presence of
Azrael
and the cryptic teasers he gave made me think of
Knightfall
. So whether it's
Hush or Bane (to capitalize on the next movie) or both
as mastermind for a storyline like
Knightfall
would make sense to me.

Here's what I'd like to see:
Batman: Gotham City

The open world nature of this game is the most controversial addition. There's no way they can fill the entire, skyrise-ladened city we saw in the background or Arkham City with enough interesting content for the game to go full Gotham the way they've handled it now. That said, the traversal across the open world WAS entertaining, just not the content within. I think they could expand the game to all of Gotham and the surrounding countryside, including Wayne Manor and the batcave, and give you the traversal and a detailed city without much to interact with. Just a playground to swing and grapnel and glide across.

Giving full Gotham treatment could add more traversal options, the Batmobile, and the Batwing. I know it's all new mechanics I'm asking for but I just don't see Batman swinging across the whole city for 45 minutes being fun. This addition is debatable, and the biggest risk. Maybe you have some street-crime or bank robbery or car chase events in the course of this, but care must be taken not to overdo this ala Spiderman 2. Just enough to give you a few non-repeating optional side missions to establish Batman's presence in all of Gotham city.
Perhaps at times, you switch to Azrael, training under Batman, as a plyable character for these side mission.

So where is he traversing to? Well, if you duplicate some of the plot points of
Hush and Knightfall, you've got a Villain mastermind orchestrating a coordinated breakout/attack from all of Batman's rogue gallery. I mean, the ones who aren't dead.
So, you follow that same plot point, and there are, within the overall city, various arenas where a villain is holed up and presenting some sort of threat. Within these, you get the more tightly concentrated and designed areas like Asylum represented overall, and the subareas of Arkham City represented, like the museum, the steel mill, Wonder City, etc.

I would suggest Stonegate penitentiary (Black Mask), Gotham Zoo (Mad Hatter controls animals!), Wayne Tower (Penguin takes over in revenge against Wayne family), a return to Arkham City (above ground only) in a lesser capacity (Two-Face has taken over), Gotham University (Scarecrow makes his return). Plus more, whatever is good you know. At each of these Batman brings down another arch-villain, taking more and more wear in the process.

Finally he returns to Wayne Manor and the batcave, very injured, where
he is ambushed and beaten, and Bane lifts him up and breaks his back, straight outta Knightfall. Azrael then takes over as the new Batman, your new playable character, complete with costume change and new twists to traversal. Chaos erupts into the streets of Gotham when Bane (and maybe Hush, who could have taken Bruce Wayne's place in the manor) announce the defeat of Batman. That means your side missions intensify.

At some point in an Azrael/Batman mission, maybe during a beatdown, you lose control oF the character and he just starts getting ultra-violent and kicking ass on his own, getting close to killing someone until interrupted by Nightwing. Nightwing is now your new playable character as you follow Azrael/Batman and confront him repeatedly to try and prevent him from killing.

Meanwhile Bruce Wayne, desperate at this turn of events, return to Ra's Al Ghul's lazarus pit in Wonder City. You're playing him rolling in there in the wheelchair, making the hard decision to use the pit rather than have the mantle of the bat tainted by the violence of Azrael. Maybe throw in a freshly reanimated Ra's, that Bruce could battle from the wheelchair.

So Batman returns, and maybe you have to take out an enclave of baddies headquarted within Gotham City Hall. But your final "arena" to infiltrate is then Wayne Manor and the batcave itself, for some payback. Pretty much the Knightfall storyline. I think they hinted at it.

The most controversial idea is representing the full city, and if it's a sticking point you could skip over it and just have "fast travel" via vehicle from one arena to the next. I love the tightly structured areans from Arkham Asylum and City both, but I didn't like the overly dense Riddler trophy presence in City, and I didn't like all the Metroid-style backtracking in Asylum. The freedom of travel in City was great and should remain, the tight structure and clear gameplay segments of Predator vs. Combat vs. Puzzle gameplay of Asylum should come back to the forefront, within these specific areas I mentioned.

So, that's my hope for the next one.

Darkone

Ok, so i started the game and played for 4 hours, when i came back the next day my save game was gone, after google on the net i saw that there is a bug that is deleting the save game, i played 2 more times and again no save game to load.
anyone know a way to to fix this??
I have the 1.01 patch installed.

Dany

Banned
I have a question about DLC...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/200860/

So is this saying that if you play the game they will unlock normally without buying them, or that you pay extra money for them and then you can't even use them right away?

Thats old. If you have the most recent update you can start a new campaign in any skin you want

We also know you want to deliver justice on the streets of Gotham as Batman in your favorite skin, any time and all the time. So using the below cheat, you can select any alternative Batman skin and play them in the main game, without having to complete the full game.

To unlock this, simply press the following combination on the Main Menu screen (after you have selected your save slot):

- Left, Left, Down, Down, Left, Left, Right, Up, Up, Down.

Dice

Another question: Is there a way to make it only display 360 button prompts? It keeps showing keyboard half the time and 360 the other half. It's really annoying.

Ok, so i started the game and played for 4 hours, when i came back the next day my save game was gone, after google on the net i saw that there is a bug that is deleting the save game, i played 2 more times and again no save game to load.
anyone know a way to to fix this??
I have the 1.01 patch installed.
I noticed that this game ran GFWL (I thought the Steam version didn't? Who lied to me?) and I know when I played Fallout 3, one time it didn't log into GFWL and it just started a new save on my HD instead of saving to the cloud, and for some reason there are separate folders on your hard drive for saves from the cloud and offline saves. Might want to check it out.

Sober

Another question: Is there a way to make it only display 360 button prompts? It keeps showing keyboard half the time and 360 the other half. It's really annoying.

I noticed that this game ran GFWL (I thought the Steam version didn't? Who lied to me?) and I know when I played Fallout 3, one time it didn't log into GFWL and it just started a new save on my HD instead of saving to the cloud, and for some reason there are separate folders on your hard drive for saves from the cloud and offline saves. Might want to check it out.

Unless you are moving your mouse with the wire on your 360 or your cat is walking over your keyboard, button prompts shouldn't change as far as I can tell.

Also, I cannot actually find a local save copy on the GFWL side, only in the Steam folders (my cloud is on for that game). Not sure if it's different for retail users. I'd just recommend you back them up regularly. Didn't happen to me until 60 hours in and the lateste one I have before that misses all my NG+ sidequest and campaign progress, so no idea what triggers it (though most people say challenge maps are the culprit).

People say if you are quitting the game you should let the autosave finish (i.e. the spinning circle at the bottom right of the screen). Also, don't be dumb like me and spam your way through the menu screen and save game files to the front; that's how I nuked my save. The slot it was in was empty but I just pressed A through it and wrote a new one on top.

TP

So my 79.4 hrs save file has just disappeared.

hmm...

Edit: All is well, one of the many backups I made in anticipation of disappearing save files worked.
All I lost is my progress in the predator master campaign

Apparently this is a well known issue and pretty widespread :(. Is the game patched to latest update ?

Yes it is

The game crashed after I earned Campaign Bronze a second time. I just checked my GFWL achievements and Campaign Bronze is still shown as locked.
I'm going to have backup my saves after every campaign =|

Darkone

So my 79.4 hrs save file has just disappeared.

hmm...

Edit: All is well, one of the many backups I made in anticipation of disappearing save files worked.
All I lost is my progress in the predator master campaign

Yes it is

The game crashed after I earned Campaign Bronze a second time. I just checked my GFWL achievements and Campaign Bronze is still shown as locked.
I'm going to have backup my saves after every campaign =|

How do i backup the save file and where is it located?

RivalCore

If it's Steam then it goes something like this;

Root - Program Files (x86) - Steam - Userdata - ******** - 57400 - remote.

Just a word of warning, sometimes the files get corrupt and can't be restored (even if you have a back up). I've lost two saves now.

Feature

Banned
From what I can see on the official forums, it's all people who got it on steam that are having the issue. I stopped reading after a couple of pages because though, people were downright spoiling stuff explaining where they were in the campaign when the save file disappeared. So be weary!

Dice

So everyone said get Steam version because it uses Steam, as if it didn't use GFWL, but then it actually does use GFWL and can also lose your saves. Great.

Sober

If you're on Steam I suggest you read this
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2331974

I make a backup before I quit the game, im up to 24 now.
Better safe than sorry
Backup after the autosave while in-game (alt+tab out) instead? I'll try to remember that.

I know people had problems with AA too (Steam or otherwise) but it's just ridiculous in AC because of the amount of content you can go through that losing a save is just disastrous at times.

I don't know exactly how to describe it, but after come out of a dive you don't really need to pull up too much on the stick since Bats will do some sort of auto correcting anyway. I also never had to do any of the "tap RT to balance out" either, you just have to sort of correct his movements to go straight through the tunnel.

On the first attempt in the video it looks like you didn't pull back on the stick but you did after the dive. Try diving closer to the ground and letting the autocorrect do the trick, and only pull up if you need to.

TP

From what I can see on the official forums, it's all people who got it on steam that are having the issue. I stopped reading after a couple of pages because though, people were downright spoiling stuff explaining where they were in the campaign when the save file disappeared. So be weary!

It's not a Steam issue

Retail:
http://community.batmanarkhamcity.c.../11549-PC-lost-saved-game?p=197548#post197548

http://community.batmanarkhamcity.c.../11549-PC-lost-saved-game?p=198206#post198206

360 too
http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/42933/is-there-any-way-to-recover-a-lost-arkham-city-save

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyzRkV8EgBc

Can't find anything on PS3 version
Backup after the autosave while in-game (alt+tab out) instead? I'll try to remember that.

Yeah that's what I do. If im feeling extra paranoid I load up story mode and step in and out of the Courthouse (no reason, just where I was last) to force the game to save again.

Dice

I don't know exactly how to describe it, but after come out of a dive you don't really need to pull up too much on the stick since Bats will do some sort of auto correcting anyway. I also never had to do any of the "tap RT to balance out" either, you just have to sort of correct his movements to go straight through the tunnel.

On the first attempt in the video it looks like you didn't pull back on the stick but you did after the dive. Try diving closer to the ground and letting the autocorrect do the trick, and only pull up if you need to.
I figured out what the deal was. Apparently you need to be pulling up while you are sill in dive before letting go of dive. That gives you way more lateral movement and then you can do a weird up-down wave motion with the left stick to make him go far. The other ARTs were really easy.

I also finally got a good handle on combat. Kickin out 30+ combos now.

Dice

They are? Looked just like my realtime... so I guess good job, Rocksteady?

Sober

Someone posted the "Victor Fries" one that looked pretty good and I'm pretty sure that one is prerendered. Some of them suck though, but it wasn't really that noticeably bad like most games are.

Hi2u

Banned
So is there gonna be any proper dlc for this game or what? Or just shitty challenge riddles revenge crap? If there is then they've been far too late on the ball for it. I'd imagine a lot of people would have traded this game in around now.

Shiv47

I am about a third of the way through new game +, and I still can't get used to the lack of warning on the counters. I had modified my fighting to the punch-evade-punch-evade-etc style when I was doing all the side missions and such in the post game the first time, but it seems less effective on NG+ as I keep getting combos broken up. I've started working in counters when possible, but it's been a decent challenge. It's been annoying that you have to follow certain paths exactly though, such as in the torture chamber, when you are forced to cut down the raft rather than just use the ice raft you've used so many times already.

Shadybiz

I just started playing this a couple of days ago, and am loving it just as much as I did AA. But, I have 2 questions:

1. How do the Riddler pressure plates work? Kind of an odd question, I know. To explain: Some are pretty obvious, like the one that
you step on, and then it lights up a series of question marks, that you have to shoot out with your Batarang.
But, some are odd, like when there is a series of 3 pressure-sensitive ? marks. Sometimes, I can't see what happens when I activate them, even in Detective Mode.

2. This is less vague: During the
Bane Venom Barrel quest
, there is a
barrel in the Steel Mill.
How do I get in there?? Or is that just one that opens up after I get the others, or during the course of the regular storyline?

Thanks in advance.

UrbanRats

^^^
1) It really depends from puzzle to puzzle, some you have to press without touching the ground, other activate other devices and so on.

2) Can't access many of those at first, go on with the story and you'll find them (keep an eye out for them while progressing through the "linear sections", ofcourse).
--
I wish NG+ had an option to turn on the counter signal.
Some people want it harder and that's fine, but how about you give me a choice?

Also, having lost my Batman AA saves once, i'm paranoid about this too, GFWL already caused me several problems (wouldn't start the game, because i had two pad connected, automatically set the Italian dub, making me have to manually change the .ini, for the original dub, and such), that thing is crap, why support it?

Shadybiz

^^^
1) It really depends from puzzle to puzzle, some you have to press without touching the ground, other activate other devices and so on.

2) Can't access many of those at first, go on with the story and you'll find them (keep an eye out for them while progressing through the "linear sections", ofcourse).

1. Press without touching the ground! That makes perfect sense.

2. OK, cool. I gave up on that barrel after searching for a way in for like a half an hour, and just figured I'd run by it soon enough.

Thanks!

Does anyone know how to get the thugs to go the weapon crate on the museum stealth map? I tried disarming a thug by charging a magnet, but he just picked his gun back up instead of going to the crate.

UrbanRats

1. Press without touching the ground! That makes perfect sense.

2. OK, cool. I gave up on that barrel after searching for a way in for like a half an hour, and just figured I'd run by it soon enough.

Thanks!

1) My bad, i meant pressing multiple switches, without touching the ground between one and the other.
But each has its own way of solving it, it was just one example.

2) Same, flown around that steelmill for 15 minutes, before giving up.

Brashnir

picked this up during the Steam sale. Not sure how far into the game I am (
finished the Mr. Freeze boss fight
) but I'm really liking it so far. It's been a long time since there was any
Catwoman
stuff. Is there more later in the game? It seemed early on like it was going to be a common thing, but it just sort of fell by the wayside.

Shiv47

I just started playing this a couple of days ago, and am loving it just as much as I did AA. But, I have 2 questions:

2. This is less vague: During the
Bane Venom Barrel quest
, there is a
barrel in the Steel Mill.
How do I get in there?? Or is that just one that opens up after I get the others, or during the course of the regular storyline?

Thanks in advance.

It is just inside the south entrance that is guarded by a few thugs. As you enter the steel mill through the chimney first, you don't see it immediately, but you can go there and access it anytime. I did it before I visited Joker the first time when I started that quest in NG+. It's literally just inside the door.

Does anyone know how to get the thugs to go the weapon crate on the museum stealth map? I tried disarming a thug by charging a magnet, but he just picked his gun back up instead of going to the crate.

When you have one guy left, jam his gun with the disruptor and let him try to shoot you; when he can't he'll throw his gun down, punch you, and run to the nearest crate.

Beat the PC version over the weekend. Overall, I very much enjoyed this game, and it provoked me to go out and buy Arkham Asylum (for PC, of course).

I definitely did not see some of the plot twists coming, and I was surprised at how many people died, haha.

The visuals on PC are fantastic, and I had no DX11 issues. The soundtrack was great as well. Definitely plan on hitting up NG+ for this game. But first, AA!

Struct09

I completed the game last night, and despite having to deal with mysteriously disappearing save files I absolutely loved the game.

What I liked:

- The combat. Not much more I can say than what's already been said, the enemy encounters in this game are a ton of fun.
- The immersion. I really liked Arkham Asylum because it made you feel like Batman, but this takes it even further. Gliding around Arkham City, sitting on a perch to scout the surrounding area, and landing next to a group of thugs helped the game nail the feeling that you are the goddamned Batman.
- The story and the ending. Story is typically a non-important factor to me in games, but I actually enjoyed the comic book story that this game told. I felt the game wrapped itself up in a satisfying way, and I look forward to see where they take the series from here. Also, I appreciate that they throw you back into the world after the story is over - something every open world game should do.
- The graphics and art style. I played this on PC at 1920x1080 at a solid 60fps, and damn was it gorgeous. Exploring the city was even more of a joy simply because it was so colorful and looked so good.

What I didn't like:

- Lack of boss fights. The boss fights that were in the game were fine, but after completing it I felt there could have been some more. Only a minor complaint, since I'd rather have a small number of good boss fights versus a larger number that included crappy boss fights.
- Too many Riddler Trophies. Kind of a strange to complain about too much content, but by there being so many of these it just caused me to not care about them. I would have collected more if I felt it was feasible to get all of them, but I just don't have the time to invest in collecting 400+ of trophies.
- Save file bug. My save file went corrupt/missing after 8 hours of play. Luckily I had heard about this issue before I started to play so I was backing up my save, and only lost about two hours worth of time. But I had to constantly babysit my save file, and I'm scared to play any more side missions right now due to this bug. Really unfortunate problem for an otherwise amazing game.

I really want to return to the game to clean up some side missions, and will probably do so when they fix the save file bug. But even playing through only the story mode and a couple challenge maps this game is among the top of my favorite games of 2011.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
The ones that are pre-rendered run at 1080p and look pretty good.

They look terrible because it seems they've used the console's version assets.
The transition between the awful cutscene with Wayne doing the conference outside AC and the the first encounter with Hugo Strange is strikingly jarring, the latter in "real time" looks 100x better. In fact it looks incredible.

Anyway, I'm not feeling the game nearly as much as AA (which I loved and was a big surprise for me), I don't know why but the setting and structure of the game has something to do with it of course, I hope it picks up later. :/

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
- Lack of boss fights. The boss fights that were in the game were fine, but after completing it I felt there could have been some more. Only a minor complaint, since I'd rather have a small number of good boss fights versus a larger number that included crappy boss fights.

This is a great criticism. There are a number of final enemy encounters for the side missions that by all rights should end in a big splashy boss fight, but just don't.
Bane's side mission ending, in particular, is very disappointing
I suppose you could say it was because these were side missions, but since the boss fights in the main story were few and far between, I would have appreciated a better crescendo and finish to side missions via a boss fight anyway.

- Too many Riddler Trophies. Kind of a strange to complain about too much content, but by there being so many of these it just caused me to not care about them. I would have collected more if I felt it was feasible to get all of them, but I just don't have the time to invest in collecting 400+ of trophies.

At first I was all like, feh 300 Riddler trophie that's too many I'll never do that. But then I was like, aaaaah yeah, I just picked up the last Riddler trophy.

I'll say this: I got all the Riddler trophies in Arkham Asylum, and that one was a big pain in the ass because of all the laborious Metroid-style backtracking and navigation. The open world of Arkham City makes knocking these trophies out way less encumbered by backtracking. That's how I found myself just taking them on one after the other. At that point, I felt that the number of them was totally reasonable, because you don't spend forever getting to them.

Sectus

I actually prefer how Arkham City handles riddler trophies than Arkham Asylum. They definitely seem more daunting, but there's so much variety to them and I like how many of them are basically mini puzzles. While in Arkham Asylum, the majority of riddler trophies were behind walls you had to blow up, inside vents or behind doors you had to hack. Arkham City does have some redundant riddle trophies, but overall, I found them more fun to hunt for.

Not sure where to turn to, so I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

I finally got around to playing Arkham City today after the Steam sale, and GfWL is mucking it up for me.

The initial launch forced me to update the Games for Windows Live redistributable client, except during the installation it prompts me that the xlive.cab file from the installer has been corrupted and I can't finish the update.

No GfWL, no save games.

Anyone else ever ran across this problem?

Struct09

At first I was all like, feh 300 Riddler trophie that's too many I'll never do that. But then I was like, aaaaah yeah, I just picked up the last Riddler trophy.

I'll say this: I got all the Riddler trophies in Arkham Asylum, and that one was a big pain in the ass because of all the laborious Metroid-style backtracking and navigation. The open world of Arkham City makes knocking these trophies out way less encumbered by backtracking. That's how I found myself just taking them on one after the other. At that point, I felt that the number of them was totally reasonable, because you don't spend forever getting to them.

Cool, you've sparked my interest. I'll revisit them when I don't have to worry about my save file disappearing :p

Top Bottom