• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Alienous

Does Mr Freeze put in an appearance? Cause my game has locked up several times now.

puss_in_boots_ooooh_cat_by_kaza_mori-d4ll1dx.gif

Hypothetical. Do you think Arkham Knight would have been better or worse off if it had been designed without the Batmobile's battle-mode?

I honestly like battle-mode, in theory at least. Being able to so easily switch into omnidirectional swivel-wheels mode makes the Batmobile a joy to get into all the nooks and crannies of Gotham; imagine how much of a pain it'd be if it only controlled like a regular car and you had to make three point turns all the time. Maybe keep the swivel-wheels, lose the cannon? At least then we wouldn't have to blow up 300 identical tanks before the story's through. You have to fight tanks because you have the cannon, but you only have the cannon because Rocksteady wanted you to fight tanks.

Now that I think about it, why would Batman, famed proponent of the 'no kills' ethos, even have a cannon on his Batmobile, anyway? The only time it could possibly be useful is if he happened to face an enemy dumb enough to send unmanned drones after him. If Arkham Knight had just put a dude in each of those tanks he would have beaten Batman easily :p

Alienous

I honestly like battle-mode, in theory at least. Being able to so easily switch into omnidirectional swivel-wheels mode makes the Batmobile a joy to get into all the nooks and crannies of Gotham; imagine how much of a pain it'd be if it only controlled like a regular car and you had to make three point turns all the time. Maybe keep the swivel-wheels, lose the cannon? At least then we wouldn't have to blow up 300 identical tanks before the story's through. You have to fight tanks because you have the cannon, but you only have the cannon because Rocksteady wanted you to fight tanks.

Now that I think about it, why would Batman, famed proponent of the 'no kills' ethos, even have a cannon on his Batmobile, anyway? The only time it could possibly be useful is if he happened to face an enemy dumb enough to send unmanned drones after him. If Arkham Knight had just put a dude in each of those tanks he would have beaten Batman easily :p

I'd say keep the tighter lateral movement, for puzzles and navigation. Just get rid of the grenade launcher and vulcan minigun on top of it.

The reason for the tanks being around is so contrived it's clear that wanting to blow things up for no good reason came first.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
now without spoiling the game obviously how does this batman game compares to the other ones content wise, will it keep me occupied for hours with challenge maps, random encounters etc. Or have the past games nailed it a tad better?

Alienous

now without spoiling the game obviously how does this batman game compares to the other ones content wise, will it keep me occupied for hours with challenge maps, random encounters etc. Or have the past games nailed it a tad better?

Challenge maps? This game has a really mediocre offering compared to the City and Origins. 4 freeflow maps. 4 predator maps. A mixture of Batmobile scenarios (driving, fighting, a mixture etc.)

The side-content is fairly extensive. A bit repetitive, but you'll get more hours out of the side-content than in any of the previous games.

Haines

Banned
I don't mind the batmobile but the tank mechanic doesn't feel like a batman thing. Like at all.

I believe it's fine in the game but it kind of makes me want that hd version of the first two games.

They should have made the batmobile more of a side thing. Rid of the tank part and just make the actual driving better. Focus on a couple cool gadgets on it for good game play and done.

Tank battles is not what batman is about.

DieH@rd

Banned
I finished the main story, and the game absolutely rocks.

Hopefully we will find out soon what is the next project from Rocksteady.

Blader

I don't mind the tank mode combat at all (other than rolling my eyes every time Alfred says, "Sir, another 500 drones are on their way to you") but, the
Cloudburst tank fight
is very clearly bullshit.

El_Cinefilo

I don't mind the batmobile but the tank mechanic doesn't feel like a batman thing. Like at all.

Yeah, I love the game but the trailers didn't do anything for me because they kept saying "Be the Batman" while focusing all the gameplay on driving a tank. That's not what people want and they know it.

I believe it's fine in the game but it kind of makes me want that hd version of the first two games.

They should have made the batmobile more of a side thing. Rid of the tank part and just make the actual driving better. Focus on a couple cool gadgets on it for good game play and done.

Tank battles is not what batman is about.
I mean it's not unheard of :p

movies_dark_knight_rises_trailer_20.jpg

Future

What's funny about the tank to me is that it's actually not that bad. The scenarios are just tuned poorly, and a lot of them center on one hit kills

Cobra sees you? Dead.
One of 7 cobra tanks sees you while sneaking up behind a tank? Dead
Wrong turn while being chased by cloudburst? Dead
Wrong turn while rotating corkscrews away from driller tank? Dead

Later in the game I died more times in a few bat mobile sections than the entire rest of the game

Imagine if the normal stealth sections had batman getting shot dead instantly unless you ran away without using gadgets or grappling or smoke bombs etc. That's the punishing tank design

Combine that with seemingly endless amount of normal drones just randomly spawning in the corners of the map, with limited or no aim assist on your cannon to shoot them. Tanks that can take your shots easily while continuing to shoot you, while missiles are locking on to you, and preventing much strategic movement as you are confined in a little space....

Again, bat mobile itself not so bad. The scenario are just tuned more frustrating than fun

Simo

I made a Batman vs Superman teaser trailer with this awesome game:

Tell me, do you bleed? You will

Rush job but I am pleased with it.

Haha nice!

Your vids have been filling my feed on PS4 and one buddy actually called me up asking if I watched one of your Witcher videos because he was dying laughing at it. lol

I made a short Arkham Knight video too. Spoiler at the end only for something that has been scaring the shit out of players including myself. Share Factory was a bitch to use though. Any time you add a clip and it messes with all the others and their timing.

Marvel

could never
Haha nice!

Your vids have been filling my feed on PS4 and one buddy actually called me up asking if I watched one of your Witcher videos because he was dying laughing at it. lol Share Factory was a bitch to use though. Any time you add a clip and it messes with all the others and their timing.
Thanks bro! lol. You never said you make stuff too! I never see it in my feed, weird.

I'll watch yours now.

I finished the main story, and the game absolutely rocks.

Hopefully we will find out soon what is the next project from Rocksteady.

After loving the dual play combat and seeing how awesome and detailed the city looked all I could think about was TMNT.

Maybe Bebop studios will be doing it instead....

Ugh, missing one Riddler Trophy on Miagani Island and it's nowhere on the map while I have run out of informants.
I've noticed some question marks can disappear when you start a puzzle but don't finish it, I might have to go through a checklist.

Simo

Thanks bro! lol. You never said you make stuff too! I never see it in my feed, weird.

I'll watch yours now.

I don't make a whole lot, it's too damn time consuming. I wanted to do more with the Batman one but because of the issues I had with Share Factory I just called it quits and finished it as is. LOL

Marvel

could never
I don't make a whole lot, it's too damn time consuming. I wanted to do more with the Batman one but because of the issues I had with Share Factory I just called it quits and finished it as is. LOL
Can be irritating to use for sure. I feel ya lol

GravyButt

So im not sure if the % marker when you load a game is story or if it includes side quests but was wondering how far in/how much story I have left.

just left the blimps/air ships and scarecrow escapes via copter by dark knight. Oh and whats her name just offed herself.

Thanks

Alienous

So im not sure if the % marker when you load a game is story or if it includes side quests but was wondering how far in/how much story I have left.

just left the blimps/air ships and scarecrow escapes via copter by dark knight. Oh and whats her name just offed herself.

Thanks

Close to mid-way, I'd say.

DieH@rd

Banned

Thanks

Load the game, press dpad right, and move the selector to the "six o clock" stats icon. That will show you the percentages for all activities, including the main campaign story.

Haines

Banned
I mean it's not unheard of :p

movies_dark_knight_rises_trailer_20.jpg

It's when I'm being swarmed by 20 tanks that it gets out of control for me.

If it was side stuff you could have more player choice on your version of batman.

But when I entered a new area I fought like 50 tanks and the gameplay comes down to point shoot move away from laser beam.

Ah well. The other stuff is great so it is what it is.

Truant

Really want to get this, but the Giant Bomb quicklook doesn't pain the greatest picture. The city doesn't look very fun to drive around in with those tanks everywhere. Is that prevalent through the entire game world, or just present during certain areas or story parts?

SJRB

Gold Member
Really want to get this, but the Giant Bomb quicklook doesn't pain the greatest picture. The city doesn't look very fun to drive around in with those tanks everywhere. Is that prevalent through the entire game world, or just present during certain areas or story parts?

If you clear an island of tanks they'll remain gone until you hit a certain treshhold in the storyline. They "restock" at certain intervals throughout the game, but they don't auto-respawn.

The button mashing in the final section of this game is really getting on my nerves. The combat really show its limits when you put more than 6-7 guys in a fight.

Blader

How many of the most wanted side missions do you need to complete to unlock the extra ending? I tried looking it up, but I saw conflicting answers (some say 7, some say 10) and it's hard enough to skirt around it without looking at actual ending spoilers.

What extras does a store (likely Best Buy) bought non pre-order for PS4 have? Was a Steam pre-order but considering refund, hate to give up the extras though.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I think I'm far enough in where the car and tank are supposed to get dumb and ruin the game, but I guess I'm going to fall on the other half; I like everything.

I've played three games already of Batman grapnel boosting around and gliding. I'm fine with mixing up the formula so severely. I really don't care that it's supposed to be out of character for Batman - you know, the paranoid lunatic who is crazy prepared for any possibility no matter how absurd. Doesn't phase me that Batman has an armed Batmobile for shit like this happening.

Is it contrived? Yes because it's fiction and also a video game that's supposed to have a really fun transforming tank with a cannon on it. The scenario of Gotham under complete military siege is a lot of fun and perfect for escalating an open world Gotham game in about the only way left.

I wouldn't want to play two more games in a row of the same scenario, but that's to be expected.

Grisby

Man, really hate the APC chases. They can take corners like nobody's business and it seems to take forever for the bat gun to lock on to them.

I'm not sure on my opinion of the game yet. There are some real highs but it's not grabbing quite as hard as AA or AC.

AdaWong

Who felt that the story of the
Arkham Knight hit a dead end?

For it being named Batman: Arkham Knight, he ended up taking a backseat to Scarecrow and was never given proper closure. I really hope that Rocksteady has a final DLC story pack in mind, because I felt his overall arc felt incomplete.

I know they're going to have additional dlc for villains, but if they're anything like the Red Hood or Harley Quinn story packs then I'll take a pass.

It surprises me that no one has mentioned this yet.

The game is awesome but the plot was just lolworthy. Most things felt incomplete or half-assed.

Arkham Knight/Jason Todd:
- You gotta love that 180 degree change in personality in one scene.
- A video of him being killed, sent by the JOKER to Batman, somehow fools Batman into actually believing it.
- Whole game wants you dead, turns into your savior out of nowhere.
- When he got his ass handed back to him, he disappears. Only to appear in one scene out of NOWHERE at the end to save Batman.
- Randomly and suddenly has a bat sign on his suit.
- Disappears again.

Overall: closure? What is that? Never heard of it.

Poison Ivy:
- Gets captured.
- Wanted by Scarecrow in order for Scarecrow to proceed with his plan.
- ivy gives Scarecrow the biggest "lolno!"
- Gets captured.
- Batman demands info.
- She refuses at first for teh lolz, then she actually gives him info.
- She captures Batman for absolutely no reason, other than for teh lolz, again.
- Gets captured (3rd time now, giving Ashley in RE4 a run for her money!)
- Suddenly there are ancient plants in Arkham that are immune to Scarecrow's gas.
- She helps Batman to save Gotham.
- She dies saving Gotham.

Overall: We got closure here, but her involvement is a big ass wtf. I liked her design though.

Harley Quinn:
- Scarecrow and co. help her break the Jokers free.
- She loves them because they have the Joker in them.
- Bats has the joker in him but she doesn't love him just because.
- Her boss "fight" consists of ONE button press.
- All of the jokers die and she gets captured and put in a cell right next to Robin's cell.
- Scarecrow comes to abduct Robin but does not help Harley for some reason??
- That's the end of the Harley Quinn arc.

Overall: You'd think for someone that had their own DLC campaign in the previous game, is one of the very few characters to have appeared in all 4 Arkham games, and has their own playable "story pack" in this game, they would give the character a more sinister part or at least a big ending like Ivy's or something.

Scarecrow:
- How did he get all this money for all of this?
- How did he proceed with his plan when Ivy refused to help him? (when she was crucial for his plan that he even sends Harley there?)
- How did Scarecrow know that Batman hallucinated that Oracle killed herself?
- Scarecrow never showed an OUNCE of fear regarding anything that Batman did, however, when Batman just said "im not afraid! :D" he turned so scared and was in such panic.

Overall: ????

foxtrot3d

Banned
Is anyone else slightly offended/upset whenever you complete one of Riddler's challenges that he never once compliments you on your intellect. You know it really hurts when he can't just let me have just one moment of being smart, why must he always accuses me of cheating? C'mon man I've beat all your challenges twice already in the past games, including all your crap in AC don't I deserve at least one "you know Dark Knight, I'll give you points for defeating that riddle even if it was my most easiest conundrum that even a child could figure out." Even that would satisfy my ego just a little bit.

Oh well, I guess he wouldn't be insane if he did.

Main extras wanted are Harley Quinn playable missions and Nightwing skin, non-pre order PS4 have those?

There should be a free download for the New 52 skins available everywhere. Just go to the game page on PSN, or scroll down to add-ons when you highlight the game on the ps4 menu.

What does new game plus offer?

Riddler trophies and abilities carry over. Abilities gained will also carry back to the regular game. Enemies are tougher, different types show up earlier in the game. No counter icon above enemies heads too. Also there is a slightly different opening.

Top Bottom