• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

So I'm trying to 100% Panessa Studios and I have one last riddle that doesn't seem to be there.
the father figure one. Robin's staff isn't showing up in front of his cell. I'm at 89% completion for the story. Did I miss something?
Finish the story before trying to 100% everything else.

Sober

IT'S ME BATMAN

THE RIDDLER

I DESIGNED EVERY PORTION OF THE GAME'S BOSS BATTLES WITH METICULOUS DETAIL. WHAT'S THE MATTER DARK KNIGHT? CAN'T DEFEAT ANNOYING BOSS BATTLES?

HAHAHA MY INTELLECTUAL SUPERIORITY WOULD GUARANTEE I BEAT THESE CHALLENGES BEFORE I BEGAN LUNCH.

AC is the superior game by the simple virtue that in less than 30 minutes into NG+ you can promptly dismantle all his puzzles one after the other and punch the Riddler's teeth out.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It was actually an accomplishment in AC, but in AO that 2-star special combo move meter made it way too feasible. It was fun, but felt cheap.

Hence why Ive been comparing Arkham Knight to Arkham City. Thus, saying that freeflow explosive gel + instant takedown is insanely overpowered is easily abuseable is grossly inaccurate given how difficult it is to actually pull that off.

Hence why Ive been comparing Arkham Knight to Arkham City. Thus, saying that freeflow explosive gel + instant takedown is insanely overpowered is easily abuseable is grossly inaccurate given how difficult it is to actually pull that off.

It is in AO, which is what I was referring to when I mentioned it. :

There are fewer ways to outright cheese the combo meter though, such as the bat swarm spam in AC or the explosive gel + multi-ground takedown in AO.

ramyeon

Will give first person ago. I just find that as soon as I'm having to go up walls and stuff it just becomes ridiculous to handle with any precision. At least this has checkpoints between each part.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Have you tried first-person mode? Or the alternate control scheme?

First person mode was a lifesaver for me during those sequences. In 3rd person driving I had a VERY hard time controlling the car when it went up walls and tunnels, but once I started driving in 1st person it became so much easier.

HardRojo

I had to put this game on hold for the time being. Finals start this week but I plan to finish everything next week. Then I'll try hard mode.

ramyeon

Damn,
seeing the Batmobile get crushed like that somehow felt good. I'm sure that wasn't what they intended me to feel.

Damn,
seeing the Batmobile get crushed like that somehow felt good. I'm sure that wasn't what they intended me to feel.

This too seems odd to me. Then again, I never ran into a wall (lol) with Batmobile segments.

Does anyone else love the batclaw takedown ? I use that at every freakibg chance I can...

I like it, though I wish it would only do the crazy camera angle if it was a final move in a fight. Maybe. Or maybe I like it as is.

RedAssedApe

Banned
what speaker settings are headphone users using?

i have a pair of fidelio x2s connected to a tb dss for 5.1 dolby headphone.

pro headphones, headphones, normal speakers, larger speakers?

ramyeon

This too seems odd to me.
I liked it for the most part, but these past few hours have just been too full of really frustrating experiences involving the Batmobile. Every now and then is great, but it just became way too much of a focal point as the game went on.

I was mostly just kidding though.

Finished the game, what a ride. Nearly 100% done but I'm not going on Riddler collectahons anymore. Played it on hard from start to end and I still don't get how people had difficulty with tank battles and bosses, or even Riddler races. Maybe because I speed-maxed my batmobile? They're nowhere near as frustrating as people are making out to be. Heck the most frustrating part was those hand to to hand sections where you have to fight couple of electrified brutes, medics, ninjas, shield guys and couple of goons picking guns from the cache, all mixed in together in one tiny area.

slop101

Banned
Just made it to the
Drill chase under the mall. It's like Rocksteady didn't want me to finish this game. Why? Who thought these things were a good idea?
Ugh. No shit. I just got past the Cloudburst Tank fight, and it wasn't so much that it was hard, it was lame and tedious. Just so poorly designed. Mostly because I was forced to do it ONE way, THEIR way, with absolutely no room to get creative and come at it in multiple ways, you know, like GOOD open-world games have you do.

This whole stupid game is like that - they give you the illusion of choice, what with all the objectives and it's open world, but really, it's very fucking restrictive. It makes for a very boring, tedious game.

This too seems odd to me. Then again, I never ran into a wall (lol) with Batmobile segments.
I'm not singling you out, but it seems like everyone keeps assuming that those of us who don't like the tank stuff is because we find it too hard - that's not the case at all. As I said above, it's mostly some really fucking tedious shit - just not fun and not what I want in a Batman game. They're poorly designed mechanically and gameplay wise. The game would improve ten fold if they dumped all the tank bullshit.

DrakeNathan

why retail version does not have these scenes,pictures from launch trailer
Hsbzz2Q.jpg

a6giuMT.jpg

Iceternal

The Deathstroke boss fight was much better than the Cloudburst one, I was relieved !

Didn't have to do this BS hit him on all sides, and escape while he's super fast with a TERRIBLE camera.

Gator86

Ugh. No shit. I just got past the Cloudburst Tank fight, and it wasn't so much that it was hard, it was lame and tedious. Just so poorly designed. Mostly because I was forced to do it ONE way, THEIR way, with absolutely no room to get creative and come at it in multiple ways, you know, like GOOD open-world games have you do.

This whole stupid game is like that - they give you the illusion of choice, what with all the objectives and it's open world, but really, it's very fucking restrictive. It makes for a very boring, tedious game.

I'm not singling you out, but it seems like everyone keeps assuming that those of us who don't like the tank stuff is because we find it too hard - that's not the case at all. As I said above, it's mostly some really fucking tedious shit - just not fun and not what I want in a Batman game. They're poorly designed mechanically and gameplay wise. The game would improve ten fold if they dumped all the tank bullshit.

The bolded is basically why I quit bothering with posting in this topic. Every post critiquing the game (e.g., tank combat, enemy-type bloat, etc.) is immediately turned into "I'm terrible at this and that is why I don't like it" as opposed to what you've posted here. As I stated a few pages back, I don't think any of the Batmobile combat is actually mechanically-flawed, but it's as you said, that it's tedious, boring, and not something I want in a Batman game.

Skunkers

why retail version does not have these scenes,pictures from launch trailer
Hsbzz2Q.jpg

a6giuMT.jpg

I get the feeling the game's campaign was very much in flux throughout development. The E3 2014 demo showed Batman changing into the Batsuit in the Wayne Tower office (implying you might have started the game as Bruce Wayne and then donned the cowl), but despite the fact that it doesn't go that way in the game, the suit chamber is still there. There has been other stuff that varied, but I think they just made changes to the campaign throughout development. The clock tower picture you posted could still happen in DLC or something though.

npa189

Beat it today,
the end was a huge letdown for me, the whole surrender and turn yourself over to Scarecrow was terrible, and the most unbatman thing batman could have done. After that I still had to do 4 of gotham's most wanted missions which I really didn't like as side content in the first place.

The complete lack of epic boss fights compared to city/asylum makes the game feel stilted, its just batman running around putting out a bunch of small fires the whole game. I will say the Joker was amazing and Hamil killed it. This ranks at the bottom of the Arkham series for me, while it was extremely impressive visually, it just didn't have the same impact as those other games for me.

brau

Beat it today,
the end was a huge letdown for me, the whole surrender and turn yourself over to Scarecrow was terrible, and the most unbatman thing batman could have done. After that I still had to do 4 of gotham's most wanted missions which I really didn't like as side content in the first place.

The complete lack of epic boss fights compared to city/asylum makes the game feel stilted, its just batman running around putting out a bunch of small fires the whole game. I will say the Joker was amazing and Hamil killed it. This ranks at the bottom of the Arkham series for me, while it was extremely impressive visually, it just didn't have the same impact as those other games for me.

The whole bit with the joker singing to you, you have to praise that moment. Mark Hamil... at his best. Want to see Troy Baker pull that off. haha But yea... love all the snarky comments and remarks Joker makes throughout the whole game.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I was expecting this insanely arduous slog through poorly designed garbage by the way people were talking about them.

I think I had to retry two boss fights in the batmobile, total, in the whole game. Counting the Riddler rooms. And I am abysmal at car racing games, lol.
Yeah, tremendous amount of negative hyperbole about this game that is really quite pathetic.

Anyways, I'm trying to obtain all the Riddler trophies in the game and I'm making good progress -- just have a question. On the map screen, are the total amount of Riddles, Trophies, and Bombers displayed, or just ones you've discovered? In other words, if Miagami island says ZERO is left across the board, I'm done? Because I've seen many complaints about how people can't find the last Riddler informants, etc, but unless I'm mistaken, I'm about to clean up the second island completely.

Vaga

Yeah, tremendous amount of negative hyperbole about this game that is really quite pathetic.

Anyways, I'm trying to obtain all the Riddler trophies in the game and I'm making good progress -- just have a question. On the map screen, are the total amount of Riddles, Trophies, and Bombers displayed, or just ones you've discovered? In other words, if Miagami island says ZERO is left across the board, I'm done? Because I've seen many complaints about how people can't find the last Riddler informants, etc, but unless I'm mistaken, I'm about to clean up the second island completely.

Map shows the amount of riddles you squeezed out of Riddler's informants (the green guys) in that specific area. Take note that buildings like Panessa or AK HQ have separate map areas. If an island map says 0 but you still have riddles to discover they are inside those buildings.

ramyeon

Finished up. Didn't do a bunch of the side quests so I didn't get the "True Ending", but there you go. It was a fun ride with some frustration littered throughout, but I enjoyed the game overall. It was my first Arkham experience and I'm keen to try out the other 2 entries in the trilogy if they end up remastering them for PS4 (Only platform I have access to).

Some of the Joker stuff in the ending was really unnerving. The Batman statues reminded me of Weeping Angels from Doctor Who, that whole scenario played out really damn well.

Jason Todd is Arkham Knight, no real surprises there. Feels a bit like a cop out but as a Batman fan I enjoyed all the references and flashbacks.

I liked it. I didn't like some of the Batmobile stuff, I found a lot of the latter portions frustrating. The Cobra tank portions in particular just weren't very fun and as another poster mentioned it would have been nice to be able to tackle those in another way. Why can't I hack those for example?

Despite my slight grievances with the boss battles later on, like I said, I really did enjoy the game overall.

Cobra tanks become ridiculously easy once you unlock the distracting cannon upgrade. You can practically maneuver them in whatever position you want them to be in.

ramyeon

Cobra tanks become ridiculously easy once you unlock the distracting cannon upgrade. You can practically maneuver them in whatever position you want them to be in.
My issue with them isn't them being hard, they weren't really (It does seem like people think that any complaints related to the Batmobile are with regards to difficulty). I never did that upgrade and I never had an issue with Cobras so far as difficulty is concerned. I mean it's essentially taking a pot shot and destroying one then hiding and doing it again and again. It's just repetitive and in my opinion wasn't that interesting or fun.

I had a lot more fun doing the stealth sections on foot where you can be creative and decide how you want to tackle any given situation with your gadgets and the environment.

would be cool if the entire game didn't treat you like you already knew everything. I haven't played AA/City in at least 4 years.

The hint pops up and tells you what to press when an enemy charges you a bunch of times. All you have to do is tap L2 and it's an instant knockout on that enemy.

GeoGonzo

I'm not buying the "tank battlers aren't bad because I'm bad, they're bad because they're boring" argument: Even fights against 60 tanks take like four minutes tops, which is actually similar to how long it takes to fight 30 dudes on foot. And saying "its just about dodging lines" is like saying "it's about mashing X and countering with Y from time to time".

There ARE legitimate complains with the batmobile, like the questionable chase camera or how ridiculously important it is to upgrade it (personally I'd have used two separate talent trees for batman and the batmobile, giving on each level a point for each tree) but... boring? That's just bizarre. Nevertheless, it is okay to not like things and its not like people need to justify their opinion. You don't like the batmobile? That's fine, and its fine to talk about it too. But... are you sure that "boring" is the reason?

ctfg23

Apologies since this has probably been asked a lot, but for the full/true ending do I need to do all of the side quests before finishing the story, or can I finish them after?

Yup, I'm certain that I know the reason I don't like something. The tank battles are indeed boring. The last one is exactly the same as the one 15 hours earlier, just with more of them. They don't develop the idea, they just shove more and more tanks at you. Each time they showed up, I groaned and just wanted to get it over with because it wasn't remotely interesting to me.

ramyeon

I'm not buying the "tank battlers aren't bad because I'm bad, they're bad because they're boring" argument: Even fights against 60 tanks take like four minutes tops, which is actually similar to how long it takes to fight 30 dudes on foot. And saying "its just about dodging lines" is like saying "it's about mashing X and countering with Y from time to time".

There ARE legitimate complains with the batmobile, like the questionable chase camera or how ridiculously important it is to upgrade it (personally I'd have used two separate talent trees for batman and the batmobile, giving on each level a point for each tree) but... boring? That's just bizarre. Nevertheless, it is okay to not like things and its not like people need to justify their opinion. You don't like the batmobile? That's fine, and its fine to talk about it too. But... are you sure that "boring" is the reason?
Yes. And repetitive.

The only time I failed one was the
Boss fight where you have to destroy the coolant on the Arkham Knight's tank.
So I don't think I'm particularly terrible at them as your post seems to imply is the problem with people complaining about the tank battles.

I also liked the Batmobile generally speaking. I loved the puzzle implementation and I felt it worked great as a form of transport as well.

The bolded is basically why I quit bothering with posting in this topic. Every post critiquing the game (e.g., tank combat, enemy-type bloat, etc.) is immediately turned into "I'm terrible at this and that is why I don't like it" as opposed to what you've posted here. As I stated a few pages back, I don't think any of the Batmobile combat is actually mechanically-flawed, but it's as you said, that it's tedious, boring, and not something I want in a Batman game.

Not everyone for sure, count me on this one. I'm on route to get the platinum, didn't find any part of the game particularly hard, have enjoyed the story (but it's way too short to my liking), would gadly recomend the game to a friend, and yet, Jesus Christ, how messed up is this batmobile thing.

It doesn't work. It's just tedious, repetitive and I loathe gameplay designs that enforces you to take a challenge on a specific way. Always. Every single damn time I went on to disarm a mine, I would have to dodge red lines and shoot at things mindlessly (the same goes to those idiotic chases around the city). I wouldn't mind so much the batmobile if its implementation were better sorted or if the game let the player choose other ways to take some challenges and fights.

Man, how happy I felt when the Arkham Knight crashed that crap on the tunnel fight. But my happiness didn't last very long.

My issue with them isn't them being hard, they weren't really (It does seem like people think that any complaints related to the Batmobile are with regards to difficulty). I never did that upgrade and I never had an issue with Cobras so far as difficulty is concerned. I mean it's essentially taking a pot shot and destroying one then hiding and doing it again and again. It's just repetitive and in my opinion wasn't that interesting or fun.

I had a lot more fun doing the stealth sections on foot where you can be creative and decide how you want to tackle any given situation with your gadgets and the environment.

My posts were towards people who found Riddler races infuriating because they kept failing, and during tank bosses they had to drop the difficulty. Not really towards people who found them tedious and repetitive. I personally enjoy tank battles in games, spent most of my time in BF3 riding in a tank lol.

Prototype

Tank controls smooth as butter for me. I love it.

Dodging shots, shooting down missiles, avoiding bombs... Sogood.gif it's my trusty steed. And it looks awesome.

The AR challenges are great too. Just wish there were more.

GeoGonzo

So I don't think I'm particularly terrible at them as your post seems to imply is the problem with people complaining about the tank battles.
Not what I meant at all. But if the tank combat is boring, how is the melee combat not boring? Could it be that maybe you just don't like tanks in general, or dislike the idea of batman using a tank? Not trying to be dense here, I just fail to see how they're that different.

Apologies since this has probably been asked a lot, but for the full/true ending do I need to do all of the side quests before finishing the story, or can I finish them after?

You can finish them after, you get different dialogue from the villains depending if you beat the story first or not

Not what I meant at all. But if the tank combat is boring, how is the melee combat not boring? Could it be that maybe you just don't like tanks in general, or dislike the idea of batman using a tank? Not trying to be dense here, I just fail to see how they're that different.

I liked the tank combat, but the melee combat has so many moves to mess around with, the gadgets add a lot to the fights and the different enemy types also force you to use those gadgets. When it comes to the batmobile it's largely dodge and shoot which could get stale ad the game goes on. Although they add new enemy types it doesn't really amount to the fights looking any different.

Top Bottom