• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
After finishing the game a couple of days ago I decided to get all of the riddler trophies and solve all of the riddles so I could 100% the game. I need one more trophy and
i'm pretty much fucked. The last trophy I need is in the pasadena studios building. It's the one with the 5 riddler robots that require a 5x fear takedown. Problem with that is, I didn't level the fear takedown to x5. I have no wayne points so the only option i'm left with is doing the AR missions to accumulate 8 points. The completionist in me wants to keep at, but i'm pretty much done trying. Is there anyway to get that riddler trophy without having the fear takedown x5?

I think I got this with explosive gel. Lure them all over to the wall, then make sure they see you so the timer starts. Detonate gel, goodbye robuts

iirc!

I'm having trouble with one of the scanner trophies. It's the one where it leads up to a manhole. I grapple up top, then call the batmobile again, but the trail stops. Tried this with calling the batmobile again and activating remote control. Maybe I need to be quicker with the remote control? I don't know.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I think for a lot of people the problems with the Batmobile mostly come down to how overused the tank stuff is, and how so NOT BATMAN it is. It's a square peg in a round hole. Show me any Batman media where the Batmobile turns into a tank and Batman shoots hundreds of drones. And no, The Dark Knight Returns isn't that, neither is the Tumbler. Besides, the whole point of DKR is to show how extreme Batman had become. There's SOME of that as subtext in AK,
what with Batman being infected,
but it's handwaved away. Not to mention the complete implausibility of Scarecrow and Arkham Knight having billions of dollars somehow and the US government being fine with all of this and not deploying the military, which afaik isn't addressed anywhere, when a story arc like No Man's Land very much did address similar concerns, and it didn't have to account for a small army being deployed on US soil.

There's just too much of it. It's not Batman. It's not what I, and many others, want from a Batman game. Batmobile is fine, I like summoning it and driving around in it and ejecting out of it. But there are too many tank battles. There are goddamn stealth sections in the tank that are not fun at all, imo, that really ARE super boring. EVERY boss battle is in the tank, bar one (that doesn't even qualify as a boss battle).

Akai__

I'm having trouble with one of the scanner trophies. It's the one where it leads up to a manhole. I grapple up top, then call the batmobile again, but the trail stops. Tried this with calling the batmobile again and activating remote control. Maybe I need to be quicker with the remote control? I don't know.

Stay in Batmobile Scanner mode, don't leave the vehicle, don't grapple up and drive the Batmobile to the spot where you would grapple up. I've had trouble with that one too. Not sure why it doesn't work properly.

Tensketch

I was so hype when
Deathstroke
turned up so imagine my infinite disappointment when
his boss fight was just cloudburst round 2
a massive let down.

I think I got this with explosive gel. Lure them all over to the wall, then make sure they see you so the timer starts. Detonate gel, goodbye robuts

iirc!

Stay in Batmobile Scanner mode, don't leave the vehicle, don't grapple up and drive the Batmobile to the spot where you would grapple up. I've had trouble with that one too. Not sure why it doesn't work properly.

The problem is that the trail starts to run cold if you take too long. Make sure to go to the map and add a marker exactly where the last question mark is going into the manhole, then stay in scan mode and keep boosting to that spot.

I think for a lot of people the problems with the Batmobile mostly come down to how overused the tank stuff is, and how so NOT BATMAN it is. It's a square peg in a round hole. Show me any Batman media where the Batmobile turns into a tank and Batman shoots hundreds of drones. And no, The Dark Knight Returns isn't that, neither is the Tumbler. Besides, the whole point of DKR is to show how extreme Batman had become. There's SOME of that as subtext in AK,
what with Batman being infected,
but it's handwaved away. Not to mention the complete implausibility of Scarecrow and Arkham Knight having billions of dollars somehow and the US government being fine with all of this and not deploying the military, which afaik isn't addressed anywhere, when a story arc like No Man's Land very much did address similar concerns, and it didn't have to account for a small army being deployed on US soil.

There's just too much of it. It's not Batman. It's not what I, and many others, want from a Batman game. Batmobile is fine, I like summoning it and driving around in it and ejecting out of it. But there are too many tank battles. There are goddamn stealth sections in the tank that are not fun at all, imo, that really ARE super boring. EVERY boss battle is in the tank, bar one (that doesn't even qualify as a boss battle).

I think Rocksteady felt on that trap of going bigger, BIGGER, BIGGER! just for the sake of it, or because they see a bigger game as a better game. So, to accomplish this, we need to make Gotham as a little Veneza. We need to put the batmobile drivable just because we didn't put it on the previous titles. We need to shuffle lot's of Batman's enemies. We need to make a story capable of taking all this stuff on, even if it doesn't work nicely as a plot that fans would enjoy.

This game would be my game of the year if they had kept the bat mobile but removed the tank. Some of the best missions are the apc chases . Add more of that and it would be perfect

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

The problem is that the trail starts to run cold if you take too long. Make sure to go to the map and add a marker exactly where the last question mark is going into the manhole, then stay in scan mode and keep boosting to that spot.

Ooh of course, but that's so obtuse and misleading. They trick you by having that trail run exactly to the manhole, and then you can't even use it to continue scanning. I hate those scanner trophies, luckily that's my final one.

I'm nearly done with the Riddler stuff. Had to use a guide for some of the sight riddles, some were really well hidden, like
Bane's gear and the Solomon Grundy and Calendar Man rooms.

This game would be my game of the year if they had kept the bat mobile but removed the tank. Some of the best missions are the apc chases . Add more of that and it would be perfect

Yeah the APC chases were fun. In small doses the tank combat would be as well, but they just went overboard with that stuff.

GeoGonzo

Ooh of course, but that's so obtuse and misleading. They trick you by having that trail run exactly to the manhole, and then you can't even use it to continue scanning. I hate those scanner trophies, luckily that's my final one.
I actually failed that one twice:

First I arrived to the manhole, spend a few seconds stumped, decided to leave the batmobile and grapple up. I then called the Batmobile and... no question mark. I go back down, scan... nothing. Failed.

Second attempt (much later) I reach the manhole and decide not to leave the car, so I drive up but not fast enough. Fail again.

By the third time I tried this one I had done all the other scanner trophies and noticed how they appear and then after a few seconds start to disappear, starting from the last one discovered. I reached the manhole, then actually waited till a question mark disappeared, then scanned, jumped out of the car, grappled up, called the car... and sure enough, this time it worked. So I guess either approach is good as long as you are quick about it.

GrazGamer

I just finished the main story, clocking in at around 20 hours on hard with about 70% of the game complete.

I have to say about the tank combat, overall I did enjoy it. The 2 occasions where I nearly killed my controller were the extreme Campaign for Disarmament bombs but the first occasion I didn't realise there were different levels of difficulty and hadn't upgraded appropriately and refused to give up!, the second I wasn't being as tactical as the game clearly wanted me to be.

I didn't have too much trouble with the
Cloudburst
or the
Drill
beyond a couple of attempts I would expect playing on hard. As for the
siege of GCPD
, I hid round the corner and dealt with on comers from there.

I certainly understand, and experienced, the frustration with the tank but on reflection, I don't believe it was as intrusive to the game as my annoyance might have suggested at times.

I know a lot of people have no interest in the Riddler trophies but I can't wait to get stuck in and finish all the Most Wanted for my 100%, and I will jump straight in to New Game+ after that. I personally find the trophies a way of fully exploring the world RS created and so much more in this game than perhaps any other open world, because the world is so well created.

Due to bugs and changing platform, I have done the 400+ riddler trophies in AC about 3 times now and it never grows old for me.

I will reserve my thoughts on where I rank the game until I am fully done, as I will probably have more fun 2nd time around, but I certainly haven't been disappointed. It will take a lot to knock AC off it's pedestal with me, but it's still possible.

Not what I meant at all. But if the tank combat is boring, how is the melee combat not boring? Could it be that maybe you just don't like tanks in general, or dislike the idea of batman using a tank? Not trying to be dense here, I just fail to see how they're that different.

The melee combat has more options to keep it fresh: knife disarm dodging, quick gadgets, environmental takedowns, cape led moves, weapon breaking, ground kills (single and multi), stealing weapons, etc.

The tank combat is, to me at least: hold the vulcan gun down constantly whilst boosting around and firing the cannon when you can - followed by the occasional hack or missile barrage if you succeed in building meter. In this environment, the ~4 minutes feels like an eternity. I've had the "experience" of that battle after shooting about 10 and I want it to end as it is no longer providing fun or room for experimentation.

Damn,
seeing the Batmobile get crushed like that somehow felt good. I'm sure that wasn't what they intended me to feel.

Hahaha!

I felt the exact same way - it was such a relief

But then they dropped another one in :( - at least it had a snazzy paint job

ZeroX03

Banned
Not what I meant at all. But if the tank combat is boring, how is the melee combat not boring? Could it be that maybe you just don't like tanks in general, or dislike the idea of batman using a tank? Not trying to be dense here, I just fail to see how they're that different.

Melee combat has something like 25 variations. Tank combat has 5. Even Asylum's basic combat had 9 different moves. Tank combat has very few options. And people also probably don't appreciate shooting/aiming elements in their character action games. Pretty obvious to see how they're very different from my perspective.

Dantis

Is there any trick to finding Riddler's henchmen besides driving around in circles?

I'm missing a couple of things off the Arkham HQ map, and everything from the airship and I can't find a single henchman.

Zakalwe

Banned
Melee combat has something like 25 variations. Tank combat has 5. Even Asylum's basic combat had 9 different moves. Tank combat has very few options. And people also probably don't appreciate shooting/aiming elements in their character action games. Pretty obvious to see how they're very different from my perspective.

I like the simplicity, it's a nice change of pace from the (optional) complexity of hand to hand.

I'm not buying the "tank battlers aren't bad because I'm bad, they're bad because they're boring" argument: Even fights against 60 tanks take like four minutes tops, which is actually similar to how long it takes to fight 30 dudes on foot. And saying "its just about dodging lines" is like saying "it's about mashing X and countering with Y from time to time".

I've been saying this since launch. I am currently plowing through New Game Plus and have been timing batmobile sections vs nonbatmobile. People asserting that these moments, and they are just that...moments, take up a lot of time are pulling stats out of their bums.

Chitown B

The game just never gives you enough unarmed filler to bounce around. It'd probably be find if they actually did instead of 2x every enemy type and 2 unarmed dudes. The variety is fine but they're too much of the overall percentage of the brawl from start to finish.

Agreed. Seems like every 2-3 people I accidentally jump to a guy I can't hit just purely by accident because of the camera.

Alienous

I've been saying this since launch. I am currently plowing through New Game Plus and have been timing batmobile sections vs nonbatmobile. People asserting that these moments, and they are just that...moments, take up a lot of time are pulling stats out of their bums.

That isn't how that works.

Actually if they feel like the Batmobile sections take up a lot of time than they actually do then that says something about how boring they might be; 'When I'm doing a Bat-Tank section I'm aware of the time a lot more than when I'm having fun doing the other things'. Going "but the stopwatch says..." means nothing, unless you assume many people are maliciously lying about their impressions of the same element of a game for ... what reason?

My gripe with the batmobile is only that I wish less boss fights were built around it. I'm okay with a section of a fight being about the batmobile but I didn't like taking about bad guys with the tank all the time. I finally finished the game and got all the Riddler trophies. I really liked the ending. Hit some great notes for me.

cackhyena

Actually if they feel like the Batmobile sections take up a lot of time that they actually do then that says something about how boring they might be; 'When I'm doing a Bat-Tank section I'm aware of the time a lot more than when I'm having fun doing the other things'. Going "but the stopwatch says..." means nothing, unless you assume many people are maliciously lying about their impressions of the same element of a game for ... what reason?
Preach.

Chitown B

Yeah, it's not like I'm critical of Rocksteady's game design in the past

I have no frame of reference for that, only what you've shown in this thread, praising the obviously worst game in the series.

Actually if they feel like the Batmobile sections take up a lot of time that they actually do then that says something about how boring they might be; 'When I'm doing a Bat-Tank section I'm aware of the time a lot more than when I'm having fun doing the other things'. Going "but the stopwatch says..." means nothing, unless you assume many people are maliciously lying about their impressions of the same element of a game for ... what reason?

AMEN

Not so much a criticism/rebuttal and just a tip for people finding the tank boss battles annoying...

Embrace the Hack function on the batmobile. It makes any of the tank missions a walk in the park.

Zakalwe

Banned

Exactly.

If a player doesn't like a mechanic and they required to engage with that mechanic often, it's going to feel like too much regardless of the precise amount it features in the game.

Luckily I enjoy the mechanic in question, but I can understand why people don't.

I have no frame of reference for that, only what you've shown in this thread, praising the obviously worst game in the series.

Enough of this "obviously" arrogance, please.

On hard there is no checkpoint during the fight, on easy and normal you get a checkpoint after you destroy the 6 Cobras. You won't lose anything playing on normal since there are no difficulty related trophies

There is a checkpoint for last phase. I died there and it picked from the final phase, didn't have to do the whole thing.

Opinions and all...but I would also say that mechanically it is the best in the series. FOR ME. (Hope you don't get bent out of shape for me liking something that you don't). Definitely drops the ball with the story later in the game. But that doesn't really take priority for me personally. I just want to do awesome "Batman stuff".

OBVIOUSLY. lol.

I still can't beat Nightwing in the Harley Quinn mission :(

Stop mashing buttons.

Vyer

I find the (few instances of, admittedly) racing to be far more annoying than doing anything in tank mode. Tank controls are excellent, it basically feels like a very responsive mech. Once you start mixing up
}EMPs, hacking, double boosts, etc.
I found it enjoyable enough.

And of course, just using it for traveling/hunting around Gotham has been pretty great.

Races, though, just suck. Though, as has been mentioned, first person view makes them 1000% more tolerable.

You know, if it wasn't for the Riddler stuff, I wouldn't mind 100%'ing this game to see the real ending, but since you do, there's no goddamn way I'm doing that.

Youtube it is.

slop101

Banned
Not so much a criticism/rebuttal and just a tip for people finding the tank boss battles annoying...

Embrace the Hack function on the batmobile. It makes any of the tank missions a walk in the park.
"Any"? Does it work with the tank boss battles? No, therefore it's useless, as it's hardly necessary during the regular tank battles.

Again, it's not about difficulty, it's about tedium.

Chitown B

You know, if it wasn't for the Riddler stuff, I wouldn't mind 100%'ing this game to see the real ending, but since you do, there's no goddamn way I'm doing that.

Youtube it is.

seriously.... I'm only 20% done and I do every one I come across naturally. And i'm 89% done with the game, and have beaten it.

There's a frame of reference for your posts here though — you come into the thread to complain about some "poorly designed" segment or aspect of the game only to display you straight-up don't understand what's going on, e.g. you not reading the prompt for what to do with charging enemies, then complaining about how you're helpless against them:

what's bullshit during fights is there is no way to counter "red lightning bolt" guys. You can MAYBE flip off them but then the guy you are fighting just gets away and you have to start over. If you're near the end of a combo it's bullshit that you have no recourse.

Pretty sure you had trouble with the electrified glove guys (which has a prompt as to how to counter them) and boss battles too, saying you died repeatedly on them (can't remember if you were the dude who posted a video showcasing your inability to drive and dying during a boss fight though).

If I, and others, explain that something you're whining about isn't the problem you try to make it out to be, and we give suggestions as to how you can manage it or enjoy it better, that doesn't equal "hanging on Rocksteady's balls." Not getting my ass beat by a pretty basic video game, and not having to go online to whine about it, is different from sucking up to a developer. If I disagree with some of your complaints, it's just that: a disagreement. If I do like you have and provide little to no examples to back up what I'm saying, then you'd be justified to spout the bullshit you've been spouting.

Opinions and all...but I would also say that mechanically it is the best in the series. FOR ME. (Hope you don't get bent out of shape for me liking something that you don't). Definitely drops the ball with the story later in the game. But that doesn't really take priority for me personally. I just want to do awesome "Batman stuff".

OBVIOUSLY. lol.

He probably will. Look back at his posts in this thread if you're at all curious.

"Any"? Does it work with the tank boss battles? No, therefore it's useless, as it's hardly necessary during the regular tank battles.

Yeah I should have dialed that back to mass drone battles.

The Cobra Lure works alright (could have been better) verses the Cobra drone/Boss battles.

Zakalwe

Banned

No need to snap at him, he was only offering advice.

And it's good advice in that mixing up the secondary weapons adds a bit of variety to the standard tank battles.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like I'm the only one that actually like the story in the games, which kind of hurt my opinion on Knight with the last third of the game.

Joker Titan notwithstanding. That was just bad, bad, bad.

iirc!

That's what I was thinking of doing but I accidentally destroyed both of those breakable walls where you could have put the explosive gel, lol.

I'm just gonna start new game+ and do it all over again.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
That's what I was thinking of doing but I accidentally destroyed both of those breakable walls where you could have put the explosive gel, lol.

I'm just gonna start new game+ and do it all over again.

Don't those walls respawn when you reload the game? I think so...

Actually if they feel like the Batmobile sections take up a lot of time than they actually do then that says something about how boring they might be; 'When I'm doing a Bat-Tank section I'm aware of the time a lot more than when I'm having fun doing the other things'. Going "but the stopwatch says..." means nothing, unless you assume many people are maliciously lying about their impressions of the same element of a game for ... what reason?

But many aren't just saying they personally dislike those aspects of the game. Even
people in this very thread attempt to objectively breakdown the tank stuff as being broken or poorly designed. Even the more subjective arguments just don't hold much water (e.g. "it doesn't feel like Batman" despite every film adaptation and plenty major comic ones featuring heavy artillery).

The actual amount of time something take does matter, btw. No matter how long one perceives those segments to last, it doesn't change that they take up a fraction of game time if the the player so chooses. You can't avoid it 100%, just as you can't avoid the environmental puzzles of this series — it was never a series about one or even merely two types of gameplay non-stop (though those main forms of gameplay still dominate this game). If a change of pace throws you off big-time in games, then this series was never for you. If you can handle what are (at worst) occasional distractions, then you can handle this game.

I would ask people to really assess whether it's "ruining" their experience or they're being melodramatic. Not that it's a big deal in the grand scheme, but it's disconcerting seeing people say they'll skip a game because of overblown or improperly conveyed criticism — I've seen it happen for a lot good games that people might actually enjoy, but they get scared off by what amounts to exaggeration.

I feel like I'm the only one that actually like the story in the games, which kind of hurt my opinion on Knight with the last third of the game.

Joker Titan notwithstanding. That was just bad, bad, bad.

I enjoy much of these games' stories, but feel let down a lot of the time in that regard. I enjoyed Asylum up until I realized the game was doing nothing but building up to more titan crap, and City was mostly meeting various villains with no important developments until the end, really (and even then, the Strange stuff went nowhere). I'm not even looking for outright good stories, merely ones that have interesting elements to them. It's why I actually enjoyed Knight's narrative more than before — even ridiculous stuff like the Panessa Studios moments had weird justifications, but interesting developments and implications.

Quoting for the new page.

Not sure, but I think if you don't see any for a while, it means no more will be spawning in that area. Someone else can check, but I don't think where you find informants is necessarily which areas you get intel for.

Top Bottom