• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Zakalwe

Banned
Always use first person camera when you're being pursued. That camera is dreadful.

Aside from that though, the driving in this game is excellent.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished it yesterday, with everything other than Riddler completed. I still have 100+ trophies to go... Plan is still to go through with that, but just saw you need to do NG+ for the platinum, which is locked on the hardest setting. Combined with the AR challenges, getting it will probably be way too time-consuming.

I do like the way it ended, and overall I prefer this game's story to City, really felt like
Batman: the Apocalypse

Main problem is the Arkham Knight:
if you're not versed in the comics, the reveal is going to do nothing for you, so probably like 90% of the players. A few flashbacks aren't enough to make people care and remember about a lost Robin. And even so, you can piece together at that instant that he's the Knight, because why introduce that character now? That reveal just won't carry any weight to most players. I knew who Jason Todd was and I still didn't care, just because he wasn't properly set up in this particular universe.

Did they get a new voice actor for Gordon this time? Because I thought he sounded horrible, way too rough/hoarse. I didn't even guess that was him during the opening monologue.

the game doesn't really have a lot of replay value compared to the first two, especially because of the drone/tank battles.

Did they get a new voice actor for Gordon this time? Because I thought he sounded horrible, way too rough/hoarse. I didn't even guess that was him during the opening monologue.

lol, it's the guy who plays Mike on Breaking Bad. i wonder why they didn't keep the previous actor.

Vyer

Jesus do Riddler races suck. The last one is like a big fuck you from the game as a reward for bothering to do the other ones.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
lol, it's the guy who plays Mike on Breaking Bad. i wonder why they didn't keep the previous actor.

What? Holy crap I just bad-mouthed the legendary Jonathan Banks. I'm a huge fan, and even worse I didn't even realize it was him here. I will say that he was a bad fit for Gordon though.

is this a smart ass question? if not, then yes. Many, many. Burnout series, NFS series, Forza series, and even things like Blur. AK's driving SUCKS

I agree with you. In fact I've been bitching about this in the batmobile thread.

I'm not sure if this was intentional or not. If they wanted to convey that a vehicle this size and weight could not possible handle like a racecar, then they've succeeded.

Otherwise, the batmobile just has inadequate brakes, tire grip and suspension too soft to be a racecar.

It's still cool and fun as hell though, I just don't enjoy fighting with the vehicle's weight and size every time I'm trying to chase down a car.

Sober

What? Holy crap I just bad-mouthed the legendary Jonathan Banks. I'm a huge fan, and even worse I didn't even realize it was him here. I will say that he was a bad fit for Gordon though.
I dunno if just some times the voice and face don't fit or it's just that I'm so used to knowing that's Johnathan Banks that I can't dissociate face and voice for some reason.

Because with John Noble as Scarecrow, man, that was amazing all around and I didn't have that issue.

I'd have to agree with you on that, although his voice is great and he's a great actor, it doesn't fit with Gordon.

MC Safety

Main problem is the Arkham Knight:
if you're not versed in the comics, the reveal is going to do nothing for you, so probably like 90% of the players. A few flashbacks aren't enough to make people care and remember about a lost Robin. And even so, you can piece together at that instant that he's the Knight, because why introduce that character now? That reveal just won't carry any weight to most players. I knew who Jason Todd was and I still didn't care, just because he wasn't properly set up in this particular universe.

The Knight thing was poorly done all around. I would have been more accepting if the Knight didn't keep popping up, or if he just went away after the big reveal.

I guess I'll put this anecdote in spoilers:

Nobody liked Jason Todd, not the fans and not DC. When DC Comics did the Death in the Family storyline, they set up 1-900 number so the fans could vote on Jason Todd's fate. The thing was, Jim Starlin, the storyline's writer said the vote was irrelevant. Either way, Jason Todd was going to be written out as Robin.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I was fine with pretty much all the VA work aside from Kevin Conroy. It's like he was specifically told to not give a single fuck. Tara Strong went too hard in the shrill Harley voice as well.

I was fine with pretty much all the VA work aside from Kevin Conroy. It's like he was specifically told to not give a single fuck. Tara Strong went too hard in the shrill Harley voice as well.

I prefer the guy from Origins for Batman, it just seems like Conroy is going through the motions now. I didn't mind Tara too much, but she did put it on a bit too strong.

Conroy seemed a lot better here compared to the other Rocksteady games. That may just be due to better writing and a much more interesting story beats.

Tara Strong was the only performance I was put off by here. What the heck happened? Arleen Sorkin was never going to be fully replicated, but Strong did fine in Arkham City. Here though, it was really grating, even for Harley.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The Knight thing was poorly done all around. I would have been more accepting if the Knight didn't keep popping up, or if he just went away after the big reveal.

I guess I'll put this anecdote in spoilers:

Nobody liked Jason Todd, not the fans and not DC. When DC Comics did the Death in the Family storyline, they set up 1-900 number so the fans could vote on Jason Todd's fate. The thing was, Jim Starlin, the storyline's writer said the vote was irrelevant. Either way, Jason Todd was going to be written out as Robin.

Yeah I know,
and Joker even made a reference to his popularity in the game. No one cared, so why would anyone care about the reveal?
Not their brightest moment this.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention his lackluster performance. "Yes Nightwing, another weapon stash for you and me to track down" I think he's only bested by Patrick Stewart doing the loading screen narration in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

SJRB

Gold Member
Conroy seemed a lot better here compared to the other Rocksteady games. That may just be due to better writing and a much more interesting story beats.

Tara Strong was the only performance I was put off by here. What the heck happened? Arleen Sorkin was never going to be fully replicated, but Strong did fine in Arkham City. Here though, it was really grating, even for Harley.

Yeah I think overall Conroy did a good job, he sounded more engaged than he did in Arkham City, where he mostly sounds bored out of his mind. Some scenes were iffy but I guess Conroy got tired at certain points and I can't really blame the guy. Batman sounds real menacing at times, and in other cases remarkably reassuring/comforting [when rescuing hostages, for example].

John Noble absolutely steals the show, though. His Scarecrow was nothing short of amazing. Perfect casting right there.

Ironically,
Troy Baker
was fucking awful but I guess that's more because his character sucks so much.

Jolkien

Just finished it. What a mediocre ending. Didn't bother going for the 'perfect ending' I just watched it, glad I didn't waste my time with all the collectathon.

Gameplay was fun, way too much bat mobile combat though.

7/10 for me.

Sober

Oh yeah I forgot to mention his lackluster performance. "Yes Nightwing, another weapon stash for you and me to track down" I think he's only bested by Patrick Stewart doing the loading screen narration in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.
Robert Carlyle, actually. But yeah, all of that voicework in that was probably worse than Conroy in the Arkham games.

Fuck these games and their riddler trophy shit. No, I'm not spending 10 more hours hunting down every dumbfuck trophy. So does this mean I get the bad ending? How many endings are there?

Jinjo

Fuck these games and their riddler trophy shit. No, I'm not spending 10 more hours hunting down every dumbfuck trophy. So does this mean I get the bad ending? How many endings are there?

The riddler stuff in the first game was fun but it's been bullshit in all the games after that. There's not even a point to it.

Game also just completely hardlocked my PS4, had to take out the plug, wouldn't even turn off normally. Nice.

Robert Carlyle, actually. But yeah, all of that voicework in that was probably worse than Conroy in the Arkham games.

nah robert carlyle voiced gabriel, patrick stewart narrated the game though.

and carlyle in lords of shadow series >>>> the entire arkham series voice cast except for hamill. carlyle put in work.

conroy especially is the worst in these games. dude sleepwalks through the series. a shame since he was one of the best batman voices. the game itself is great though, and i thought tim drake and scarecrow did pretty good.

Roussow

Any good guide to Riddler trophies? Not just marked maps, either, more specific locations and possibly puzzle solutions.

I've done around 120 so far, and wrapped up the main story and every other side mission -- it's just becoming a bit of a grind to hunt them down, I enjoy the puzzles, but finding them is a fucking pain at this point.

Sojgat

The riddler stuff in the first game was fun but it's been bullshit in all the games after that. There's not even a point to it.

Game also just completely hardlocked my PS4, had to take out the plug, wouldn't even turn off normally. Nice.

Was having this issue as well. It happened twice early on for me. Rebuilt the database and it hasn't been a problem since.

Akai__

I despise collectibles, because I think most of them are just lame game design. In this game, it was tied to a game ending, which is really not a good idea for the general audience. How many people actually botter collecting stuff? I can't imagine it's that many people.

Anyways, I had fun collecting them, because I really like puzzles and it wasn't nearly as bad as in Arkham City. I agree, that they could have lowered the number significantly or tied the 100% ending to actual Riddler Missions. People going onto YouTube searching for the ending is not what you want, especially if it's your last entry in this series.

Zakalwe

Banned
I found Scarecrow's VA to be a little too similar to Strange from City, it had a very similar feel and tone. It felt too familiar at times.

QaaQer

Too many systems in the game, and yeah the Bmobile kinda wrecks the game for me. I guess I just wanted more asylum and city combat/gliding.

The car challenges and combat sequences don't make me feel like the batman, just a scrub drone pilot. Whereas something like the sasz phone challenges totally worked in city. The melee combat also is a bit much, I liked the simplicity of asylum.

+ no 70s batman skin, I fucking hate Nolan Batman aesthetic. Why would anyone move back to that dour hellhole after being evacuated? At least the game isn't quite as steroidal as origins. I wonder if Alfred pops Batman's back acne.

Hope I can get 12 my money back @ gs.

Not sure why people have issues with the melee combat, I think it's the best it's ever been in this series. It's a good thing the enemies are more aggressive since you have so many more tools. Game needed more environmental takedowns - those were satisfying every time.

If anything, the main campaign didn't have enough melee fighting sequences and definitely did not have enough dual combat sequences.

Zakalwe

Banned
Not sure why people have issues with the melee combat, I think it's the best it's ever been in this series. It's a good thing the enemies are more aggressive since you have so many more tools. Game needed more environmental takedowns - those were satisfying every time.

If anything, the main campaign didn't have enough melee fighting sequences and definitely did not have enough dual combat sequences.

The main problem I have with the combat is the camera (which can be annoying at times, with enemies charging at you from out of nowhere, or striking you without much warning) and Batman whiffing his strikes.

At first the amount of special enemies and combos were a little daunting, but after exploring the system fully I really enjoy it. Batman has so many options, it's really fun mixing it up.

I read people criticise the combat for being typical AAA easymode, but I rarely see anyone fully explore the system. I've not seen one interesting video on youtube so far, it's just people using the bare minimum to get by. I don't understand that kind of play-style, seems so boring. Someone likened this game's combat to you being a fight choreographer for a movie, why would you want to choreograph the dullest fight sequence ever?

Alienous

The main problem I have with the combat is the camera (which can be annoying at times, with enemies charging at you from out of nowhere, or striking you without much warning) and Batman whiffing his strikes.

At first the amount of special enemies and combos were a little daunting, but after exploring the system fully I really enjoy it. Batman has so many options, it's really fun mixing it up.

I read people criticise the combat for being typical AAA easymode, but I rarely see anyone fully explore the system. I've not seen one interesting video on youtube so far, it's just people using the bare minimum to get by. I don't understand that kind of play-style, seems so boring. Someone likened this game's combat to you being a fight choreographer for a movie, why would you want to choreograph the dullest fight sequence ever?

I do think the amount and frequency of the special enemies takes away from that 'fight choreographer' thing you're talking about.

It constrains your options, and allows you to be less inventive with how you take people down. In Arkham City the challenge was never "I've got to stun this guy, then disable this person's electric field, watch out for tacklers" etc, it was "Ok, how am I going to do this fight as stylishly as possible?". So you could be a bit more creative and 'freeflowing', I found.

I find with Arkham Knight I have to, more that in City, evade and play defensively. There's a lot of people to mentally keep track of, unique enemies with different abilities, enemies that can interact with other enemies. But when I do something like the dual-play and it feels a lot more like City. Less thinking, more "I'm going to look so cool taking these guys down".

Sojgat

I'm finding the things that were messing up my flow to not be inconsistent. You just have to work out the new conditions for each enemy attack. For example, I think Batman will whiff against the red charging enemies, if you aren't in freeflow focus. So you have to be mindful and wait to evade over them or just hit them with a batarang. Quickfire gadgets also require more strict directional input. If you're not aiming in the direction of a specific enemy, the gadget will likely miss. The entire system seems to have been retooled so that the player can't just rely on the same safe tricks from the previous games.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the ground takedown off a cape stun is though. Did they take it out just so people weren't finishing every fight with it or am I just not doing it right?

Ban Puncher

I've got about 95% total completion rate, long finished the main story, and wouldn't of known about the
ice grenade
unless I stumbled across it mentioned in this thread.

That seems kind of dumb.

Sojgat

I've got about 95% total completion rate, long finished the main story, and wouldn't of known about the
ice grenade
unless I stumbled across it mentioned in this thread.

That seems kind of dumb.

It is dumb.

I finished my first playthrough of the story without ever picking it up.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I complained about bat tank quite harshly and got distracted...

I feel compelled to add, on the positive side, that the
Joker was goddamned hilarious
in this game. The writing in general wasn't that great, but anything to do
with Joker was just awesome. So funny

Well done to those responsible for that.

Drek

Not very happy with this game and will be trading it in first thing tomorrow. Reasons:

1. The Batmobile supplants the core action/stealth gameplay by far too much. My wife was a bigger fan of the previous Arkham games than I was and she was incredibly excited for this. She does not like racing/driving games at all. Turns out her favorite video game series decided to switch genres to the one genre she has absolutely zero interest in. Great.

2. The Batmobile is quite possibly the single worst handling vehicle in a game I have played in recent memory. Literally every car in GTAV handles better, including joke vehicles and intentional clunkers. Every recent racing game handles orders of magnitude better. The tires lack grip, the brakes are ineffective as anything other than a power slide mechanic, the ass end is too heavy, the acceleration in both forward and reverse is over-torqued and the steering is a hot mess. If it literally just cribbed the feel of Burnout Paradise I'd probably actually really enjoy the game, but instead it feels like Burnout Paradise if the roads were covered in Vaseline, your brakes were cut, and the car had a transmission fault keeping them locked in 3rd gear or higher.

3. The controls are simply poorly thought out. Why is the tank set as hold L2? Why isn't it a toggle, or at least an optional configuration to a toggle? If it was a toggle they could have put it on square and let brake/reverse be on L2 like damn near every racing game does now, allowing for analog braking. Then maybe we'd have real stopping power on the brakes.

4. Beyond the Shitmobile, the presentation is seriously flawed. Scarecrow sounds like Hugo Strange, to the point where on my way to a storyline mission I heard audio cut in and thought "hey, what the hell is Hugo Strange doing in this game?" nope, it was the story mission. Batman feels incredibly off. I'm wondering if a part of this is the lack of having the Joker as the primary foil. Conroy's work feels weak and I suspect it comes from not having Hamil's Joker to play off of. The tone set by the game feels like the standard grimdark you get from so many other AAA titles now, not like something uniquely Batman. Also, the fact that I'm running over pedestrians and crushing everything in the city with the Batmobile is pretty goddamn out of character. Won't be much of a city to return to after stopping the Scarecrow anyway at this rate.

What' worse than the story presentation is the tutorials, or lack thereof. Everything is introduced in-gameplay with tiny on-screen text in quick bursts, or concepts aren't explained at all. Tank AR missions give you no clue about how scoring is valued for example, so it took looking it up online to figure out that not getting hit is grossly more important than speed or critical hits. I don't like hand holding in my games, but stop assuming that I read the incredibly small text you flashed on the screen in the middle of a fight, driving segment, etc.. They completely changed the primary game play of the franchise with Knight so they need to acknowledge that these new mechanics need real introduction.

5. Navigating a large, dense world with almost zero visual cues other than living in detective mode is a fucking chore. So many of the secondary objectives feel like a bad game of hide n' seek where you search around for an inordinate amount of time to finally find what you're looking for, then engage in 10 seconds of tedious combat, and get to repeat again for the next thing you need to find. Firefighter rescue missions are a great example of this.

6. The world is empty. It is a gigantic, poorly designed driving circuit. It feels like playing a PS2 era GTA game in how little you actually enter any buildings and do something other than just driving around from point A to point B.

I actually thought the additions to the combat system were pretty cool. The expanded Waynetech trees and the interface design for it are fantastic. The game is undeniably pretty, and the scale of the city is quite impressive. Unfortunately Rocksteady basically changed genres here into something that doesn't feel like a Batman game, doesn't feel like an action/stealth game, and instead feels like a half baked driving/car combat game with really polished action or stealth instances at some of the destinations.

Maybe they should have left it at City and made a new game instead of going back to the well yet again. Maybe they just fell in love with the idea of the Batmobile. Maybe they felt all this was needed to check the "Open World AAA" box and go for those GTA sales. Who knows, but whatever the reason this game is, for my wife and I at least, the most disappointing video game release in a VERY long time.

Zakalwe

Banned
I do think the amount and frequency of the special enemies takes away from that 'fight choreographer' thing you're talking about.

It constrains your options, and allows you to be less inventive with how you take people down. In Arkham City the challenge was never "I've got to stun this guy, then disable this person's electric field, watch out for tacklers" etc, it was "Ok, how am I going to do this fight as stylishly as possible?". So you could be a bit more creative and 'freeflowing', I found.

I find with Arkham Knight I have to, more that in City, evade and play defensively. There's a lot of people to mentally keep track of, unique enemies with different abilities, enemies that can interact with other enemies. But when I do something like the dual-play and it feels a lot more like City. Less thinking, more "I'm going to look so cool taking these guys down".

You have multiple ways to take down all of these enemies, for every new type introduced you have a few way to deal with them. I've never felt constrained.

The variety of enemy types also means the player has to be engaged more, which is an improvement over the former systems imo. You can still create stylish combat encounters, you just have to think about it a little more.

I'm finding the things that were messing up my flow to not be inconsistent. You just have to work out the new conditions for each enemy attack. For example, I think Batman will whiff against the red charging enemies, if you aren't in freeflow focus. So you have to be mindful and wait to evade over them or just hit them with a batarang. Quickfire gadgets also require more strict directional input. If you're not aiming in the direction of a specific enemy, the gadget will likely miss. The entire system seems to have been retooled so that the player can't just rely on the same safe tricks from the previous games.

It's not just the red charging enemies he whiffs against, the minimal distance required to land a hit before you build up momentum sometimes feels inconsistent. I'm fine with the aiming of quickfire gadgets, but the camera and whiffing can be annoying.

I'm not sure what causes it exactly, maybe it is a fault with something I'm doing.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the ground takedown off a cape stun is though. Did they take it out just so people weren't finishing every fight with it or am I just not doing it right?
Which one was that again?

Zakalwe

Banned
2. The Batmobile is quite possibly the single worst handling vehicle in a game I have played in recent memory. Literally every car in GTAV handles better, including joke vehicles and intentional clunkers. Every recent racing game handles orders of magnitude better. The tires lack grip, the brakes are ineffective as anything other than a power slide mechanic, the ass end is too heavy, the acceleration in both forward and reverse is over-torqued and the steering is a hot mess. If it literally just cribbed the feel of Burnout Paradise I'd probably actually really enjoy the game, but instead it feels like Burnout Paradise if the roads were covered in Vaseline, your brakes were cut, and the car had a transmission fault keeping them locked in 3rd gear or higher.

The Batmobile handles beautifully. The only thing that's an issue is the stupid cinematic chase camera that engages when you're being pursued, when you make a large jump, or when you drive on a wall or ceiling. First person camera fixes this, but not everyone enjoys that view.

Really don't get these complaints at all.

3. The controls are simply poorly thought out. Why is the tank set as hold L2? Why isn't it a toggle, or at least an optional configuration to a toggle? If it was a toggle they could have put it on square and let brake/reverse be on L2 like damn near every racing game does now, allowing for analog braking. Then maybe we'd have real stopping power on the brakes.

You can set it to toggle in the gameplay settings option. This moves break to L2.

1. It should have been default, I agree.
2. Gamepay settings is a ridiculous place to put the option.

-

I agree that SC sounds too much like strange, but the rest of your critiques I couldn't disagree with more.

Sojgat

Which one was that again?

Super cape stun the enemy so they fall down, and then do a ground takedown (batman would leap on them and do a ground pound).

It had the highest multiplier (except for knife dodge takedown maybe) so it was always good to use as the last move in a fight .

I can't get it to work in Arkham Knight. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or if it's been removed.

Zakalwe

Banned
Super cape stun the enemy so they fall down, and then do a ground takedown (batman would leap on them and do a ground pound).

It had the highest multiplier (except for knife dodge takedown maybe) so it was always good to use as the last move in a fight .

I can't get it to work in Arkham Knight. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or if it's been removed.

If you stun x3 they'll fly backwards and land on the floor, then you can press L2+triangle (or equivalent) and ground smash. Probably not the same thing...

Drek

Hmm, it probably just isn't the game for you. A lot of your complaints aren't the common ones.

Maybe, but that's pretty funny as the first two (and to some degree the spin off) absolutely were. They were great games that I actually went back and replayed after beating.

That said, I'm not going to blind myself to the fact that I'm not having fun with the game just because I enjoyed the previous entries in the series or because I'm a fan of the character.

It also has nothing to do with the genre choices as I really enjoy almost every quality racing game (arcade or sim) and love car combat games. This just feels like a bad one to me. One with a slick veneer and a noteworthy IP attached, but still poor gameplay at it's core.

GRaider81

Just finished.

Great game made lesser with the over used batmobile stuff. If they could have had a better balance it would have been much better imo.

I still enjoyed the game immensely.

Sojgat

If you stun x3 they'll fly backwards and land on the floor, then you can press L2+triangle (or equivalent) and ground smash. Probably not the same thing...

R2+triangle, but that's the one.

I can do the move during a fight, but never as the final finishing move in fight.

Batman just does that half-hearted little crouch jump and I lose my combo.

Zakalwe

Banned
R2+triangle, but that's the one.

I can do the move during a fight, but never as the final finishing move in fight.

Batman just does that half-hearted little crouch jump and I lose my combo.

Yep, typo soz. R2.

Just tried it in game, I can do it consistently while maintaining my combo. Not sure what to suggest...

Top Bottom