• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Zakalwe

Banned
It's just tank section after tank section, punctuated by an incredibly disappointing encounter with the Arkham Knight.

From a gameplay perspective, it's pretty poor.

Can't agree, aside from the fact that the tank sections are brilliant, there's more than just those. The AK encounter is great imo, really nice atmosphere and great build up.

The ending is also brilliant. especially the final section from the
Bruce reveal and the Joker craziness.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I will say, no matter the varying quality of the individual gameplay mechanism, you can really feel the authentic and genuine labour of love Rocksteady put into their Arkham games. I think that's a massive part that keeps me going. Nothing about them feels farmed out or contractual. It's like the whole team, writers/animators/graphic designers/musicians/programmers, all really "get" the idea of Batman and are doing their best to deliver on it from top to bottom.

DukeBobby

Can't agree, aside from the fact that the tank sections are brilliant, there's more than just those. Especially the final section from the
Bruce reveal and the Joker craziness.

As I said, I enjoyed the final 20 minutes or so.

The rest, not so much.

that's also what i got...
but there's a first Knightfall ending you can get by getting the other cirminals in jail...but apparently getting them all first before scarecrow screws that up...Riddler is only SUPPOSED to be required for the extra part after the Knightfall ending...you should be able to trigger Knightfall after the other stuff....

Ah shit, I had all of them locked up except for Deathstroke before I got Scarecrow, Am i screwed? It still gives me the option to start Knightfall but did I miss something?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I will say, no matter the varying quality of the individual gameplay mechanism, you can really feel the authentic and genuine labour of love Rocksteady put into their Arkham games. I think that's a massive part that keeps me going. Nothing about them feels farmed out or contractual. It's like the whole team, writers/animators/graphic designers/musicians/programmers, all really "get" the idea of Batman and are doing their best to deliver on it from top to bottom.
I couldn't disagree with you more.

Too often the game does not play by its own rules. The camera in combat behaves like shit. Certain moves not working despite meeting the conditions to do so.

It's glitchy as fuck in many areas.

SJRB

Gold Member
Come on guys, there's a spoiler thread for a reason. This thread is like a minefield right now.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Too often the game does not play by its own rules. The camera in combat behaves like shit. Certain moves not working despite meeting the conditions to do so.

That's not what I meant. Not quality as in consistent and perfect on a technical level or game design, but in the overall presentation and direction.

Zakalwe

Banned

Fully agree, it's clear they have huge respect for the character and the world surround him. Bugs and pc state aside, the presentation and attention to detail in the games is incredible, a recent example for me being the transition the story ending to post game free roam, it felt so natural and made the post game content feel like an actual part of the game instead of a tacked on mode meant for mopping up side quests and collectables.

The way the
audio changes j
ust makes it even better.

There are also so many little details, like if you complete quests after
Bruce reveals himself
they have different dialogue referencing the event. Just brilliant.

VanWinkle

The mission wheel in this game is so amazing. I want it in every open world game like this. So much easier to keep tabs on the side missions. Now it just feels clunky to look through the map and select waypoints and stuff.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

I thought I was the only one. Why does Batman throw a Batclaw offscreen where no one is? Why does holding down L2 and the corresponding Weapon Combo button not work to chain combat combos? Why doesn't Batman REC the zap man in front of me instead of the buffon a few feet away?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The mission wheel in this game is so amazing. I want it in every open world game like this. So much easier to keep tabs on the side missions. Now it just feels clunky to look through the map and select waypoints and stuff.

Don't see scrubbing the map alternative as that bothersome, though having the "distance to" and "% complete" on the wheel is the real innovation. I find myself just picking whatever activity is closest anyway, and the wheel highlights that stuff nicely, but really it isn't that different from just glancing at whatever is nearby by icon on the map either.

Brandon F

Is it just me, or do fear takedowns sometimes flub out after initiatied? I'll push the button, slam down on the first enemy and then the whole thing stops as Batman is just standing their over the first body while the next guy immediately opens fire 1 foot away.

Just a bit flaky and I can't really nail down a reason why sometimes it works as intended and when it suddenly quits out. I don't think I am pushing anything to cancel out of it?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That's not what I meant. Not quality as in consistent and perfect on a technical level or game design, but in the overall presentation and direction.

I can't agree with you there, because I view things like combat as part of the presentation and I think RS took a stepback in that regard.

I wrote this the other day and I stand by it 100 fucking percent.

I seriously have to ask if Rocksteady farmed out the combat to Montreal studio, because its just simply not as good this time around.

The combat is mostly fine, but it has some very (and I do mean very) frustrating things present that were not present in AA or AC, but were present in Arkham Origins and they are really starting to annoy me.

None of it is reaching MAJOR levels of frustration, but it just upsets me that after having such a perfect system in Arkham City that it would take a step back.

Here are some things I have noticed and I know a few others have noticed.

1. The camera. It seems to have a mind of its own and often gets far too close to Batman. Nothing is more frustrating than getting hit by an enemy you couldn't see in time to counter. This was a BIG problem in story mode of Arkham Origins (not so much in the combat challenges though). Yes, I am VERY much aware that you can adjust the camera during fights but because it was erratic at times I was often forced to do instant takedowns so I could adjust the camera during the i-frames.

2. Frequent inexplicable whiffing. This was another annoying issue that happened quite a bit. In that Batman would inexplicably break out of a combo despite having an enemy targeted to attack. I would go for a strike or a stun on an enemy, but occasionally Batman wouldn't strike the enemy, but would just attack the air and ruin the flow of a good combo.

3. Enemy strike targeting was off. What I am referring to that when you are in freeflow you have to point your control stick in the direction you want to strike and it will target that enemy (sometimes from very far away). Often though you have a group of enemies and you are at the mercy of whatever enemy the game decides to target. Unfortunately, Batman had a bad habit of targeting a brute and/or electrocuted enemy which would break the combo, despite the fact that the enemy you intended to target would have been vulnerable to a strike. This was VERY big issue during the Batman/Catwoman fights, where each person can only attack enemies of one color. I mean seriously, why the fuck did Batman target the ONE red enemy when there were 3 blue enemies in one area.

4. This is more of a personal thing, but IMO there is simply too much in those encounters. Between, the brutes, shielded brutes, electrocuted enemies, medics, and ninjas. It was a tad too much at times. The most common killer of combos was the charging thug. Yes, it was easy to avoid and really truly not a big, deal but the camera autotargeting onto them frequently confused me and I couldn't react quick enough. I have ADD and it certainly hurts those parts.

5. Again, I know I will probably be in the minority here, but I felt the enemies werent visually distinct enough and blended with the environment a tad too easily making it difficult to see who you were attacking.

6. The biggest thing was the removal of the batswarm. I don't need to say how helpful that was whenever you needed to readjust yourself and catch a breather. They replaced it with the useless weapon grab and attack.

With all that in mind, these weren't gamebreaking and I was still able to get through most encounters without too much difficulty, but did dampen my enthusiasm for enemy encounters.

However, one thing I didn't figure out until way later is that the game expects you to utilize far more of your gadgets. I didn't upgrade those until the story was almost over.
In AC, the gadgets had awesome powers once in freeflow focus mode (activated after 12X), but breaking freeflow focus mode was rarely worth it.

However in this game, you can use them after 5X, which made them far far far more useful. I suspect that was Rocksteadys justification for removing Batswarm and maybe in time I will appreciate them more.

However, I do feel that adjusting the camera so that it doesn't move so close to Batman would alleviate most (if not all of my frustration).

To add to this, these frustrations also carry over into the predator sections. For example, one of the AR challenges requires you to do a 4X takedown. So I finally get four enemies close enough together, but but but but the game doesnt give me the icon to initiate the fear takedown, only the silent takedown. Nothing was blocking the way or anything. All of them were perfectly lined up on the hallway. I had a full Fear meter. But since the icon didn't appear I couldnt proceed and was forced to watch them go in separate directions. This happened quite a few times for no reason. I even have a screenshot saving this.

Also, in that same challenge which requires you to take down the drone controller last, I managed to do just that and the game didn't give me credit for it.

I'm sorry, but there is nothing more frustrating than having an awesome predator run completely ruined because the game gets glitchy on me.

I went back to AA, AC, and even AO (combat and predator challenges, not the actual game) to see if this was my imagination and maybe I wasn't remembering and no, the combat and predator sections behaved exactly like they were supposed to and I certainly wasn't having to fight the issues I mentioned in this game.

For me, the appeal of the Arkham games is the combat and predator scenarios. I played AA, AC and AO for years after they released, because few things provided me with a satisfying adrenaline rush like the Batman combat challenges. It was sooo much fun building up crazy combos and taking on tons of thugs and being in complete control of the Batman.

In this game those took a noticable step backwards and I feel like I am having to battle the games mechanics. In Arkham Origins this was also a problem, too.

The game is still an 8/10, but those moments although they don't happen all the time. It just sucks having your favorite thing about a game become less exciting and often frustrating. It feels like they put ALL their effort into the batmobile and ignored the combat.

In the actual game, none of these are gamebreaking, but in the combat and predator challenges they absolutely are.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is it just me, or do fear takedowns sometimes flub out after initiatied? I'll push the button, slam down on the first enemy and then the whole thing stops as Batman is just standing their over the first body while the next guy immediately opens fire 1 foot away.

Just a bit flaky and I can't really nail down a reason why sometimes it works as intended and when it suddenly quits out. I don't think I am pushing anything to cancel out of it?

Thats just another one of the issues in this game.

About to finish New Game + and have not had this happen to me once. Weird.

Brandon F

About to finish New Game + and have not had this happen to me once. Weird.

Granted it has only happened to me so far in AR challenge rooms. (Specifically one that REQUIRES two distinct fear takedowns for a star) so it is extra irritating when it flakes out after setting it up.

I am still pretty early in the core game and it hasn't failed me yet during campaign progression, but again early in. Just spent time on the AR challenge last night and it had a 50/50 success and fail rate. Definitely felt like a glitch there(playing PS4).

Sober

I seriously have to ask if Rocksteady farmed out the combat to Montreal studio, because its just simply not as good this time around.

The combat is mostly fine, but it has some very (and I do mean very) frustrating things present that were not present in AA or AC, but were present in Arkham Origins and they are really starting to annoy me.

None of it is reaching MAJOR levels of frustration, but it just upsets me that after having such a perfect system in Arkham City that it would take a step back.

Here are some things I have noticed and I know a few others have noticed.

1. The camera. It seems to have a mind of its own and often gets far too close to Batman. Nothing is more frustrating than getting hit by an enemy you couldn't see in time to counter. This was a BIG problem in story mode of Arkham Origins (not so much in the combat challenges though). Yes, I am VERY much aware that you can adjust the camera during fights but because it was erratic at times I was often forced to do instant takedowns so I could adjust the camera during the i-frames.

2. Frequent inexplicable whiffing. This was another annoying issue that happened quite a bit. In that Batman would inexplicably break out of a combo despite having an enemy targeted to attack. I would go for a strike or a stun on an enemy, but occasionally Batman wouldn't strike the enemy, but would just attack the air and ruin the flow of a good combo.

3. Enemy strike targeting was off. What I am referring to that when you are in freeflow you have to point your control stick in the direction you want to strike and it will target that enemy (sometimes from very far away). Often though you have a group of enemies and you are at the mercy of whatever enemy the game decides to target. Unfortunately, Batman had a bad habit of targeting a brute and/or electrocuted enemy which would break the combo, despite the fact that the enemy you intended to target would have been vulnerable to a strike. This was VERY big issue during the Batman/Catwoman fights, where each person can only attack enemies of one color. I mean seriously, why the fuck did Batman target the ONE red enemy when there were 3 blue enemies in one area.

4. This is more of a personal thing, but IMO there is simply too much in those encounters. Between, the brutes, shielded brutes, electrocuted enemies, medics, and ninjas. It was a tad too much at times. The most common killer of combos was the charging thug. Yes, it was easy to avoid and really truly not a big, deal but the camera autotargeting onto them frequently confused me and I couldn't react quick enough. I have ADD and it certainly hurts those parts.

5. Again, I know I will probably be in the minority here, but I felt the enemies werent visually distinct enough and blended with the environment a tad too easily making it difficult to see who you were attacking.

6. The biggest thing was the removal of the batswarm. I don't need to say how helpful that was whenever you needed to readjust yourself and catch a breather. They replaced it with the useless weapon grab and attack.

With all that in mind, these weren't gamebreaking and I was still able to get through most encounters without too much difficulty, but did dampen my enthusiasm for enemy encounters.

However, one thing I didn't figure out until way later is that the game expects you to utilize far more of your gadgets. I didn't upgrade those until the story was almost over.
In AC, the gadgets had awesome powers once in freeflow focus mode (activated after 12X), but breaking freeflow focus mode was rarely worth it.

However in this game, you can use them after 5X, which made them far far far more useful. I suspect that was Rocksteadys justification for removing Batswarm and maybe in time I will appreciate them more.

However, I do feel that adjusting the camera so that it doesn't move so close to Batman would alleviate most (if not all of my frustration).

To add to this, these frustrations also carry over into the predator sections. For example, one of the AR challenges requires you to do a 4X takedown. So I finally get four enemies close enough together, but but but but the game doesnt give me the icon to initiate the fear takedown, only the silent takedown. Nothing was blocking the way or anything. All of them were perfectly lined up on the hallway. I had a full Fear meter. But since the icon didn't appear I couldnt proceed and was forced to watch them go in separate directions. This happened quite a few times for no reason. I even have a screenshot saving this.

Also, in that same challenge which requires you to take down the drone controller last, I managed to do just that and the game didn't give me credit for it.

I'm sorry, but there is nothing more frustrating than having an awesome predator run completely ruined because the game gets glitchy on me.

I went back to AA, AC, and even AO (combat and predator challenges, not the actual game) to see if this was my imagination and maybe I wasn't remembering and no, the combat and predator sections behaved exactly like they were supposed to and I certainly wasn't having to fight the issues I mentioned in this game.

For me, the appeal of the Arkham games is the combat and predator scenarios. I played AA, AC and AO for years after they released, because few things provided me with a satisfying adrenaline rush like the Batman combat challenges. It was sooo much fun building up crazy combos and taking on tons of thugs and being in complete control of the Batman.

In this game those took a noticable step backwards and I feel like I am having to battle the games mechanics. In Arkham Origins this was also a problem, too.

The game is still an 8/10, but those moments although they don't happen all the time. It just sucks having your favorite thing about a game become less exciting and often frustrating. It feels like they put ALL their effort into the batmobile and ignored the combat.
I'd have to actually see proper challenge maps. The issue with combat camera usually happens because a lot of fights in the story take place either indoors or in enclosed spaces (road blockades, etc.) and the tuning is all wrong. Even some of the "purer" AR combat challenges stick you in a really, really small area. Compare that vs. pretty much all the AC combat rooms; the smallest being the courthouse arena, and that's still bigger than most of the room you get unless you just drop down on a group of rioters on the street and get started.

Also in proper combat challenge maps you get a lot more unarmed thugs as filler unlike in story mode. I posted this earlier but there was a combat challenge in a roadblock and it was 16 dudes and only 2 were unarmed. Unless it was a gimmick wave you'd never get something like that in a challenge map.

Also I think the exploding batarang combo attack is supposed to be a weak replacement for the batswarm. If you have any charged gadget attacks, those might also work (too bad gel was nerfed pretty much into oblivion).

I do agree on your points about that predator map (Under the Pale Moonlight). Also the game registers a fear multi-takedown (2+ in one hit) as +1 to the fear takedown, which is hilarious and frustrating at the same time cause you need to KO one more person than usual for the 4x bonus. And the drone operator KO is bugged which is annoying. Otherwise the AI straight up adapting to your predator moves is the biggest improvement yet.

Alienous

The Bat-Tank is the one element where I think their loyalty to making you feel like Batman wanes.

I feel like every other element came from a place of "What does Batman do?" -> "How do we make that gameplay?" where the Bat-Tank came from "How do we do this in gameplay (a shooter element)?" -> "Well, I guess Batman could do this".

And it's not an isolated thing. It creeps into other elements of the game like the pacing and boss battles.

I know I harp on about it but for me its like an imperfection in a diamond with staggering clarity. On coming from Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, games that I think near a kind of internal perfection, it sticks out to me. I agree with you on Rocksteady's ability to put you in Batman's shoes in every other regard (being a detective, using fear in combat, feeling fast and powerful racing through Gotham's streets etc.)

But I'm interested in your take once you've finished the game (unless you have).

jediyoshi

Post the screenshot. Did you recognize that you were close enough for it to have properly initiated it?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'd have to actually see proper challenge maps. The issue with combat camera usually happens because a lot of fights in the story take place either indoors or in enclosed spaces (road blockades, etc.) and the tuning is all wrong. Even some of the "purer" AR combat challenges stick you in a really, really small area. Compare that vs. pretty much all the AC combat rooms; the smallest being the courthouse arena, and that's still bigger than most of the room you get unless you just drop down on a group of rioters on the street and get started.

Also in proper combat challenge maps you get a lot more unarmed thugs as filler unlike in story mode. I posted this earlier but there was a combat challenge in a roadblock and it was 16 dudes and only 2 were unarmed. Unless it was a gimmick wave you'd never get something like that in a challenge map.

Also I think the exploding batarang combo attack is supposed to be a weak replacement for the batswarm. If you have any charged gadget attacks, those might also work (too bad gel was nerfed pretty much into oblivion).

I do agree on your points about that predator map (Under the Pale Moonlight). Also the game registers a fear multi-takedown (2+ in one hit) as +1 to the fear takedown, which is hilarious and frustrating at the same time cause you need to KO one more person than usual for the 4x bonus. And the drone operator KO is bugged which is annoying. Otherwise the AI straight up adapting to your predator moves is the biggest improvement yet.

Yeah, maybe my opinion will change if we were to get some proper challenge maps.

In Arkham Origins I always found it interesting how wonky and terrible the combat felt in the actual story, but in the combat challenges everything felt about right.

Yes, the tight area made it harder to manage.

Chanser

Solomon Grundy
riddler secret is kind of creepy.

Last night my PS4 froze while the game was running, had to disconnect from the mains. Though it was hot last night, forgot to add I fell through the map after reloading save.

GavinUK86

Ok so I just finished the main questline where you
give Scarecrow to the GCPD
and I'm on the rooftop and it's telling me I need to
capture 3 more of Gotham's Most Wanted to initiate the Knightfall Protocol

I've done everything but the militia missions so does this mean
the game is forcing me to complete the worst part of Ubisoft games just to get one ending
? I find that a bit silly.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I have a hard time adapting to some of the Batmobile controls, I'm always pressing L2 to slide instead of square. I did this one Riddler puzzle sequence with the Batmobile and it's almost comical how you're platforming/puzzling with this huge tank over narrow ledges and seesaws. Getting 3* on the race tracks was tougher than I thought as well.

All the side stuff is a bit checklist-y, in the same vein of AC. The main story though has been an improvement over City so far. I'm at the part with the airships.

GavinUK86

I have a hard time adapting to some of the Batmobile controls, I'm always pressing L2 to slide instead of square. I did this one Riddler puzzle sequence with the Batmobile and it's almost comical how you're platforming/puzzling with this huge tank over narrow ledges and seesaws. Getting 3* on the race tracks was tougher than I thought as well.

All the side stuff is a bit checklist-y, in the same vein of AC. The main story though has been an improvement over City so far. I'm at the part with the airships.

You can change the tank controls in the options.

Change the controls. I had the same problem, but you can toggle the tank mode so you can use L2 for slide instead of square.

Tsukumo

Happened to me twice yesterday, not even once before. It must be the new patch fucking things up.

By the way, I tried to play this on Remote Play on te Vita, and it's a bummer that it doesn't switch L2+R2 to the shoulder buttons on Vita. Gets hard to play like that.

Naar

guys please help !:(

I checked a guide and i do indeed need an upgrade to my disruptor to get one of the riddler trophies

I need about 5000 exp and i already beat everything except roughly 30 trophies left.

I dont think that those 30 trophies will get me 5000 exp needed to lvl up my disruptor and get the riddler trophy

Do i just start new game+? would i have to redo all riddler stuff again?

Anung

Un Rama

I agree to a point. It just feels like so much work was put into certain aspects that they didn't have time for the other important stuff.

For me its like I love 90% of the game and that 90% is the most spectacular stuff ever. But for some reason I just can't ignore how lacking in quality/bad the other 10% is. So it sours more of the experience than it should.

Prine

Banned

Spot on. Every detail feels as if its been reviewed, discussed at great length, prototyped and discussed again before it makes it into the game. You can see that over and over.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have to admit that after my minor, but at the same time significant, changes to the combat and challenges. I have to admit that more than ever I hope that we get a definitive edition of the other Arkham games.

Although I have to admit that after the shoddy porting being done on various games (Mortal Kombat PC, Arkham Knight PC, lack of Qc for Arkham Origins) I can't say I'd trust WB to do a good job.

As I said, I enjoyed the final 20 minutes or so.

The rest, not so much.

Sadly I agree with duke bobby
. Last 1/3 was lackluster compared to what came before. I kept waiting for one last great predator section but they chose to do giant tank battle instead... I may be in minority but I would rather have a great gameplay ending rather than cinematic stuff for like an hour...

Granted it has only happened to me so far in AR challenge rooms. (Specifically one that REQUIRES two distinct fear takedowns for a star) so it is extra irritating when it flakes out after setting it up.

I am still pretty early in the core game and it hasn't failed me yet during campaign progression, but again early in. Just spent time on the AR challenge last night and it had a 50/50 success and fail rate. Definitely felt like a glitch there(playing PS4).

Ive had it happen once or twice in my playthrough...its just a bug though and not an indication of a bad mechanic. Hopefully it will be patched.

Ferrio

Banned
So someone at my work some reason put a xerox'ed copy of the batman symbol on the door into the stairwell which I thought was odd. But then there were more in the actual stairwell and they led down into the basement printshop, and I couldn't figure out why. Man I've been playing too much of this game, I'm thinking it's like quest markers.

Wanderer5

Still won't be able to play this for a while, but I wondering, can you play as any other characters in free roam, oh you just play them in side missions or whatever? Heck what is up with the challenge maps? I asking this cause I heard that apparently you only play as Nightwing for some brief moments in a side mission. Hope that wrong and there more with him cause beside Batman, I like Nightwing a lot.

Guess since the batmobile is apparently a bit forced, it would make sense if it only Batman that you can free roam about.

GavinUK86

Still won't be able to play this for a while, but I wondering, can you play as any other characters in free roam, oh you just play them in side missions or whatever? Heck what is up with the challenge maps? I asking this cause I heard that apparently you only play as Nightwing for some brief moments in a side mission. Hope that wrong and there more with him cause beside Batman, I like Nightwing a lot.

Guess since the batmobile is apparently a bit forced, it would make sense if it only Batman that you can free roam about.

You can only play as Batman in free roam. Side missions include double teaming in combat scenarios with some characters. That's it.

Mr Rivuz

Can't find the last Riddler informants, it's so frustrating and boring...
Was thinking about buying the season pass, but seeing that i can't get 100% without boring myself to death i think i'll just quit the game here. Was a lot of fun until now and the Riddler is the only thing i miss for the 100%, too bad.

Scarecrow missions are really underwhelming. I know it's just a small add-on but I was hoping for something more akin to what we got in Asylum than a race and brain dead 'boss' fight.

They are visually impressive though.

Top Bottom