• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Anung

Un Rama
Does anyone actually like this Total Recall-ripoff "boss fight" against
the Arkham Knight
?

I'm in shock at how terrible this is, and how awful the entire mission leading up to this point has been (elevator shaft puzzles are not fun).

The game really falls apart in the last third. Which is a real shame as it has so much promise :(

100 Riddler Trophies left to get.

I've been hit with a glitch where a couple of challenges didn't unlock. It's not that they're locked and I have to meet requirements to unlock them, its that they're grayed out and blurry and I can't even select them.

After doing some research they should have unlocked at certain points of the story but didn't. Annoying as shit, better unlock in NG+.

Zakalwe

Banned
the Arkham Knight
?

I'm in shock at how terrible this is, and how awful the entire mission leading up to this point has been (elevator shaft puzzles are not fun).

Yes, I liked it. Not the best design I've ever seen, but simple and enjoyable.

I like all the tank battle sections and mobile pursuits though, got pretty invested in the AR challenges for them too.

Chris1

Just finished it. It was an enjoyable game and IMO the best Batman Arkham, Batmobile combat overstayed it's welcome and could have been toned down a lot but other than that it was great.

I've read so many here say they figured out who the Arkham Knight was before he revealed himself but I'm pretty far into the game and I still don't have a clue. Feeling dumb lol.

Then again I'm not super versed in the Batman universe so that might be why. I've watched a bunch of the cartoons and films but never read any of the comics.
Lol I was the same, had no clue who it was until they revealed it and then I felt stupid. It was so obvious I was actually mad at myself for not figuring it out sooner.

Neiteio

the Arkham Knight
?

I thought they ranged from OK to great.

I especially liked the Cloudburst Tank. I liked that encounter so much I saved it with the Share feature. Creeping around corners, sneaking down alleyways, lining up the shot (the music building all the while), then -frantically- trying to escape... So intense. So good!

The excavator was also great. Lots of tension and release. Feels like you're coming off a rollercoaster as you escape each tunnel.

The sniper showdown was so-so. Still interesting, if a bit easy.

Thunder Thor

Neo Member
For anyone who downloaded the season pass for this on Xbox One, go manage your game and check your ready to install section. Just randomly got ready to installs for two batman skins, bat mobile skin, and the red hood dlc. Downloading them now and will edit this post if they work.

Really? Confirm please!

Grisby

Finished. Well, sorta. (ending bits)
Riddler is the last dude to catch, don't know why they tied the last big of the ending to him.

Some of the story stuff in the last part is great. It's all on the story though, the last fights and encounters weren't anything special.

Kind of sucks that they just had (end side quest boss)
katana man as another tank fight. I mean, his battle in Origins was pretty fun.

I think they kind of overused all the different types of dudes. It made the freeflow combat kind of a pain. I feel like the camera didn't move quick enough and a few times Batman just sorta stopped fighting.

antitrop

I think they kind of overused all the different types of dudes. It made the freeflow combat kind of a pain. I feel like the camera didn't move quick enough and a few times Batman just sorta stopped fighting.

There have been far too many times where Batman gets stuck on the environment, like he'll stand on a table and just start punching the air, instead of automatically tracking enemies like he's supposed to.

This is the first Arkham game I've spent any significant time with, so I figure it's just a problem introduced by the new open-world level design of this game, not necessarily endemic to the series as a whole.

Protip to anyone having difficulty with Riddler races....use first person view.

Trust me.

I'm stuck at this one part where you go off a ramp and it says "Air Control - left stick." Yet I still keep falling into the water.

Moving left stick doesn't seem to give me enough air control.

Solidsoul

Banned
I'm shocked no one has mentioned this yet, so let me throw this out here and see if anyone agrees. While i loved Arkham: Origins, i was upset they screwed with the combat flow and made it less enjoyable to fight. I feel like nothing has changed come Arkham: Knight, mostly regarding the Militia. The combat flow that was so fun in Asylum and City is gone because the Militia have such a diverse set of enemies. Stun guys, Medics, Ninja-sword dudes, Brutes, shield guys, regular guys all doing different things making the combat choppy and irritating.

I play on Hard mode, and while I have no problem admitting a lack of skill. I kick ass no problem in Asylum and City on the hardest difficulties. Arkham Knights thug fights are very good, it's just the militia that get annoying, much like the encounters in Origins.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
So, the end-game is glitched, isn't it?

im bored of the side missions, only have firefighters and a few of those tank battle bombs to go, but activating knight fall does nothing. Batman asks Alfred to send the batwing, and then nothing happens. No one is on GCPD roof either.

This buggy ass game...

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
Boy, this Batmobile Riddler race is awful. Who at Rocksteady thought this shit would be fun?

I felt your pain, bro. I doing the
Firefly
mission and cant even get the first one. The dube fly like a thousand miles and hour and my batmobile was hitting and crashing everywhere. :(

Kind of sneaks up on you how long this game is. I've put in over 30 hours but my total completion is only 40%. I'm slow but still, it's a meaty game.

What I wouldn't give for a PC performance patch though before I finish.

Zakalwe

Banned
The excavator was also great. Lots of tension and release. Feels like you're coming off a rollercoaster as you escape each tunnel.
[/spoiler]

Yeh, was trying to word this in my initial reply but I'm on heavy painkillers and descriptions of stuff is hard. Thanks for being my brain.

I really enjoyed the
sniper showdown
too, the gameplay was basic but the atmosphere was great.

Boy, this Batmobile Riddler race is awful. Who at Rocksteady thought this shit would be fun?

Really? Those were some of my favourite moments, loved the AR versions too, there weren't enough imo.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Welp. The game literally has a half-good ending for doing half of the entire side stuff... but for the real ending must 100%?

293 Riddler trophies.. am cry..

thebloo

So, the end-game is glitched, isn't it?

im bored of the side missions, only have firefighters and a few of those tank battle bombs to go, but activating knight fall does nothing. Batman asks Alfred to send the batwing, and then nothing happens. No one is on GCPD roof either.

This buggy ass game...

There isn't supposed to be someone. Go in front of the Bat Signal, move around a bit until you get an X/A prompt to "Commence Knightfall" or something. The prompt is a bit buggy.

Grisby

There have been far too many times where Batman gets stuck on the environment, like he'll stand on a table and just start punching the air, instead of automatically tracking enemies like he's supposed to.

This is the first Arkham game I've spent any significant time with, so I figure it's just a problem introduced by the new open-world level design of this game, not necessarily endemic to the series as a whole.
I've played every one, and I don't know if it's the expanded environment or not. I do know that this is the first one in the series where I still didn't feel like I had a hand on the combat at the end of the game. I was not zen, like the other Arkham games.

cormack12

Gold Member
Been playing for a bit now. I actually really don't mind the batmobile on the whole, except......it is difficult to just control regularly and using powerslides. It sort of understeers, then when you apply more force it suddenly oversteers.

I'm not that far in really - couple of questions though

Concerning the 'perfect crime' side mission
I've found two bodies and progressed a lot of other side missions and the main. When I try and get the next PoI marker, Alfred just says he seems to like Opera. Do I need to visit an unmarker Opera House or will a marker appear in time?

Concerning the third island
Do you unlock the bridge as part of the main story quest? i've done a couple of the 'tower-esque' clean ups, and I saw a Riddler lockup, for the next cat woman test. Tried to call the bat mobile and it just said it couldn't get access to here yet.....

Just finished it. I thought it was very good and I loved the story! But I was very disappointed at how there weren't really any actual boss fights. Here I was expecting to have an epic hand-to-hand battle with
Deathstroke
but NOPE. More batmobile fights for you! Sigh. The batmobile really felt forced on you at times.

I was able to figure out who the Arkham Knight was around half-way through the game. I'm a little disappinted I was right but I suppose it made the most sense story-wise.

Besides that and a few other minor complaints, I loved the game and would rank it 2nd under Bloodborne this year.

So is it just me, or did texture pop-in become a lot more apparent near the end of the game (PS4)? Textures were popping in like a block away. I swear it wasn't as bad for the first 85% of the game :/

The biggest problem I have with the Batmobile controls is that I'm used to using the handbrake (left trigger) to drift around corners, from playing Need for Speed games, but in this game left trigger just turns you into Battle Mode.

rbanke

I'm about 60% through the story (I put
Robin in the cage, btw it forces you into that choice after entering it yourself a few times
) I was listening to the Bomb Cast and Jason recommended playing the storyline first and then cleaning up because of the way it changes the dialog of side missions. Is that a generally agreed upon feeling? Before hearing that I was focusing on riddler challenges and side stuff, but if I'd be best served just finishing the storyline I'll do so.

I am really liking it so far, less so than Assylum, more so than City. So far my feelings are:
-Looks great (ps4)
-Loving the
Joker
stuff, more often than not it makes me laugh
-They could remove the batmobile completely and I think I'd like it more.
-I feel like its really feels lacking in the predator missions/stealth aspect. I feel like the rare times there is a decent reason to use stealth, there are less options than previous games. Less things to lure them into, walls to blow up on them, fun ways to mess with the enemies.
-Too much voice chatter from enemies

The biggest problem I have with the Batmobile controls is that I'm used to using the handbrake (left trigger) to drift around corners, from playing Need for Speed games, but in this game left trigger just turns you into Battle Mode.

There is a toggle that changes r1 to toggle battle mode, and makes driving like a sane person would expect.

I've played every one, and I don't know if it's the expanded environment or not. I do know that this is the first one in the series where I still didn't feel like I had a hand on the combat at the end of the game. I was not zen, like the other Arkham games.

I'm certainly feeling this way also. I did all the challenges in Asylum because it was so good, but here 60% through and I still feel like I fall into mashing buttons sometimes or screwing up combat that should be simple.

You can change that in the options. When it comes to switching between the two quickly, I actually prefer the default though. It's quicker to do a 180 in battle mode, and there are certain fights where that's invaluable.

-I feel like its really feels lacking in the predator missions/stealth aspect. I feel like the rare times there is a decent reason to use stealth, there are less options than previous games. Less things to lure them into, walls to blow up on them, fun ways to mess with the enemies.

There's a ton more things you can do and there are more varied circumstances (e.g. predator sequences while alarms are going off).

antitrop

Yep, Lex even has a voicemail on Wayne's phone in the Tower.
There are tons of Lex references. I've even heard the thugs talking about him as I was flying over the city.

Pretty sure I saw a giant neon sign with his name on it, too.

If Rocksteady's next game is Superman, few should be surprised.

I think the riddler trophies being so spaced out and out-of-the-way has led to there being proportionately more I'm going through all at once post-game than in previous games. Most are pretty clever/challenging though, so it's nowhere near a snorefest like the ones in Asylum. Finding riddle answers can be a real pain though when they're just a single bit of graffiti or a poster you have to find within an entire block.

Excavator
boss "fight" underground was fun. Saw someone mention they had no idea what to do ... it was similar to Arkham City's final boss in that the introductory cutscene shows the boss' weakness. I didn't know where to go at first and still figured it out without getting hit (same with the post-boss moment — stuff like that is great).

What's the performance like on this on PC after that latest patch?

Want to play the game but it's €70 for the PS4 version and I can get a PC key for €17.90. I don't need it to be full 60 fps or anything since it's not on consoles, I'd just like a solid locked 30.

My specs:

i5 3570k @ 4.2 GHz
16GB RAM
GTX 970

Vyer

Might be one i got stuck on for awhile, i eventually ran to the streets to fight and called in my car which hilariously took out 2/3rs of em.

I always panic with electricity guys

What's funny is I did this once, but I guess I went too far in drawing them out because once the bat mobile slaughtered them it didn't let me rescue the guy. Lol

Finally did it though, this time only drawing them enough that I could remote snipe a few of them and beat down the rest.

While I agree that the last third of the game was a mess, I actually enjoyed the Excavator fight. Probably the only Batmobile thing aside from normal driving and the APC chases that I enjoyed.

While I agree that the last third of the game was a mess, I actually enjoyed the Excavator fight. Probably the only Batmobile thing aside from normal driving and the APC chases that I enjoyed.

If nothing else,
seeing it's like 20m away with the killer sound design gets my blood pumping.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
So, question about endings --
Beat Scarecrow and now I'm "cleaning up the city" for Knightfall. Did I already pass up my opportunity for the best endings, or will initiating Knightfall with %100 completion give me the best ending?Guess I'm just trying to ask if my chance has passed for this playthrough.

GeeTeeCee

Batman is a real dick in this game. Like damn, he wasn't this bad in the others, or am I remembering incorrectly?

He was a bit of a dick in Arkham City, where he
was prepared to let a bunch of people die during Protocol 10 so he could save Talia, until Alfred forced him to switch priorities. At least in this there's a viable reason why Bruce isn't acting quite right.
Rocksteady's Batman isn't quite human enough sometimes for my liking.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I know this has nothing to do with the game but it made me laugh... plus Riddler Challenges or whatever

11226559_830248213727487_7930903660362277466_n.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yes, I liked it. Not the best design I've ever seen, but simple and enjoyable.

I like all the tank battle sections and mobile pursuits though, got pretty invested in the AR challenges for them too.

I imagine I'm
Solid Snake
and it's a
Metal Gear

Top Bottom