• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Alienous

Damn, I'm so close to the end. Loving the last 1/3 of this game!

I just
beat Arkham Knight
and loved
his new costume's homage to Red Hood. Got betrayed by Jim Gordon, about to save Barbara now.

Are there any big plot twists coming up? I'm excited for when I'm no longer afraid of spoilers lol.

RPQif2R.gif

Sojgat

Its nothing like an Ubisoft style world. These aren't just layers of collectibles that populate the world for seemingly no reason. The base action is repetitious but the design of the encounters and puzzles are all unique

The ones in Ubisoft games aren't?

The core gameplay mechanics may be stronger, but the side missions are all just variations on the same handful of gameplay activities scattered across the map.

and there is a proper progression and narrative reasons for all of this stuff to exist in the world.

None of this changes the basic mission structure of the open world, only how it is unlocked/revealed (story milestones replace tower climbing).

Lima

I love the Arkham games but yeah let's not pretend the side missions are any better than the stuff in Ubisoft open world games. It's all the same shit, filler stuff so the open world is not just there.

Alienous

Its nothing like an Ubisoft style world. These aren't just layers of collectibles that populate the world for seemingly no reason. The base action is repetitious but the design of the encounters and puzzles are all unique and there is a proper progression and narrative reasons for all of this stuff to exist in the world.

Pretty much all of the side missions are doing the same activity multiple times and something different once (usually at the end).

They are very cookie cutter.

ZeroX03

Banned
The series has been tilting more and more toward Ubisoft's style as it goes along. City to Origins to Knight. Less unique events, more repetitive gameplay. I don't count Riddler puzzles toward this, but trophies and towers are pretty big offenders.

Unlike Ubisoft games they don't bloat it up to excess and know when to stop before it gets too tedious. But I wouldn't want it to be taken any further than Knight.

void_if_removed

Neo Member
So, this is the game I've been most excited about for the last year, I absolutely loved the first 2, preordered this, and finally got to play it last night.

After about an hour I didn't really want to play anymore - am I crazy? I totally dismissed all the batmobile whining beforehand, but after spending 80% of my first hour in the damn thing I'm just bored as hell. I want to be soaring through the skies, demolishing 20 armed thugs and executing stealth takedowns. Not... whatever this is.

Please, reassure me it gets better, because this is the most disappointed I've been with a game since Colonial Marines.

Damn, I'm so close to the end. Loving the last 1/3 of this game!

I just
beat Arkham Knight
and loved
his new costume's homage to Red Hood. Got betrayed by Jim Gordon, about to save Barbara now.

Are there any big plot twists coming up? I'm excited for when I'm no longer afraid of spoilers lol.

There really are surprises up until the very end, imo. Even the 100% result/ending could be substantial.

stephen08

The series has been tilting more and more toward Ubisoft's style as it goes along. City to Origins to Knight. Less unique events, more repetitive gameplay. I don't count Riddler puzzles toward this, but trophies and towers are pretty big offenders.

Unlike Ubisoft games they don't bloat it up to excess and know when to stop before it gets too tedious. But I wouldn't want it to be taken any further than Knight.

I disagree that they are like Ubisoft. The towers specifically range from combat encounters, to stealth encounters and there are even some that are more puzzle based than anything.

Same with the Riddler stuff. The closest I think it gets is the hidden trophies.

So, this is the game I've been most excited about for the last year, I absolutely loved the first 2, preordered this, and finally got to play it last night.

After about an hour I didn't really want to play anymore - am I crazy? I totally dismissed all the batmobile whining beforehand, but after spending 80% of my first hour in the damn thing I'm just bored as hell. I want to be soaring through the skies, demolishing 20 armed thugs and executing stealth takedowns. Not... whatever this is.

Please, reassure me it gets better, because this is the most disappointed I've been with a game since Colonial Marines.

all of this points to a future post of you saying how amazing the game is and how wrong you were in the beginning.

Alienous

Judging by your complaints it'll get better, then it'll get worse.

You'll definitely get your stealth takedown fix sooner rather than later, but soon after that you'll have a lot more Batmobile.

ZeroX03

Banned
I disagree that they are like Ubisoft. The towers specifically range from combat encounters, to stealth encounters and there are even some that are more puzzle based than anything.

Same with the Riddler stuff. The closest I think it gets is the hidden trophies.

Mix towers with fireman hostages and that's a pretty even split of combat and predator encounters. They're not bad, there's just not a lot of variety even if a few have a twist with sentry guns.

And then there's the mines. At least combat and predator are great gameplay, that's literally just go to a location and fight a mob in your batmobile.

AS much as I hate to tell you this.. but it gets worse, yes. :( I enjoyed the game, but if the batmobile was limited to 2/3 missions at most, it would beat Asylum for me. Right now, even City is better than Knight imo.

BTA

bRyuPoe.png

ayyy, pc folks add me
http://steamcommunity.com/id/jediyoshi/

It's not better or worse per se, it's just different. Kind of a moot point since either dialogue is completely unique, not just variations, so you're still getting something out of going either way.

Hmm, alright. Thanks for the input! I guess I'll just focus a little more on the story than usual and be a little more likely to leave things for later if I feel like it.

Zakalwe

Banned
There's plenty of repetition. It's all so dull, go to area, destroy bad guys, go to tower, destroy bad guys. Let alone everything is so faceless. So disappointed in this game so far, worst in the series.

The game is incredibly varied.

Fighting
Tank combat
Dual fighting
Predator stealth (even a dual predator stealth section)
Batmobile stealth
Gliding traversal/Batmobile traversal
Simple detective work
Puzzles
Races/Pursuits
AR challenges

And the side quests mix up the above a little.

Every action game has repetition, but this one is not what you could call repetitive in the negative, imo.

Floex

The game is incredibly varied.

Fighting
Tank combat
Dual fighting
Predator stealth (even a dual predator stealth section)
Batmobile stealth
Gliding traversal/Batmobile traversal
Simple detective work
Puzzles
Races/Pursuits
AR challenges

And the side quests mix up the above a little.

Every action game has repetition, but this one is not what you could call repetitive in the negative, imo.

I disagree, again it's the Ubisoft problem, copy and paste template from the past games. Brilliant if you haven't done most of these before, dull if you have. I think I'm more disappointed in the lack of villains and then see there are going to be SIX of them in a DLC pack.

carlsojo

I disagree, again it's the Ubisoft problem, copy and paste template from the past games. Brilliant if you haven't done most of these before, dull if you have. I think I'm more disappointed in the lack of villains and then see there are going to be SIX of them in a DLC pack.

Lack of villains? There are
twelve?ish
total.

Zakalwe

Banned

It may look like an ubisoft template at a glance, but it's much less repetitive because they add interesting character interactions to each side quest (helps that batman villains are awesome) and the main filler stuff is much more interesting than the ubisoft collectathon filler as you actually have to solve puzzles to pick up the items.

It's not just cut and paste from their previous games. Or course it's going to have the same elements, it's part of a series, but this game adds more than enough to meaningfully differentiate it. All three games have a very specific feel.

I thought I'd be getting Batman fatigue at his point, but they definitely knew that could happen which is no doubt a reason this game has had so much added and refined.

And you should count the number of villains, there's more than enough.

Fliesen

Lack of villains? There are
twelve?ish
total.

none of them used properly. they're all just "framing" for formulaic sidequests.

races
against
firefly
predator scenes
against
two-face
5(?)
brawls with nightwing
against
penguin
sneaky tank battle
against
deadshot
etc.

there's no story arc, really. It's just the same basic challenge at slightly increasing difficulty.

I would say it was dull if the mechanics weren't super strong. Every new tower I had to takedown to firefighter I had to save I was thinking about different ways to approach it, planning ahead, what weapons and I going to disrupt, ammo crate I am going to booby trap. And most importantly, how high can I get my combo and how stylish can I look while doing it.

But yeah.... If I was the sort of player just gliding around to the next side mission and punch punch punching my way through everything I would get pretty bored too.

I would say it was dull if the mechanics weren't super strong. Every new tower I had to takedown to firefighter I had to save I was thinking about different ways to approach it, planning ahead, what weapons and I going to disrupt, ammo crate I am going to booby trap. And most importantly, how high can I get my combo and how stylish can I look while doing it.

But yeah.... If I was the sort of player just gliding around to the next side mission and punch punch punching my way through everything I would get pretty bored too.

Pretty much this. I understand the repetition of the batmobile moments as there are not many options in battle but everything else is designed in amazing fashion. These are the best predator maps, the bests combat fights. There are some genius riddler puzzles. Riddler challenges offer incredible variety.

This game is one of the best designed games I have played in a long time.

none of them used properly. they're all just "framing" for formulaic sidequests.

races
against
firefly
predator scenes
against
two-face
5(?)
brawls with nightwing
against
penguin
sneaky tank battle
against
deadshot
etc.

there's no story arc, really. It's just the same basic challenge at slightly increasing difficulty.

Wasn't that against
Deathstroke
? Not that it changes the fact that it wasn't very fulfilling, haha.

Major spoilers!
what happens in the hush side mission if you complete the story first? (as in already revealed yourself as bruce wayne to the world)

Fliesen

Wasn't that against
Deathstroke
? Not that it changes the fact that it wasn't very fulfilling, haha.

yeah, i always mix up these 2, my bad.

Major spoilers!
what happens in the hush side mission if you complete the story first? (as in already revealed yourself as bruce wayne to the world)

i don't think that you can break the sequence like that. It'll kinda force you into checking up on
Lucius at Wayne Tower

Alienous

Major spoilers!

The same thing, mostly.
They are isolated in Wayne Tower, with no access to the news. So after Batman helps Lucius he says "So I take it you didn't see the news" or something like that. Then they discuss how the secret is out there now.

Fliesen

The same thing, mostly.
They are isolated in Wayne Tower, with no access to the news. So after Batman helps Lucius he says "So I take it you didn't see the news" or something like that. Then they discuss how the secret is out there now.

oh, interesting.

I know that this game is only a week old, but is there any chance that Rocksteady could offer a patch that brings back the old gadget select format? The radial wheel really takes you out of the mood and seems so unnecessary. Remap the most wanted missions onto the select button. As awkward a placement as the select button is, I'm really finding the gadget wheel to be annoying, especially during the predator encounters.

Is anyone else feeling the same way?

I wonder how the hardcore fanbase at Arkhamverse.com is feeling about this as well, as they're quite vocal. I hope that Rocksteady is aware of this on some level.

Sojgat

I know that this game is only a week old, but is there any chance that Rocksteady could offer a patch that brings back the old gadget select format? The radial wheel really takes you out of the mood and seems so unnecessary. Remap the most wanted missions onto the select button. As awkward a placement as the select button is, I'm really finding the gadget wheel to be annoying, especially during the predator encounters.

Is anyone else feeling the same way?

I wonder how the hardcore fanbase at Arkhamverse.com is feeling about this as well, as they're quite vocal. I hope that Rocksteady is aware of this on some level.

Would love this.

Bring back the walk towards camera as well.

Beat the game last night, have a couple gameplay and non-spoilery questions

-Do they ever explain how Arkham Knight can afford an army? I mustve missed it

-Can you still do the old takedown where you pull a guy over the ledge? I was never able to do it.

-Sometimes when I would do the move where you pick an enemy off the ground for the beatdown Batman would just power bomb the guy into the pavement. Is there a specific way to do this? Or is it dependent on how much health the guy has?

Azlan

If I did not play much of Arkham City, would you recommend going back and playing that instead, or just moving forward and playing Arkham Knight. Chances are very slim that I would play both. Gameplay-wise, is Knight an improvement?

Just beat the
Cloudburst
boss fight. Not as bad as posts in this thread lead me to believe (I had to try the first section maybe 3 times, the second section maybe 5?), but I honestly don't know why Rocksteady thought that was fun/good design.

The part where the boss
aggressively chases you
right after you
hit him
is just bullshit.

edit:
(I mean you can see
Wayne Manor in the distance and the Batwing could be a story explanation of how you get there and back.

I think that's actually
Arkham Asylum
, no?

Simo

"Be the Batman". They weren't lying. My play through every night pretty much has me grappling to the rooftops and then using Detective Mode to find clues or intel near for the side missions or just to locate a riot or "green" persons of interest and then gliding and swan bombing them taking them out in fucking cool fashion before calling in the Batmobile and jetting off to another location or doing a side or main mission.

This is nearly the perfect Batman simulator and say nearly because there's no cave. I wish they would of included it and access via a quick travel option (I mean you can see
Wayne Manor in the distance and the Batwing could be a story explanation of how you get there and back.
. That way you could a in-game way of accessing the vaults and changing your suit/skin without going to the menu, training module for practicing your moves and abilities as you unlock them...pretty much the stuff you could do in Arkham Origin's Batcave.

There really do a great job with the detective work in the game but it would of been even cooler if they worked out a way, especially for the side missions/Most Wanted, where getting these clues and information required you to go the cave and solve the information there. I have to say Batman & Robin: The Videogame had little going for it but one of the things I did like was finding clues and then going to the cave to figure them out and pin point the next location Freeze would attack that you could prevent if you got there first or moving along the story.

"Be the Batman". They weren't lying. My play through every night pretty much has me grappling to the rooftops and then using Detective Mode to find clues or intel near for the side missions or just to locate a riot or "green" persons of interest and then gliding and swan bombing them taking them out in fucking cool fashion before calling in the Batmobile and jetting off to another location or doing a side or main mission.

This is nearly the perfect Batman simulator and say nearly because there's no cave. I wish they would of included it and access via a quick travel option (I mean you can see
. That way you could a in-game way of accessing the vaults and changing your suit/skin without going to the menu, training module for practicing your moves and abilities as you unlock them...pretty much the stuff you could do in Arkham Origin's Batcave.

Same here. I was really surprised they didn't have it in there. They kind of teased it in the first CG trailer and then hell, they even showed it in one of the more recent trailers...

Teleporter

Hey guys all my sweetfx, reshades and MasterEffects are crashing my game now, i got this Dxgi.dll crash prompt, weird thing it use to work like 3 days ago... Anyone have a nice reshade link to share? Thanks a lot... And what a great game this is! :)

Zakalwe

Banned
-Do they ever explain how Arkham Knight can afford an army? I mustve missed it

Not revealed yet, all information tells he came to the fold with the army in tow, so it must be someone behind the scenes. LoS? Lexcorp? Maybe someone with another long term plan for Gotham.

-Can you still do the old takedown where you pull a guy over the ledge? I was never able to do it.

I think so. Pretty sure i used it once, but I didn't try again.

Will check when home if no one has answered.

-Sometimes when I would do the move where you pick an enemy off the ground for the beatdown Batman would just power bomb the guy into the pavement. Is there a specific way to do this? Or is it dependent on how much health the guy has?

L2+Triangle is smash
L2+Circle is pick up

For ds4, translate to your controller of choice.

Sullichin

I hope that the Batmobile stealth part before
scarecrow releases cloudburst
is the worst of those sections. It wasn't that bad, but I died with one Cobra left and repeating it was pretty annoying.

I also managed to die during the part where
Joker sings and Robin defuses the bombs
. That was fucking awesome, possibly one of my favorite moments in the series.

This game seems heavy on moments like this and light as hell on actual boss fights. I'm not sure how I feel about this because the series has had some excellent boss fights in the past, and some not so great ones.

Defunkled

I need help. I'm trying to get the Riddler Trophy on Bleake Island that requires the Forensics Scanner from the Batmobile. It's to the right of where you pull the Batmobile onto the roof of a building using the Power Winch. I've already watched two videos of people using the scanner and following the question marks on the ground, leading them to the trophy. However, NOTHING appears in my game. I've reset the game multiples times and there are absolutely no Riddler question marks appearing on the ground.

Can anyone help? It's absolutely infuriating. I hope it's not a glitch in my game.

abundant

Not revealed yet, all information tells he came to the fold with the army in tow, so it must be someone behind the scenes. LoS? Lexcorp? Maybe someone with another long term plan for Gotham.

Scarecrow convinced Harley, Two Face, and Penguin to come up with 3 billion dollars, so that the Arkham Knight can fund his army. You find this out through a taped conversation with Scarecrow.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I need help. I'm trying to get the Riddler Trophy on Bleake Island that requires the Forensics Scanner from the Batmobile. It's to the right of where you pull the Batmobile onto the roof of a building using the Power Winch. I've already watched two videos of people using the scanner and following the question marks on the ground, leading them to the trophy. However, NOTHING appears in my game. I've reset the game multiples times and there are absolutely no Riddler question marks appearing on the ground.

Can anyone help? It's absolutely infuriating. I hope it's not a glitch in my game.

Those type of Riddler trophies have a sort of power winch thing that starts the whole forensic scanner trail. Basically, you need to look for what looks like a Green target symbol sign on a wall, once you're at the Wall get in the Batmobile, get into Battlemode and start the forensic scanner. You should start seeing green question marks appear then, follow them to the end target which is usually a weakened wall you have to shoot.

Top Bottom