• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Mossybrew

Almost done with the story, and count me among the Batmobile haters. I wasn't at first! It felt cool and powerful. But somebody at Rocksteady had such a hardon for this mechanic, it had to completely overwhelm the game. Drone battles are cool, so let's crank it to 11 and shove them in your face the whole game! Isn't it awesome the 'mobile can get totally tubular and drive on the ceiling down pipes! Let's make that happen again and again in increasingly hectic situations! And don't even get me started on the Riddler bullshit. I am finishing the story mode out of spite and then I can't trade this sucker in fast enough.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
hence why you do what you want in this, and then watch the full ending on youtube. No need to spend 5+ hours doing shit you don't wanna do

Right, but I think it's a disservice to the game and the people who aren't gonna spend 5+ hours of doing repetitive collecting. The game comes better off with the complete ending. If they wanted to add anything more as a bonus then fine, but the part they cut out is quite important in terms of the story.

Vire

hence why you do what you want in this, and then watch the full ending on youtube. No need to spend 5+ hours doing shit you don't wanna do
I think there's some worthwhile stuff after collecting 100%... At least more so than other games that want you to get full completion.

The Riddler boss fight is pretty fun and the
Catwoman scene that follows it is charming
. Plus the bonus ending.

Not very happy with this game and will be trading it in first thing tomorrow. Reasons:

1. The Batmobile supplants the core action/stealth gameplay by far too much. My wife was a bigger fan of the previous Arkham games than I was and she was incredibly excited for this. She does not like racing/driving games at all. Turns out her favorite video game series decided to switch genres to the one genre she has absolutely zero interest in. Great.

2. The Batmobile is quite possibly the single worst handling vehicle in a game I have played in recent memory. Literally every car in GTAV handles better, including joke vehicles and intentional clunkers. Every recent racing game handles orders of magnitude better. The tires lack grip, the brakes are ineffective as anything other than a power slide mechanic, the ass end is too heavy, the acceleration in both forward and reverse is over-torqued and the steering is a hot mess. If it literally just cribbed the feel of Burnout Paradise I'd probably actually really enjoy the game, but instead it feels like Burnout Paradise if the roads were covered in Vaseline, your brakes were cut, and the car had a transmission fault keeping them locked in 3rd gear or higher.

3. The controls are simply poorly thought out. Why is the tank set as hold L2? Why isn't it a toggle, or at least an optional configuration to a toggle? If it was a toggle they could have put it on square and let brake/reverse be on L2 like damn near every racing game does now, allowing for analog braking. Then maybe we'd have real stopping power on the brakes.

4. Beyond the Shitmobile, the presentation is seriously flawed. Scarecrow sounds like Hugo Strange, to the point where on my way to a storyline mission I heard audio cut in and thought "hey, what the hell is Hugo Strange doing in this game?" nope, it was the story mission. Batman feels incredibly off. I'm wondering if a part of this is the lack of having the Joker as the primary foil. Conroy's work feels weak and I suspect it comes from not having Hamil's Joker to play off of. The tone set by the game feels like the standard grimdark you get from so many other AAA titles now, not like something uniquely Batman. Also, the fact that I'm running over pedestrians and crushing everything in the city with the Batmobile is pretty goddamn out of character. Won't be much of a city to return to after stopping the Scarecrow anyway at this rate.

What' worse than the story presentation is the tutorials, or lack thereof. Everything is introduced in-gameplay with tiny on-screen text in quick bursts, or concepts aren't explained at all. Tank AR missions give you no clue about how scoring is valued for example, so it took looking it up online to figure out that not getting hit is grossly more important than speed or critical hits. I don't like hand holding in my games, but stop assuming that I read the incredibly small text you flashed on the screen in the middle of a fight, driving segment, etc.. They completely changed the primary game play of the franchise with Knight so they need to acknowledge that these new mechanics need real introduction.

5. Navigating a large, dense world with almost zero visual cues other than living in detective mode is a fucking chore. So many of the secondary objectives feel like a bad game of hide n' seek where you search around for an inordinate amount of time to finally find what you're looking for, then engage in 10 seconds of tedious combat, and get to repeat again for the next thing you need to find. Firefighter rescue missions are a great example of this.

6. The world is empty. It is a gigantic, poorly designed driving circuit. It feels like playing a PS2 era GTA game in how little you actually enter any buildings and do something other than just driving around from point A to point B.

I actually thought the additions to the combat system were pretty cool. The expanded Waynetech trees and the interface design for it are fantastic. The game is undeniably pretty, and the scale of the city is quite impressive. Unfortunately Rocksteady basically changed genres here into something that doesn't feel like a Batman game, doesn't feel like an action/stealth game, and instead feels like a half baked driving/car combat game with really polished action or stealth instances at some of the destinations.

Maybe they should have left it at City and made a new game instead of going back to the well yet again. Maybe they just fell in love with the idea of the Batmobile. Maybe they felt all this was needed to check the "Open World AAA" box and go for those GTA sales. Who knows, but whatever the reason this game is, for my wife and I at least, the most disappointing video game release in a VERY long time.

Take another look at issue number three. I'm sure you can figure it out.

Right, but I think it's a disservice to the game and the people who aren't gonna spend 5+ hours of doing repetitive collecting. The game comes better off with the complete ending. If they wanted to add anything more as a bonus then fine, but the part they cut out is quite important in terms of the story.

Oh don't get me wrong, from what I hear they cut out quite a lot.

But come on. Should we be surprised that a developer that loves to cut out content from their single player game did so again? lol

I'll just watch the Riddler stuff online, alongside the true ending. Can't be bothered to go find 200+ riddler crap (I only have like 20 something and I'm like 75% done with the game).

Sullichin

This combat encounter near the end of the game
when the GCPD gets raided
is giving me a really hard time. I'm spamming the electric charge gadget constantly and still getting shocked. The flashing lights / dark setting are making it difficult for me to target the right enemy.

Vire

is giving me a really hard time. I'm spamming the electric charge gadget constantly and still getting shocked. The flashing lights / dark setting are making it difficult for me to target the right enemy.
Back up some towards the breakable wooden doorway area. You can pretty easily funnel enemies one by one and back off as needed.

Don't forget to Hack as you back off!

Edit: I thought you were referring to the Batmobile section, my bad.

I would just try and use all the environmental takedowns on the mean guys and make short work of the rest.

Neiteio

I was stuck on this, too... until I realized I can jump in the Batmobile and just shoot everyone.

So what does hard mode change exactly? Are enemies more aggressive? More of them? More health for enemies and more dmg?

Hard mode just increases enemy damage IIRC. Knightmare mode (NG+) is more drastic - removing counter icons, removing fear if spotted by an enemy, remixing enemy compositions, etc.

Hard mode just increases enemy damage IIRC. Knightmare mode (NG+) is more drastic - removing counter icons, removing fear if spotted by an enemy, remixing enemy compositions, etc.

That's pretty good. I always disliked how I couldn't choose to play Hard in previous Arkham games because they just removed the counter icons.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That's pretty good. I always disliked how I couldn't choose to play Hard in previous Arkham games because they just removed the counter icons.

On the flip side I wish it was atleast a toggle or something because I find combat so much better without that crap. City had them btw, only Asylum had them off on Hard.

Scizzy

Am I just a total idiot or did anyone else make it through the whole game thinking they were blowing up "mama drones."

So I have like a little over half the riddles solved, and I'm sitting at 95% and after reading all these posts saying it's not worth it to activate
Knightfall protocol and the real ending.

I'm strongly considering hanging it up and just youtubing the real ending, the riddler trophy hunt has become more work that I don't feel like doing.

Had to take a break. Been playing nonstop this whole weekend. Game is great. I wouldn't call it the best game I've played so far, title still held by Witcher 3. But Fallout 4 will likely still win GOTY haha

Sullichin

I was stuck on this, too... until I realized I can jump in the Batmobile and just shoot everyone.
Thanks! That made things a lot easier.

Back up some towards the breakable wooden doorway area. You can pretty easily funnel enemies one by one and back off as needed.

Don't forget to Hack as you back off!

Edit: I thought you were referring to the Batmobile section, my bad.

I would just try and use all the environmental takedowns on the mean guys and make short work of the rest.

I just quit after trying the batmobile part a few times, lol. I'll try to do that next time, thanks. This fight sucks.

Sober

On the flip side I wish it was atleast a toggle or something because I find combat so much better without that crap. City had them btw, only Asylum had them off on Hard.
You know it's cause the counter icon works like a QTE in some instances right? Like if you didn't know to counter some of the more insolent riddler informants that try to fight back you'd think that 1/10 times they just don't work. Or during certain story moments you need to basically "counter" to get out of the scripted sequence (e.g. being kicked while you're down situations). That's why they're there but turned off for NG+ and this was also true in Arkham City (and probably Origins too while we're at it), because at that point they expect you to know it.

I think the simplified, more forgiving combat of Sleeping Dogs poisoned me, as I keep thinking I have bigger windows for counters and it ruins my combo meter haha.

And 2. The car handles great. It is actually the handler...

I think my biggest issue, which yes it has to do with 'the handler' is that almost every game has the break/reverse as L2/left trigger. When you make something else that in one game, most folk by reflex will try to take a curve with L2 and instead go into tank mode. Which isn't that bad imo as it still slows you down.

I think my biggest issue, which yes it has to do with 'the handler' is that almost every game has the break/reverse as L2/left trigger. When you make something else that in one game, most folk by reflex will try to take a curve with L2 and instead go into tank mode. Which isn't that bad imo as it still slows you down.

They just should've made the alt control scheme the default. It's mindboggling that you have to search in the Options to change it.

Having Left Trigger be the brake makes sense.

Toggling into Battle Mode instead of having to hold down a button just makes sense.

Why was the superior control scheme not the default one?

Also, I think some people forget, they are freaking triggers, there is a reason gas in on a trigger. You don't just hammer it down all the time.

And I was doing the tank mode turns for the first half hour of the game. I eventually adjusted. (still don't play with toggle on)

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
So I have like a little over half the riddles solved, and I'm sitting at 95% and after reading all these posts saying it's not worth it to activate
Knightfall protocol and the real ending.

I'm strongly considering hanging it up and just youtubing the real ending, the riddler trophy hunt has become more work that I don't feel like doing.

Dude, really.. unless you want the Platinum, just watch the full ending and enjoy that you've locked up every single piece of shit except Riddler who is just an annoyance after the last "key" mission.

Unlock the "half good" ending, then watch the final one. Put this game to rest. The riddler trophies are lifesucking.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You know it's cause the counter icon works like a QTE in some instances right? Like if you didn't know to counter some of the more insolent riddler informants that try to fight back you'd think that 1/10 times they just don't work. Or during certain story moments you need to basically "counter" to get out of the scripted sequence (e.g. being kicked while you're down situations). That's why they're there but turned off for NG+ and this was also true in Arkham City (and probably Origins too while we're at it), because at that point they expect you to know it.

Yeah, those stood out in NG+ as I forgot those moments were even a thing. Though I would gladly throw them under the bus to let it be disabled all the time in combat...or atleast not lead to a fail state. I know some, like
getting to Christina and having her attack Robin just leave a mark on him. I'd rather they play out that way, and maybe just have it be introduced through the game that informants can reject you and need countered.

Rocksteady, pls. ;_;

After getting 100 percent, it's clear this tops Arkham City everywhere except or boss fights and tightness in combat, something City improved on and polished to a sheen. However, the improvements Knight brings to the established gameplay are worth the occasional glitch (not a glitch in a literal sense). Moment-to-moment gameplay allows for more blending between predator, combat and now driving, even more diversity in each category. I still need more time with it, but it's definitely at least the second best so far, and definitely the go-to Batman simulator, no question.

Finally got past that stupid
drill section
and got to the end only to find I have to
do all those awful side missions
in order to get the real ending. I said F that and watched on youtube.

Overall, I loved parts of the story and gameplay outside of the crappy batmobile was great, but the rest was truly mediocre. Hardly any boss fights and all the side missions were just do the same thing x times. It seemed like there were less areas to explore and stuff to do than in AC, but it may be my poor memory of the game

Thought it was funny with the evidence room in the GCPD pretty much confirming AO was all canon. People seemed hellbent on trying to snuff AO out.

Finally got past that stupid
drill section
and got to the end only to find I have to
do all those awful side missions
in order to get the real ending. I said F that and watched on youtube.

Overall, I loved parts of the story and gameplay outside of the crappy batmobile was great, but the rest was truly mediocre. Hardly any boss fights and all the side missions were just do the same thing x times. It seemed like there were less areas to explore and stuff to do than in AC, but it may be my poor memory of the game

Poor memory mixed with no loading screens. Makes there seem like far less.

j-wood

I don't have a problem with the batmobile at all, loved the mechanic. I beat the
drill section
on my first attempt.

Unit24

So... I haven't finished the game yet, but does anybody else think that
the plot point about Joker's blood turning people into him
is really stupid?

Started this tonight finally. It's really fun.

By why is it always raining indoors??

That scene in the clock tower with all the computers made no sense.

After getting 100 percent, it's clear this tops Arkham City everywhere except or boss fights and tightness in combat, something City improved on and polished to a sheen. However, the improvements Knight brings to the established gameplay are worth the occasional glitch (not a glitch in a literal sense). Moment-to-moment gameplay allows for more blending between predator, combat and now driving, even more diversity in each category. I still need more time with it, but it's definitely at least the second best so far, and definitely the go-to Batman simulator, no question.

Arkham City had the Freeze boss fight which remains imho the best boss fight in the series.

Pilgrimzero

Here is a weird glitch. Middle and late game spoilers

I seem to have somehow missed when
Gordon finds out Babs is dead and was working for Bats.

She dies. I go to the PD and tell a cop, that cop says Gordon is out doing something.

Eventually people start talking like they know or Gordon knows or something.

Ive gotten to where I save Gordon and yea he knows shes dead and knows Bats is Bruce. And of course find out shes not dead...

When the frick did all of this happen? Bats never talked to Gordon about Babs or his ID. Is there a youtube clip I can watch somewhere?

Edit: I did see the
Babs revealed as Oracle
part but still no idea on the
reveal to James that shes dead
. Just a plot hole maybe?

Duxxy3

Just about finished the campaign and my only thought is... what the fuck happened at Rocksteady? Nearly everything is a steep downgrade from Arkham City. Story, combat, voice acting you name it.

Grexeno

Here is a weird glitch. Middle and late game spoilers

I see to have somehow missed when
Gordon finds out Babs is dead and was working for Bats.

She dies. I go to the PD and tell a cop, that cop says Gordon is out doing something.

Eventually people start talking like they know or Gordon knows or something.

Ive gotten to where I save Gordon and yea he knows shes dead and knows Bats is Bruce. And of course fid out shes not dead...

When the frick did all of this happen? Bats never talked to Gordon about Babs or his ID. Is there a youtube clip I can watch somewhere?
The Arkham Knight literally called Batman "Bruce" right in front of Gordon.

So I beat the game, youtube'd the
100% ending, even though I had over half of the riddler trophy hunt completed. Just couldn't do it anymore. The true "ending" isn't even worth the effort, even though it was pretty good.

I liked it a lot more than I thought I would overall, and I felt it was a huge step up from the disappointment that was Arkham City. The story was actually pretty great minus the Arkham Knight himself.

I will probably never play this again though, it feels like a very one and done experience and it took me about 31 hours with a completion rating of 97%, 41 hours if I count the 10 hours I wasted in the broken PC version.

I actually kind of liked the Batmobile overall, didn't bother me at all.

Top Bottom