• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Regginator

Welp, I guess the
full Operation Knightfall
is locked behind all Riddler trophies? Guess I'll be seeing that ending on YouTube then. I've done everything else, but I can't be too bothered with finding all the trophies.

Welp, I guess the
full Operation Knightfall
is locked behind all Riddler trophies? Guess I'll be seeing that ending on YouTube then. I've done everything else, but I can't be too bothered with finding all the trophies.

Yeah it sucks when devs do things like this but thank god for YouTube.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Press L2 the second you notice a charging enemy, and it'll quickfire a Batarang for an instant takedown.

You actually tap L2 (Quick Batarang) as they rush towards you and it knocks them out in one shot.

Oooh, so I've completely misunderstood this, lol. Not sure why my brain turned L2 into R2. I do know about the L2 quick batarang, just never connected it to what I thought the game wanted me to do here. I thought Batman was supposed to grab the charging guy or something (not that I know why R2 would suddenly do that), turns out I was completely off. Thanks!

cackhyena

If MGSV was current gen only - then probably. But last gen versions hold it back

No, the tech doesn't hold it back, I don't think. I can go back and play MGS1-3 and there is something extra about the worlds he creates that make you feel there. These little touches he throws in. I can't explain it well enough.

Rocksteady does it just as well, if not better.

Durden77

As someone else said in this thread, I really, really appreciate that they've added narrative to give you a real reason to go for 100%. And I'm not just talking about the "true" ending.

It's the little things like that that make Rocksteady's games feel so alive an exciting.

Those who hate the Batmobile controlling should try to control the horse(roach) from witcher 3. Thats a nightmare to control cause he keeps getting stuck everywhere.

I just beat it and don't think they
handled the ending well. I'm not going to look for 256 Riddler Trophies so I just ended up watching the real ending on YouTube. Not really a sense of closure...

So what Skin are you guys using for Bats? I'm rocking the Anime/Gotham Knight skin. Looks pretty good in-game actually.

I used the JL3000 and New 52 skins for a bit, but switched back to the regular armored skin. (I do have Robin using his New 52 skin, though) I'm not too big a fan of the skin selections this time around, though I'm sure there's going to be more as DLC.

Speaking of which, someone dug into the PC files, and there's placeholder files for unrevealed skins, some of which return from Arkham City & Origins.

- Alex Ross Batman
- Animated Batman
- Blackest Night Batman
- Earth 2 Batman
- Batman: Incorporated Suit
- Jim Lee Batsuit
- 70s Batsuit
- The Dark Knight (Most likely the same unlockable suit from Origins)
- Batman of Zur-En-Arrh (There's a picture floating around of it partially hacked into the game; The suit blurb at the selection screen reads "Backup personality. Use with Caution"
- Classic TV Series Catwoman
- Catwoman 1990
- Classic Nightwing
- Classic Tim Drake Robin
- Classic TV Series Robin
- One Year Later Robin
- Damian Wayne Robin
- New 52 Batgirl
- Classic TV Series Batgirl
- Bruce Timm Batgirl
(Yessssss)

Not sure if it was already pointed out, but the credits list the Elfman Batman theme as well as the Neal Hefti 60's Batman theme as a part of the soundtrack. If I had to guess, I'd say, the first Batmobile race DLC will probably be themed after Batman '89 and thw 60's show

Those who hate the Batmobile controlling should try to control the horse(roach) from witcher 3. Thats a nightmare to control cause he keeps getting stuck everywhere.

I haven't had that much trouble with Roach, but regardless the difference is that the battank is forced and Roach is not.

So I'm struggling with those Riddler trophies where you need to use the coordinates to unlock the cages...is there an easier way to get them...the map is so spacious, it's hard for me to pinpoint the exact location.

Loakum

Banned
It looks like my wait for my copy of the Limited Edition of Batman Arkham Knight just got longer. UPS said they delivered it yesterday, and someone signed for my packed named "REL 34V"....needless to say, that wasn't me. I never received my package. It looks like it was stolen from off my porch, and had the nerve to sign for it. :( I called amazon customer service explaining what happened, and they're shipping me an replacement. I'm gonna stand by my door, like a hawk this tuesday (when it's delivered by 2-day shipping).

Lakitu

st5fu
Ugh, getting bored of clearing out numerous outposts. Other than that, the game is stellar. I'd say the story is by far better than Arkham City at this point.

Finished the main story

Game would be a 9/10 for me but the Batmobile stuff is just so dreary it drags it down to a 7. Hopefully there's not much use of it required in side stuff, I kind of never want to enter that thing again

Finished the main story

Game would be a 9/10 for me but the Batmobile stuff is just so dreary it drags it down to a 7. Hopefully there's not much use of it required in side stuff, I kind of never want to enter that thing again

I didn't have a problem with the tank portions, though if there are going to be any more games, maybe from WB Montreal....I would like for them to keep it. Just get rid of the battle mode. The chases were actually awesome. So is calling it in to pick you up.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Chasing after these APCs is starting to get frustrating. Especially those on Founders Island.

You can't get a lock on them and they don't seem to have to obey the laws of physics that the Batmobile does and can make tight turns on a dime with no loss of velocity. They just weave through all those tunnels and you can't catch them at all. They also seem to have a fifth gear since I cant seem to catch them using afterburner in those rare instances where they go through a tunnel.

Is there a trick or an upgrade for my car that I should be using?

This shit is getting old....

Can't believe people don't like the Batmobile, it's a blast to use, even the tank. I still prefer zipping through the skies though.

Has anyone used spotify to play Zimmer or Elfman's music while playing? Gonna give it a try later, should be fun.

I am trying to download the update file for this game on PSN..... maybe downloading this will results in not freezing my PS4.

This 3GB is taking ages man.

Pimpbaa

Well shit, I didn't know there was a profile for this game in the ps4 headset app. Why does the app only update when you launch it? If it updated like every other app then I would know when a new profile is added.

Hoooooly shit I love the main story in this game. 50% spoiler warning -
Just saw Barbara shoto herself, Joker hopped in front of her.
got serious chills.

Grexeno

Chasing after these APCs is starting to get frustrating. Especially those on Founders Island.

You can't get a lock on them and they don't seem to have to obey the laws of physics that the Batmobile does and can make tight turns on a dime with no loss of velocity. They just weave through all those tunnels and you can't catch them at all. They also seem to have a fifth gear since I cant seem to catch them using afterburner in those rare instances where they go through a tunnel.

Those things are just too fast.

Lakitu

st5fu
So (massive spoiler)
Barbara Gordon isn't actually dead is she? Right?! I mean it was probably a hallucination on Batman's part.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So (massive spoiler)
Barbara Gordon isn't actually dead is she? Right?! I mean it was probably a hallucination on Batman's part.

I am inclined to believe that is 100% the case. There is another plot twist coming later explains full well
why you are seeing the Joker
. Although after the events of Arkham City, I wasn't too surprised.

Alienous

Finished the main story

This is exactly why I urge people to play the game through to the end before commenting on how great the Batmobile is.

I liked it at first, but soon I realized that almost everything I didn't like about Arkham Knight was tied to the battle-mode of the Batmobile. If they designed this game without it, and alternated between pursuit mode Batmobile, freeflow and predator to compensate, I think this would be a near perfect game.

Arkham Knight occupies a 7.5/10 territory for me, and I think its solely because of the impact battle-mode has on the design of the game.

Zakalwe

Banned

Not had a problem with them at all.

Use afterburner.
Power slide to refill afterburner energy.
First person camera.
Use the side boost (direction + x) to dash horizontally to avoid rockets and to aid cornering.

There's no trick to it. Maybe try some of the Challenge races and aim for the Rival Point scores, once I'd for those down I found the persist missions really easy.

This is exactly why I urge people to play the game through to the end before commenting on how great the Batmobile is.

I liked it at first, but soon I realized that almost everything I didn't like about Arkham Knight was tied to the battle-mode of the Batmobile. If they designed this game without it, and alternated between pursuit mode Batmobile, freeflow and predator to compensate, I think this would be a near perfect game.

Arkham Knight occupies a 7.5/10 territory for me, and I think its solely because of the impact battle-mode has on the design of the game.

Plenty of people have completed it and think it's a great addition.

Sober

So I'm struggling with those Riddler trophies where you need to use the coordinates to unlock the cages...is there an easier way to get them...the map is so spacious, it's hard for me to pinpoint the exact location.
They're written right on the thing and the minimap has coords in the lower right?

bobawesome

I used the JL3000 and New 52 skins for a bit, but switched back to the regular armored skin. (I do have Robin using his New 52 skin, though) I'm not too big a fan of the skin selections this time around, though I'm sure there's going to be more as DLC.

Speaking of which, someone dug into the PC files, and there's placeholder files for unrevealed skins, some of which return from Arkham City & Origins.

Not sure if it was already pointed out, but the credits list the Elfman Batman theme as well as the Neal Hefti 60's Batman theme as a part of the soundtrack. If I had to guess, I'd say, the first Batmobile race DLC will probably be themed after Batman '89 and thw 60's show

Hopefully there are more skins to come. I want to fly around as
the Arkham Knight. Yeah, yeah, he's not Batman but the suit looks amazing.

The story telling in this is supurb - easily the best in the series. Not just the actual twists and turns of it, but the way it's told is amazing. So much thought into the characters, the framing, the mocap/voice work etc it's truly stellar stuff. Already up there with the big hitters for me (Portal, tLoU ... er...?)

I agree, and there's one sequence near the end that I really love and wanted to point out.

MAJOR LATE GAME SPOILERS

To set it up, theres this bit in the elevator. Batman and Gordon's tight relationship hit a snag when it was revealed that Barbera was secretly working alongside Batman, lying to her father Jim about leaving town, and because of her relationship to Batman she was captured and killed. The elevator scene has them trying to reconnect that bond, a bond that as Batman noted started back from the very beginning. In a game that seems to lay big tragedy after another on its principal protagonists, its a rare moment of empathy and companionship.

(and as a side note, I always LOVED the idea of Jim Gordon being the cop that Bruce gives his statement to about his parents death. I'm not sure who came up with that idea, but I love that their relationship started right from the origin)

They reach Crane, and what starts is a unbroken rotating tracking shot that does a marvelous job of showing the power dynamics shifting between the characters in the scene. The dialog and rotations are perfectly timed to visually show the relationships on screen. It opens with Crane alone in the frame, then Batman is shown so you think he's talking to him. The dialog reveals he isn't as Gordon comes into the frame. It subtly zooms in on Jim as the DRAMATIC REVERSAL happens. Then the PLOT TWIST with Babs being alive happens, as moves along with the camera from right to left in the wheelchair. Soldier exits left to carry out nefarious plan.

And so on and so forth. But Rocksteady isn't married to this one-take thing(they way I fear Kojima is gonna be with MGSV). They know when to end it, and thats when the dramatic turnabout of Gordon shooting Batman in the chest straight off the building, cut to Gordon close-up.

Marvel

could never
The the tank stuff I could cross out but damn does driving around in the batmobile feel and sound goddamn perfect.

Vaga

I couldn't disagree more. I'm 90% in story mode, done all the APC and bomb defusal missions and I think it's the greatest addition to the game along with the story.

Footos22

Just look for a green blob to stand on or a button on a wall with a question mark

Yeah, I don't find the Batmobile tank stuff fun at all. Driving the Batmobile itself? Great. The puzzles during the story mode? Kinda shoehorned, but relatively inoffensive. The APC Chases? Awesome. The waves upon waves of tanks to fight plus the Cobra Tanks? Not fun at all. They fuck with the pacing in a really bad way, and it's made all the more evident when put up to City and Asylum, both of which have pretty brisk pacing (The former moreso than the latter)

I have a couple of other grievances with the game, but the tank battles are definitely the biggest. It's the main thing keeping me from replaying the game on New Game+.

Alienous

I couldn't disagree more. I'm 90% in story mode, done all the APC and bomb defusal missions and I think it's the greatest addition to the game along with the story.

The APC has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. But you thought the bomb defusal missions were good fair enough, I disagree,

I love racing around in the Batmobile. Beyond the fourth battle-mode fight I began to hate the tank battles. "Flat terrain and more static tanks? Yay", "Oh, that tank shoots out more lines? Fantastic", "Another battle-mode boss? Awesome".

The Goat

Really don't care for the combat at all. It's pretty monotonous. Even with upgraded moveset, it still plays out the same. Was hoping for more with this iteration, but oh well. Also, the waypoint system can be a bit frustrating. I'm constantly jumping back and forth to detective mode to see what it is I'm looking for. Batmobile is like driving a car on black ice, lol.

So, yeah, not really feeling the game much. Had a sneaking suspicion it would go that way before I bought it, but I can't help myself with new releases. The hype always gets to me.

C'est la vie!

So I just took out a militia watchtower, six guys patrolling a rooftop. I quietly took out two guys, and as I was sneaking up on a third, the Arkham Knight radioed in and told them to check in. Each guy said "roger that" or "here" and using detective vision I could see which one were talking and when. Once the guy I was sneaking up on reported in, there was moment where they waited to hear from the two guys I knocked out. They went into "caution" mode after that.

Just found it cool that they didn't just go the "heartbeat monitor" or "omniscient villain" route with realizing their people are getting taken out.

Grexeno

The main problems with the tank fight segments are:

1. Too many enemies
2. The missile launcher types. Forcing the player to shoot down the missiles forces them to look up and be unable to see the firing lines from the other enemies.

I really do feel for anyone unable to look beyond some of the admittedly grating tank combat and enjoy the rest of the game. It really is remarkable how well polished it all is, how they've perfected the systems we've seen in the prior games, and how incredible it looks.

Absolutely nailed the Batman experience, the issues with the tank stuff are worth swallowing because of what else the Batmobile brings to the table. Speeding through the streets and ejecting into the air.... incredible!

And for the segment of Gaf that see Origins as the pinnacle, something I'll never understand, there's some great nods to that game in here as well. Glad to see the replaying crime scene stuff make a return!

i cant get over how unfun they are.

every tank section in the game i want to end and never play it again.

every other part of the game i want to replay over and over. this will be the first batman game i dont beat twice though because of how annoying the batmobile sections are. they are awful

Zakalwe

Banned
The APC has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. But you thought the bomb defusal missions were good fair enough, I disagree,

I love racing around in the Batmobile. Beyond the fourth battle-mode fight I began to hate the tank battles. "Flat terrain and more static tanks? Yay", "Oh, that tank shoots out more lines? Fantastic", "Another battle-mode boss? Awesome".

I find that mechanic very fun, especially when competing with myself to take them down as quickly and efficiently as possible.

The Barmobile is a great addition, makes this game the best in the series imo.

Alienous

So I just took out a militia watchtower, six guys patrolling a rooftop. I quietly took out two guys, and as I was sneaking up on a third, the Arkham Knight radioed in and told them to check in. Each guy said "roger that" or "here" and using detective vision I could see which one were talking and when. Once the guy I was sneaking up on reported in, there was moment where they waited to hear from the two guys I knocked out. They went into "caution" mode after that.

Just found it cool that they didn't just go the "heartbeat monitor" or "omniscient villain" route with realizing their people are getting taken out.

Some of the predator instances with the Arkham Knight are just the best. It's almost like the Freeze boss fight in predator form. (This isn't a story spoiler, but it's a cool thing that happens in gameplay people should hear for themselves if they haven't done a Arkham Knight army predator fight yet)
Things like "He's using the walls, stay away from them" when you use a wall against them, or "He's staying above you, picking you off, put some mines on the gargoyles!" when you stay above the guards.

Vaga

I love racing around in the Batmobile. Beyond the fourth battle-mode fight I began to hate the tank battles. "Flat terrain and more static tanks? Yay", "Oh, that tank shoots out more lines? Fantastic".

Wait, you complain about having no challenge in battle mode? I started playing on hard and let me tell there are some hair pulling inducing missions where plain aim/shoot/dodge tactics won't let you win by default especially with multiple types of tanks swarming at once. I can understand the boredom or frustration but I didn't really felt that, I just treated the battles as any other challenge in the game and fucking rocked them.

#teambatmobile

Staf

The story is so good, but i can't believe (seriously don't read, huge mid-game spoiler)
that they killed off Oracle. She is one of my favorite characters in the Batman-verse both gaming- and comicbook-wise

If all tank battles:

• Had fewer/no waves (number of enemies at once is bad, but having the fights go on for so long can be)
  • Never required the player to stay in one small area (like with the bomb diffusing) so you could switch to pursuit mode for ramming through drones
  • Made the drones' targeting no more accurate while the Batmobile is in pursuit mode than it is while you're in battle mode (so just ramming into them would be more feasible)
  • Allowed the winch to be incorporated into battle (connect winch while boosting past drone, then swinging it around into a wall/other drone, blowing them all up)
then it'd be awesome rather than decent/so-so. If different approaches were more feasible during car combat, all the games systems — and the way they tie together — would essentially be perfect. At least for what they are, definitely.

Man, this game is good.

The story is so good, but i can't believe (seriously don't read, huge mid-game spoiler)
that they killed off Oracle. She is one of my favorite characters in the Batman-verse both gaming- and comicbook-wise

Have you got the remote hacking device yet?

Kaizer

Banned
Wow, as if the
Manbat
jumpscare wasn't enough, there's a
Joker
one too?!? Nearly leapt out of my skin a few minutes ago lol

Top Bottom