• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

This game needs better win some "best animation" awards, because it's insane how good the character animation is. There's WAY less "sliding" than there was in previous games.

It's ridiculous. The string of moves those last 3 gifs came from (which continues for another 30 seconds) left my jaw on the floor. The way everything flows together is just crazy.

I just wish they'd make some decent combat challenges.

Season pass better have some Joker's Carnival level stuff in it.

The more special takedowns I unlock the more frustrated I am with the lack of combat challenges. Especially with those tag execution moves. The AR stuff is not a suitable replacement.

ryan299

Honestly if I didn't know Rocksteady made this game, I would assume it was a Ubisoft game. I thought it was terrible. Really let down.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's ridiculous. The string of moves those last 3 gifs came from (which continues for another 30 seconds) left my jaw on the floor. The way everything flows together is just crazy.

The more special takedowns I unlock the more frustrated I am with the lack of combat challenges. Especially with those tag execution moves. The AR stuff is not a suitable replacement.

Don't worry tho, there's like 15 batmobile challenges. I don't think the combat ones even have environmental takedowns in them.

rocksteady pls

SJRB

Gold Member
Can I start a New Game + and still keep my regular game save?

In the main menu there is

- Continue Story
- New Game +

Does NG+ overwrite the normal playthrough?

Papercuts

Can I start a New Game + and still keep my regular game save?

In the main menu there is

- Continue Story
- New Game +

Does NG+ overwrite the normal playthrough?

You can do NG+ whenever, it'll occupy that separate spot on the menu which lets you jump inbetween either one.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Brehs, the fear takedowns are amazing (and OP). So Batman

AK4a6d61.gif

And the fights are so badass. I wish Rocksteady would make an 80s martial arts action game next and just go wild with the brawls and contextual stuff.

AK3f0958.gif

AK57a34f.gif

AK2ba64f.gif

I wish the environmental takedowns were more prevalent. They're amazing but I only did them two or three times in the whole game.

BTW Net, you're doing God's work with these gifs. I've loved every one you've made.

Fjordson

Whew, I'm kinda addicted to this now. I wasn't feeling it at first but once all the side mission stuff opens up and you're going to all three islands it's a blast.

Probably not gonna do all Riddler stuff, though, because fuck that. I'm only on like the second car challenge and it's awful. The tank sections have become somewhat bearable, but the Riddler stuff just isn't fun.

Played a few hours of this and so it's absolutely fantastic.

Notable aspects I love so far - (First few hours spoilers)

- Joker popping up and acting pretty scummy. I was pretty sick of Joker by Origins (though Origins was his best appearance imo), but so far it's being changed up quite well.

- The voice acting from Gordon and the rest of the cast, other than Kevin Conroy is tremendous. Sorry Kevin but you're just as bland as ever in the games.

- Visually stunning. One of the best looking games period. A level of detail that really screams 'This is next gen'.

- The gameplay, driving the Batmobile and the various combat scenarios are the best in the series already. A nice amount of variation in the level design makes everything feel way more organic than before. Oh and the checking of the four cameras to investigate how Barbara Gordon was taken is small but very cool and well done.

- This kinda plays into the second and third point, but Gordons performance when he is told that Barbara has been working for him all this time was amazing. Really heart wrenching stuff. Absolute kudos to Rocksteady/voice actor etc for making the relationship between the three of em quite potent.
That's Jonathan Banks as Gordon (Mike from Breaking Bad). He's great.

ryan299

That's Jonathan Banks as Gordon (Mike from Breaking Bad). He's great.

I thought he was miscast. He was the one performance I didn't like. Just didn't feel his was right as Gordon.

Also can someone tell me what the orange batheads are for when you do better than 3 stars on a challenge?

Getting close to the end, I think.
Scarecrow just released the cloudburst into the city.
I'm super excited to see where this is all going; this is by far my favorite Arkham game story wise.

I also stumbled across a game breaking bug today that made me have to replay about 4 hours of side quests and trophy collecting. I tried to start the mission where
you go investigate the seismic activity in Maigani Island
and the game would not let me start it. It just kept telling me to secure the area but there were no enemies. Apparently it was due to me going back to
Stagg Airship
to trophy hunt. I got
Stagg's voice
before I was supposed to, and it messed my game up.

Just wanted to warn you guys; it was rather annoying to have to clear all the islands again and collect the trophies I lost :/

Sojgat

Honestly if I didn't know Rocksteady made this game, I would assume it was a Ubisoft game. I thought it was terrible. Really let down.

Even though I like the game, I have to admit you're not wrong about the Ubisoft comparison.

Origins got called out for having towers, but Knight manages to have an even more repetitive open world mission structure.

Makes me long for an Ass Creed game with combat this good.

jediyoshi

Would you say it's a symptom of the core gameplay or purely the mission design? If you're conflating something like the asscreed combat to an arkham game's, I'm going to die a little inside.

Probably hard to answer while being vague but is the secret ending worth going for? Have most of the side quests done but I have very little desire to tediously scour the city for stupid riddler trophies. Is the 100% ending going to be an extra 10 seconds or is it something actually playable? Haven't actually finished the game yet.

And while there are a ton of typical open world trappings in the checkpoints and towers they've still been fun to tackle for me as they act like miniature combat scenarios as compared to the pure collectible hunts in Assassin's Creed.

I'm about 80% of the way through the game, and although I like the story and setting (fucking Batman!) I think this is my least favorite of the Arkham games.

Cindro

Okay... I just beat the game and should have gotten TWO of the
three endings
, but I have no clue what the second one is supposed to be.

ENDGAME SPOILERS, OBVIOUSLY:

I finished the game with 8/11 Most Wanted missions completed (I had read that it only took 7/11 to get the second ending), but the game "ended" with me apprehending Scarecrow and mentioning the Knightfall protocol. What is the second ending? Does the fact that Batman just MENTIONS the Knightfall protocol count as the "second" ending? And do the credits only appear after 100% completion?

erawsd

Even though I like the game, I have to admit you're not wrong about the Ubisoft comparison.

Origins got called out for having towers, but Knight manages to have an even more repetitive open world mission structure.

Makes me long for an Ass Creed game with combat this good.

Its nothing like an Ubisoft style world. These aren't just layers of collectibles that populate the world for seemingly no reason. The base action is repetitious but the design of the encounters and puzzles are all unique and there is a proper progression and narrative reasons for all of this stuff to exist in the world.

Probably hard to answer while being vague but is the secret ending worth going for? Have most of the side quests done but I have very little desire to tediously scour the city for stupid riddler trophies. Is the 100% ending going to be an extra 10 seconds or is it something actually playable? Haven't actually finished the game yet.

I think the riddles are worth tracking down for their own sake. Most of the puzzles you have to solve are genuinely clever and fun to work out. The watchtowers and militia checkpoints are also pretty varied between big fights, stealth sections and interesting little setups with drones and sentry guns. But if you don't enjoy them then definitely don't force yourself through them just to see the true ending; it's just a cutscene you can watch on Youtube.

Papercuts

Okay... I just beat the game and should have gotten TWO of the
three endings
, but I have no clue what the second one is supposed to be.

ENDGAME SPOILERS, OBVIOUSLY:

I finished the game with 8/11 Most Wanted missions completed (I had read that it only took 7/11 to get the second ending), but the game "ended" with me apprehending Scarecrow and mentioning the Knightfall protocol. What is the second ending? Does the fact that Batman just MENTIONS the Knightfall protocol count as the "second" ending? And do the credits only appear after 100% completion?

There is only actually that one ending. The stuff people talk about is the Knightfall Protocol, which has 2 stages. Basically it'll just cut out early until you get 100%, but you need a certain amount to even see it.

Can I get and use skins during my play through? Or is it only new game+ shit.

This time around WB/RockSteady has allowed you to use skins right from the start. None on that beat the game first to use a purely cosmetic skin this time around.
You can switch in-game though, you have to quit back to the main menu to swap skins.

viveks86

Yeah that combat scene blew my mind too. I thought I was far outnumbered, but with all the environmental takedowns, it actually ended in no time, and it felt soooo good!

malfcn

I feel like sometimes the missions are just thrown at you, or directed weird.

Destroy the Arkham Knight's defense grid on Founder's Island to allow the Batwing to scan for the Cloudburst
Head to Panessa Studios to analyze the Arkham Knight's forces

But Alfred just says there is interference, and that it will take time for him to scan.
Bat's asks for it to be sent to the Studio when he is done.

Alfred then says to check out some open cases.
Instead, Bats just knows where to go to destroy the interference so that he can *then* let Alfred scan for the device and *then* send it to the Studio for Bats.

Either I'm tired and cranky, or nitpicky.

Actually, it looks like I slept through this part of my game play.

Fliesen

I was so psyched about the time we had to use our "detective skills" (rewinding / forwarding time, analyzing the trajectory of certain objects) at that
Arkham Knight's crashed car
site.

Turns out that was the only time we get to do this. Dramatically underused mechanic.

Cindro

There is only actually that one ending. The stuff people talk about is the Knightfall Protocol, which has 2 stages. Basically it'll just cut out early until you get 100%, but you need a certain amount to even see it.
Maaaan, that's
a pretty damn weak ending. Apprehending Scarecrow felt just as climactic as completing a random side quest (though the lead up to it was ace [chemicals]).

The 100% ending better be awesome and satisfying.

Cindro

I was so psyched about the time we had to use our "detective skills" (rewinding / forwarding time, analyzing the trajectory of certain objects) at that
Arkham Knight's crashed car
site.

Turns out that was the only time we get to do this. Dramatically underused mechanic.
Boy oh boy, have I got a game for you!

Fliesen

Boy oh boy, have I got a game for you!

that was pretty much the only redeeming quality of Arkham Origins.

That one time we got to use this feature in Arkham Knight was of such high quality, though. It really should have been used more often.

Maaaan, that's
a pretty damn weak ending. Apprehending Scarecrow felt just as climactic as completing a random side quest (though the lead up to it was ace [chemicals]).

The 100% ending better be awesome and satisfying.

the 12/14 and 14/14 ending are one and the same ending (chronologically), the 14 adds additional dialogue and an additional scene.
If you complete 12/14 and then go back to your game, the game won't treat 12/14 as having happened yet.

Essentially, 12/14 is just meant as a motivator to go for 14/14, because it's a big non-ending.

... i did some trophy cleanup yesterday - i hate games that have a 'finish the game on NG+' trophy.

Sober

that was pretty much the only redeeming quality of Arkham Origins.

That one time we got to use this feature in Arkham Knight was of such high quality, though. It really should have been used more often.
It's pretty much copy/paste from Origins. You can't get ahead of yourself and find certain clues out of order the entire thing is scripted.

Actually, the video scrubbing stuff actually came close to having to figure shit out on your own without much guidance, and there were at least 2 or 3 on the critical path too, surprisingly. Nothing else across all of the games even comes close. Everything else gets Batman'ed or Batcomputer'ed to make sense anyway and there's not much work in the player actually putting anything together or any actual critical thinking involved otherwise. Not that most of the stuff you're "deducing" could actually be deduced by yourself because that would require actual design and divorcing comic book logic out of it.

Even the body scanning stuff is just busywork because there's always 1 clue per layer.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, is the point of no return very clearly marked? I know at least one riddle is unsolvable until
Robin is taken from the infirmary at Panessa
so I want to wait until that happens before going out to get all of the trophies.

zkorejo

Brehs, the fear takedowns are amazing (and OP). So Batman

And the fights are so badass. I wish Rocksteady would make an 80s martial arts action game next and just go wild with the brawls and contextual stuff.

I also like how the tiles on the wall break when you smash someone into it.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
So now that I finished the game I'm cleaning up Riddler stuff. What is that circle with the sound lines emanating off it mean? It's a riddler symbol that is batmobile size and usually accessible by car, but I can't tell how to activate it.

Fliesen

It's pretty much copy/paste from Origins. You can't get ahead of yourself and find certain clues out of order the entire thing is scripted.

Actually, the video scrubbing stuff actually came close to having to figure shit out on your own without much guidance, and there were at least 2 or 3 on the critical path too, surprisingly. Nothing else across all of the games even comes close. Everything else gets Batman'ed or Batcomputer'ed to make sense anyway and there's not much work in the player actually putting anything together or any actual critical thinking involved otherwise. Not that most of the stuff you're "deducing" could actually be deduced by yourself because that would require actual design and divorcing comic book logic out of it.

Even the body scanning stuff is just busywork because there's always 1 clue per layer.

yup. very much. Apart from the car crash site, Arkham Knight has some of the laziest detective work. Even the Crime Scene analysis in Asylum and City were more interesting.

So now that I finished the game I'm cleaning up Riddler stuff. What is that circle with the sound lines emanating off it mean? It's a riddler symbol that is batmobile size and usually accessible by car, but I can't tell how to activate it.

Go into tank mode and use the sonar (press up on the D-pad). It'll activate a trail of hidden question marks that you'll have to follow to a final mark on a wall, which you can shoot and fly into for a trophy. These are extremely finicky, and made harder by the fact that the Batmobile's sonar only works in a thin 'beam' in line with the cannon. You have to go very slowly and do a lot of manoeuvring to keep uncovering the next question marks, and they'll often lead you to what seems like a dead end, at which point you have a limited time to find another route around said dead end and go back to sonar-ing before the trail wears off.

For example, there's one in the lower level of Founder's Island that leads directly to a hole in the ceiling and doesn't go any further. You have to quickly haul ass to the nearest ramp up to the upper level and find that spot again, then go back into tank mode and restart your sonar to pick up the trail again. They're kind of a pain.

The only question now is how Rocksteady's going to get them into tanks.

Unit24

I can't seem to find a good time to stop the story and do side missions. Every story mission flows into each other in a way that makes me not want to stop.

On that note, how do you find more side missions? The last thing that happened in the story was
Gordon getting mad at Batman about Barbara
and I still only have the first batch that was given to me, with none of them having updated (except Riddler's of course).

I can't seem to find a good time to stop the story and do side missions. Every story mission flows into each other in a way that makes me not want to stop.

On that note, how do you find more side missions? The last thing that happened in the story was
Gordon getting mad at Batman about Barbara
and I still only have the first batch that was given to me, with none of them having updated (except Riddler's of course).

You can find them in the world. Additionally, a few of them will update automatically after some time.

Top Bottom