• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

lcap

Guys, I've just finished the game but,
still have the trophies to unlock the 100% ending. Im currently missing the top left gadget, what did I miss?

Ditto, really.

The thing is, I know we're talking about subjective experiences here, and I'm willing to admit that those boss battles aren't the strongest (in fact, I already did).

But I have a really hard time believing that anyone thinks the repetitive, barely varied nature of most of the gameplay in Arkham Knight constitutes a solid gameplay experience.

And for the record, I'm still playing the game because it's fun to play as Batman as designed by Rocksteady. But I absolutely dread having to get into the Batmobile, and I'm now stuck picking away at those damned mine missions and the take back the streets roadblock missions or whatever. It's drudgery at its worst, and it's design below what Rocksteady has done in the past, in my opinion.

The thing is that I could say the same about the Titan battles of Asylum, and we'll be on a loop.

.J.

Banned
Then you don't find Arkham Asylum, a game that consists of two types of basic gameplay that don't evolve throughout the game, to be a solid gameplay experience.

And if the Batmobile is so excruciating for you, quit doing the Batmobile side missions. Are you a reviewer or something? Just do the stuff that feels like "playing as Batman" for you.

Maybe I'm misreading your tone, but you seem really upset and defensive about criticisms of this game. Maybe I want to be able to experience everything a game has an offer without feeling like it's a chore. The criticism is valid, and "just don't do it then" doesn't negate the criticism.

.J.

Banned
The thing is that I could say the same about the Titan battles of Asylum, and we'll be on a loop.

I do agree about those Titan battles, but they were nowhere near as pervasive as the Batmobile stuff in this game, at least not by my recollection.

I do agree about those Titan battles, but they were nowhere near as pervasive as the Batmobile stuff in this game, at least not by my recollection.

The thing is that I consider the tank battles just invasive towards the end of the game, and I also consider those horrible, but before that I think they were easy and entertaining. Titans battles were always shitty to me so is pretty much even in my opinion. What I think is that almost everything else is excellent in Knight.

Maybe I'm misreading your tone, but you seem really upset and defensive about criticisms of this game. Maybe I want to be able to experience everything a game has an offer without feeling like it's a chore. The criticism is valid, and "just don't do it then" doesn't negate the criticism.

I'm saying singling out Arkham Knight for having repetitive gameplay compared to past games in the series doesn't make sense when Arkham Asylum is the worst in that regard. If that game's gameplay was enjoyable for you, its sequels have only been a step up, as they should be.

The suggestion to skip the stuff you hate isn't an attempt to negate criticism (that's easily doable by actually comparing specific aspects of Asylum to Knight). It's just advice — you say that you are "now stuck picking away at those damned mine missions and the take back the streets roadblock missions or whatever. It's drudgery at its worst" and it sounds like you are playing it all despite hating it. You're not "stuck" with anything, and anyone who considers they're "stuck" with optional content either has some kind of completionist compulsion or is a reviewer doing their job.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
I'm saying singling out Arkham Knight for having repetitive gameplay compared to past games in the series doesn't make sense when Arkham Asylum is the worst in that regard. If that game's gameplay was enjoyable for you, its sequels have only been a step up, as they should be.

The suggestion to skip the stuff you hate isn't an attempt to negate criticism (that's easily doable by actually comparing specific aspects of Asylum to Knight). It's just advice — you say that you are "now stuck picking away at those damned mine missions and the take back the streets roadblock missions or whatever. It's drudgery at its worst" and it sounds like you are playing it all despite hating it. You're not "stuck" with anything, and anyone who considers they're "stuck" with optional content either has some kind of completionist compulsion or is a reviewer doing their job.

@Spring-Loaded: I second this suggestion. If you don't find enjoyment in the sidemissions, play the main story. Just do that. And then, you may find the side missions a bit more compelling. Even if you don't, at least you didn't burn out on the mechanics before the core story is done.

Permanently A

Just finished the main story, really enjoyed the game. Story was a bit on the weak side but the gameplay was really fun. Even the Batmobile stuff was enjoyable for me, I like how they kept switching it up from stealth segments to puzzle segments to boss fights. It does feel like there was a surprising lack of normal fights though - maybe because they're a lot shorter than Batmobile segements? Not sure. Maybe the rest of the missions will give me my fix.

Chitown B

Fuck that Cloudburst Tank. A real shit mission.

I'm really not impressed with the actual gameplay in the game.

I'm on this now, on normal

so you
shoot the cloudburst tank's vents or whatever - every time you do, it's able to immediately turn and shoot you, which makes it's impossible to start driving away, and then the whole screen zooms out to you can't steer, and he's just as fast as the batmoble. I'm so done.

Just finished the main story, really enjoyed the game. Story was a bit on the weak side but the gameplay was really fun. Even the Batmobile stuff was enjoyable for me, I like how they kept switching it up from stealth segments to puzzle segments to boss fights. It does feel like there was a surprising lack of normal fights though - maybe because they're a lot shorter than Batmobile segements? Not sure. Maybe the rest of the missions will give me my fix.

The Penguin and militia infantry side missions will give you more regular fights.

so you
shoot the cloudburst tank's vents or whatever - every time you do, it's able to immediately turn and shoot you, which makes it's impossible to start driving away, and then the whole screen zooms out to you can't steer, and he's just as fast as the batmoble. I'm so done.

Go into combat mode and use that to turn around quicker, then just floor it.

Moments like there's are why I liked using the default Batmobile controls (hold, rather than toggle). It made switching really quickly much easier.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I must've went through like 50 retries before finding out the lure was the best way to make it for the timer. And even then the starting spawns you get sometimes suck where you kill one and then you get sandwiched between a new spawn and the big tank and you can't do anything but get caught/try again.

Thats exactly what happened to me. I had my best run ruined by that. I miraculously got four and was closing in on a fifth one within a 1 minute window by being completely lucky.

So I was waiting for it to pass by so I could scan it. It just stopped and waited a bit to move. That delay was enough to get trapped and seen.

very very very frustrating.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Arkham Asylum may have had repetitive gameplay but it was FUN gameplay.

Arkham Knight's wasn't always fun.

munchie64

thanks man

Yep, I can rest easy knowing I don't need to pick this up then. Instead, I'll just focus on DMC4:SE (^___^)
Thank you for ignoring my reply.

Enjoy your shitty DMC game. It sucks.
I should probably add that I'm joking. DMC4 is great. But a single opinion should not influence anyone.

Permanently A

so you

Make sure you go into game options and switch from hold to toggle. This will make R1 switch between tank and car mode and the car will control normally, L2 brake and R2 accelerate

On the radar, look for the small bump on the tank which indicates the Cloudburst's spot. Its a big orange circle on the tank, can't miss it. Position yourself so that when the radar is off of the Cloudburst, you come in and shoot it. You can click R3 to zoom aim. If you've upgraded the Cannon's rate of fire you can get two shots in. As soon as you've got your shots in, switch to car mode and FLOOR IT. Hold Triangle to boost away. Just keep driving and make as many turns as you can to shake him off (hold Square to drift around corners and get more boost fuel). After 3-5 turns you should lose him. Rinse and repeat until done.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Make sure you go into game options and switch from hold to toggle. This will make R1 switch between tank and car mode and the car will control normally, L2 brake and R2 accelerate

On the radar, look for the small bump on the tank which indicates the Cloudburst's spot. Its a big orange circle on the tank, can't miss it. Position yourself so that when the radar is off of the Cloudburst, you come in and shoot it. You can click R3 to zoom aim. If you've upgraded the Cannon's rate of fire you can get two shots in. As soon as you've got your shots in, switch to car mode and FLOOR IT. Hold Triangle to boost away. Just keep driving and make as many turns as you can to shake him off (hold Square to drift around corners and get more boost fuel). After 3-5 turns you should lose him. Rinse and repeat until done.

LOL. You make it seem soooooo easy. Boy was that part shit....but whatever its done.

Ashtar

I'm about half way through the main storyline and this is the leading contender for game of the year it's just so smooth and polished and fun to play. It's a truly remarkable game. It's just filled to the brim with cool stuff. I really think rocksteady took the criticism of arkham city to heart and created a much tighter experience and the game is all the better for it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So I finally finished and got my platinum. For me this was probably the 3rd best Arkham game.

I rank City the best, Origins second best, followed by this one. Asylum is my least favorite, but I still consider it fantastic

I may write up a review or I may not.

Liked:
1. A Batman game.
2. Excellent use of secondary characters.
3. Excellent sidequests
4. More varied predator encounters.

Didn't like:
1. Too much fucking batmobile. Should have decreased it by half and I think it would have been MUCH better.
2. AR challenges were an insulting substitute for challenge maps.
3. Combat wasn't as refined as it was in Arkham City or the Arkham Origins challenge maps (not during the actual game though). Camera was bad, enemy targeting during freeflow was way frustratingly off at times and frequent whiffing on attacks. I can't begin to count how many times a combo was ruined thanks to bad targeting. "Sure Batman, go and attack the electric guy eventhough there are four other enemies vulnerable to a strike" It wasn't game ruining but it really got on my nerves and happened in about half of the encounters. Thats not to say it never happened in AC, but it was much much much
rarer.

I still give the game an 8/10, because when its good its really good. The story kept me engaged and I always wanted to see what happened next. Didn't like the ending all that much though.
Unfortunately I am tempted to sell the game now, while its value is at its highest, because the batmobile sections really hampered my enjoyment and as of right now I don't feel I will have any desire to do another playthrough any time soon. I am just afraid that the DLC will give us more batmobile. The lack of true challenge maps is also a major disappointment. I was playing the AC and AO challenge maps many months after release because I got so much enjoyment out of them. The AR challenges were unfun and a pretty miserable section of the game.

Davide

At the end of Perfect Crime:
Got up to 120x streaks, simply cannot take down any of the pig's fighters after he starts throwing the knives. Am I doing something wrong or is it bugged?

Arkham Asylum may have had repetitive gameplay but it was FUN gameplay.

Arkham Knight's wasn't always fun.

Okay.

Since "it's fun/unfun" is the worst route to take in a discussion, I'll instead say: a five minute sequence being repetitive — w/o evolution throughout the game — is not worse than the entire bread and butter of a game being repetitive and simple with no evolution throughout. If you want to say you enjoyed the latter over the former, go ahead. But it's silly trying to spin Asylum's gameplay shortcomings as somehow being forgivable, then trying to say its sequels are guilty of those gaming sins.

Got up to 120x streaks, simply cannot take down any of the pig's fighters after he starts throwing the knives. Am I doing something wrong or is it bugged?

You have to do combo or ground takedowns on them since they
don't feel pain

Nori Chan

Special Combo takedown? They're unable to be knocked out besides doing that

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Okay.

Since "it's fun/unfun" is the worst route to take in a discussion, I'll instead say: a five minute sequence being repetitive — w/o evolution throughout the game — is not worse than the entire bread and butter of a game being repetitive and simple with no evolution throughout. If you want to say you enjoyed the latter over the former, go ahead. But it's silly trying to spin Asylum's gameplay shortcomings as somehow being forgivable, then trying to say its sequels are guilty of those gaming sins.

But here is the difference:
Arkham Asylum never reached a point where I wanted to quit playing, because of certain sections. I am certainly not the only one who feels that way.

but whatever, it is what it is.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
So just finished 100%-ing the game. Final verdict. I loved the story, hated the overuse of the Batmobile (it really felt like Batmobile: Arkham Batmobile for the last third of the game), loved the team-ups (the final
Riddler battle with Catwoman
was amazing, but all the team-ups were so much fun, I was sad when those segments ended), and I was generally happy with the production design, but I thought the soundtrack didn't live up to the gorgeousness of the game (Origins had a much better OST and that wasn't even one of the Rocksteady games). Glad I pre-ordered, even though the PC port was so terrible.

I would love a sequel where you get to team-up again (or even better full co-op). The partner battles were really a highlight of the game for me.

I got the 100% ending. Definitely not the best Batman game, but still the only path I could have seen them take without making more of the same game.

About the ending
I don't get it and I don't really like it at all, but I guess all the stories in all of the Arkham games were kind of shit

Chitown B

The Penguin and militia infantry side missions will give you more regular fights.

Go into combat mode and use that to turn around quicker, then just floor it.

Moments like there's are why I liked using the default Batmobile controls (hold, rather than toggle). It made switching really quickly much easier.

doesn't matter. there's no pause between the time you shoot him and him starting chase. Also, you can't choose where you happen to catch him looking the other way so you can lock on, and the lock on necessitates you being like 5 feet from him. You can't plan to not be near a bunch of buildings, and then you're just stuck in a corridor as the camera FORCES YOU to steer from afar. I mean, who the F thought of that?

But here is the difference:
Arkham Asylum never reached a point where I wanted to quit playing, because of certain sections. I am certainly not the only one who feels that way.

but whatever, it is what it is.

And what it is is your opinion.

You saying "it's unfun" means nothing to me and I don't know how else to respond when all you're doing is giving your personal reaction to the gameplay — it doesn't refute or even address what I'm saying. Maybe the because the drone stuff is a fraction of the gameplay, it sticks out more to some people than the entirety of AA being repetitive? That's just a guess, since I can't see any objective way anything in AK is more repetitive than AA and I don't share the sentiment.

doesn't matter. there's no pause between the time you shoot him and him starting chase. Also, you can't choose where you happen to catch him looking the other way so you can lock on, and the lock on necessitates you being like 5 feet from him. You can't plan to not be near a bunch of buildings, and then you're just stuck in a corridor as the camera FORCES YOU to steer from afar. I mean, who the F thought of that?

You don't have to be that close, and you have a moment to start getting out of there.

Do you have "predator awareness" (or wahtever the option's called) turned on or off?

Chitown B

And what it is is your opinion.

You saying "it's unfun" means nothing to me and I don't know how else to respond when all you're doing is giving your personal reaction to the gameplay — it doesn't refute or even address what I'm saying. Maybe the because the drone stuff is a fraction of the gameplay, it sticks out more to some people than the entirety of AA being repetitive? That's just a guess, since I can't see any objective way anything in AK is more repetitive than AA and I don't share the sentiment.

in the main story, the drone stuff is about half the game. Every other main story section had a "kill these 5 drones" section.

in the main story, the drone stuff is about half the game. Every other main story section had a "kill these 5 drones" section.

I truly, truly doubt it's half the game. It shows up a lot, but if you took a minute-by-minute count, it wouldn't be 50% of the gameplay.

I can't speak more to that because I played through the side missions which consist of a lot of non-tank gameplay. I also didn't blaze through teh game as quickly as I could, so my perception of the gameplay distribution may be different. "half" is almost certainly an exaggeration, but oh well. Even if it were, that drone stuff in the main game is serious five minutes at a time, tops. Unless you die repeatedly.

Naite

Finally 100%'d the game. Random thoughts:

• While I hated the Batmobile segments initially, I grew to kinda like them, then I hated them again once the Cobra tanks showed up. I appreciate what Rocksteady was trying to do with these enemies but I found them too tedious for my tastes. I don't even know what to think about how
    Deathstroke
    was handled.
  • Having Batmobile's accelerate and Tank mode's fire button be the same has messed me up so many times during Cobra tank sections.
  • I love the implementation of your surroundings changing off camera and the
    Joker. I didn't realize til late last night that signs and statues randomly turn into Joker when you look at them again and just starting sight seeing to see what else changes.
  • I was a bit sad when I put
    the fire chief in the same cell as all the other major villains, and even more sad after what Deathstroke said when I put him in the cell later on.
  • I've felt mostly burned out doing the same repetitive things in open world games, but for some reason I never really felt that in this game.
  • I sorely miss challenge maps because there were some really interesting predator encounters and most of the ones in the AR challenges are lacking.
  • Predator encounters felt a bit too easy too since you had a lot more tools and most of them are way too open to easily run away to safety.
  • This'll probably be the first Arkham game where I don't bother with new game+, mostly because of the PC performance issues and I'm not too eager to do those later tank portions of the game a second time.

Chitown B

I truly, truly doubt it's half the game. It shows up a lot, but if you took a minute-by-minute count, it wouldn't be 50% of the gameplay.

I can't speak more to that because I played through the side missions which consist of a lot of non-tank gameplay. I also didn't blaze through teh game as quickly as I could, so my perception of the gameplay distribution may be different. "half" is almost certainly an exaggeration, but oh well. Even if it were, that drone stuff in the main game is serious five minutes at a time, tops. Unless you die repeatedly.

I'm also not blazing through the game. I have a lot of the side story stuff done. I've been avoiding the main story because every mission or so at the end it's a stupid tank battle and I'm sick of it.

At this point I'm on the
AK battle with the 4 vents and the second I shoot him he does immediately run after me and lock on. I can barely steer because the camera zooms out in an already very dark game, and I'm constantly running into buildings trying to desperately dodge missles and lasers. I always inevitably run straight on into a wall, he catches up instantly and I've gotten shot 2-3 times before I can get going again. The fight is BS, there's no excuse for it.

I'm also not blazing through the game. I have a lot of the side story stuff done. I've been avoiding the main story because every mission or so at the end it's a stupid tank battle and I'm sick of it.

At this point I'm on the
AK battle with the 4 vents and the second I shoot him he does immediately run after me and lock on. I can barely steer because the camera zooms out in an already very dark game, and I'm constantly running into buildings trying to desperately dodge missles and lasers. I always inevitably run straight on into a wall, he catches up instantly and I've gotten shot 2-3 times before I can get going again. The fight is BS, there's no excuse for it.

You dreading every moment in tank combat doesn't make it half the game.

All I can say here is to turn around as quickly as you can and try not to run into stuff. And since you didn't answer: check whether you have "predator awareness" turned on in the pause menu. I've seen someone say that affected how quickly drone tanks responded to spotting the player.

yes, you do. otherwise it won't lock on. And yes I have predator awareness on.

You're fucked. Give up.

I'm not sure I enjoyed the way this game ended.

The way they structured it made it feel unsatisfying. I might I will probably activate Knightfall but a lot of those side missions are terrible.

They should've given you more closure before having to do all the side stuff.

Chitown B

You dreading every moment in tank combat doesn't make it half the game.

All I can say here is to turn around as quickly as you can and try not to run into stuff. And since you didn't answer: check whether you have "predator awareness" turned on in the pause menu. I've seen someone say that affected how quickly drone tanks responded to spotting the player.

You're fucked. Give up.

allow me to demonstrate how fucked up this shit is:

http://xboxclips.com/Shadow+XBL/ddbd3a83-55b9-4029-bf15-d99c064e5354

The Argus

May have been said a million times already in this topic, I'm trying to avoid spoilers so please forgive me, but holy shit the destruction in this game is awesome. The way the Batmobile chews through concrete and buildings. Sure taking out the corner of a building is superficial but it adds this incredible perceived weight to what's happening. Pulling down walls and listening to the cable strain— divine.

Like I said, there's no hope. Give up.

May have been said a million times already in this topic, I'm trying to avoid spoilers so please forgive me, but holy shit the destruction in this game is awesome. The way the Batmobile chews through concrete and buildings. Sure taking out the corner of a building is superficial but it adds this incredible perceived weight to what's happening. Pulling down walls and listening to the cable strain— divine.

It was a good decision. It adds much to the feeling of weight for the vehicle. The sense of speed seems a bit slow at times, but at full speed and in first-person view, it matches the appropriate sense of power.

Chitown B

You repeatedly drove into walls and skidded every corner you took. Something sure is fucked up here but I'm not sure it's the game.

yeah, because the controls are fucked when you're being pursued, since it's zoomed way the fuck out and completely changes your visual area and how you react and move which you've been using the entire game. Also it's a pipe, there shouldn't be edges to hit. I'm skidding because I'm driving as fast as possible to get away from the gigantic tank trying to lock onto me.

luxarific

Nork unification denier

The destructability is definitely cool, but I hate the way that the game areas "heal" themselves just a few minutes after you've gone through (trees come back, traffic barrels, dividers regenerate, etc.). Some damage should be permanent.

yeah, because the controls are fucked when you're being pursued, since it's zoomed way the fuck out and completely changes your visual area and how you react and move which you've been using the entire game. Also it's a pipe, there shouldn't be edges to hit. I'm skidding because I'm driving as fast as possible to get away from the gigantic tank trying to lock onto me.

It still controls the same though. It's so weird watching this footage because I rarely got touched by anything he shot biut you're getting tagged non-stop. It's probably a sign you need to just abandon the game. It's all just tank stuff anyway. You won't miss anything.

The destructability is definitely cool, but I hate the way that the game areas "heal" themselves just a few minutes after you've gone through (trees come back, traffic barrels, dividers regenerate, etc.). Some damage should be permanent.

There'd be nothing left eventually though. It'd prefer it to always repopulate with scenery.

And I'll say, fuck you. Don't bother responding to my posts.

Oh, so there is hope?

Permanently A

Oh shit, you didn't even get to the
second part of the fight.

abandon all hope (but seriously, just wait for the radar to pass over the part you want to lock on. Then you have plenty of time to lock onto it before it scans 360 degrees back to where you are. As soon as its done locking on flip around and haul ass. Making turns will help you shake him off. And theres no time limit or anything, wait for him to be in a good position for you to escape before engaging)

Chitown B

Oh shit, you didn't even get to the
second part of the fight.

abandon all hope (but seriously, just wait for the radar to pass over the part you want to lock on. Then you have plenty of time to lock onto it before it scans 360 degrees back to where you are. As soon as its done locking on flip around and haul ass. Making turns will help you shake him off. And theres no time limit or anything, wait for him to be in a good position for you to escape before engaging)

yeah, thanks. I know all that, but the issue is the driving - everything gets wonky in zoomed out mode and you seem to have different controls. It's constantly compensating for being zoomed out but then it you get in a tight area it zooms in and then back out, and then in again and this throws off driving controls and turning completely.

You just have to get lucky and hope you hit him in a place where you can get away - the thing is I shot him from above on a bridge and then zoomed away and he was on my ass in seconds - the game is BUILT to have him on you no matter what you do. You can't strategize.

Top Bottom