• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

what's bullshit during fights is there is no way to counter "red lightning bolt" guys. You can MAYBE flip off them but then the guy you are fighting just gets away and you have to start over. If you're near the end of a combo it's bullshit that you have no recourse.

You can definitely flip over them. You also always have the ability to throw batarangs at them before they reach you, regardless of whether you're in a combo.

Arkham Asylum had the way more boss battles. City had them too but it was still lower than AA. The sequences in AC led you to believe there's going to be a boss fight, but it would end up being a cutscene. Classic Example: When Batman returns after destroying all titan cylinders to Bane, Bane says he's got one sample still with him and he intends to use, immediately Batman uses his Batarang and traps inside a cell, and that's it. Just when you thought there's going to be a cool boss fight.

Bane has never had a good fight in any incarnation so I can't be mega upset about that.

what's bullshit during fights is there is no way to counter "red lightning bolt" guys. You can MAYBE flip off them but then the guy you are fighting just gets away and you have to start over. If you're near the end of a combo it's bullshit that you have no recourse.

bahahahahahaha

aparisi2274

I'm sure its been mentioned, but if John Noble does not win an award at the Geoff Keighly video game invitational award show (final name pending), I am going to be very upset, because he does such an amazing job voicing Scarecrow.

Yeah, but you also got fights like Mr Freeze, Ras Al Ghul, Solomon Grundy, Poison Ivy, Clayface, etc.

In Knight, aside from a few lame Batmobile fights and
the Arkham Knight fight
, I can't really think of any others...I guess there's a Riddler fight that only crazy people would be able to see.

Yes yes yes, how can I forget the awesome climax fight against clayface, the demon trials and the face off against Ra's and Dr Freeze. So good. As for AK, yeah I did find it very weak in it's boss fights offering, but the game does try a lot to make up for the loss of boss encounters.

ramyeon

Are you kidding me? I have to
redo the whole 6 Cobra thing after being destroyed by the tank carrying the Cloudburst every time?

So kind of disappointing haha.

(very late game spoilers dealing with main chars read at your own risk)

Just revealed that Arkham Knight was Jason Todd. That was the like the worst kept secret ever considering Arkham City had the Red Hood code, and then there was the Red Hood prequel which wouldn't have given it away as much if it wasn't for the fact he never appeared again. Then of course Joker is showing you his supposed fight for no reason so yeah. Good job hiding it?

Having done that and rescued Barbara, I ran to tell Tim her fate hoping I'd be able to let him out to go see her. But instead you tell him "lol btw jk she ok" and he just falls on his knees to cry inside the cell and you can't interact with him anymore. Haha.

cackhyena

redo the whole 6 Cobra thing after being destroyed by the tank carrying the Cloudburst every time?
It's the fucking worst. This garbage coupled with them adding too much to the combat this time out easily puts it behind City and Asylum for me.

Set it to easy. Someone here said it'll give you more checkpoints when you fail.

It's the fucking worst. This garbage coupled with them adding too much to the combat this time out easily puts it behind City and Asylum for me.

Are you talking about the hand-to-hand combat? It's probably the best so far, if only due to being able to pick up enemies.

Oh. FUCK. THAT. BATTLE. It wouldn't even be that bad if it wasn't for the bullshit
that everytime you hit the cloudburst tank for no reason he gets as fast as the batmobile at top speed and chases you around these narrow ass corridors shooting shit like a maniac. I was one hit away by the time I had to actually shoot at the device, and I only defeated him because I used this narrow hallway to my advantage to avoid the missles, pop out, and repeat

Seriously did they see Arkham City and think "naaaaaaaaaaaaaah let's NOT do boss battles, let's do a bunch of vehicle battles".

Seriously did they see Arkham City and think "naaaaaaaaaaaaaah let's NOT do boss battles, let's do a bunch of vehicle battles".

Let's not forget this is the company that made Arkham Asylum's boss battles too.

The only great boss battles Rocksteady has done have been Mr. Freeze and maybe Clayface — and Freeze was only truly great on hard mode. R'as al Ghul and Grundy were merely functionally sound, yet felt more akin to Zelda bosses, even in appearance and tone.

That said, I would've liked some boss battles in AK, but I'd prefer none over getting trash like Titan Joker again.

Wow did I just have the most epic game of chicken against the Arkham Knight

I was in the
Cloudburst Tank battle and we were neck and neck a sliver of health each and I kept pop shotting him from under the tunnel and I was like "C'mon" and he finally gets me with a errant missile and I die and drop my controller and I'm like "Well fuck"

But here's the really funny thing and this is a tip for anyone having problems with this fight,
The next sequence I just go up right behind the Arkham Knight's cloudburst and spam the cannon and gatling gun and he's defeated in about 2 mins and I laugh my fucking ass off. THE BATTLE IS SUPER EASY TO WIN IF YOU JUST APPROACH IT HEAD ON LOL.

I will mention I had the Batmobile slightly souped up so it helped in that sense.

This sequence is about 75% of the way through btw.

Think I'm near the end.

On hard there is no checkpoint during the fight, on easy and normal you get a checkpoint after you destroy the 6 Cobras. You won't lose anything playing on normal since there are no difficulty related trophies

cackhyena

Set it to easy. Someone here said it'll give you more checkpoints when you fail.

Are you talking about the hand-to-hand combat? It's probably the best so far, if only due to being able to pick up enemies.
Not to me. Way too many layers that screwed the nice flow you could achieve in City. Electrified, healers, rushers, knife wielders, shields, rushers, gun wielders, drones... I'm sure I'm forgetting some. It's was just too much. Fucked with what made the previous games combat so good.

aparisi2274

I took an update to the Batmobile that when you shoot a missle from your 60mm cannon, it fools the cobra tanks to think you're over near the explosion and then they turn that way, and I just wait to lock on and take them out. Makes fighting them that much easier.

Sober

Not to me. Way too many layers that screwed the nice flow you could achieve in City. Electrified, healers, rushers, knife wielders, shields, rushers, gun wielders, drones... I'm sure I'm forgetting some. It's was just too much. Fucked with what made the previous games combat so good.
The game just never gives you enough unarmed filler to bounce around. It'd probably be find if they actually did instead of 2x every enemy type and 2 unarmed dudes. The variety is fine but they're too much of the overall percentage of the brawl from start to finish.

Honestly I'm sorta glad guns kinda got put back into combat brawls. They were way too easy in AC (and AO probably) because the threat of guns stopping your combo never really showed up.

I remember people saying the exact same thing for City after it came out, yet City's combat was in every possible way better than Asylum's.

It's just more enemies that need to be countered in a few more specific ways. Some fights demand you disable and sabotage more equipment beforehand. I imagine once people who feel they hate combat in AK actually get used to it, they'll change their tune.

The game just never gives you enough unarmed filler to bounce around. It'd probably be find if they actually did instead of 2x every enemy type and 2 unarmed dudes. The variety is fine but they're too much of the overall percentage of the brawl from start to finish.

The unarmed filler is roaming the streets constantly. The main story and checkpoint/tower sidemissions are where the challenge lies.

ramyeon

On hard there is no checkpoint during the fight, on easy and normal you get a checkpoint after you destroy the 6 Cobras. You won't lose anything playing on normal since there are no difficulty related trophies
Oh I was playing on Normal. There isn't any checkpoint between the two stages for that either. It's ridiculous. I took the advice above and set it to Easy for that fight, glad to be done with it. Normally I'd feel bad about changing the difficulty but not in this case, that was some bullshit.

Oh I was playing on Normal. There isn't any checkpoint between the two stages for that either. It's ridiculous. I took the advice above and set it to Easy for that fight, glad to be done with it. Normally I'd feel bad about changing the difficulty but not in this case, that was some bullshit.

I'm not sure, I played on Normal, restarted the fight after killing the Cobras couple times and the game starts right after that, I didn't have to replay the whole section.

ramyeon

I'm not sure, I played on Normal, restarted the fight after killing the Cobras couple times and the game starts right after that, I didn't have to replay the whole section.
I died before taking out the coolants on the Arkham Knight's tanks but after taking out all the Cobras and it sent me back to the start.

Definitely on Normal, this is my first Arkham game so I wasn't about to do it on Hard haha.

cackhyena

I remember people saying the exact same thing for City after it came out, yet City's combat was in every possible way better than Asylum's.

It's just more enemies that need to be countered in a few more specific ways. Some fights demand you disable and sabotage more equipment beforehand. I imagine once people who feel they hate combat in AK actually get used to it, they'll change their tune.

The unarmed filler is roaming the streets constantly. The main story and checkpoint/tower sidemissions are where the challenge lies.
I wasn't one of them. I thought City was the perfect mix. This is overkill and if someone comes to like it after hating it, I ...well I don't see how that works. Between the awful batmobile stuff and these overstuffed fights, I can't even be bothered to go after side mission stuff. Just a sour taste in my mouth overall and it bums me out. Oh well.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Nope. The AC combat was better by a bit. Its not so much the enemy types that drove me crazy in AK, it was the removal of the batswarm, having a camera that zooms in too close to Batman making the fights often feel cramped and you often can't see enemies you need to counter and they get a cheap hit in, batman whiffing during a combo, and improper enemy targeting. Environmental takedowns were nice once I realized that they could be executed without the 5X requirement and i tried to prioritize brutes with them.

These were issues I encountered during the campaign mode of Arkham Origins (not in the challenge maps, though) and I was very surprised and disappointed that they found there way into Arkham Knight, despite the fact they were developed by two different studios!

Granted, very rarely did any of these cause me to die during a combat encounter, but they would quite often kill the adrenaline rush of a good combo. For me, the combat issues are fairly significant since that is where most of the thrill of playing as Batman comes from.

But make no mistake about it, the combat is a definite step back from Arkham City and I know many others feel this way. Its been less talked about since most of the bitching has focused on the batmobile.

I really hope these drone battles don't continue to make me want to quit this game. I loved it so much but they're so frustrating :/
Trying to do the one with Ivy after waking up the second plant after Cloudburst got set off and it sucks. Poor visibility and general chaos.

How many more of these do I have to slog through?

Do you want to 100%? if so, a lot
including one really annoying one twice
. If not, I think only 2 really hectic ones.

I wasn't one of them. I thought City was the perfect mix. This is overkill and if someone comes to like it after hating it, I ...well I don't see how that works. Between the awful batmobile stuff and these overstuffed fights, I can't even be bothered to go after side mission stuff. Just a sour taste in my mouth overall and it bums me out. Oh well.

I was one of those people. I rushed through City and thought there was too much stuff thrown at the player at once. Even by the time I reached Strange, I was getting my ass whooped by shield enemies.

After spending more time with it, I realized how many options I had at any given time. Basic combat was liberating, against myriad enemy types at once it was challenging, and it was always fun, but only once I'd played through the game again.

Now that I know what to do against the enemies in this game, it's a similar situation where the challenge comes from knowing what all ways to counter certain enemies and specific attacks. I can shot a brute and cause him to spin around, knocking down enemies around him, do a multi-ground takedown on the guys he just floored, build a combo while he's still stunned then do a batclaw takedown on him. When I first encountered them in this game (especially the electrified and shield brutes), they always broke my combo.

It's no different, fundamentally. You've learned to fight dozens of enemies at once, and that's what's happening here, if you choose to learn again.

Sober

Rioters and gang thugs are rarely armed to the teeth like Milita dudes.

2x each enemy type is maybe 16-18 dudes. Bigger waves in combat challenges were at least 30 or so. It's mostly I think the issue for some people that when fighting Militia dudes they are all specific enemy types so stringing an opening combo isn't as simple as 3 basic strikes to get freeflow going when there isn't much to bounce off of right away. Compare this to weapon caches where you might have 1 brute and 2 guns at the best and 8-12 unarmed fodder. Plus the arenas were much larger, or at least the roof wasn't right over your head.

Personally I didn't mind the enemy compositions, especially after you figure out that specific hard counters always give you iframes and other nuances.

Nope. The AC combat was better by a bit. Its not so much the enemy types that drove me crazy in AK, it was the removal of the batswarm, having a camera that zooms in too close to Batman making the fights often feel cramped and you often can't see enemies you need to counter and they get a cheap hit in, batman whiffing during a combo, and improper enemy targeting. Environmental takedowns were nice once I realized that they could be executed without the 5X requirement and i tried to prioritize brutes with them.

These were issues I encountered during the campaign mode of Arkham Origins (not in the challenge maps, though) and I was very surprised and disappointed that they found there way into Arkham Knight, despite the fact they were developed by two different studios!

Granted, very rarely did any of these cause me to die during a combat encounter, but they would quite often kill the adrenaline rush of a good combo. For me, the combat issues are fairly significant since that is where most of the thrill of playing as Batman comes from.

But make no mistake about it, the combat is a definite step back from Arkham City and I know many others feel this way. Its been less talked about since most of the bitching has focused on the batmobile.
Batswarm I think has mostly been replaced by explosive batarang combo which is a fairly rough approximation of what it used to do (and Batswarm was broken anyway because it did almost no damage but gave you a ton of points at high multipliers alonge with no knockdowns). The only things they truly nerfed were the removal of Freeflow focus (time slowing down during freeflow) and nearly every version of quickfire explosive gel.

Electric gloves pretty much make comeback in combat through a different form in picking up a melee weapon, as it ignores enemy type and does extra damage but drops on gadget use and certain combos.

Camera is definitely cramped but the game doesn't have large arenas for some reason, which is what is probably the ultimate problem.

I played all Arkham games on easy. Only game series I've done that on. The combat just doesn't jive with me. I can't seem to get the timing right ever and end up dying a lot.

cackhyena

I was one of those people. I rushed through City and thought there was too much stuff thrown at the player at once. Even by the time I reached Strange, I was getting my ass whooped by shield enemies.

After spending more time with it, I realized how many options I had at any given time. Basic combat was liberating, against myriad enemy types at once it was challenging, and it was always fun, but only once I'd played through the game again.

Now that I know what to do against the enemies in this game, it's a similar situation where the challenge comes from knowing what all ways to counter certain enemies and specific attacks. I can shot a brute and cause him to spin around, knocking down enemies around him, do a multi-ground takedown on the guys he just floored, build a combo while he's still stunned then do a batclaw takedown on him. When I first encountered them in this game (especially the electrified and shield brutes), they always broke my combo.

It's no different, fundamentally. You've learned to fight dozens of enemies at once, and that's what's happening here, if you choose to learn again.
I'm sure you're right. I just can't be bothered to go back after finishing the story, though.

I haven't encountered not being able to see enemies before they attack. Not saying it can't happen — in a large open world, there's opportunity for stuff like that to occur — but the game has done a decent job with giving me an adequate view of any given fight so far, even after reaching 100%.

There are even more options to maneuver a fight here. There are fewer ways to outright cheese the combo meter though, such the bat swarm spam in AC or the explosive gel + multi-ground takedown in AO. The pick up move ensures you can continue a combo if you're able to reach the enemy in time, even if they're downed (and you can still attack downed enemies now).

It's not a step back from City overall. There's been some jankiness, though nothing I can quite put a finger on just yet. Batmobile takedowns seem to require being a very specific position relation to the car and I've seen that move look glitchy, though it's never broken a combo for me or affected gameplay in any tangible way.

EDIT: It's been a matter of getting feel for the new systems. More and more, I've found them to be comparably reliable to the ones in City.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I haven't encountered not being able to see enemies before they attack. Not saying it can't happen — in a large open world, there's opportunity for stuff like that to occur — but the game has done a decent job with giving me an adequate view of any given fight so far, even after reaching 100%.

There are even more options to maneuver a fight here. There are fewer ways to outright cheese the combo meter though, such the bat swarm spam in AC or the explosive gel + multi-ground takedown in AO. The pick up move ensures you can continue a combo if you're able to reach the enemy in time, even if they're downed (and you can still attack downed enemies now).

It's not a step back from City overall. There's been some jankiness, though nothing I can quite put a finger on just yet. Batmobile takedowns seem to require being a very specific position relation to the car and I've seen that move look glitchy, though it's never broken a combo for me or affected gameplay in any tangible way.

EDIT: It's been a matter of getting feel for the new systems. More and more, I've found them to be comparably reliable to the ones in City.

Thats your opinion and we are going to have to disagree. we can go back and forth on this, but you are not going to convince me that it is better this time around. And yes, I went back to Arkham City, played some challenge maps AND roamed around the city for a bit just to see if maybe my memory wasn't as sharp as I thought.

Sober

I remember some jankiness (short of whiffing attacks) in Arkham Origins' story mode encounters basically being the product of them basically slapping a combat modifier on top for hard difficulty (cause most people did AC NG+ and all that so naturally you'd start on hard). I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing was the core of the problem. We also don't have pure challenge maps to test against. Remember how nearly all the combat complaints for AO did not apply at all to that game's challenge maps?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Rioters and gang thugs are rarely armed to the teeth like Milita dudes.

2x each enemy type is maybe 16-18 dudes. Bigger waves in combat challenges were at least 30 or so. It's mostly I think the issue for some people that when fighting Militia dudes they are all specific enemy types so stringing an opening combo isn't as simple as 3 basic strikes to get freeflow going when there isn't much to bounce off of right away. Compare this to weapon caches where you might have 1 brute and 2 guns at the best and 8-12 unarmed fodder. Plus the arenas were much larger, or at least the roof wasn't right over your head.

Personally I didn't mind the enemy compositions, especially after you figure out that specific hard counters always give you iframes and other nuances.

Batswarm I think has mostly been replaced by explosive batarang combo which is a fairly rough approximation of what it used to do (and Batswarm was broken anyway because it did almost no damage but gave you a ton of points at high multipliers alonge with no knockdowns). The only things they truly nerfed were the removal of Freeflow focus (time slowing down during freeflow) and nearly every version of quickfire explosive gel.

Electric gloves pretty much make comeback in combat through a different form in picking up a melee weapon, as it ignores enemy type and does extra damage but drops on gadget use and certain combos.

Camera is definitely cramped but the game doesn't have large arenas for some reason, which is what is probably the ultimate problem.

That only mattered in challenge rooms though. Not so much in story mode.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I remember some jankiness (short of whiffing attacks) in Arkham Origins' story mode encounters basically being the product of them basically slapping a combat modifier on top for hard difficulty (cause most people did AC NG+ and all that). I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing was the core of the problem. We also don't have pure challenge maps to test against. Remember how nearly all the combat complaints for AO did not apply at all to that game's challenge maps?

Yes, this is very true. Playing the challenge maps in Arkham Origins was a much much much more enjoyable and smoother experience than the campaign.

This is why I maintain that much of the combat problems in Arkham Origins were related to many of the in game bugs. I remember seeing instances of enemies from the other side of the screen slide over and hit me as well as the enemies maintaining their speed while I was in freeflow focus. The issue got worse as we went farther into the game.

But yes, the combat in the Arkham Origins challenges rooms were far similar to Arkham City.

Thats your opinion and we are going to have to disagree. we can go back and forth on this, but you are not going to convince me that it is better this time around. And yes, I went back to Arkham City, played some challenge maps AND roamed around the city for a bit just to see if maybe my memory wasn't as sharp as I thought.

The whiffing of attacks I experienced in Origins didn't happen here. Batman attack animations and enemy attack frequencies/speeds haven't had a disconnect as they did in Origins. The additions and tweaks to the combat haven't thrown anything off like they did with in WB Montreal's game.

I've noticed a few instances where I've ended up targeting a normal enemy who I didn't intend to attack, but they were next to other normal enemies. The prioritization of attacks on special enemy types seems intact. Granted, this could just be because i've gotten lucky, but I've also played this game for about 50 to 60 hours so far, if the counter is correct.

The only other thing you mentioned was removal of the bat-swarm, and that in itself is not a negative — a highly spammable and abusable move was gotten rid of. It didn't even work like bat summons in other Batman media, which always disappointed me. There's no moves that can be quite as abused this time around, which is a positive imo.

I haven't seen any convincing arguments as to why the combat is worse. I haven't had any experiences to suggest that's the case.

Sober

I haven't seen any convincing arguments as to why the combat is worse.
Freeflow explosive gel + immediate multi-batarang takedown was so fucking broken, I'm kinda glad they removed it but damn if they didn't nerf the living shit out of the gel to be worse than the distruptor grenade in AO.

ramyeon

Just made it to the
Drill chase under the mall. It's like Rocksteady didn't want me to finish this game. Why? Who thought these things were a good idea?

Freeflow explosive gel + immediate multi-batarang takedown was so fucking broken, I'm kinda glad they removed it but damn if they didn't nerf the living shit out of the gel to be worse than the distruptor grenade in AO.

That's the one aspect that's worse. I didn't like the stun grenade in AO and the gel is now that exactly. It's why I don't say AK's combat is simply better than AC's. There are plenty of improvements that put it above AC in my mind, but then there's that which is worse.

Just made it to the
Drill chase under the mall. It's like Rocksteady didn't want me to finish this game. Why? Who thought these things were a good idea?

Have you died already?

Just made it to the

IT'S ME BATMAN

THE RIDDLER

I DESIGNED EVERY PORTION OF THE GAME'S BOSS BATTLES WITH METICULOUS DETAIL. WHAT'S THE MATTER DARK KNIGHT? CAN'T DEFEAT ANNOYING BOSS BATTLES?

HAHAHA MY INTELLECTUAL SUPERIORITY WOULD GUARANTEE I BEAT THESE CHALLENGES BEFORE I BEGAN LUNCH.

Chitown B

I've done Azrael's 60% fight about 25 times and just can't do it. Every time I'm hitting X to hit one guy someone else needs to be countered and my controller will just not do both at the same time. I can't stop hitting a guy or I lose my momentum, and I can't hit and counter simultaneously. There's always some yellow sword guy behind me. Then I hold back and Y, Y, Y and I always get hit.

edit: finally got it, by pure luck of the draw

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

In Arkham Origins yes, this was possible, but in Arkham City it was very very difficult to pull off.

Using freeflow explosive gel would take you out of freeflow and you would have to build up another 5X multiplier before you could do a multi takedown. That was very difficult to pull off if most enemies were on the ground and they were often off the ground before you could build up the 5X. I was never once able to pull it off, but it is possible since Ive seen youtube videos.

However, it was rather easy to pull off in Arkham Origins with two special stars.

IT'S ME BATMAN

THE RIDDLER

I DESIGNED EVERY PORTION OF THE GAME'S BOSS BATTLES WITH METICULOUS DETAIL. WHAT'S THE MATTER DARK KNIGHT? CAN'T DEFEAT ANNOYING BOSS BATTLES?

HAHAHA MY INTELLECTUAL SUPERIORITY WOULD GUARANTEE I BEAT THESE CHALLENGES BEFORE I BEGAN LUNCH.

I'm regularly taken aback when I read about people retrying these parts over and over a dozen times.

In Arkham Origins yes, this was possible, but in Arkham City it was very very difficult to pull off.

Using freeflow explosive gel would take you out of freeflow and you would have to build up another 5X multiplier before you could do a multi takedown. That was very difficult to pull off if most enemies were on the ground.

However, it was rather easy to pull off in Arkham Origins with two special stars.

It was actually an accomplishment in AC, but in AO that 2-star special combo move meter made it way too feasible. It was fun, but felt cheap.

IT'S ME BATMAN

THE RIDDLER

90% of the boss battles were fucking terrible in the game. Really disappointing

I'm regularly taken aback when I read about people retrying these parts over and over a dozen times.

It was actually an accomplishment in AC, but in AO that 2-star special combo move meter made it way too feasible. It was fun, but felt cheap.

I was expecting this insanely arduous slog through poorly designed garbage by the way people were talking about them.

I think I had to retry two boss fights in the batmobile, total, in the whole game. Counting the Riddler rooms. And I am abysmal at car racing games, lol.

ramyeon

I mean I see what you're supposed to do here. But I'm just not great at the handling of the Batmobile in these tunnel environments, and they're really quite unforgiving.

So I'm trying to 100% Panessa Studios and I have one last riddle that doesn't seem to be there.
the father figure one. Robin's staff isn't showing up in front of his cell. I'm at 89% completion for the story. Did I miss something?

Top Bottom