• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

If you didn't like the cbat and stealth and exploration, they're all still here just refined and expanded upon.

Now you also have arial traversal via the grapple and gliding (which is a very fun mechanic, never gets old), and the Batmobile pursuit and tank modes (opinions divided, I think it's awesome).

The open world is more a theme park to exploit the mechanics than a regular rpg world. There are no NPC quest givers, you can't go inside most buildings, etc... It's an action game with a large play pen. It's very well designed. It retains the Meroid type unlocking of items you can backtrack with to unlock new areas which many find appealing.

The game a incredibly varied too, you have:

Fighting
Stealth
Ariel traversal
Racing
Tank combat
Mild detective work
Puzzles
Lots of side quests with excellent characters
A well paced main campaign
An extensive upgrade system

If you really didn't enjoy Asylum there may be enough here to convince you. It's a fantastic game and nails the batman experience dead to the wall.

Risk it, imo.

Thanks a lot for your response. I did like Asylum - just felt a bit repetitive towards the end. But it has been long enough that it will probably feel novel for a while.

Tea Time

Neo Member
One thing I absolutely cannot get down is tapping R2 to deal with rushing enemies. I think I've done it successfully a grand total of two or three times, and that's in quite a few hours of playing. Am I supposed to tap it at the very moment the enemy makes contact with me, or...?

You actually tap L2 (Quick Batarang) as they rush towards you and it knocks them out in one shot.

Cindro

The family is getting ready to head out for the day, so I'll have the house all to myself.

You know what that means...

Justice is about to be served! Some like it hot, some like it cold, SOME LIKE IT IN BATMAN'S POT NINE DAYS OLD

But first, no superhero should fight on a hungover Saturday morning without loading up on BBQ chicken pizza. To the Batmobile! Pow! Bam! BIFF!

Alienous

The Scarecrow Nightmare DLC really makes the trophy for completing all of the challenge maps (or getting 69 stars) a lot easier.

Instead of having to complete all of the challenges to 3 stars you have an additional 9 stars from the Scarecrow Nightmare missions to get (and they aren't too difficult).

Future

So finished it. Would like to play to start a higher difficulty play through... Is that what new game plus is? I started it to see if there were difficulty options but it immediately it started a cut scene of the intro and I quit immediately (buddy wants to see it from the start)

What is new game plus besides keeping all the riddler trophy progress? Does it keep my skill progression while making the game harder? Should I just start a new regular game on hard mode?

adj_noun

Just had my first PS4 lockup while playing this, hoping its the game that caused it and not my PS4. I had to pull the plug to allow it to turn back on, and then it booted straight into safe mode and did a system check.

It's happened to me a few times. Same deal.

Fortunately it's never happened during a save.

The Scarecrow Nightmare DLC really makes the trophy for completing all of the challenge maps (or getting 69 stars) a lot easier.

Instead of having to complete all of the challenges to 3 stars you have an additional 9 stars from the Scarecrow Nightmare missions to get (and they aren't too difficult).

Platform exlusive?

Lasty95

Not quite at the end just yet (70% through the main story apparently) and I'm already completely bowled over by it. Love the car, love the city, love all the little tweaks etc, but what's really impressing me is the narrative.

The story telling in this is supurb - easily the best in the series. Not just the actual twists and turns of it, but the way it's told is amazing. So much thought into the characters, the framing, the mocap/voice work etc it's truly stellar stuff. Already up there with the big hitters for me (Portal, tLoU ... er...?)

Can't wait to see what happens.

Not quite at the end just yet (70% through the main story apparently) and I'm already completely bowled over by it. Love the car, love the city, love all the little tweaks etc, but what's really impressing me is the narrative.

The story telling in this is supurb - easily the best in the series. Not just the actual twists and turns of it, but the way it's told is amazing. So much thought into the characters, the framing, the mocap/voice work etc it's truly stellar stuff. Already up there with the big hitters for me (Portal, tLoU ... er...?)

I agree.

Zakalwe

Banned
Started over from the beginning due to the game-breaking glitch I encountered. Sucks, but at least I was "only" 20% through the game (or maybe just the main story? I don't know whether that percentage is for overall completion or not).

One thing I absolutely cannot get down is tapping R2 to deal with rushing enemies. I think I've done it successfully a grand total of two or three times, and that's in quite a few hours of playing. Am I supposed to tap it at the very moment the enemy makes contact with me, or...?

Wait till they're running and press L2. Can link it seamlessly with a strike or counter. I like when they appear, gives more opportunity for combo!

Blader

Yeah the presentation is really superb, I think the most impressive moment for me so far (60% into the main story) was
returning to the Clock Tower and seeing the room slowly morph into Barbara's apartment and watching her get shot by Joker.

gogogow

Lucius told me the second upgrade for the batmobile was ready. I have to go pickup it myself, right? Where do I go? I went to the Wayne Tower (SE of the map) and wasn't there. Anyone know?

Zakalwe

Banned
Lucius told me the second upgrade for the batmobile was ready. I have to go pickup it myself, right? Where do I go? I went to the Wayne Tower (SE of the map) and wasn't there. Anyone know?

It should mark it for you. Select the main quest and it will guide you there.

Alienous

No. As I understand, you only need to complete 7 out of the 11 Most Wanted missions

Completing a certain number of Most Wanted missions enables you to see half.

The full thing requires you do all the Riddler trophies, along with all the other side-missions.

Without spoilers, is there any suit damage in the game for Nightwing during the story? Or can I switch his costume to the New 52 one a d not miss anything visualy?

Lasty95

Yeah the presentation is really superb, I think the most impressive moment for me so far (60% into the main story) was
returning to the Clock Tower and seeing the room slowly morph into Barbara's apartment and watching her get shot by Joker.

Man, I actually forgot about that bit. Yeah, that was proper awesome. Hell of a moment.

But you ain't seen nothing yet!

MattyG

Banned
Completing a certain number of Most Wanted missions enables you to see half.

The full thing requires you do all the Riddler trophies, along with all the other side-missions.
Without spoilers, can I do the normal ending, finish everything up and THEN do the "full ending", or do I have to do everything before I do the normal ending?

Yeah she's easily the worst performance in the game which is sad because it has a stellar voice cast. Ivy, Selina and Barbara are really good in this game. Time for her and Conroy to hand in their Batman voice cast cowls up.

I feel bad but I really really want an Arkham Collection or something like it for the PS4. I'd love to give Asylum and City another play.

Looking at your avatar reminds me that Selena might be my favorite performance in the game.

That and Troy Baker's phony tough guy barely hiding the broken, petulant, pissed off child inside

Wasn't feeling this at first but after you lock more side missions and new islands it starts clicking, I do wish they eliminated the tank stuff entirely, I just love driving around the streets like a badass and hate having to stop to wipeout tanks every 5 seconds.

Can someone tell me after the main missions are done is the city streets empty of tanks so I can drive around Gotham like a badass all day long?

Also the different ways you seamlessly jump into the bat mobile is just sublime, the camera work is insane. My favourite is dropping off a tall building and timing it perfectly so u land straight in the cockpit

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

ElRenoRaven

Wasn't feeling this at first but after you lock more side missions and new islands it starts clicking, I do wish they eliminated the tank stuff entirely, I just love driving around the streets like a badass and hate having to stop to wipeout tanks every 5 seconds.

Can someone tell me after the main missions are done is the city streets empty of tanks so I can drive around Gotham like a badass all day long?

Also the different ways you seamlessly jump into the bat mobile is just sublime, the camera work is insane. My favourite is dropping off a tall building and timing it perfectly so u land straight in the cockpit

Yup. Once you have beaten the campaign and destroyed all the tanks the final time they stay gone.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
first time in years I screamed during playing a game.
I had a cutszene jumped to the next ledge and one of those bat human things suddenly screamed in my face.
I screamed so loud my girlfriend also had a jump scare lol.

Canucked

Does anyone else feel like if R2 is accelerate then L2 should be reverse? Every time I wanna back up I go into tank mode. It's like brain programming from some other game I can't kick...

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
first time in years I screamed during playing a game.
I had a cutszene jumped to the next ledge and one of those bat human things suddenly screamed in my face.
I screamed so loud my girlfriend also had a jump scare lol.

Yeah, that's gonna get everyone :p

Some of the jump scares are just annoying more than anything else though.

So I finally arrived to the infamous part of the game... gee, what were they thinking? From 80% to 90% theres a drop in the fun departament, I love the Batmobile but there are two specific parts that are just frustrating. Hope that the story close well :S

Zakalwe

Banned
Does anyone else feel like if R2 is accelerate then L2 should be reverse? Every time I wanna back up I go into tank mode. It's like brain programming from some other game I can't kick...

Switch to toggle tank mode in the gameplay options.

Moves tank to R1 as a toggle, break to L2. Controls much better, especially in extended Tank battles where pursuit mode is redundant.

Question about the game near the end (spoilers) PLEASE HELP

I'm in an alley and have been fighting jokers for 20 minutes, they just keep coming. My hand is sore from mashing the buttons, am I doing something wrong or is my game glitched?

ta155

I really do feel for anyone unable to look beyond some of the admittedly grating tank combat and enjoy the rest of the game. It really is remarkable how well polished it all is, how they've perfected the systems we've seen in the prior games, and how incredible it looks.

Absolutely nailed the Batman experience, the issues with the tank stuff are worth swallowing because of what else the Batmobile brings to the table. Speeding through the streets and ejecting into the air.... incredible!

And for the segment of Gaf that see Origins as the pinnacle, something I'll never understand, there's some great nods to that game in here as well. Glad to see the replaying crime scene stuff make a return!

So, might be a bit of a spoiler, but I found something while exploring that's perplexing me, because it's something pretty random and no character makes any comment on it when I get close to it, so I'm wondering if it's just a reference to something.

http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...777/9651389462B498B70B4BB19D29D602E4B52C1650/

They're just frozen there, like someone put them there like this as some kind of creepy art form.

Scanning it tells you everything you need to know.

Zsasz did it, and it's the solution to a Riddle in that area.

delSai

So what Skin are you guys using for Bats? I'm rocking the Anime/Gotham Knight skin. Looks pretty good in-game actually.

Top Bottom