• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

No reason vent animations should feel so good, but Rocksteady's animation team and presentation goes above and beyond in every aspect.

AK209726.gif

I'm not interested in playing this game at all, just randomly wandered here. That being said, DAMN, this one especially given the seamless way he enters the building from outside world into the closed up room.

DrBo42

I believe you. After 73 percent completion of the whole game, I'm convinced much of the hate is overblown considerably. The only weak point has been the straight-up drone combat when it's drawn out, particularly during those bomb diffusing sequences — the cobra drone fights are actually intense and interesting in that they require some tactics. I read a reviewer talking about how infuriating the car-stealth sequences were. Upon playing them, all I could this was "that's it?" I completely understand why some might think people complaining about the tank segments just suck at them going by that review.

It's a distraction at worst, and it's a bit baffling to see it be a notable hangup for people. There are a lot of predator sequences in this game, even more than in Asylum, and there's definitely no shortage of straight-up fights, especially if you indulge in the side missions. There's been no tank part that seems like a brick wall worthy of note. Getting three stars in the AR challenge, sure, but nothing in the main game.
To be clear I was talking about the combat in general. Stealth bit is just whatever, at least it wasn't the same boring shit.

I'm not interested in playing this game at all, just randomly wandered here. That being said, DAMN, this one especially given the seamless way he enters the building from outside world into the closed up room.

Seamless is the name of the game. Batman: Seamless Knight would actually be a fitting title.

daftstar

To be clear I was talking about the combat in general. Stealth bit is just whatever, at least it wasn't the same boring shit.

"Same boring shit" I really don't get this. If you mean the game throwing dozens of drones at you and prolonged battles, there are a bunch of options to dispose of them faster. Aiming for weak points, drone virus, EMP blast, missile barrage, general weapon upgrades... Plus the whole thing actually involves active awareness and constantly being on your toes. Hardly "boring shit"

On a different note, what I want to know is how the hell they managed to
change those billboards to show Joker whenever you rotate the camera.
That was some mind-blowing shit.

Neiteio

Just beat the main story for the "first ending." Holy shit, didn't think they would (MAJOR SPOILERS)
reveal his identity to the world

Finished the game, was pretty good. Didn't do all the riddles tho and just youtubed the 100% ending, too big backlog for this shit.

I was wishing/expecting the finale to be
Joker taking over and you having to control Arkham Knight/Robin dual team or something to stop him. I'm not super into Batman ''lore'' but as said in the thread before the AK identity was very easy to guess. Not that it was a bad thing.

In **VERY** general terms with very little spoilers, can I comfortably beat the game at my own pace doing whatever I wish on Hard mode for the first playthrough and only worry about trophies afterwards?

I've had a look through all the achievements and I don't think there are any that are missable if that's what you're asking about. A good majority are story or side-quest related and the rest can be done whenever.

hawk2025

I've had a look through all the achievements and I don't think there are any that are missable if that's what you're asking about. A good majority are story or side-quest related and the rest can be done whenever.

Cool, thanks.

I'll just leisurely beat the main missions with a sprinkle of side missions, then do all the side missions afterwards :)

In **VERY** general terms with very little spoilers, can I comfortably beat the game at my own pace doing whatever I wish on Hard mode for the first playthrough and only worry about trophies afterwards?

Yeah, nothing missable.

One of the trophy
you'll have to beat an even higher difficulty on NG+

Loakum

Banned
*sigh* I'm still waiting for my copy since one of my neighbors stole my amazon/UPS delivered Limited Edition from off my porch. I have to wait until Tuesday (hopefully I will get to it in time, before my neighbors do).

Neiteio

I'm going to be super-busy this week, so I went ahead and glanced at descriptions of the other endings. I'm still going to pursue 100%, since the game is so fun, but I needed some more closure now. And, uh, wow. I have no idea what to make of the "third stage" ending. Maybe it'll make sense when I see it?

Afrodium

Banned
I'm 80% through the story and I think people's enjoyment of the tank battles comes down to whether or not they leveled up the tank. The only segment that's given me a real tough time was a completely optional mine defusing mission. I think the tank stuff is really fun.

Are there more twists to look forward to other than the identity of
Arkham Knight
? It was spoiled for me but I still want to be excited for the plot. Just looking for a simple yes / no answer. Thanks.

Have you seen past Ace Chemicals section yet?
if no then yes.
Far bigger and better than that reveal.

highrider

Banned
Man, I'm loving this game enough to consider the season pass. That's really saying something for me, as I'm usually the first guy to razz that stuff.

ViciousDS

Banned
*sigh* I'm still waiting for my copy since one of my neighbors stole my amazon/UPS delivered Limited Edition from off my porch. I have to wait until Tuesday (hopefully I will get to it in time, before my neighbors do).

You really should setup a camera or something.

sdornan

I am impressed by how much the dialog tailors itself to the end-game events after you beat the game. Even the thugs and random cops in GCPD have changed dialog.

So I'm just finishing up the last few Riddler trophies... and I think one on
Stagg's Airship
has bugged.
There's a voice activated door and a crate that you have to slide out the airship's window... but despite the fact that the door is open, I can reopen it every time I visit it, but no matter what, the crate won't budge an inch. It has to slide right out the window, and smash on the shore below.
I think I might be boned until NG+, and I really hadn't intended to do that until PC patches had taken place.

tesqui

About to beat the game and I can confidently say I thoroughly enjoyed the Batmobile in every respect. Both the combat and general maneuverability. Something about dodging those tanks is real fun. What I don't like and don't think I'll ever like in any game is this style of hand to hand combat. I just really suck at reacting fast to things. I have to remember all these button combos. It's the same reason why I hate quick time events. If I could bypass the combat altogether by just using stealth then I'd be 100% okay with it. But unfortunately in certain situations you HAVE to get up and personal.

Neff

You can, but don't skip too many sidequests.

Slightly more detailed explanation, no story spoilers:
After having beaten hard mode twice myself now, it's obvious that the game expects you to stay on top of upgrades, and side-missions are by far the quickest way of getting them. You'll find that some very stiff challenges are thrown at you late in the game, without the opportunity to back off and find XP elsewhere, so it's possible to funnel yourself into un-winnable battles (at least without dropping the difficulty) if you're not careful.

On normal, you can pretty much do whatever you like.

daftstar

So I'm just finishing up the last few Riddler trophies... and I think one on
Stagg's Airship
has bugged.
There's a voice activated door and a crate that you have to slide out the airship's window... but despite the fact that the door is open, I can reopen it every time I visit it, but no matter what, the crate won't budge an inch. It has to slide right out the window, and smash on the shore below.
I think I might be boned until NG+, and I really hadn't intended to do that until PC patches had taken place.

You need to tilt the airship to get the crate to fly out the window.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
So, I'm %50 done with the story and suddenly I need 10,000 EXP to level up? I could've sworn a level or two ago it was still 2000. Am I missing something? Wtf? I still have a SHITLOAD of powers to unlock, this doesn't seem right

You need to tilt the airship to get the crate to fly out the window.

Oh I know exactly what to do. But like I said, the crate doesn't budge. It behaves as though the door is still closed, and every time I return, even though the door is already open, I can open it again... to no effect.

So, I'm %50 done with the story and suddenly I need 10,000 EXP to level up? I could've sworn a level or two ago it was still 2000. Am I missing something? Wtf? I still have a SHITLOAD of powers to unlock, this doesn't seem right

Most of your waynetech points come from doing objectives, not leveling up. Focus on the Most Wanted sidequest system.

Only played a little of they first batman game.

Question for Arkham knight

Is the joker supposed to be dead in this game, or batman can only see him, or have I got it completely wrong?

Only played a little of they first batman game.

Question for Arkam knight

Is the joker supposed to be dead in this game, or batman can only see him, or have I got it completely wrong?
You watched Joker die like a month (or 6?) ago in Arkham City. He's a figment of your mind brought on by the fear toxin.

RDreamer

I'm starting to like the game a bit more. I think I'm kind of coming to terms with what this is. It still kind of feels like the developer wanted to build some sort of tank/car game and the publisher was like "No, you still need to make batman" so they said fuck it and mashed everything together. Since it's been a damned long time since I played Arkham City, I don't remember a lot of controls and this game throws everything and the kitchen sink at you all right off the bat with barely a tutorial. I'm still royally fucking up almost all the controls. It would have been nice if there was a bit of a more 'linear' just batman intro to kind of get used to things and then all the tank shit was added later.

daftstar

Oh I know exactly what to do. But like I said, the crate doesn't budge. It behaves as though the door is still closed, and every time I return, even though the door is already open, I can open it again... to no effect.

Most of your waynetech points come from doing objectives, not leveling up. Focus on the Most Wanted sidequest system.

Probably a bug then. Not sure about the state of the PC port if you're playing that.

sdornan

I'm starting to like the game a bit more. I think I'm kind of coming to terms with what this is. It still kind of feels like the developer wanted to build some sort of tank/car game and the publisher was like "No, you still need to make batman" so they said fuck it and mashed everything together. Since it's been a damned long time since I played Arkham City, I don't remember a lot of controls and this game throws everything and the kitchen sink at you all right off the bat with barely a tutorial. I'm still royally fucking up almost all the controls. It would have been nice if there was a bit of a more 'linear' just batman intro to kind of get used to things and then all the tank shit was added later.
Even after completing the game, I still find myself pressing the wrong button on the dpad to change gadgets.

viveks86

Nice shots! Game looks so much better with AO. What are you using to capture your shots?

Yeah game has so much going on at the same time that it leaves most multi plat games in the dust, visually speaking. Though I must say all the new frostbite games are definitely getting there. I use the sweetfx print screen functionality

That was the moment that convinced me that people who don't like the Batmobile aren't bothering to try to get good with it.

Absolute rubbish. I beat it pretty easily too, but that doesn't mean it's fun, engaging and enjoyable game design. Besides, you can hardly not get good with the Bat-tank. The game makes you do it so many times, and it's the exact same encounter over and over and over again; you get your practice in whether you like it or not.

Probably stupid but hint for the color question mark puzzle in the movie studio?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, you should be able to see an orange electrical cable or something (in Detective Mode) that goes under the floor and connects those coloured question marks to something in a different room. Follow that cable.

Neiteio

Is it one of the crates with the red/green symbol on it that you have to unlock using the hacking device in order for it to slide when you tilt the ship?

I'm going to be super-busy this week, so I went ahead and glanced at descriptions of the other endings. I'm still going to pursue 100%, since the game is so fun, but I needed some more closure now. And, uh, wow. I have no idea what to make of the "third stage" ending. Maybe it'll make sense when I see it?

I can't believe you have to 100% it to get it, should I even bother if I REALLY hate the riddler trophies?

The tank stuff probably amounts to less than 2 hours of game time in a 25 hour game. Not harping on you but people are overreacting to this one part of an otherwise amazing game.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Okay, I just started the game and I really, REALLY cannot stand Jonathan Banks as Jim Gordon.

Dude, just seems plain bored all the time.

Okay, I know I said this earlier but after
Barbara got kidnapped
, I think I have to redact this statement.

Top Bottom