• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wait, you complain about having no challenge in battle mode? I started playing on hard and let me tell there are some hair pulling inducing missions where plain aim/shoot/dodge tactics won't let you win by default especially with multiple types of tanks swarming at once. I can understand the boredom or frustration but I didn't really felt that, I just treated the battles as any other challenge in the game and fucking rocked them.

#teambatmobile

I think it mostly takes too long to ramp up into any challenge. It's basically just dodging lines for a large chunk of it before it adds more enemy wrinkles, but even then I didn't find much of it difficult until the final landmine side mission since it throws like 50 enemies at you, restricts movement options a lot, and I haven't upgraded armor much. It has moments of brilliance though.

I prefer the actual chasing mechanics. The APC takedowns were a ton of fun as you feel like you're on the very brink of total control as you weave between shots, knock enemies into walls and blow through a ton of the enviroment.

Hagi

I would have preferred it if the Batmobile was just the Batmobile and not Bat-tankmobile. Cool that other people are enjoying the tank sections though for me they are too one dimensional.

Think I might have to buy the soundtrack for this.

SJRB

Gold Member
I would have preferred it if the Batmobile was just the Batmobile and not Bat-tankmobile. Cool that other people are enjoying the tank sections though for me they are too one dimensional.

Think I might have to buy the soundtrack for this.

Soundtrack is only a Volume 1 at the moment and it's pretty lackluster. At least, none of the tracks I was looking for are on it. We can only hope WB releases a Volume 2 through 10 at some point, because Nick Arundel once again absolutely nailed it.

David Buckley is awesome as well.

Toa TAK

Banned
I really enjoyed the Batmobile segments, yeah, I can see why people felt they were forced, but it could've been a bigger issue if playing in the Batmobile sucked, but it didn't. Cobra sections are my favorite.

Soundtrack is only a Volume 1 at the moment and it's pretty lackluster. At least, none of the tracks I was looking for are on it. We can only hope WB releases a Volume 2 through 10 at some point, because Nick Arundel once again absolutely nailed it.

David Buckley is awesome as well.

Buckley did better here than his COD score, which was just bleh for the most part.

Arundel is the main man for the series as far as I'm concerned.

Vaga

I prefer the actual chasing mechanics. The APC takedowns were a ton of fun as you feel like you're on the very brink of total control as you weave between shots, knock enemies into walls and blow through a ton of the enviroment.

Driving aspect is fantastic. I agree the tank combat part could've used some more variation but it's nowhere near as bad as some try to suggest.

I agree, and there's one sequence near the end that I really love and wanted to point out.

(ENDING SPOILERS)

Rocksteady's willingness to use damn near every trick in the book is what stood out to me the most. I was in disbelief when I went from using the Jokermobile's lethal rounds to massacre people (breaking all established rules), to a merciless third-person shooter, to a first-person psychological horror section, all integrated seamlessly and used to shocking effect (that fucking Killing Joke prompt for the Jokermobile's missile finisher...). Every first person section after the Batman scare as Gordon made me nervous as fuck, especially the containment cell scene. This is next level experimental storytelling. I also appreciated how the base ending went on for so long after regular gameplay ended. A lot of game endings can be short and kind of unsatisfying, but Arkham Knight's, reminding me most of Bioshock Infinite's, gives the player ample time to cool down and appreciate how things wrap up. A fitting end to a trilogy that players have invested so much into.

Godsteady.

JonnyKong

Hi guys, I've just reached up to 88% of the story mission.
I've just taken Oracle back to the gcpd

Anyone know roughly how long I have left until completion time wise? I'm supposed to be going out in an hour and I'm wondering if I can finish it in time.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

Anyone know roughly how long I have left until completion time wise? I'm supposed to be going out in an hour and I'm wondering if I can finish it in time.

Nah, it'll take more than an hour. Maybe 3-4.

Finished it... good lord!! the last part of the game is insane!!! I need to keep playing though. This is amazing, from 80 to 95% the game kinda sucks but everything else is fantastic. Top Batman game for me.

Have to keep playing, have to know!!

sn00zer

Nearing the end.....

I dont like how dark it is....lot of Batman books have one or two "dark" scenes, but this just has so many, kinda kills the fun of it a little bit. Its basically Arkham Black.

CryptiK

Nearing the end.....

I dont like how dark it is....lot of Batman books have one or two "dark" scenes, but this just has so many, kinda kills the fun of it a little bit. Its basically Arkham Black.
Plenty of Batman comics have gone darker. This is a great take on it IMO.

redhood56

Banned
I'm on Riddlers revenge and I'm on the
the final lap of the race track
and I cannot beat it. If someone can pm me their psn can we share play it. I don't think I'm ever going to beat it.

Omega

Banned

Nah, it'll take more than an hour. Maybe 3-4.

what?

2 hours tops unless I'm remembering wrong. There's just
another tank battle segment where you defend GCPD, i think going back to the clocktower to help her get her files or whatever and then you're off to save Jim

It is plenty depressing, it seems like bad thing after another happens. Worse, there's that running commentary by you know who mocking you and reminding you about how fucked up and terrible everything is and its all your fault.

Nearing the end.....

There have been far darker scenes in Batman stories where there are far more plentiful dark scenes.

Toa TAK

Banned
The story is long as fuck mang.

That's one thing I really appreciate about the Arkham games. They manage a length, that I feel, can still maintain interest in the plot and keep the gameplay fun. Plus, with all the content in the game, I feel better putting $60 towards something that carries weight as opposed to a shooter that only takes 6 -8 hours to beat.

Hagi

I don't think you could set up the story like it is and not have it be this dark. This is end of the line type stuff here and they nail the tone perfectly. There is lighter moments but it's in the form of something like the conversations between Dick and Bruce during the Penguin missions.

SJRB

Gold Member
Nearing the end.....

I'm only halfway through the story but the darkness is actually my favourite aspect.

Everything is so fucked up, I love it.

Vire

I dunno even what to make of that ending. Like huh, wah, what the fuck...

Kinda disappointed there wasn't a real showdown with Scarecrow at the end and instead it ended up being more about the Joker. The Joker sequence also felt incredibly messy to me and scattershot - but I guess that's the point. Switching from tank play to third person, to first person all felt really disorienting and ultimately disjointed. The reuse of assets and locations towards the end was also kind of a bummer. Going back to the movie studio for the eighth time, the clock tower and the penultimate fight at the GCPD was a bit of a disappointment. It just makes it feel like they ran out of time or budget to really close it strong.

I was expecting a new hideout location and a big lead up to get to Scarecrow similar to the Ace Chemicals portion of the campaign, but instead it was kinda just an extended set of cutscenes featuring the Joker.

I do like the symmetry of going back to the Asylum at least. I need to think about this one some more.

Future

It is plenty depressing, it seems like bad thing after another happens. Worse, there's that running commentary by you know who mocking you and reminding you about how fucked up and terrible everything is and its all your fault.

Haha this so much. I was hooked to the story,
but you feel like everything is going to shit constantly

Alienous

That's one thing I really appreciate about the Arkham games. They manage a length, that I feel, can still maintain interest in the plot and keep the gameplay fun. Plus, with all the content in the game, I feel better putting $60 towards something that carries weight as opposed to a shooter that only takes 6 -8 hours to beat.

Shooters are all about their multiplayer, that's where the hours of $60 value comes from.

The Arkham series had something similar for putting hours into if you'd like, the challenge maps with multiple characters, but Arkham Knight is a step backward from Origins and City in almost every regard with that.

But yeah, Arkham Knight's campaign is certainly more satisfying that the campaigns of most shooters.

Toa TAK

Banned
Shooters are all about their multiplayer, that's where the hours of $60 value comes from.

The Arkham series had something similar for putting hours into if you'd like, the challenge maps with multiple characters, but Arkham Knight is a step backward from Origins and City in almost every regard with that.

But yeah, Arkham Knight's campaign is certainly more satisfying that the campaigns of most shooters.

But damn it, I want an engaging story in my shooters, too. :(

I see that Knight is a step down from the challenge maps, and it's a bummer because I know a lot of people liked those and I dabbled with them a bit myself. However, the content even in Arkham City in the single-player campaign-space was plenty with the side-quests. And that's not even counting the time it takes to collect all the Riddler Trophies.

I'm only at 50% completion of the Main Story mission...I still have 2 Most Wanted missions to unlock and still all of those to complete...god knows how many Riddler Trophies to collect

You're never not doing something whether it's major or minor...there's always something to do

SJRB

Gold Member
John Noble was such a great choice as Scarecrow. Having him be the main baddie was such a great idea. I love this depiction.

Dude is nothing short of incredible, whoever is responsible for casting Noble is a genius. Scarecrow says some truly harrowing stuff over the intercom, he really feels threatening.

To be fair I also loved the few moments in Arkham City where Hugo Strange talks over the intercom, he had a really menacing voice as well.

CryptiK

You know with all my Batmobile complaints I actually liked the tank battles. Later ones got really nice and challenging.
I didn't mind them much either, they seemed like a straight rip from Transformers: War/Fall for/of Cybertron. However Batman play should have outweighed the Batmobile but it was the opposite which sucks

Anyone that got the limited edition Statue whats it like?

Vire

You know with all my Batmobile complaints I actually liked the tank battles. Later ones got really nice and challenging.

The only point in the game that I legitimately think is just straight up bad in terms of the batmobile is the
Cloudburst
portion. Just ill conceived and poorly designed.

Fighting 7 cobra tanks at once simply wasn't fun and the lead up to that was WAY WAY overloaded with tank combat

Aside from that, I don't really have a problem with it and I enjoyed the addition.

Grady

Man, the bat mobile is not much liked. I actually enjoy it for some reason. Trying to get 3 stars on that road fury challenge was so fucking infuriating. But 3 hours later when i finally got it...so satisfied. My heart pumping heavily every time i got to 9 kills and always had like 5 seconds left to get that last one but no tanks were in sight. God awful but awesome at the same time. Love me some good challenges, even if at time frustrating.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Aside from the skins they also found villains that are most likely to show up in the season of infamy DLC. They are

Prometheus
Mad Hatter
Killer Croc
R'as Al Ghul
Mr Freeze
Black Mask

Really excited for
Prometheus

Dude is nothing short of incredible, whoever is responsible for casting Noble is a genius. Scarecrow says some truly harrowing stuff over the intercom, he really feels threatening.

To be fair I also loved the few moments in Arkham City where Hugo Strange talks over the intercom, he had a really menacing voice as well.

Hugo Strange got shit all over by Rocksteady though. This is them definitely doing justice to Scarecrow though. He's a legitimate threat and he's already fucked up Batman more than any previous villain in the series, at least psychologically.

Alienous

Aside from the skins they also found villains that are most likely to show up in the season of infamy DLC. They are

Prometheus
Mad Hatter
Killer Croc
R'as Al Ghul
Mr Freeze
Black Mask

Really excited for
Prometheus

I'm glad about the third on that list.

Not being in Arkham Knight in any meaningful capacity, especially considering the events of Arkham Asylum, is a real shame.

Staf

Hugo Strange got shit all over by Rocksteady though. This is them definitely doing justice to Scarecrow though. He's a legitimate threat and he's already fucked up Batman more than any previous villain in the series, at least psychologically.

Only played roughly 40-50% of the main mission but i think but i think scarecrow, so far, is lacking as a main villain.

So are the achievements locked behind the 235 riddler trophies? I'm wondering if there's an AR challenge that unlocks only if you find all trophies. 235 is a lot.

Dubz

About 20% in and I love this game. I have no issues with the Batmobile. In fact I really like driving it around the city. The graphics and stability on the PS4 are something to marvel at. There is very little pop in and the frame rate is rock solid.

CryptiK

Prometheus
Mad Hatter
Killer Croc
R'as Al Ghul
Mr Freeze
Black Mask

Really excited for
Prometheus
Prometheus
Hopefully will be the new boss he is
The anti-Batman and a good substitute for the AK. Black Mask is in Red Hood so I doubt he will be.

SJRB

Gold Member

Yeah the way Strange got the short end of the stick in Arkham City is probably my biggest gripes with the game, it's so bizarre how they introduce him as a main antagonist and then basically toss him in the garbage.

Strange as an antagonist has so much potential and they pissed it away.

Top Bottom