• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Is it one of the crates with the red/green symbol on it that you have to unlock using the hacking device in order for it to slide when you tilt the ship?

I wish it was. No, there's only one side of it that's even visible. The other sides have batarang-breadth gaps between them and opaque walls. I am 99% sure it's a bug. Seriously, I use the voice concealer and tell the door to open and the open door replays the door opening animation. That ain't right. I just did some AR challenges to get the Predator Takedowns achievement, and I'm on my way back there now, but I don't have high hopes. :p

Probably a bug then. Not sure about the state of the PC port if you're playing that.

I have my doubts its a PC issue, I suspect it's one of those one in a million idiosyncracies that just occassionally pop up. But yeah. I'm thinking it's a bug.

I've fallen into a strange compulsion. Every time Batman gets on the video com, I spin the camera around and try to line up the heads so they get bat ears...

Probably the dumbest thing I've ever done...repeatedly.

http://imgur.com/a/koQyu#0

I'd just been putting their heads on his SHOULDERS, it'd never occurred to me to match up the ears. Well done.

Quick question for the last riddler challenge tagging just in case
do you need to beat the game first? I have 80% of the story done but everytime I try to go into the room it says I need a certain gadget. I was planning on beating all the side missions before I finished the game but idk if that is possible.

Absolute rubbish. I beat it pretty easily too, but that doesn't mean it's fun, engaging and enjoyable game design. Besides, you can hardly not get good with the Bat-tank. The game makes you do it so many times, and it's the exact same encounter over and over and over again; you get your practice in whether you like it or not.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, you should be able to see an orange electrical cable or something (in Detective Mode) that goes under the floor and connects those coloured question marks to something in a different room. Follow that cable.

Man I figure out some hard ones and something that simple stumps me, didn't notice that cable.
Thanks.

Zant532

Are there more twists to look forward to other than the identity of
Arkham Knight
? It was spoiled for me but I still want to be excited for the plot. Just looking for a simple yes / no answer. Thanks.

What are you talking about?!? Yes there's another big twist literally right after that segment.

Also has anybody figured out how to get the Riddler Trophy atop the Osamu Tower? There's some numbers written next to it, but I don't know what for.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So decided to take out a random group of like 15 guys on the street, imagine the horror on my face when I noticed that for some reason, one of them
was the Joker.
Oh my lord, this is one of those stealth horror games isn't it? ._.

Drayco21

Quick question for the last riddler challenge tagging just in case
do you need to beat the game first? I have 80% of the story done but everytime I try to go into the room it says I need a certain gadget. I was planning on beating all the side missions before I finished the game but idk if that is possible.

I think the story does eventually tell you to get the gadget, but you can go get it as early in the game as you want.

It's in the GCPD building evidence room; you just need to smash the glass and take it.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
So decided to take out a random group of like 15 guys on the street, imagine the horror on my face when I noticed that for some reason, one of them
was the Joker.

I'm only 15 percent in but these jump scares so far aren't a good sign for my jumpiness.

SO, im about halfway through the game, 12 hours-ish and I think my save is screwed. When I load up the game, Batman spawns inside a building, clipped through the geometry and just falls through the world. I can see through the building to the outside because a big part of the inside isnt textured.

I can grapple onto some of the geometry, but can't clip through back to the world. Is there a way to load earlier into the game?

EDIT - restarted the game and it corrected itself. but happened 4 times prior.

RDreamer

The tank stuff probably amounts to less than 2 hours of game time in a 25 hour game. Not harping on you but people are overreacting to this one part of an otherwise amazing game.

If that's true then they really lay it on thick at the beginning because I've only played a few hours and the bat mobile has been pretty integral to nearly all of it so far...

I don't necessarily mind that gameplay... I mean if it were in a different game. It just feels weird here. And also just insane amount of controls is what's crazy to me. as I said, they throw everything at you right away and if you haven't played an Arkham game in a while it's really overwhelming. They should have intro'd just the regular bat mobile for a bit then done tank stuff. Throwing it together all right away has my fingers just confused as fuck. The regular bat mobile needs r2 to go forward while tank thing needs l2 and just forward on the stick. I keep trying l2 for break with the bat mobile. And I keep trying to just press forward with the bat mobile. It's just all so chaotic right away.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'm only 15 percent in but these jump scares so far aren't a good sign for my jumpiness.
I'm only 11 percent in. I saved and re-watched the fight clip, the dude literally comes out of nowhere. Don't do this to me Rocksteady. T-T

jbug617

Banned
Just finished the
Cloudburst fight. It was not that bad just super annoying because of how much ground it covers.

Also am I wrong that
I expected more messed up hallucinations when the toxins were released.

How much story do I have left? I am about to
look for Gordon.

There is no way this is true.

I spent no more than 10 minutes on each scripted batmobile segment. There's no way the story walked me through 12 batmobile sections. I count 3-4 off top of my head ( intro, first stealth segment,
cloudburst
and
Arkham fight
).

My final count time is just over 29 hrs. With all the hyperbole in the thread, you would have thought that "quite a bit" amounted to a third of that playtime or something.

Fury451

Banned
Okay, I know I said this earlier but after
Barbara got kidnapped
, I think I have to redact this statement.

Yep, that's when it all changes, because I agreed at first. He actually is really good in this, but I think he was directed to play tired/burnt out Jim at the beginning which makes sense. Ended up really liking his performance after the part mentioned.

Pop

was the Joker.

Yes! And it gets worse as the story goes on with the jump scares.

Yep, that's when it all changes, because I agreed at first. He actually is really good in this, but I think he was directed to play tired/burnt out Jim at the beginning which makes sense. Ended up really liking his performance after the part mentioned.
Sounds like he is doing a Bryan Cranston impression.
Not a bad performance.

I spent no more than 10 minutes on each scripted batmobile segment. There's no way the story walked me through 12 batmobile sections. I count 3-4 off top of my head ( intro, first stealth segment,
cloudburst
and
Arkham fight
).

My final count time is just over 29 hrs. With all the hyperbole in the thread, you would have thought that "quite a bit" amounted to a third of that playtime or something.
I'm 80% of the way through the game and there have probably been at least 8 Batmobile tank sections. Some of it is interwoven with getting out of the car and unlocking the gate to another area to fight more drones, but there is still a lot of tank gameplay in there and the basis of a lot of sections is essentially "Get the Batmobile from point A to point B". I can think of at least two sections you're missing there that are exactly like the (70% story spoilers)
cloudburst section where you have to blow up the cobras. Because that definitely wasn't the first time those tanks were introduced.

I also thought you were including side quests in there, because there is no way it takes 25 hours just to beat the story, which would bump the tank gameplay up significantly. Like I said, defending the mines is all tank gameplay, and that in itself is probably around an hour of gameplay.

cloudburst
and
Arkham fight
).

I mean, does it have to hit some arbitrary hour threshold to become valid as a complaint? The game makes you do a lot of tank fighting, and if you don't like the first instance of it you aren't going to like any of the many, many subsequent ones because it's the same thing every single time. The
Cloudburst bossfight
doesn't have to count for X% of the entire experience to register as a shitty thing.

I'm 80% of the way through the game and there have probably been at least 8 Batmobile tank sections. Some of it is interwoven with getting out of the car and moving unlocking the gate to another area to fight more drones, but there is still a lot of tank gameplay in there and the basis of a lot of sections is essentially "Get the Batmobile from point A to point B". I can think of at least two sections you're missing there that are exactly like the (70% story spoilers)
cloudburst section where you have to blow up the cobras. Because that definitely wasn't the first time those tanks were introduced.

I also thought you were including side quests in there, because there is no way it takes 25 hours just to beat the story, which would bump the tank gameplay up significantly. Like I said, defending the mines is all tank gameplay, and that in itself is probably around an hour of gameplay.

I think there is a distinction between "tank combat" and just being in tank mode (puzzles, winch, etc). Tank combat is, indeed, a relatively small portion of the game. Almost every tank combat segment is quite short (a matter of minutes each time). But being in tank/Battle Mode is quite a bit more common.

ZeroX03

Banned
For a 100% run you absolutely need more than two hours on the Batmobile. Even if you were perfect and invested all upgrades in it – which we can safely assume won't be the case for most players - it's still a tough ask. All the story missions, APCs,
Firefly
, mines, races and puzzles? Maybe story missions alone.

And it's not just time spent in the Batmobile. It's that the time spent in it isn't as deep or engaging as combat or predator. It's not bad, it's just a step down.

Tsukumo

Asshole Batman:

- Fails riddler challenge: takes it out on thugs
- Spent an entire life training in martial arts: and five minutes to learn how to drive
- Watches thugs beating up on the Batmobile for ten minutes: activates countermeasures for two seconds of laughter
- Cops gift him with an entire evidence room, all tidy and neat: smashes everything to get one riddler trophy and one gadget
- Doesn't talk to Robin and Nightwing: talks to himself all the time
- Saves people: buries them into the belly of a tank with no water, no services and no windows while rams at full into speed into cars, walls and human beings
- Riddler informant gives intel without resistance: grabs one arm and one leg and smashes him on the floor.

Megatron

The tank stuff probably amounts to less than 2 hours of game time in a 25 hour game. Not harping on you but people are overreacting to this one part of an otherwise amazing game.

Really? I'm not real far in,
barbara was kidnapped, I'm trying to find her
but so far the tank sections are much more than that percentage.
also not a plan of the get out of the bat mobile, activate a lift, get back in, drive ten feet, get out, open a gate, get back in, etc

I mean, does it have to hit some arbitrary hour threshold to become valid as a complaint? The game makes you do a lot of tank fighting, and if you don't like the first instance of it you aren't going to like any of the many, many subsequent ones because it's the same thing every single time. The
Cloudburst bossfight
doesn't have to count for X% of the entire experience to register as a shitty thing.

I will clarify where I am coming from and drop my silly statistics.

People aren't quantifying "a lot". We had posters come in here being dramatic and proclaiming they were having a hard time "forcing" themselves to complete this when it is painfully obvious that as a package, there is more to the sum than a single part (batmobile). I understand if people do not like it's inclusion and/or execution, but to outright dismiss an overall incredible experience because of this single element is unfortunate. I am merely trying to extend some perspective on the matter as I am willing to bet that people who can stick through it will come away with a different takeaway. Thankfully, it is not core to the experience and that's the position I should have expressed above.

I say all this as a guy who grew frustrated by Witcher 3 controls/fighting mechanics and almost gave up on what would later become a 130 hour journey :)

Really? I'm not real far in,
barbara was kidnapped, I'm trying to find her
but so far the tank sections are much more than that percentage.
also not a plan of the get out of the bat mobile, activate a lift, get back in, drive ten feet, get out, open a gate, get back in, etc

Rest assured, unless my memory is failing me, that is the only time I can conjur up a memory of its inclusion in a "dungeon" segment. That segment fell into my "intro" reference earlier.

I think there is a distinction between "tank combat" and just being in tank mode (puzzles, winch, etc). Tank combat is, indeed, a relatively small portion of the game. Almost every tank combat segment is quite short (a matter of minutes each time). But being in tank/Battle Mode is quite a bit more common.
I know, I still think there is more then 2 hours of just tank combat in the game if you do all of the side quest stuff.

I don't think the distinction is that important anyway, because it's not as if people are only complaining about the combat part of the tank sections. A lot of the puzzles seem to unnecessarily include the Batmobile as well. I can think of at least a couple Batmobile puzzles that would have just been quick bat claw sections in the older games.

Returned to the riddler trophy a final time to show a friend who was watching me play. And then it worked. Weird as hell, but I'll take it! 100% ending get. Loved this game to bits. The only thing I've left to do is NG+, and I'll be saving that for a rainy day. Between this and Witcher 3, it's been a good summer for games.

rrc1594

"Finding out your Wayne was the best news I ever heard, go get some cash because I'm going to sue your ass"
LMAO I'm in tears

DrBo42

"Same boring shit" I really don't get this. If you mean the game throwing dozens of drones at you and prolonged battles, there are a bunch of options to dispose of them faster. Aiming for weak points, drone virus, EMP blast, missile barrage, general weapon upgrades... Plus the whole thing actually involves active awareness and constantly being on your toes. Hardly "boring shit"

I think it's because their tactics never change. It's always line dodging and missile shooting. That's the extent of it until the dedicated Cobra stuff comes in.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Am i the only one who feels like the enemies are a lot more passive and slower to attack compared to the previous games? I play all the Batman games on hard.

What in the actual fuck? Seriously?

I pretty much dominated Arkham City and Origins (challenge rooms, not story), but the combat in this game has frustrated the fuck outta me quite a few times. Too much camera movement, too many different enemy types to keep track of, far too much camera zoom in, batman frequently whiffs and loses freeflow, improper targeting of enemies to take down. I got really tired of being hit by enemies I couldn't see. Pretty much every fight devolved into have to build up my combo so I could do instant takedowns so I could readjust the camera during the i-frames.

IMO, Arkham Knight had far and away the worst combat encounters of all the Arkham games.

foxtrot3d

Banned
"Finding out your Wayne was the best news I ever heard, go get some cash because I'm going to sue your ass"
LMAO I'm in tears

My favorite post-game thug dialogue goes something like:

MEGA SPOILERS

"Man, Batman gets unmasked, takes down Scarecrow, and he still out there. Geez, take a night off you playboy, vigilante, nutcase."

-Deimos

What in the actual fuck? Seriously?

I pretty much dominated Arkham City and Origins (challenge rooms, not story), but the combat in this game has frustrated the fuck outta me quite a few times. Too much camera movement, too many different enemy types to keep track of, far too much camera zoom in, batman frequently whiffs and loses freeflow, improper targeting of enemies to take down. I got really tired of being hit by enemies I couldn't see. Pretty much every fight devolved into have to build up my combo so I could do instant takedowns so I could readjust the camera during the i-frames.

IMO, Arkham Knight had far and away the worst combat encounters of all the Arkham games.
I'm pretty early in the game, but the enemy attack indicator is ridiculously long on hard. The icon pops up way before they even start to attack and their wind up animation looks like it's in slow-mo.

Guess all that's left now is to wait for the DLC! Do we have any idea what the schedule is for it?

LMAO I'm in tears

Look out! Here comes Wayneman in the Waynemobile! Watch out he doesn't hit you with his Waynearangs!

EDIT: What a horrible post to make top of page. :\

Vaga

My favorite post-game thug dialogue goes something like:

MEGA SPOILERS

"Man, Batman gets unmasked, takes down Scarecrow, and he still out there. Geez, take a night off you playboy, vigilante, nutcase."

Mine was a joke that goes something like
"How many people does it take to make a superhero? Three, two to die and one to never get over it!"
Poor Bats.

I understand if people do not like it's inclusion and/or execution, but to outright dismiss an overall incredible experience because of this single element is unfortunate. I am merely trying to extend some perspective on the matter as I am willing to bet that people who can stick through it will come away with a different takeaway. Thankfully, it is not core to the experience and that's the position I should have expressed above.

I'm not dismissing everything about the game just because of the tank battles. I think an awful lot of the game is incredible, and while I don't think it's quite on the level of Rocksteady's first two Batmen I do think it's a great game overall. But, even after a single playthrough I'm already sick of the tank battles, and I don't agree that they aren't core to the experience. They're just as core as any other style of gameplay; you can't skip them, you can't make them go any faster, and no matter how much I might like all the other parts of the game, the tank battles are always going to be there to spoil my enjoyment. Every time I want to replay the game I'm going to be pushing through sections that I actively don't like and honestly think are of a much lower quality than the rest of the game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm pretty early in the game, but the enemy attack indicator is ridiculously long on hard. The icon pops up way before they even start to attack and their wind up animation looks like it's in slow-mo.
The attack indicators for most enemies are very generous, but for the brutes the counter window felt much shorter. For some reason I was always getting hit by them. I prefer to evade (jump over) instead of counter, but the brutes frequently got me before I could evade.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm not dismissing everything about the game just because of the tank battles. I think an awful lot of the game is incredible, and while I don't think it's quite on the level of Rocksteady's first two Batmen I do think it's a great game overall. But, even after a single playthrough I'm already sick of the tank battles, and I don't agree that they aren't core to the experience. They're just as core as any other style of gameplay; you can't skip them, you can't make them go any faster, and no matter how much I might like all the other parts of the game, the tank battles are always going to be there to spoil my enjoyment. Every time I want to replay the game I'm going to be pushing through sections that I actively don't like and honestly think are of a much lower quality than the rest of the game.
I agree completely, the batmobile sections sucked ass in many places and was fucking terrible. Yes, I hate those sections so much that it really lessens the likelihood that I will do another playthrough. RS made the batmobile an essential part of the game and IMO (I'm not alone) and it was very much to the detriment. Don't get me wrong, it was okay and even really fun at times, but it would have been much better if it had been a minor thing.

The fact that I absolutely hate racing games made it that much worse.

As I've said, people play the Arkham games to kick ass as Batman and serve as an enemy predator. That's where the thrill and excitement comes from.
I mean seriously, why in the goddamn fuck do most of the important boss battles take place in the batmobile. Especially (late game spoiler)
Deathstroke, I so wanted to have another face off similar to Origins, but instead we played a game of cat and mouse in a tank...sigh

Zakalwe

Banned
Honestly, I prefer the Tank combat to the later fighting encounters. Too many special enemies, annoying camera, and Batman whiffing and failing combos can get pretty annoying.

Really enjoyed the Slumdog Billionaire challenge. :3

Also has anybody figured out how to get the Riddler Trophy atop the Osamu Tower? There's some numbers written next to it, but I don't know what for.

Yep. Clues:

Write them next to each other, put a comma in the middle
Check your map
Solution:
Co-ordinates :p

slop101

Banned
Finally got to play a good chunk of this the other day.

Kinda' disappointed...

I really do enjoy the game when I'm not in a vehicle, and the times when I know where to go and what to do. Otherwise, it's kinda lame, not difficult or anything, just pointless and dull. Unfortunately, those parts I enjoy seem to amount to be about a third of the game. So 1/3 of the game is great 2/3 of it is lame.

Top Bottom