• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Neff

Best way to avoid bullet fire? rolling?

Sabotage guns, sneak up on them, or stay the hell away. There's really no other option. Even maxed out bullet-resistant armour only goes so far. If you're up against more than one gun-toting enemy and they're aware of your presence, get out of there.

GeoGonzo

I'm playing this on hard, now I'm regretting not upgrading my Batmobile armor. Been stuck on this fight with tanks and a Helicopter
after rescuing the chemical workers.
for an hour already.
You probably already finished that fight but in case you haven't, I'll say I had some trouble too till I noticed
you can shoot at the tank with the main weapon AND the machinegun at once. It'll chew through its armor much, much faster.

Akai__

Azrael spoilers ahead:

What happens if you try to kill the Batman at the end of Azraels side mission? I broke the sword, because I was scared of the outcome. :p

Just finished the game. I think my major complaint is the super shitty boss fights, where's the creativity. Otherwise, I think this might be my favorite Arkham game, at least on par with Asylum

Alienous

Azrael spoilers ahead:

What happens if you try to kill the Batman at the end of Azraels side mission? I broke the sword, because I was scared of the outcome. :p

Batman
dodges, makes Azrael look like a fool, reminds him that it was always his choice, and puts his ass in jail.

I enjoyed the game but didn't like the Arkham Knight's overall arc. Any chance he'll be in future dlc? I felt Rocksteady pushed him in the shadows so that they could focus more on Scrarecrow.

Also, I hope their upcoming story dlc will be better than what we got with Red Hood and Harley Quinn.

Holy shit, potential mid-game/late-game spoilers:

Did Joker-illucination just drop the bomb that Bats has Joker blood? He's the 5th victim?! WHAAAATT?!

Also, prediction for Arkahm Knight:

Jason Todd. The Red Hood DLC means he exists in some capacity in this universe, and he seems to know Batman really well.

That means he'll bitch about Bats not killing people; I assume a late game reveal is that the drone tanks AREN'T unmanned, and he's been frying like hundreds of people with explosives.

Always plan out your approach. You are Batman. Use the disrupter to scout out the area, deactivate guns, disrupting the same gun twice will cause it to explode when it is fired (unlockable upgrade) you can also set ammo boxes to explode when opened. In combat there are a variety of ways to stop gun wielding enemies. When you hear the sound of an enemy loading a clip, simply quick toss a batarang to knock him down. Or if you have the upgrade, quick fire the batclaw to disarm him. You can pretty much quickfire any gadget to stop them from shooting. Waiting a little longer after hearing the clip being loaded you can also drop smoke, though there is a long cooldown after using it once. If you have you combo built up you can also do a weapon dismantle where batman will take apart the weapon. (also a ability unlock)

In open combat, throw a Batarang. As long as you aim in roughly the right direction, Batman's Batarang aim will prioritise the most dangerous targets, which are the gun-wielders. The Disarm and Destroy special move (X+Y or Square+Triangle) can be used to break guns, but obviously you need to have a special move stored up.

In predator sequences, Batarangs also work wonders. Sprint straight at a guy with a gun and just keep Quickfiring Batarangs to keep him stunned until you can get up close. The quickest way to take someone down when you aren't worried about stealth is to sprint at them, slide into their legs and then immediately transition into a Ground Takedown. You can also use the Batclaw to yank the guns right out of their hands (I think this requires an upgrade, though).

But, yeah, generally you want to approach the gun dudes with care. Use the Disruptor to disable as many guns as you can before you start.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Very helpful.

I had to put my 'skills'to the test when rescuing a fire fighter from a bunch of thugs with weapons, tasers and shields. Took me like 6 attempts but I finally defeated them after reading some of the button prompts on screen. Lolz.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished everything in the story, making me part of <0.1% of players on PS4 to do so (not a brag, nothing to be proud of, it's just crazy that they locked credits and the ending behind the Riddler stuff that the OVERWHELMING majority of players will not finish).

I'm super impressed with the game. I always thought Arkham City was a good proof of concept. A curiosity, I guess. Like, wow, you make Asylum work in an open world. It was never a must play for me, though. Most of the campaign was forgettable. My advice was always "definitely play Asylum, check out City afterwards if you really need more".

So, whodathunkit, Arkham Knight feels like the actual realisation of all the potential City had. Asylum and Knight are still very, very different games and I like both for different reasons, but Knight is the sort of game I'd recommend to people without reservations. There's an attention to detail coupled with a ridiculous scope that reminds me of a game like Resident Evil 4 or Metroid Prime. The way it plays with scale is pretty much unprecedented. Consider: you're driving around, launching out into the sky, drifting across the whole map in seconds, landing in an outdoor predator mission, jumping off that same building and gliding out into the city, landing in an "indoor environment" like the airship, hopping out and taking out a drone then landing back on the road and solving an intricate little puzzle and then calling the bat mobile and completely changing your relationship with the god damn same space all without a loading screen or hitch. It's the first game I've played that feels like it couldn't have been done on previous gen hardware.

So, mm, good work, Rocksteady.

SJRB

Gold Member
Thanks everyone for the replies. Very helpful.

I had to put my 'skills'to the test when rescuing a fire fighter from a bunch of thugs with weapons, tasers and shields. Took me like 6 attempts but I finally defeated them after reading some of the button prompts on screen. Lolz.

I know exactly which one you mean, took me like 5 tries as well. Things can get pretty complex once you have to deal with 4 different archetypes.

El_Cinefilo

Without giving Spoilers obvs can I finish the story and then clear up all the side stuff and do just the last mission again to get the better ending?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Without giving Spoilers obvs can I finish the story and then clear up all the side stuff and do just the last mission again to get the better ending?
You don't get the actual ending until you've finished everything. You get some closure on the main thing, but once it's done the game treats it like you've finished a very large side mission. You can then choose to trigger the ending.

El_Cinefilo

You don't get the actual ending until you've finished everything. You get some closure on the main thing, but once it's done the game treats it like you've finished a very large side mission. You can then choose to trigger the ending.

Ah that's cool, I was worried I'd have to save the last story mission until I'd found every damn riddler trophy!

Footos22

Man that Harley dlc was fucking awful

Def not getting that season pass if this is the best they can come up with each month

loving the main game though.

Def not getting that season pass if this is the best they can come up with each month

That was just an incentive with new copies of the game. I hope that the paid dlc with be meatier. Though, I have I feeling it might not be. The Batgirl stuff takes place in a "new location". Hopefully that isn't the size of the GCPD in the Harley story.

Started this tonight. Looooooooove calling in the Batmobile. So Batswag. It also controls really nicely; Arkham Rally, if you will.

Question about the very first firefighter rescue mission, Gaf: I'm getting no objective markers after the first guy at the Docks. Is that normal? Am I meant to just explore?

Cheers.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Started this tonight. Looooooooove calling in the Batmobile. So Batswag. It also controls really nicely; Arkham Rally, if you will.

Question about the very first firefighter rescue mission, Gaf: I'm getting no objective markers after the first guy at the Docks. Is that normal? Am I meant to just explore?

Cheers.
Yeah, look out for clusters of enemies on the map and radio chatter about hostages.

Every now and then (based on story progress), the words "Intel" appear over the side quest icon in the menu. This means Alfred will point you to the exact side quest location. But you can progress without the Intel icon.

Alienous

That was just an incentive with new copies of the game. I hope that the paid dlc with be meatier. Though, I have I feeling it might not be. The Batgirl stuff takes place in a "new location". Hopefully that isn't the size of the GCPD in the Harley story.

They distinguish between the Batgirl and 'Season of Infamy' DLC and the Red Hood / Harley DLC. The latter are called 'Arkham stories', or something like that, so they are probably supposed to be shorter insights. The Batgirl and 'Season of Infamy' DLC's will probably be larger.

If neither has battle-mode on the Batmobile I might be interested.

Cheers.

Yeah, you will get intel from GCPD from time to time, or you can go searching around yourself using detective mode. Spotting it out will mark it on your map so you can come back to it later if you are already doing something else.

One huge problem I'm having with the game is having to track side quest through local surveillance signal. Maybe I've become spoiled over the years but just tell me where the objective is, searching is taking some the enjoyment away.

Alienous

One huge problem I'm having with the game is having to track side quest through local surveillance signal. Maybe I've become spoiled over the years but just tell me where the objective is, searching is taking some the enjoyment away.

Don't worry about that. The game will prompt you with 'Intel' that will give you a more accurate location to search after long enough if you don't find something yourself. Just keep an ear out as you navigate the city, and look for clusters of thugs who might be doing more than looting. But you don't need to actively search things out. You'll stumble across some, and intel will point you to others.

Have you cleared out all the towers and flying drones? More GCPD helicopters in the sky will provide more intel.

Appreciate it, Batmen.

giphy.gif

ekim

Played about 3 hours so far and I must say so far it's the best entry in the series, hands down. Love how side missions are handled in this game. And it looks stunning even on Xbox One.

Don't worry about that. The game will prompt you with 'Intel' that will give you a more accurate location to search after long enough if you don't find something yourself. Just keep an ear out as you navigate the city, and look for clusters of thugs who might be doing more than looting. But you don't need to actively search things out. You'll stumble across some, and intel will point you to others.

Have you cleared out all the towers and flying drones? More GCPD helicopters in the sky will provide more intel.

Thanks for the tips. I'm one of those that likes to knock out as many side quest as possible before doing main missions.

So far I'm really liking the story and city traversal. However it seems to me like there's too much focus on the Batmobile for figuring out puzzles and just in general for missions.

Also, I'm having a hard time with finding side missions. I'll sit and listen to the radio but when I hear something I'm interested in following up on the chatter ends too quickly and I lose them before I can find the area they're in. Is there any other way aside from spotting the talker in detective vision to track the radio chatter?

EDIT: Totally missed the advice just posted as I was writing this. Oops.

It seems like the Batgirl DLC might be a decently-sized thing on the level of the Harley DLC for City and Cold Cold Heart for Origins, but after playing the Arkham Knight Harley thing I'm really regretting going for the season pass. I'm guessing it'll be mostly skins, more tank battle challenges, the Challenge Rooms that should have been in the base game to begin with and maybe one or two actually good things if we're lucky.

Travo

Without spoiling anything, is there a major lack of bosses in this game or do they appear more frequently later? I'm at 30% and can only recall
the helicopter at Ace Chemicals.

Without spoiling anything, is there a major lack of bosses in this game or do they appear more frequently later? I'm at 30% and can only recall
the helicopter at Ace Chemicals.

There's a major lack of bosses fought on foot (a complete lack, in fact, if you're hoping for something on the level of City or Origins' bosses), but the game has you covered with Batmobile bosses. No lack of those.

Yeah, I would have loved some proper boss fights. I'm not usually keen on them in modern games, but they just feel like something that should be in this type of game, especially this series. Pretty disappointing.

MacBosse

Anyone else manage to fly across the city so fast that the game actually had to load for a second? I was swinging like a true batman across the town when it flashed a batman icon on the middle of the screen like it was loading. I'm just that fast suckas.

Alienous

Anyone else manage to fly across the city so fast that the game actually had to load for a second? I was swinging like a true batman across the town when it flashed a batman icon on the middle of the screen like it was loading. I'm just that fast suckas.

That's nothing. I was moving so fast through Gotham once that Warner Bros sent me a copy of Sonic Free Riders for Xbox 360 and Kinect.

Yeah, I would have loved some proper boss fights. I'm not usually keen on them in modern games, but they just feel like something that should be in this type of game, especially this series. Pretty disappointing.

There aren't any boss fights? Geez...that hurts my enthusiasm a whole lot. One of my favorite parts of this series is facing off against the Rogue's Gallery as the motherfuckig Batman. Seems like Rocksteady focused too much on the Batmobile.

MacBosse

There aren't any boss fights? Geez...that hurts my enthusiasm a whole lot. One of my favorite parts of this series is facing off against the Rogue's Gallery as the motherfuckig Batman. Seems like Rocksteady focused too much on the Batmobile.

Yeah I've completed roughly 50% of the story (and alot of side stuff) and you can really tell that alot of the focus is on the batmobile. I like it though but I can really understand the complaints about it since it AK takes a few steps away from the supertight bossfights and encounters to a more free approach. AK does alot of the Ubisoft-formula kind of stuff only alot better. Regardless it's easy to see why some would get somewhat bored of the repetetive nature of hunting down the same enemy several times in exacly the same fashion
(Firefly Im looking at you)

I would rate the Batman games AA>AK>AO>AC. All really great games.

There is one tower in Bleake (or whatever the island with GCPD on it) that I can't seem to find. Is that tied to progress through the main story? Is there any good way of finding ones that haven't been cleared?

I just completed a side mission that ends with a decently challenging boss encounter, just not a boss in the traditional sense.

It seems like the Batgirl DLC might be a decently-sized thing on the level of the Harley DLC for City and Cold Cold Heart for Origins, but after playing the Arkham Knight Harley thing I'm really regretting going for the season pass. I'm guessing it'll be mostly skins, more tank battle challenges, the Challenge Rooms that should have been in the base game to begin with and maybe one or two actually good things if we're lucky.

Season Pass Content:

Batgirl: A Matter of Family
An all new prequel story expansion in an entirely new location where you play as Batgirl for the very first time in the Arkham series - check out the first render of Batgirl.

The Season of Infamy
Play as Batman in all new story missions featuring legendary super-villains invading Gotham City, with new story arcs, missions and gameplay features.

Gotham City Stories
Play as Batman&#8217;s key allies in narrative missions extending their storylines, from both before and after the events in Batman: Arkham Knight.

Legendary Batmobiles with Themed Tracks
Drive the most iconic Batmobiles from Batman&#8217;s 75-year history, on custom-built race tracks, each themed to that Batmobile&#8217;s specific era. Every Batmobile will be drivable across every race track.

Crimefighter Challenge Maps
Engage in a series of new challenge maps utilizing the unique play styles of Batman and his allies.

Character Skins
A variety of skins from across the eras for Batman, Robin, Nightwing and Catwoman. As we fully ramp up development on the Season Pass, we will be sharing even more details on each monthly content drop. We hope you enjoy playing Batman: Arkham Knight as much as we&#8217;ve enjoyed making it."

Alienous

There is one tower in Bleake (or whatever the island with GCPD on it) that I can't seem to find. Is that tied to progress through the main story? Is there any good way of finding ones that haven't been cleared?

Just looking out for red lights helps. I do recall having trouble finding one 'tower' because it was on a really low rooftop, so have a look for those.

Just started last night. This game is awesome. When you had to drive on the wall in that first Riddler mission felt great. There is a lot of focus on the Batmobile and I like the fear takedowns as well. Upgrading Wayne Tech reminds me of the Ratchet and Clank upgrade.

0racle

Just started last night. This game is awesome. When you had to drive on the wall in that first Riddler mission felt great. There is a lot of focus on the Batmobile and I like the fear takedowns as well. Upgrading Wayne Tech reminds me of the Ratchet and Clank upgrade.

It would be nice if the screen rotated as well. I find it a bit disorienting

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I haven't played any of the Rocksteady Batman games (but own the first 2 for PC). Should I start the series with Arkham Knight? I doubt I would play through more than 1.

I've been having some serious issues with this game installing on my PS4 (not having the same issue with any other games). So I installed the game and loaded the updates before I started playing on Wednesday. The game ran fine until a cutscene, about 2 hours into the game. It stopped and said that the game needed to finish installing. It sat at that screen and the timer never moved, it only let me back out of the game. I tried restarting, unplugging and goofing with the PS4 to get it to work, but it kept freezing at the same point. I then deleted and reinstalled the game/update. I sit down this morning to play, throw the disc back in, and it acts like it's the first time it has had that disc in the PS4, installing and looking for updates, etc.

Do I have a bad disc? Has anyone experienced this issue with Batman, or any other games?

Top Bottom