• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City |OT| Smashin' Faces, Glidin' Places

One thing I noticed when waiting in line to play it at new York comic con...Majority of these people are fucking horrible trying to play the game. Mashing the shit out of the X button and getting punched in the face. All while keeping detective mode on. Argh! Just wanted to reach over and grab the controller and hit LB. I mean at least look at the killer detail and design of everything!

Amir0x

Banned
Fjordson said:
Haha, alrighty then.

It's the nature of the sad state of games "journalism." Thems the breaks these days.

Anyone can spend some time with the game at Comic Con to know it's going to be a good game though. Panel made me really hyped.

GeoramA

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I'm curious about how the PS3 version compares as well. I'm about to bite on this but if there are technical problems I'll probably wait for PC release.
IGN's video review shows the PS3 version a lot. It looks fine.

FHIZ

keltickennedy said:
One thing I noticed when waiting in line to play it at new York comic con...Majority of these people are fucking horrible trying to play the game. Mashing the shit out of the X button and getting punched in the face. All while keeping detective mode on. Argh! Just wanted to reach over and grab the controller and hit LB. I mean at least look at the killer detail and design of everything!

Hate that too. I'm no 100 combo easy expert, but I can play the game, and being forced to watch someone suck while you can't play is infuriating. I have the same anger when there are gameplay videos online where people just suck... especially if they're from the big pro sites.

Nice avatar too.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Amir0x said:
People who say Arkham Asylum or City have the best action melee combat system may indeed have an "opinion" on the matter, but it is an objectively wrong one and they should feel bad.

What's better?

Amir0x

Banned
Evolved1 said:
What's better?

Devil May Cry has a better melee combat system, Bayonetta has a better melee combat system, hell even God of War has a deeper and more layered melee combat system. I am even tempted to say El Shaddai has a better one.

Batman's combat system LOOKS cool as hell and it is fun in its own way, but it really is quite shallow. And yes, I beat all the challenge rooms and know the ins and outs of high comboing, it's just not particularly deep is all compared to the true kings of the melee combat genre.

And I say this as someone who LOVES Arkham Asylum and cannot wait to get Arkham City.

Bloodsent

Has anyone that has gotten a hold of their copy early (that preordered) been able to confirm if you can play your first playthrough with one of the custom skins, either for Catwoman or Batman? I keep hearing conflicting information about only getting to use them on subsequent playthroughs.

Jintor

Amir0x said:
Devil May Cry has a better melee combat system, Bayonetta has a better melee combat system, hell even God of War has a deeper and more layered melee combat system. I am even tempted to say El Shaddai has a better one.

Batman's combat system LOOKS cool as hell and it is fun in its own way, but it really is quite shallow. And yes, I beat all the challenge rooms and know the ins and outs of high comboing, it's just not particularly deep is all compared to the true kings of the melee combat genre.

And I say this as someone who LOVES Arkham Asylum and cannot wait to get Arkham City.

Get a chance to play much Arkham City combat at CC? I quite like all the subtle tweaks.

Bloodsent said:
Has anyone that has gotten a hold of their copy early (that preordered) been able to confirm if you can play your first playthrough with one of the custom skins, either for Catwoman or Batman? I keep hearing conflicting information about only getting to use them on subsequent playthroughs.

From what I have heard is that the skins are able to be worn after beating the game or in a new game + play through. I could be wrong though, so don't quote me on that.

Feep said:
Spoilers there, buddy.

But anyway,
The entrance is a bit hard to find...you have to go to the lowest level you can, and use the electric charge gun to open up a gate, if I recall correctly.

That's what I did, but it opens only minimally.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Played 2 hours.
Make sure you dl, install the catwoman DLC. the way she moves is fucking awesome.

I couldn't do that yesterday on PSN. :(

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I've been playing for a couple of hours (PS3 version) and its pretty darn cool. I like everything but the combat. So, just like the first game to me. Combat was always weak to me. Feels like Assassin's Creed's with a pointless combo meter stacked on top to get the illusion of depth.

I'm sad to say that players will still spend a ton of time in detective mode. =/

Everything else is pretty damned fun though!

Jintor

Kintaro said:
I've been playing for a couple of hours (PS3 version) and its pretty darn cool. I like everything but the combat. So, just like the first game to me. Combat was always weak to me. Feels like Assassin's Creed's with a pointless combo meter stacked on top to get the illusion of depth.

Pointless?

Pointless?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jintor said:
Pointless?

Pointless?

I just never cared for it. It's not very difficult (even at its hardest, in AA anyway) and always felt goofy to see Batman hopping around on crack, punching dude after dude while waiting to counter and continue.

I can see why people dig it, I just never did.

Amir0x said:

I thought DMC and Bayonetta had terrible combat, but then I am horribly prejudiced against anime-style combat (and don't even say Arkham Asylum's take on Batman combat was anime-ish because he could jump across to attack people). Having a laundry list of combos, swords the size of small cars and spectacular scripted finishing moves does not make for fun and interesting combat. It might well be deeper, more challenging and more intricate, but so is the melee combat is Street Fighter 4, but I don't like that either. I'm not talking about depth or complexity of the combat, I'm talking about immersiveness and fun.

Jintor

DrBo42 said:
So what's the deal with the smoke pellet? Is it only available when the prompt is on screen? Inform me, GAF.

Basically, if you get spotted by mans with guns, you can smoke pellet.

So I'd like the answer to this question that was asked and not answered: Are the cutscenes pre-rendered like in AA?!

Coz if they are, alternate costumes won't show in them;

Yo Gotti

Banned
krameriffic said:
I thought DMC and Bayonetta had terrible combat, but then I am horribly prejudiced against anime-style combat.

Buffed up steroid Batman is so much cooler.

Anyway, Batman's combat does not compare DMC or Bayonetta. It's a fun game, but the comparison is laughable.

DrBo42

Jintor said:
Basically, if you get spotted by mans with guns, you can smoke pellet.

Cheers. Do they have a chance to hit you when it's deployed or is there an invulnerability based on particle density? Can't wait to fuck with armed thugs.

hamchan

Of course Batman's combat is shallow. He doesn't need to learn any long ass combos just to damage his foes. He's the goddamn Batman.

hamchan

Buckethead said:
Batman's combat... shallow?

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Sure is. I could probably finish every single fight in the first game without getting once.

Also, Shallow =/= bad. I thought the fighting was glorious and incredibly enjoyable to play.

Doomrider

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
So I'd like the answer to this question that was asked and not answered: Are the cutscenes pre-rendered like in AA?!

Coz if they are, alternate costumes won't show in them;
Someone, please answer this question.

Although, judging by the E3 demo footage, I would say that yes, they are.

Vol5 said:
God rays / light shards are in the PS3 version.
I'm a happy dude.

hamchan said:
Sure is. I could probably finish every single fight in the first game without getting once.
That doesn't really have much to do with depth.
You were probably playing on easy. In addition the first game is more about stealth and technique than fighting.

The criticism comes off as people looking for something to complain about rather than being legitimate.

hamchan

Buckethead said:
That doesn't really have much to do with depth.
You were probably playing on easy. In addition the first game is more about stealth and technique than fighting.

The criticism comes off as people looking for something to complain about rather than being legitimate.

No, I was playing on the hardest difficulty and I beat all the combat challenges as well...

RPGCrazied

So, the people that have played the PS3 version. How does it stack up? I'm surprised none of the reviews talked about performance on the console versions.

Jintor

Lifejumper said:
A question. Did you upgrade most of your things in your playtrough?

Nope. Did my best though.

Cheers. Do they have a chance to hit you when it's deployed or is there an invulnerability based on particle density? Can't wait to fuck with armed thugs.

They don't bother firing, they're too shocked

Bat's combat in AA was largely shallow, but they have added more things to manage mid-combat.

From memory... yeah. Prerendered baby.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Been on a media blackout for this game.

I know once it's released, it will be hard to avoid spoilers and footage.

Damn you PC version for being delayed!

I just keep reminding myself that i got it for 15$ to keep me sane.

masterkajo

AwesomeSauce said:
Been on a media blackout for this game.

I know once it's released, it will be hard to avoid spoilers and footage.

Damn you PC version for being delayed!

I just keep reminding myself that i got it for 15$ to keep me sane.
Care to share where?

masterkajo

AwesomeSauce said:
I bought a key on ebay. Someone had an auction selling the vouchers for AC that came with nvidia cards.

Its on my steam list now, can't wait to preload and play lol.
Uh... sounds awesome. Maybe I keep my eye open for one too.

v1oz

Amir0x said:

Yes but Batman isn't the same type of game as Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden etc. Batman is more Metroidvania-ishh with lots of adventure and exploration.

It's like saying the sword fighting mechanics in Zelds aren't deep enough. Or the combat in Half Life isn't as good as Halo (or Golden Eye 007).

Top Bottom