• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Setsuna

One thing ive noticed aobut the combat in this game is that there can be two people like 20 feet apart that will teleport to you the moment you decide to dual counter

GeoGonzo

Some people have mentioned "bad boss fights" but that's super weird because the Arkham games gave exactly one (1) good boss fight, and it was actually a predator encounter. I'll never understand the love for the Arkham Origins fight against
Deathstroke
: It looks nice, but it was pretty much a bunch of chained cinematics and QTEs. In fact, if that's the kind of fight you like, you may enjoy the much more elaborate animations against bosses in Arkham Knight.

Fake edit: I'm suddenly thinking that actually the last fight of Arkham City wasn't bad. Hmm... Still, these games are for brawlin' and that is what they'll do.

breakfuss

Soooo

...was Kevin Van Ord at Gamespot right? :/

Absolutely, yes. I believe it was Gamespot that was the outlier on Skyward Sword as well. I remember being pissed at them but when I eventually got around to playing they were spot on there as well. First (non-handheld) Zelda I didn't finish.

But, again, I don't regret buying AK. Asylum is just that good to me - a near perfect game. Hard to top.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Some people have mentioned "bad boss fights" but that's super weird because the Arkham games gave exactly one (1) good boss fight, and it was actually a predator encounter. I'll never understand the love for the Arkham Origins fight against
Deathstroke
: It looks nice, but it was pretty much a bunch of chained cinematics and QTEs. In fact, if that's the kind of fight you like, you may enjoy the much more elaborate animations against bosses in Arkham Knight.

Fake edit: I'm suddenly thinking that actually the last fight of Arkham City wasn't bad. Hmm... Still, these games are for brawlin' and that is what they'll do.

This is what I don't get.

What is it that people REALLY want from the boss fights? I want boss fights that force you to utilize what you have previously learned and perfect it.

This is what was so good about Arkham Origins, in that it gave you a ton of variety in boss fights. Nothing quite as elaborate as Mr. Freeze though.

Mesoian

Now that the game is over and the only thing left are riddler trophies, I really, REALLY, wish that green thugs gave you more clues on the map. Hunting them down only to get 6 is tedious.

Deathstroke

It's not hard to understand why people like it. It was extremely well animated and choreographed, Deathstroke looked great, there's nothing like it in the rest of the series, and the timing windows on the "QTEs" were tight enough that it was challenging the first time through.

It's not brilliant, but it was something fresh. I do agree the Freeze fight is head and shoulders above everything else in the franchise.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's not hard to understand why people like it. It was extremely well animated and choreographed, Deathstroke looked great, there's nothing like it in the rest of the series, and the timing windows on the "QTEs" were tight enough that it was challenging the first time through.

It's not brilliant, but it was something fresh. I do agree the Freeze fight is head and shoulders above everything else in the franchise.
That's exactly why people liked the Deathstroke fight. It could be a tad challenging the first time, it was very unique without being overly difficult. Same with the firefly fight, although it was similar to Poison Ivy fight. Same reason.

jediyoshi

-The vehicular combat sections suck. They just amount to a tedious exercise in constant dodging and firing without taking the time to aim.

This sounds like you're artificially making it more difficult for yourself by needlessly moving around. In actuality, you barely have to move around during tank combat. Unless you're directly being aimed at and the line is red, you're best off remaining completely still because enemy aim never adjusts once its locked on to a position.

GeoGonzo

I didn't care much for it. It was well animated, but the animations were incredibly repetitive since the fight takes way too long (unless you abuse his vulnerability to the batclaw). Also, before new game + the fight is easy as hell: one on one, you literally only need to keep your eyes on Deathstroke's head and counter when he attacks. WB Montreal were clearly aware of how paper thin the fight was so they simply changed the counter mechanic FOR THAT FIGHT ONLY to not work if pressed too soon. Effectively, most players will start the fight and be confused at how the counter doesn't seem to work. They'll then adapt (either during their first fight or after a few failures) and wipe the floor with Deathstroke.

It honestly was kind of bad. I still have fond memories of Origins due to their great voice acting and great looking cutscenes but gameplay wise it was simply worse than any other Arkham game.

I didn't care much for it. It was well animated, but the animations were incredibly repetitive since the fight takes way too long (unless you abuse his vulnerability to the batclaw). Also, before new game + the fight is easy as hell: one on one, you literally only need to keep your eyes on Deathstroke's head and counter when he attacks. WB Montreal were clearly aware of how paper thin the fight was so they simply changed the counter mechanic FOR THAT FIGHT ONLY to not work if pressed too soon. Effectively, most players will start the fight and be confused at how the counter doesn't seem to work. They'll then adapt (either during their first fight or after a few failures) and wipe the floor with Deathstroke.

It honestly was kind of bad. I still have fond memories of Origins due to their great voice acting and great looking cutscenes but gameplay wise it was simply worse than any other Arkham game.

I can't disagree, it's a one trick pony of a fight gameplay-wise. Then again, so is the Freeze fight once you know all the takedowns.

Still, it was intense the first time through and that's what counts for me. Standout moment in that game, for sure.

Carbonox

Nice, the Brutality 101 trophy has seemingly glitched on me. Is it not recommended to do these in AR missions? I've 100% without fail performed several times 15 different moves in a row in one complete freeflow combo. Absolutely zero failure in pulling them off and it's not popping or showing in the list.

Nice, the Brutality 101 trophy has seemingly glitched on me. Is it not recommended to do these in AR missions? I've 100% without fail performed several times 15 different moves in a row in one complete freeflow combo. Absolutely zero failure in pulling them off and it's not popping or showing in the list.

I got mine in the last combat AR challenge.

Nick

I'm 14 riddles away from 100%ing the game. Has anyone else, without giving away too much, had major trouble with the trophies that simply have numbers above it, without explanation?

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
GAF ... I feel some urge to try and finish the Riddler trophies. It seems absurd. I already watched the ending.

What would you do?

Really? Don't see an option. There's there one from AC i was checking out and the new one.

It shows it's worn out but when playing the game it's brand new.

Seems to be a glitch. If you change suits, the damage disappears/never appears in game (supposedly it kicks back in when you start NG+), but does show during cinematics.

On Demand

Banned
Seems to be a glitch. If you change suits, the damage disappears/never appears in game (supposedly it kicks back in when you start NG+), but does show during cinematics.

I haven't continued the story yet to see if it's there, but that sucks. If I knew it wouldn't be there during game play I would of never changed suits.

EDIT-

Yep. There in the cut scene I'm watching now.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
I just watched the ending. Totally not worth going through all of that for that ending. I guess I was expecting something more than that.

I know I was.

Started New Game+ (there is a different intro) and then realized it's just all gadgets unlocked and "hardcore" combat mode (no indicators for counters/unblockables). I gathered that this is the same as City, but I never pursued City to this point.

It was a lot of fun, it was a Batman story that I think was the best they've done in video game form that I've played ever, and I really thought the combat was perfected. Great game, but not perfect. Hoping that Rocksteady has another innovation up their sleeves for the next game and not just iterations on the Arkham gameplay.

Melee combat was revitalized by Arkham Asylum. Maybe they can do the same for something like ... full three dimensional combat (flight), or first person action (shooting/other stuff?)

IStarted New Game+ (there is a different intro) and then realized it's just all gadgets unlocked and "hardcore" combat mode (no indicators for counters/unblockables). I gathered that this is the same as City, but I never pursued City to this point.

Remixed combat encounters too, I think. Honestly what more would you expect in a New Game+? I think the series has always featured quite full featured New Game+ modes.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Remixed combat encounters too, I think. Honestly what more would you expect in a New Game+? I think the series has always featured quite full featured New Game+ modes.

I guess it's just that I've never felt the desire to NG+ an Arkham game. I come for the story, most of the sidequests, and I'm good. Remixed encounters and "hardcore" UI changes just don't seem that fun.

I will say I did more side shit than I've done in an "open world" game in the last 3 years. Very well made game. I realized the reason I did all the Most Wanteds except Riddler was just to see (spoiler if you don't know the endings to Most Wanted missions)
Batman lock each and every one of the fuckers away.

I finished Asylum, City, and Oranges, but did no where near the amount of sidequests that I did here.

EDIT: So, I guess this a pretty goddamn ringing endorsement for the game. The oddest piece is that I'd recommend mainlining the primary story quest and doing side missions later if possible....

leng jai

So how annoying is the platinum trophy for this? The thought of replaying this game again is pretty bad, so many annoying sections.

.J.

Banned
The end credits of this game actually show stills from previous games, and it just makes me feel even worse about the relative lack of supervillains and boss fights in this game.

I know a lot of people think the Batmobile was a good way to break up the formula, but I feel like it became a poor substitute for those elements that made the previous games special.

Imagine Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Clayface, Solomon Grundy, The Penguin, the R.a'G. sequences, and all of the other cool shit from the previous games replaced by basically the exact same thing over and over and over and over again.

Good thing that main story and implementation of
The Joker
was as great as it was, because a lot of the rest of this game is crap on a cracker compared to prior entries.

So how annoying is the platinum trophy for this? The thought of replaying this game again is pretty bad, so many annoying sections.

Really not bad at all. I'd give it about a 3/10 in difficulty. I mainlined the story in NG+ in one sitting. Died once or twice, maybe. Hardest trophy is hitting 8 jumps over 100m lol.

Imagine Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Clayface, Solomon Grundy, The Penguin, the R.a'G. sequences, and all of the other cool shit from the previous games replaced by basically the exact same thing over and over and over and over again.

You have a poor recollection of Asylum and City if you think bosses aside from Mr. Freeze were good.

Sober

Okay, the Big Game Hunter (kill 6 cobras in 2:30 or less) AR challenge isn't that hard. First time I finally cleared it I got 3 stars + 5 rival points. The only dumb thing is you are at the mercy of RNG on where they spawn. But to get it that fast you have to use Cobra Lure to set up kills rather than trying to wait for a good opportunity to sneak up behind one of them. It's so dumb that something like that is an upgrade when it should be basic functionality. But then again, Cobra Tanks seemed really misused in the story mode anyway.

Call me crazy, but I like every single change they made in this game. From less traditional boss fights, to heavy use of the Batmobile. It gives the game a distinct feel from the other two Rocksteady entries, which is welcome in my eyes as someone who did play Origins and was not looking forward to more of the same (even though I liked that one overall).

Each of the games has it's own identity, and I think that's a good thing. There's different reasons to play them all.

That makes so much sense... I was wondering why I wasn't seeing anything. Super lame.

The Arkham combat system doesn't really lend itself to good boss fights. It's really just focused on making you feel untouchable against a crowd of mooks.

.J.

Banned
You have a poor recollection of Asylum and City if you think bosses aside from Mr. Freeze were good.

Killer Croc in the sewer? Poison Ivy's giant plant boss? The mutated Joker? The hallucinatory al Ghul sequences? The list goes on. They weren't the greatest boss battles of all times, but they were unique breaks from the standard action of the game, at least, and each actually felt like a boss fight.

In this game, I literally can't think of anything comparable other than the ridiculous
giant drill

The thing is, even if they aren't good, they are at least there. They are not here, in Arkham Knight.

Killer Croc in the sewer? Poison Ivy's giant plant boss? The mutated Joker? The hallucinatory al Ghul sequences?

Weak, boring, horrible and serviceable, respectively.

Shitty boss fights aren't better than nothing, honestly. I'll take a sound gameplay experience over a shitty, yet "unique" experience like the mutated Joker abomination from Asylum (and every other "boss" in that game) that people are very willing to forget.

I'm stuck in a fucking weapons cache. Please tell me I'm not fucked.

Penguin? I need more to go on.

Killer Croc in the sewer? Poison Ivy's giant plant boss? The mutated Joker? The hallucinatory al Ghul sequences? The list goes on. They weren't the greatest boss battles of all times, but they were unique breaks from the standard action of the game, at least, and each actually felt like a boss fight.

In this game, I literally can't think of anything comparable other than the ridiculous
giant drill

The thing is, even if they aren't good, they are at least there. They are not here, in Arkham Knight.

I prefer no boss battles prior horrible boss battles.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Besides the riddler informant in
the police station
I can;t find anymore in the first or second island. Glitch or?

.J.

Banned
I enjoyed all of those Boss Battles except for maybe the Poison Ivy fight, I actually really like Ra's fight.

Ditto, really.

The thing is, I know we're talking about subjective experiences here, and I'm willing to admit that those boss battles aren't the strongest (in fact, I already did).

But I have a really hard time believing that anyone thinks the repetitive, barely varied nature of most of the gameplay in Arkham Knight constitutes a solid gameplay experience.

And for the record, I'm still playing the game because it's fun to play as Batman as designed by Rocksteady. But I absolutely dread having to get into the Batmobile, and I'm now stuck picking away at those damned mine missions and the take back the streets roadblock missions or whatever. It's drudgery at its worst, and it's design below what Rocksteady has done in the past, in my opinion.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Okay, the Big Game Hunter (kill 6 cobras in 2:30 or less) AR challenge isn't that hard. First time I finally cleared it I got 3 stars + 5 rival points. The only dumb thing is you are at the mercy of RNG on where they spawn. But to get it that fast you have to use Cobra Lure to set up kills rather than trying to wait for a good opportunity to sneak up behind one of them. It's so dumb that something like that is an upgrade when it should be basic functionality. But then again, Cobra Tanks seemed really misused in the story mode anyway.

Im glad you found it easy, I could never get the Cobra lure work properly and I always got shitty spawns.

Sober

Im glad you found it easy, I could never get the Cobra lure work properly and I always got shitty spawns.
I must've went through like 50 retries before finding out the lure was the best way to make it for the timer. And even then the starting spawns you get sometimes suck where you kill one and then you get sandwiched between a new spawn and the big tank and you can't do anything but get caught/try again.

But I have a really hard time believing that anyone thinks the repetitive, barely varied nature of most of the gameplay in Arkham Knight constitutes a solid gameplay experience.

Then you don't find Arkham Asylum, a game that consists of two types of basic gameplay that don't evolve throughout the game, to be a solid gameplay experience.

And if the Batmobile is so excruciating for you, quit doing the Batmobile side missions. Are you a reviewer or something? Just do the stuff that feels like "playing as Batman" for you.

I must've went through like 50 retries before finding out the lure was the best way to make it for the timer. And even then the starting spawns you get sometimes suck where you kill one and then you get sandwiched between a new spawn and the big tank and you can't do anything but get caught/try again.

There's no finesse needed, so long as you're not already spotted. Just make sure you're out of the way of any other enemy, and just shoot close by them.

Top Bottom