• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

erawsd

Still won't be able to play this for a while, but I wondering, can you play as any other characters in free roam, oh you just play them in side missions or whatever? Heck what is up with the challenge maps? I asking this cause I heard that apparently you only play as Nightwing for some brief moments in a side mission. Hope that wrong and there more with him cause beside Batman, I like Nightwing a lot.

Guess since the batmobile is apparently a bit forced, it would make sense if it only Batman that you can free roam about.

No free roam, you can only use them during some dual play moments.

So someone at my work some reason put a xerox'ed copy of the batman symbol on the door into the stairwell which I thought was odd. But then there were more in the actual stairwell and they led down into the basement printshop, and I couldn't figure out why. Man I've been playing too much of this game, I'm thinking it's like quest markers.

No, your thinking is on point. Pretty sure that's The Riddler. Don't go down there.

So no challenge maps? What the hell.

There is one challenge map with Nightwing dual play. Yeah...I would not be surprised if they intentionally held stuff back to be later released with the season pass. There is no reason the areas where you also dual play with catwoman and robin aren't included.

There is one challenge map with Nightwing dual play. Yeah...I would not be surprised if they intentionally held stuff back to be later released with the season pass. There is no reason the areas where you also dual play with catwoman and robin aren't included.

Yep, you know this is coming in the pipe. They didnt create new characters with new movesets just for them to be used once in the story and never again.

Wanderer5

No free roam, you can only use them during some dual play moments.

So your barely play Nightwing in this game it sounds like.<.< *sigh* Well maybe some DLC hopefully I guess much like City.

Ah okay.

erawsd

So your barely play Nightwing in this game it sounds like.<.< *sigh* Well maybe some DLC hopefully I guess much like City..

Yeah theres only
Three 2 minute long segments where you can play him

So no challenge maps? What the hell.

There are "AR challenges" which comprise of 4 predator, 4 combat, and 15 Batmobile challenges. You dont get to select a character. The combat ones are particularly awful and nothing like the old CM since they are all gimmick based and set in really tiny arenas.

GeeTeeCee

Okay, it's taken until a sidequest at the end of the game, but I've finally found a Batmobile section I can't stand. Fuck this
Deathstroke
battle.

Edit: Completed it on the third attempt. Not fun.

Wanderer5

Yeah theres only
Three 2 minute long segments where you can play him

There are "AR challenges" which comprise of 4 predator, 4 combat, and 15 Batmobile challenges. You dont get to select a character. The combat ones are particularly awful and nothing like the old CM since they are all gimmick based and set in really tiny arenas.

Love the amount of batmobile challenges compare to the rest heh. Well how disappointing, but well guess the DLC.

I now have the urge to go check out City again, least for the challenges lol.

slop101

Banned
Ugh. The Batmobile/Tank can eat a bag of dicks!

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the game. Although, I'm kinda not liking how restrictive it is - unlike most open world games, they don't let you meet objectives in various way; just one way, their way. I'm used to a bit more freedom in my open world games.

Not always, playing GTA V on remote play, or Ground Zeroes, isn't that harder. Wish Remote Play would have full button re-map.

But still its nowhere near the control and precision you have with the controller. If I'm going to do remote play, its going to be on the PSTV or on my phone with the DS4 bluetoothed in. You already have to deal with slight input lag. I don't want to handicap myself more just for convenience. But that's just my personal preference.

erawsd

So i'm a little halfway through the game (probably more), is it okay if I do the Harley stuff now?

Technically, I think the Harley stuff is best done before starting the main game since it sets up a plot point that happens at the very beginning of the game.

Yep, you know this is coming in the pipe. They didnt create new characters with new movesets just for them to be used once in the story and never again.

Well, those characters dont actually have any new moves aside from the dual play stuff. They are all recycled from Arkham City. Even the "new" characters aren't really new, Red Hood and Harley are just Nightwing and Catwoman with unique takedowns.
Azrael is just Batman, they didnt even bother to give him anything unique.

You are right that there's going to be a ton of DLC with them though.

Anyone have any costumes they are hoping to get released later?

For me...

Year One.

ACB0322.jpg

Jim Lee (Blue and grey)

121216115711252214.jpg

Burton Batman

Batman_(Michael_Keaton)_2.jpg

Zero Year

Batman_Vol_2_33.jpg

So, I've beaten the game on hard at 100% and I'd love to re-experience the stories at 100% again but without to gather the whole trophies and in normal dificulty because as I said, I just want to re-experience the story without a bigger challenge.

Is not possible, isn't it?

Tecnniqe

Banned
So, I've beaten the game on hard at 100% and I'd love to re-experience the stories at 100% again but without to gather the whole trophies and in normal dificulty because as I said, I just want to re-experience the story without a bigger challenge.

Is not possible, isn't it?

Riddler stuff dont reset so everything you collected carry over.
The difficulty is "Knightmare" and cant be changed. (NewGame+)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Please tell me I am not the only one who gets The L1 and R1 buttons mixed up. Half of the fucking time when I am intending to switch to tank mode I end up pressing the eject button.

I cannot no matter how hard I try seem to overcome this..

It would be funny if I didn't accidentally eject myself during the middle of a drone battle....

Riddler stuff dont reset so everything you collected carry over.
The difficulty is "Knightmare" and cant be changed. (NewGame+)

Yes that's my problem, if I want to do all over again but on an easier dificulty I'll have to hunt all those lame trophies again... unless, I don't go for 100%...

VanWinkle

I'm so tempted to buy the season pass because of how much I loved the game, but, I don't know. It's just SO expensive. I'd probably buy it if it had been under $30, but $40 is insane.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yes that's my problem, if I want to do all over again but on an easier dificulty I'll have to hunt all those lame trophies again... unless, I don't go for 100%...

You could probably use a trainer or something and make the whole thing a cakewalk just to see the story again without much of a challenge.
Unless you start all over again.
I'm so tempted to buy the season pass because of how much I loved the game, but, I don't know. It's just SO expensive. I'd probably buy it if it had been under $30, but $40 is insane.

Only reason ive not bought it yet is because i have a slight hope they give it out for free as a "compensation" for PC users.
You never know, Ubi did it :)

The season pass will always be there. Just wait to see how some of the content they actually release is.

brau

Loving the game so far.

But i have a question... you guys think the season pass will be worth it? from previous games its always more of the same and arenas with skins... this reads 6 months of more villains and what not? is it gonna be worth the money?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

The 10% PSN pre-order discount put the Season Pass at $30(when purchased with full game), so I took the plunge. Still concerned as to how well it pans out as none of the prior WB game's post-launch content really seemed worth it, but I am hoping for the best as I do really like the game and will give the new stuff a try with that slight discount.

Can sort of imagine a limp Batgirl campaign and a bunch of junk for that added cost though. At $40 its definitely worth a wait.

Kaizer

Banned
WOW, as if the fucking
Cloudburst
battle wasn't enough, who thought this
GIANT DRILL
thing would be fun?

Alienous

Just wait.

If the story DLC seems hefty and it doesn't have the Bat-Tank I'm probably going to be in. But there's no real incentive for you to give them your money so early.

GeeTeeCee

WOW, as if the fucking
Cloudburst
GIANT DRILL
thing would be fun?

I didn't find the
Excavator
fight to be much of a problem compared to the earlier fight. It gets finished way faster too, as a bonus.

Late game sidequest spoilers:
did anyone else love the lone militia checkpoint soldier, complaining to himself that he can defend a checkpoint solo if he wants to? I almost felt bad for him.

Kaizer

Banned
I didn't find the
Excavator
fight to be much of a problem compared to the earlier fight. It gets finished way faster too, as a bonus.

did anyone else love the lone militia checkpoint soldier, complaining to himself that he can defend a checkpoint solo if he wants to? I almost felt bad for him.

I'm moreso salty because I just miss the boss fights that were present in the other games. :(

Ryne

Yup, that was pretty funny. Took him down easily enough. Blinded one spinning turrent, destroyed it, zipped along and blinded the second and destroyed it, then blinded the third and took him down. Easy, but fun.

When are they starting to release the DLC?

I really want the challenge maps they listed in the season pass. I'm itching to play as Catwoman, Robin, Nightwing, Harley in the challenge maps.

Alienous

I hope they can have all of the characters available for all of the challenge maps at some point, but they really deck Batman out to the point where I could see doing those maps as anyone other than him being a pain.

Maybe they could make something of that, though. Completing a challenge map with Batman might be easy mode versus completing it with Nightwing or Harley Quinn.

TripOpt55

I finished the main story path last night. Sitting at about 85% total completion now. Going to probably try and finish everything except maybe the Riddler trophy things. Not sure I have that in me. Anyway, I loved it, more than I expected to.

I will get the few negatives for me out of the way. The tank stuff is okay, but some sections go on a little too long. Same goes for one section that is a little too Batmobile centric towards the end of the game. That one section felt like it needed to be broken up by more typical sections. And I was disappointed with the lack of proper boss fights. They weren't always great in the past, but there were some gems and there seemed to be some real missed opportunities here with them.

Otherwise I really loved it. Flinging around the skies is still a blast, but so is tearing around in the Batmobile. And the way you could dive off a building into it or eject into the skies from it was just super cool. And I like the ways they used it for puzzles as Batman's ultimate gadget. Especially how you'd work in tandem with it remotely.

And speaking of tandem stuff, I really enjoyed those fights. Whether it was being able to use the Batmobile or fighting with some of the other characters. I particularly loved the whole Riddler sidequest thing with
Catwoman

Scarecrow was awesome. I'm a huge John Noble fan and he was excellent in the role. And the whole *story spoiler*
Joker in Batman's head
thing was super entertaining throughout.

A bunch of other stuff too. More great brawls and stealth segments. Loved the Fear takedowns. This is definitely my favorite open world in the series. Just a great great game. Had a blast with it. Probably my favorite Arkham game.

jediyoshi

What are the non-ingame characters alluded to so far?

From radio chatter I've heard
black canary, lex luthor, and superman.

WOW, as if the fucking
Cloudburst
GIANT DRILL
thing would be fun?

The
giant drill
fight was really easy actually. Just
aim towards one of the bomb paths and sit and shoot until you bait him

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Oh wow, changing the controls really did change everything. The chase missions are a lot of fun now, I love the Burnout style takedowns with the sideswipe and boost. They even have the trademark slowmo and everything.
Baffled they didn't make those the default controls, can't imagine going back to the other style.

I love how seamlessly you can go from gliding to batmobile and back again. Once I get those altitude upgrades ejecting myself will be amazing.

Oh and
Barbara just shot herself, wtf
The story and pacing in this game is better than City, I'm enjoying it a lot more. I want to 100% this, but it'll take ages.

Ephemeris

Oh wow, changing the controls really did change everything. The chase missions are a lot of fun now, I love the Burnout style takedowns with the sideswipe and boost. They even have the trademark slowmo and everything.
Baffled they didn't make those the default controls, can't imagine going back to the other style.

I went through the pains but eventually got used to it. Went to the alt controls and it felt weird Lol

And for the record, despite some of the pains I do think the Batmobile has been a great addition. May not be the best overall game in the series (I still haven't finished; 86%) but it's the best Batman Sim there is.

Oh, combat wise? Combat pickup automatically makes this the best in the series.

RPGCrazied

Finally beat the game. Though not 100%, so have no clue what the true ending is. Really thought
Batman was going to die, but everyone now knows his identity.

Anything awesome happen if you do everything for Knightfall to happen?

Still have the last Riddler challenge, and bombs to disable.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
How the fuck do I get that second
azrael
mission started?! It tells me to go to the top of some thing and I get there and look... It's fucking nothing.

RPGCrazied

azrael
mission started?! It tells me to go to the top of some thing and I get there and look... It's fucking nothing.

Sometimes its not at the map marker, just get high up and look for a burning bat symbol on the ground.

ta155

azrael

The
Azrael
markers don't take you directly to him, he'll have left a burning Bat symbol on a rooftop in the vicinity.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The
Azrael
markers don't take you directly to him, he'll have left a burning Bat symbol on a rooftop in the vicinity.

Cool. I thought it might be something like that. Thanks.

Top Bottom