• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Finished main storyline but uh...no credits?

Was I supposed to do something to activate
Knight fall protocol
?

Knightfall Protocol is the actual ending. So yeah, complete more of the side quests and round up them criminals, man.

Also, was I the only one legitimately scared during the
FPS Joker sequence? When that Batman statue shows up behind you for the first time, I almost died in real life lol

Blader

While I agree that the last third of the game was a mess, I actually enjoyed the Excavator fight. Probably the only Batmobile thing aside from normal driving and the APC chases that I enjoyed.

Yeah, I thought the Excavator and APC chases were a lot of fun too. The tank drone battle with
Arkham Knight
was frustrating though.

So, question about endings --
Beat Scarecrow and now I'm "cleaning up the city" for Knightfall. Did I already pass up my opportunity for the best endings, or will initiating Knightfall with %100 completion give me the best ending?Guess I'm just trying to ask if my chance has passed for this playthrough.

The "best ending" occurs when you activate the Knightfall Protocol, which only becomes an option once you've done all the Most Wanted missions. So you haven't missed it, you have to manually trigger that ending to occur anyway.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm shocked no one has mentioned this yet, so let me throw this out here and see if anyone agrees. While i loved Arkham: Origins, i was upset they screwed with the combat flow and made it less enjoyable to fight. I feel like nothing has changed come Arkham: Knight, mostly regarding the Militia. The combat flow that was so fun in Asylum and City is gone because the Militia have such a diverse set of enemies. Stun guys, Medics, Ninja-sword dudes, Brutes, shield guys, regular guys all doing different things making the combat choppy and irritating.

I play on Hard mode, and while I have no problem admitting a lack of skill. I kick ass no problem in Asylum and City on the hardest difficulties. Arkham Knights thug fights are very good, it's just the militia that get annoying, much like the encounters in Origins.
I have actually made quite a few posts on why the combat in this game isn't as good. The combat camera is irritating and zooms in a little too close in some encounters making it such that I can't see enemies that are attacking enabling a cheap hit. Batman frequently will attack air despite an enemy in close proximity causing the freeflow to end. Another issue I find is that far more in this game than in AC or AO, Batman will inexplicably target the wrong enemy. For example let's say there are three thugs and one is electrified, quite often batman would target and attack the electrified thug. I had it happen quite a bit in the Batman/Catwoman fights. It was aggravating to say the least.

One thing I will say is that compared to AC, AK very much encourages you to use your weapons in the Powered form, which are active after 5X instead of during freeflow focus in AC.

Also using smoke before encounters was an IMMENSE help. You combine that with multitakedown and you can take care of a lit of enemies.

Vire

100% completion! Eat it Riddler..

What are the major differences in New Game +? Is it worth playing?

I have actually made quite a few posts on why the combat in this game isn't as good. The combat camera is irritating and zooms in a little too close in some encounters making it such that I can't see enemies that are attacking enabling a cheap hit. Batman frequently will attack air despite an enemy in close proximity causing the freeflow to end. Another issue I find is that far more in this game than in AC or AO, Batman will inexplicably target the wrong enemy. For example let's say there are three thugs and one is electrified, quite often batman would target and attack the electrified thug. I had it happen quite a bit in the Batman/Catwoman fights. It was aggravating to say the least.

One thing I will say is that compared to AC, AK very much encourages you to use your weapons in the Powered form, which are active after 5X instead of during freeflow focus in AC.

Also using smoke before encounters was an IMMENSE help. You combine that with multitakedown and you can take care of a lit of enemies.

Tbh, I like this game's combat the most for a real simple reason. I like being able to re-stand enemies. That shit is a godsend.

Downhome

After trying to defeat the Arkham Knight's
tank and Cloudburst
multiple times, and failing miserably over and over again while doing very little damage to it, this finally happened. Did I get lucky? Is this a glitch? Or is this a "legit" way to take it down very quickly? Either way, thank God this is over, ugh.

Here is the video I captured really quickly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUFmmWcFBjA

rbanke

There's a ton more things you can do and there are more varied circumstances (e.g. predator sequences while alarms are going off).

Are you saying it gets better or that I'm overlooking stuff? Because so far it seems lacking.

I'm shocked no one has mentioned this yet, so let me throw this out here and see if anyone agrees. While i loved Arkham: Origins, i was upset they screwed with the combat flow and made it less enjoyable to fight. I feel like nothing has changed come Arkham: Knight, mostly regarding the Militia. The combat flow that was so fun in Asylum and City is gone because the Militia have such a diverse set of enemies. Stun guys, Medics, Ninja-sword dudes, Brutes, shield guys, regular guys all doing different things making the combat choppy and irritating.

I play on Hard mode, and while I have no problem admitting a lack of skill. I kick ass no problem in Asylum and City on the hardest difficulties. Arkham Knights thug fights are very good, it's just the militia that get annoying, much like the encounters in Origins.

I could not agree more. There are way too many 'deal with this guy in a special way' enemies that it ruins the flow and at times even makes combat a bit tedious. To me the combat doesn't need all these special enemies to be varied. In fact, I'd say it becomes less varied as there is now a specific list of things you have to do on the majority of enemies rather than trying all your different tactics on the general enemies.

Alienous

tank and Cloudburst
multiple times, and failing miserably over and over again while doing very little damage to it, this finally happened. Did I get lucky? Is this a glitch? Or is this a "legit" way to take it down very quickly? Either way, thank God this is over, ugh.

You can fuck it up with missiles anyway if you store them up (I think), but yeah, looks like you got lucky.

100% completion! Eat it Riddler..

What are the major differences in New Game +? Is it worth playing?

No counter icons, you lose fear if spotted, and some encounters are more difficult (remixed enemy compositions). Difficulty is locked to Knightmare which is above Hard. You also start with all gadgets and upgrades from NG.

On Demand

Banned
Is the thing you used in AC to search radio signals not in the game? I'm 48% in the story and i haven't seen one. I thought maybe you get one when you keep upgrading your stuff throughout the story.

Regginator

tank and Cloudburst

Nah it's a legit way but you were getting pretty hammered yourself though.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
There isn't supposed to be someone. Go in front of the Bat Signal, move around a bit until you get an X/A prompt to "Commence Knightfall" or something. The prompt is a bit buggy.
nah, there was no prompt. Eventually, Alfred said it was ready and when I activated again, an objective marker appeared. I had to bring Slade (fucking tank missions, ugh) in before Alfred woke up.

jediyoshi

I could not agree more. There are way too many 'deal with this guy in a special way' enemies that it ruins the flow and at times even makes combat a bit tedious. To me the combat doesn't need all these special enemies to be varied. In fact, I'd say it becomes less varied as there is now a specific list of things you have to do on the majority of enemies rather than trying all your different tactics on the general enemies.

Things don't become more varied when you're given less mechanical incentive to do so. If you only ever fought regular thugs, you'd only ever just normally free flow all of them and the combat would just reinforce you to do it. The most 'involved' special enemy are the blades and those have been in since Asylum. Everything else, at the very least, you can mash to react to as soon as you see them. The variety is in both dealing with them and how you deal with them, since it's incorrect to generalize that specific enemies can only be dealt with in a specific way.

Anybody know if there is a guide that shows you which riddler trophy they are going after on the in-game ridder screen?

I only have 5 trophies that I still need and I cant remember which ones Ive done and which ones I havent. Ive tried scanning through the videos but I must keep missing the ones that Im looking for.

Vire

No counter icons, you lose fear if spotted, and some encounters are more difficult (remixed enemy compositions). Difficulty is locked to Knightmare which is above Hard. You also start with all gadgets and upgrades from NG.

Interesting thanks, I did hard mode to start... but I like that there is one difficulty higher. I'll probably tackle this after I play a bit more Witcher 3.

jediyoshi

Anybody know if there is a guide that shows you which riddler trophy they are going after on the in-game ridder screen?

I only have 5 trophies that I still need and I cant remember which ones Ive done and which ones I havent. Ive tried scanning through the videos but I must keep missing the ones that Im looking for.

These do
https://www.youtube.com/user/BatmanArkhamVideos/videos

protip: hit the youtube player settings and change speed to 2 to run through them quicker

Vire

Are you saying it gets better or that I'm overlooking stuff? Because so far it seems lacking.

It doesn't ruin the flow at all in my opinion.. well unless you aren't very good and keep hitting the wrong button for the wrong enemy. I get the 50x combos all the time still in this game.

stephen08

I don't think this post is all that accurate. Asylum had Stun guys, City introduced ninjas, brutes, and shield guys. The only new enemy class is the medic who is just a regular guy to fight except he will run off and revive someone. Oh and he will electrify someone occasionally too.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Are you aware you can pick up enemies off the ground in Arkham Knight?
Are you talking about the move where you press L2 and circle (PS4)?

Yeah, I know about that move but I never found it particularly useful. It doesn't seem to provide any advantage of a regular beat down.

Enlighten me on some of its benefits that I may not have considered.

Alienous

I don't think this post is all that accurate. Asylum had Stun guys, City introduced ninjas, brutes, and shield guys. The only new enemy class is the medic who is just a regular guy to fight except he will run off and revive someone. Oh and he will electrify someone occasionally too.

There are brutes, electrified guys, ninjas. All enemies who you cannot hit directly (usually). That's not considering stun baton and shield guys.

It does have an impact on the combat, at least it did for me. It took some of the 'flow' out of 'freeflow', because it's quite common in combat scenarios (particularly in the late game) that they are more enemies you can't attack normally than there are enemies you can. So when you have to leap over a stun baton person, stun-jump-jump shield people, attack ninjas and be aware that they can dodge, hit electrified guys with a projectile and stun and beatdown brutes, watching out for tackles that could be coming from off-screen, the combat can become very 'dense'.

Even when I'm doing it well it isn't with as much style as in City. In that game the challenge wasn't so much from the enemies themselves, but a personal challenge with regards to how efficiently you could dispatch your enemies. In this I found myself really having to strategically target specific opponents, and that was usually something reserved for Predator sections. As such I found that I enjoyed the dual-play sequences, where you could be stylish and playful, more fun that the harder combat sequences in Arkham Knight.

Solidsoul

Banned

While i can definitley see your complaints I don't think were concerned about the same thing. I personally do not have much of, if any issues with the camera angle or batman attacking the wrong thug. That actually works pretty well for me. My concern is there are way to many enemy types, mainly when fighting Militia. It's not fun because the flow of combat is so broken between trying to take all different sorts of enemys. Fighting a regular pack of thugs on the streets is alot more fun, and much more in line with City and Asylum.

It's great that Rocksteady (and WB Montreal for that matter) are trying to build on their combat flow that was first introduced in Asylum but they went to far in this game, and did not learn from peoples complaints with the enemys and combat flow from Origins. It's definitley not game breaking but it does suck sometimes. I'm glad someone else agrees with me. City had it perfect.

Sure, you're correct those games did have those. But this is the only game where you will get into a 20+ thug battle with a mixture of Sheild, Stun, Medic, Gun, Brute, Sword Ninja, Blade, Charging and regular thugs all at the same time. It's so chaotic to manage everyone in the field you can't free flow like City/Asylum and it makes the combat less enjoyable. It sucks kicking ass for 20 seconds only for 1 of 8 different thugs to pull a different move on you and ruin the whole flow. You might say it's better because it's varied and difficult, but i don't feel like it's difficulty that's precicley the issue, it's the flow and the enjoyment of it that is tarnished.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I don't understand how I am supposed to utilize gadgets when gliding into a target, I never get enough time to use one let alone three and I need three to unlock one of the races.

Help me out here.

Alienous

I don't understand how I am supposed to utilize gadgets when gliding into a target, I never get enough time to use one let alone three and I need three to unlock one of the races.

Help me out here.

If you glide kick and start using the gadgets time should slow down. So find a group, start a glide kick, hold L2 and just tap triangle, circle, square (whichever ones for the gadgets you want to use) and wrap it up by quickly tapping L2 a couple of times.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Yeah, I thought the Excavator and APC chases were a lot of fun too. The tank drone battle with
Arkham Knight
was frustrating though.

The "best ending" occurs when you activate the Knightfall Protocol, which only becomes an option once you've done all the Most Wanted missions. So you haven't missed it, you have to manually trigger that ending to occur anyway.

so you can only activate Knightfall when you've found every single Riddler trophy and solved every Riddle?i was told there's a few endings, a little confused here.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Yeah, I know about that move but I never found it particularly useful. It doesn't seem to provide any advantage of a regular beat down.

It's R2+O and it can work as a dodge as well. You can pull enemies out of range of an incoming attack as well as easily continue your combo instead of risking the chance of losing it incase the enemy on the ground gets knocked out. Just did a detective bit that was really cool, met Firefly and
Azrael.

Regginator

so you can only activate Knightfall when you've found every single Riddler trophy and solved every Riddle?i was told there's a few endings, a little confused here.

I think there are two endings, not three. What people consider the "first" ending is just bringing in
Scarecrow
to GCPD and that's that.

To get the first ending, you have to complete 12 of 14 side quests.

To get the full ending, you have to complete all side quests, including all Riddler trophies and riddles. Basically 100% everything except for the AR challenges (which don't count towards 100%). This ending has an extra scene with a
Bat-like creature, with some fear toxin, may or may not be Bruce

Munki

3 endings

1 after you beat the scarecrow
1 after you capture 12 most wanted *edit*
1 after you achieve 100%

Regginator

3 endings

1 after you beat the scarecrow
1 after you capture the most wanted
1 after you achieve 100%

Nah the second one isn't necessarily capturing all most wanted, because I never caught Riddler (I'm very burnt on the trophies and riddles in prior games) and I still got to activate the first
Operation Knightfall

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Got it. Thanks guys! :)

Am I correct in assuming that there's no way to drive the JokerMobile outside of that one one short scene during the ending sequence? Seems like too much work designing it just for that one small section

Munki

Got it. Thanks guys! :)

Am I correct in assuming that there's no way to drive the JokerMobile outside of that one one short scene during the ending sequence? Seems like too much work designing it just for that one small section

You would be correct.

How to do Critical Hits on drones? I've had it happen before, just no idea what counts a critical.

Edit: and perfect shots while I'm asking.

He was a bit of a dick in Arkham City, where he
was prepared to let a bunch of people die during Protocol 10 so he could save Talia, until Alfred forced him to switch priorities. At least in this there's a viable reason why Bruce isn't acting quite right.
Rocksteady's Batman isn't quite human enough sometimes for my liking.

He also adamantly refused any help from his extended family in City as well, something he does a lot in Knight. Though he does that quite frequently in the comics as well so it isn't exactly out of character.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
There are brutes, electrified guys, ninjas. All enemies who you cannot hit directly (usually). That's not considering stun baton and shield guys.

It does have an impact on the combat, at least it did for me. It took some of the 'flow' out of 'freeflow', because it's quite common in combat scenarios (particularly in the late game) that they are more enemies you can't attack normally than there are enemies you can. So when you have to leap over a stun baton person, stun-jump-jump shield people, attack ninjas and be aware that they can dodge, hit electrified guys with a projectile and stun and beatdown brutes, watching out for tackles that could be coming from off-screen, the combat can become very 'dense'.

Even when I'm doing it well it isn't with as much style as in City. In that game the challenge wasn't so much from the enemies themselves, but a personal challenge with regards to how efficiently you could dispatch your enemies. In this I found myself really having to strategically target specific opponents, and that was usually something reserved for Predator sections. As such I found that I enjoyed the dual-play sequences, where you could be stylish and playful, more fun that the harder combat sequences in Arkham Knight.

Actually, I think it's interesting to dissect the Predator mode here too.

While I never felt they were that 'hard' in the other games, I felt way more...passive here, I guess. I felt like you could accomplish A LOT just sitting on a perch taking everyone out. The Disruptor has always been powerful, but it seems to be even moreso here--and serves as a hard counter to almost everything new they added. Like Medics, cool addition! They'll go around and pick people up, so you want to prioritize them. But I don't think I have a single instance where I actually felt their impact, as the disruptor serves to essentially be a long ranged takedown as they will incapacitate themselves. So will the mine users. So will people deploying a sentry. It's not just threat removal such as not having a sentry or mine to deal with, it straight up takes out whoever uses them in the first place. On top of that, you have complete control with the voice synth to specifically pick your targets and send them anywhere to take them down which is better than the sonic batarang ever was. On top of THAT, Fear Takedowns, as cool as they look, are...pretty damn OP as they let you clear a whole crowd that goes to check on a body(like the aftermath of a medic getting shocked).

I think it would have worked out better if the disruptor didn't fully shut down medic packs. Like maybe the first one would do that, but someone else would take over and pick up the additional medpacks and use them, so you'd have to use 3 shots of ammo to take them out of the picture(which is a hefty investment and would actually be a harder choice to make). I like the Boa Drone dudes since that's actual risk reward, get close to hack the code and turn the drone into a potential triple incap. I don't feel there was enough of that, as the current way things work would mean they basically need a massive predator section full of 20+ people, multiple medics, etc. so you can't just immediately take out the unique guys from a perch, and the whole learning aspect would come into play more(like the voice synth not working if you use it a lot, but when this actually kicks in there's generally <3 people left anyway).

I didn't dislike the predator sections really, but I felt less like a predator and more like a wizard having everyone in the room take themselves out.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Thanks. I had a feeling it was something to do with that but most of the time I would get turret hit instead of critical.

And perfect shot?

Perfect shot means a single shot of the gun on the light since it immediately takes out a drone. I am pretty sure you also can't shoot inbetween and miss, you'll have a chain of perfect shots if you use a single shot with no misses inbetween while hitting the critical points.

Both.

And there's definitely more predator segments in this main game compared to City, probably as many or more than there are in Asylum, and that's just ignoring the side missions content.

Really, I thought for sure City had more predator segments in the main game? Someone should count these up...

Is the thing you used in AC to search radio signals not in the game? I'm 48% in the story and i haven't seen one. I thought maybe you get one when you keep upgrading your stuff throughout the story.

Keep playing. The radio signal part isn't but the cryptographic sequencer is.

It's far quicker to execute than ground pounds (and therefore less risky). It's a great way to boost your combo multiplier as well. Consequently it's one of my favorite moves in the game and it will be very painful going back to the prior Arkham games without it.

Really, I thought for sure City had more predator segments in the main game? Someone should count these up...

It certainly seemed to me that there were more in Knight. Assuming you count the ones you do in the Open World, which I do because they were high quality compared to City's Open World predator missions which were kind of lackluster.

Top Bottom