• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Gonzalez

Banned
I liked John DiMaggio's take on Joker. Wouldn't mind seeing him do the role again.
Bruce Greenwood's Batman is awesome in it as well as Jensen Ackles take on Red Hood. Really, Under the Red Hood is easily the best casting job on a DC animated project since JLU.

Rean

Bruce Greenwood's Batman is awesome in it as well as Jensen Ackles take on Red Hood. Really, Under the Red Hood is easily the best casting job on a DC animated project since JLU.
Young Justice was casted pretty well too. Shame it never got a third season.

Gonzalez

Banned
Young Justice was casted pretty well too. Shame it never got a third season.
It's good, but I like when they use the old BtAS method of hiring struggling talented screen actors, rather than hiring talented voice actors who I have heard using similar voices they've used on other projects.

Cindro

"Cobra tanks detected"

Is there a more distasteful combination of words in the English language
Only "Son, we're having meatloaf for dinner" and "No, I don't love you anymore, but I'm sure you'll find someone even better for you soon" for me. I just did THE PART last night. Yeah, you know the one.

*Rocksteady restroom, 2013*

Sefton Hill, aloud to himself at a urinal: Ah yes, work on our magnum opus is coming along quite nicely. But the final third of the main story needs something... more. Something special. I'm thinking perhaps an epic showdown with the Arkham Knight,
he himself having the same arsenal of moves as Batman, He lures you into his base of operations and then stalks about the shadows to take YOU out, flipping the whole predator segment in the series on its head.

Nameless Rocksteady Asset Generator, overhearing the monologue from the confines of his stall: Hey Seffy - I know I don't usually contribute to design choices, but how about instead of that, the Arkham Knight j
ust fights you with another tank... but hear me out! It's a SUPER tank. And it's surrounded by seven Cobra tanks while the environment is Gears of War-levels of brown, and everytime you get behind one Cobra to take it out another rolls around from behind a corner and just blows your Bat brains back to the stone age?

SH: Well, that wasn't quite what I had in mind...

NRAG: Wait! I'm not finished! We can follow THAT fight up with requiring the player to
maneuver the Batmobile through an underground sewer tunnel system, with lots of switching back and forth between Bat and Car. Just, like, so much switching.

SH: But...

NRAG: Let me conclude! We'll ramp up the challenge shortly thereafter by rewarding the player with a really great
power winch section where they are constantly descending a wall to blow holes in the wall and then deactivating fan blades before getting into another vehicle-based fight with the Arkham Knight, where this time he kills you in one hit if you aren't fast enough at maneuvering through the twists and turns and wall routes in a tight underground tunnel. To cap it all off, we can then transition into a sniper fight, where Arkham Knight can also kill you in one hit.

So, what do you think??

SH: By god, you're hired.

NRAG: But I already work here!

SH: Then you're promoted! To a position you may have heard of. Mine.

*Sefton Hill exits the bathroom and calls an ambulance, because he's just had a stroke. However the damage is done and NRAG implements his bold vision to the delight of himself and himself only.*

Seriously, could Rocksteady bring back the old gadget select formula from Arkham Asylum and City? That's my one major gripe, and it really takes you out of the experience when you have to go to a menu in order to access smoke pellets or batarangs when you didn't before. Couldn't they in theory assign the gadget and mission wheels onto the L3 and R3 buttons?

Any chance they'll do a serious remapping of the controls for their goty edition? I always though Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence corrected a severe design flaw by incorperating a rotatable camera. I hope I'm not the only one feeling this way, but I'm finding it to be a goddam hassle.

Only "Son, we're having meatloaf for dinner" and "No, I don't love you anymore, but I'm sure you'll find someone even better for you soon" for me. I just did THE PART last night. Yeah, you know the one.

Sefton Hill, aloud to himself at a urinal: Ah yes, work on our magnum opus is coming along quite nicely. But the final third of the main story needs something... more. Something special. I'm thinking perhaps an epic showdown with the Arkham Knight,
he himself having the same arsenal of moves as Batman, He lures you into his base of operations and then stalks about the shadows to take YOU out, flipping the whole predator segment in the series on its head.

Nameless Rocksteady Asset Generator, overhearing the monologue from the confines of his stall: Hey Seffy - I know I don't usually contribute to design choices, but how about instead of that, the Arkham Knight j
ust fights you with another tank... but hear me out! It's a SUPER tank. And it's surrounded by seven Cobra tanks while the environment is Gears of War-levels of brown, and everytime you get behind one Cobra to take it out another rolls around from behind a corner and just blows your Bat brains back to the stone age?

NRAG: Wait! I'm not finished! We can follow THAT fight up with requiring the player to
maneuver the Batmobile through an underground sewer tunnel system, with lots of switching back and forth between Bat and Car. Just, like, so much switching.

NRAG: Let me conclude! We'll ramp up the challenge shortly thereafter by rewarding the player with a really great
power winch section where they are constantly descending a wall to blow holes in the wall and then deactivating fan blades before getting into another vehicle-based fight with the Arkham Knight, where this time he kills you in one hit if you aren't fast enough at maneuvering through the twists and turns and wall routes in a tight underground tunnel. To cap it all off, we can then transition into a sniper fight, where Arkham Knight can also kill you in one hit.

So, what do you think??

*Sefton Hill exits the bathroom and calls an ambulance, because he's just had a stroke. However the damage is done and NRAG implements his bold vision to the delight of himself and himself only.*

... Well I can't think of a more plausible situation.

I think Rocksteady worked really hard on the Batmobile and wanted to shove it down our throats basically.

Seriously, could Rocksteady bring back the old gadget select formula from Arkham Asylum and City? That's my one major gripe, and it really takes you out of the experience when you have to go to a menu in order to access smoke pellets or batarangs when you didn't before. Couldn't they in theory assign the gadget and mission wheels onto the L3 and R3 buttons?

Any chance they'll do a serious remapping of the controls for their goty edition? I always though Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence corrected a severe design flaw by incorperating a rotatable camera. I hope I'm not the only one feeling this way, but I'm finding it to be a goddam hassle.
It's annoying me too, but I forget how it worked in the old games.

It's annoying me too, but I forget how it worked in the old games.

Everything was mapped to the D-pad. Eight directions and double-taps for the cardinal ones to give you twelve quick-select gadgets. It was much quicker than Arkham Knight's radial menu, but it did use up the entire D-pad.

I don't much like the radial menu, either; I think all the other sub menus could have been mapped to L3 and R3 like crackhead_bob said, or just put in the normal pause menu like they were in the last two games. Switching to a radial menu isn't exactly a huge deal, but it does seem like an unnecessary change for the worse.

Rean

I hate that whole part of the game.

ElRenoRaven

I always felt like the riddles worked better in the Asylum style enviroment, I always like going through the indoor spots and getting the trophies and riddles but I have a lot of issues with finicky shit too. I had a HELL of a time scanning ivy's plant even if it's the most obvious one in the game.

Oh don't get me started on that shit. I spent 30 goddamn minutes trying to get it to register when scanning it. I was seriously about to throw my goddamn controller. Finally it worked on the 5,000th time I lined it up a certain way. I'd lined it up like that 4 billion other times yet it was like nope fuck you try again.

So, what do you think??

I like the reference to the Return of Bruce Wayne. A+

I don't much like the radial menu, either; I think all the other sub menus could have been mapped to L3 and R3 like crackhead_bob said, or just put in the normal pause menu like they were in the last two games. Switching to a radial menu isn't exactly a huge deal, but it does seem like an unnecessary change for the worse.

Is it possible for Rocksteady to do this on a design level, or would it break up the programming code altogether? They wouldn't be under a deadline pressure this time around, and I think it would resolve one major issue among the fans.

Again, MGS3: Subsistence fixed the problem of limited view with their rotatable camera. In Arkham Knight, it's kind of game breaking during the predator moments, which the old format served well in that regard. Konami also offered a patch for MGS4 to get rid of those long ass load screens. It took them several years to do so, but they addressed a major gripe that players had with that game.

And matrix_cat, why didn't they put the radial wheels in the select function? What technical limitations may have compelled them into doing that? I know that they're a hassle to find and press, but I really could settle for that set up, or even placing them in the waynetech button, even though it would have added 4 extra tabs in doing so.

On Demand

Banned
I never minded it in City and Origins, but it seems really repetitive in this game. I'm flying around looking for riddles and I'm hearing the same old stuff over and over and over. And Riddler constantly chiming in over the big screens isn't any better. Guy's calculated pi to a bajillion places about ten times now.

Is anyone else finding the riddles pretty frustrating this time around, btw? I really dislike the ones where you have to follow a trail of question marks with the Batmobile's sonar; I've found like five that lead me on a long, tedious trail and then just fucking end and I have no idea where I'm supposed to go next. And a lot of the riddles that need to be scanned in are extremely finicky. You aim at what you think is the right point and get 'Subject Too Small', so you zoom in and get 'No Subject Detected', then you come at it from another angle and it's 'Subject Obscured'. Maddening.

Yeah I don't get those. I found one that lead me to an underground tunnel then just stopped. There is a riddler trophy under there (It's under Penessa studios) actually so I'm guessing it gives you hints towards a trophy? But that would be dumb. And using the tank to follow these trails is not good at all.

Speaking of.....how exactly do you get that trophy? Is the barrier suppose to shut off?

On Demand

Banned
Either way, the rain does stop for me occasionally. Don't know if anyone else noticed this. Can't be normal cause if I go higher up the rain is there. And if i load the game again it rains normally.

jey_16

Banned
spoiler query
how did Batman get infected with the Joker blood? i'm a fair way through the game and i know he was exposed to the fear toxin and that was when the hallucinations started but why was there a quarantine cell already set up for him? had he already been infected by the blood?

AHA-Lambda

Hypothetical. Do you think Arkham Knight would have been better or worse off if it had been designed without the Batmobile's battle-mode?

Actually, i want to say it'd be worse off. There's room for improvement no doubt but at least it adds something new to what otherwise would have been an identical game for the 3rd time.

Vire

spoiler query
how did Batman get infected with the Joker blood? i'm a fair way through the game and i know he was exposed to the fear toxin and that was when the hallucinations started but why was there a quarantine cell already set up for him? had he already been infected by the blood?

Mid Game Spoiler:

He had a blood transfusion with Joker early on in Arkham City.

Alienous

Actually, i want to say it'd be worse off. There's room for improvement no doubt but at least it adds something new to what otherwise would have been an identical game for the 3rd time.

Fair enough. For me it's just the obligatory turret sequence we seen in shooter campaigns made a frequently recurring game mechanic. It overstayed its welcome, I think.

Driving around in the Batmobile's pursuit mode would have been enough 'new' for me, along with all of the additions made to the freeflow and predator.

Hypothetical. Do you think Arkham Knight would have been better or worse off if it had been designed without the Batmobile's battle-mode?
Depends. If they replaced it with more subway crawling I'd say it'd be worse off.

It was nice of
Jokers blood to wait a year before doing anything to him.
Batman has an iron will! And it did affect him in Arkham City.

The only thing I don't understand is if it's supposed to be a continuation of the Titan stuff, or if it's just suggesting that the reason the Joker is the Joker in the first place is because he has some nasty prions floating around.

i think the problem has more to do with the game becoming centered around the batmobile's battle-mode, rather than it being designed with or without it. that it's actually this game's go-to mechanic for boss battles i think says it all...

KyleP29

Favorite part
When the batmobile is destroyed
Worst Part
When batman says "don't worry i have a spare batmobile" and knowing even more battle mode mission are incoming

There's way too much Batmobile, otherwise I'm enjoying it. Alot of the times it should be optional to use it, many times you're just forced to and it's like "ugh, again...?" even tho it's fun and cool etc it's a bit repetetive. I rather fly around the city than using the batmobile and then just summon it whenever I need it.

Questions/concerns though:

1. Why the fuck are the challenge maps gone? Are they ALL gonna be DLC? If that's the case then fuck, they better add alot of them because shit City had a ton of them and I spent so many hours on them with all characters and I would love to do it again. Specially with Harley.

1,5. When are they gonna start releasing the Season Pass conent? I want those challenge maps asap.

2. The Harley Story Pack DLC, WTF? 15 minutes? And that's it? Harley is hysterical and when she talks to herself in Psychosis Mode or whatever, it's a nice touch. The Rampage thing is also hella fun and just her overall comments.

3. But... do Harley and Catwoman share a couple of moves or? Harley pouncing away a la Catwoman looks kinda silly.

4. No free roaming around the city with Robin, Nightwing, Catwoman, Harley... doing that with Catwoman in AC was hella fun so why not this time...?

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody else having audio issues on the PS4 version?

I'm using Pulse Elite headphones and the game is fine most of the time except for during pre-rendered cutscenes sometimes the audio will cut out for a couple of seconds.

Really annoying.

pahamrick

I love the Batmobile, overall. However, the focus on so many of the 'boss' fights being Batmobile based and hardly any real Boss predator encounters was a huge disappointment.

Alienous

Battle mode is awesome, there is just too much of it in the last half of the game

I wouldn't call it awesome. And I'm not saying it's bad.

Games benefit from a change to standard mechanics, You see that a lot in the form of turret sequences, or for a more specific example the sniper sequence in The Last of Us. Battle-mode, to me, is like Batman: Arkham Knight's turret sequence, but then at some point they decided to give it a role in gameplay that is second only to hand-to-hand combat.

When I say "Imagine Arkham Knight without it" I mean to think about what the game could have been if that wasn't a crutch they had to rely on. If they had no choice but to design bosses without just throwing you and your opponent in a vehicle, for instance.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Just checked Secton Hill's tweeter and he told a fan that they are working on making other characters playable for challenge maps. Hopefully the DLC adds some more maps because the current amount is very low

I'm three hours in and I'm already bored by the vehicle combat. And the story.

Arkham Asylum truly can't be topped. So much more focused and refined.

I'm three hours in and I'm already bored by the vehicle combat. And the story.

Arkham Asylum truly can't be topped. So much more focused and refined.
I think it comes down to if you prefer endlessly battling the same boring monster enemy or endlessly battling the same tank enemy :p

Who felt that the story of the
Arkham Knight hit a dead end?

For it being named Batman: Arkham Knight, he ended up taking a backseat to Scarecrow and was never given proper closure. I really hope that Rocksteady has a final DLC story pack in mind, because I felt his overall arc felt incomplete.

I know they're going to have additional dlc for villains, but if they're anything like the Red Hood or Harley Quinn story packs then I'll take a pass.

It surprises me that no one has mentioned this yet.

I think it comes down to if you prefer endlessly battling the same boring monster enemy or endlessly battling the same tank enemy :p
The biggest problem for me is every location feels like a challenge room target than a well designed location.

Arkham Asylum is one of the best video game locations ever.

Who felt that the story of the
Arkham Knight hit a dead end?

For it being named Batman: Arkham Knight, he ended up taking a backseat to Scarecrow and was never given proper closure. I really hope that Rocksteady has a final DLC story pack in mind, because I felt his overall arc felt incomplete.

I know they're going to have additional dlc for villains, but if they're anything like the Red Hood or Harley Quinn story packs then I'll take a pass.

It surprises me that no one has mentioned this yet.
Pretty sure the game was supposed to be called "Batman: City of Fear" until the WB execs saw that and said "It needs Arkham in the title".

Top Bottom