• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Don't those walls respawn when you reload the game? I think so...

Nope! They don't reappear. I tried putting the explosive gel on the ground by where one of the walls was, but it only stuns them instead of destroying them.

Edit: I just got it! I used a freeze grenade and was able to takedown all of them.

Zakalwe

Banned
But many aren't just saying they personally dislike those aspects of the game. Even
people in this very thread attempt to objectively breakdown the tank stuff as being broken or poorly designed. Even the more subjective arguments just don't hold much water (e.g. "it doesn't feel like Batman" despite every film adaptation and plenty major comic ones featuring heavy artillery).

The actual amount of time something take does matter, btw. No matter how long one perceives those segments to last, it doesn't change that they take up a fraction of game time if the the player so chooses. You can't avoid it 100%, just as you can't avoid the environmental puzzles of this series — it was never a series about one or even merely two types of gameplay non-stop (though those main forms of gameplay still dominate this game). If a change of pace throws you off big-time in games, then this series was never for you. If you can handle what are (at worst) occasional distractions, then you can handle this game.

I would ask people to really assess whether it's "ruining" their experience or they're being melodramatic. Not that it's a big deal in the grand scheme, but it's disconcerting seeing people say they'll skip a game because of overblown or improperly conveyed criticism — I've seen it happen for a lot good games that people might actually enjoy, but they get scared off by what amounts to exaggeration.

I don't know what you're having difficulty with here.

There's a game mechanic, it's pretty prominent, and some really don't enjoy engaging with it. And if you really don't enjoy something that can make it feel more drawn out then it actually is.

Saying "you can't handle the new addition" or "this series isn't for you" is pointless antagonism. The Batmobile's tank mode and the tank encounters themselves are a very distinct change of pace, a shooting mechanic in this game was always going to be divisive.

If I didn't enjoy the tank combat, it absolutely features enough that it would make this game much less enjoyable for me. I don't think that's difficult to understand. Thankfully I love it, but it's very clear to me why someone would have the opposite reaction to me.

At this point your defense is getting a little freaky.

I don't know what you're having difficulty with here.

There's a game mechanic, it's pretty prominent, and some really don't enjoy engaging with it. And if you really don't enjoy something that can make it feel more drawn out then it actually is.

Saying "you can't handle the new addition" or "this series isn't for you" is pointless antagonism. The Batmobile's tank mode and the tank encounters themselves are a very distinct change of pace, a shooting mechanic in this game was always going to be divisive.

If I didn't enjoy the tank combat, it absolutely features enough that it would make this game much less enjoyable for me. I don't think that's difficult to understand. Thankfully I love it, but it's very clear to me why someone would have the opposite reaction to me.

At this point your defense is getting a little freaky.

Sorry if my not saying "I understand _____, _____ and _____" makes it seem like I don't see where people are coming from.

People saying the game is ruined for them and that they want to keep playing but outright can't stomach the tank segments seems like hyperbole. If it isn't, I wonder how people handled the bad portions of past games considering most of the Batmobile stuff essentially consists of gadget usage on a grander scale.

Does that make more sense to you? This isn't a defense of this gameplay so much as it is disbelief at people allowing these moments in the game to completely derail their experiences when they are functionally inoffensive.

EDIT: I didn't like (hate) the vehicle segments in Bayonetta, but they don't put me off replaying the game since I love everything. If we're talking about Bioshock: Infinite's shooting gameplay, however, that is the core gameplay which I could completely understand how it ruins the game for people.

Zakalwe

Banned
Sorry if my not saying "I understand _____, _____ and _____" makes it seem like I don't see where people are coming from.

People saying the game is ruined for them and that they want to keep playing but outright can't stomach the tank segments seems like hyperbole. If it isn't, I wonder how people handled the bad portions of past games considering most of the Batmobile stuff essentially consists of gadget usage on a grander scale.

The shift is much bigger than just another gadget being used. They've added a full-blown shooter mechanic to a series that has never had something like that before, and it's something you have to engage with for a significant portion of your playthrough.

Plenty of people really dislike shooters, I think It's quite obvious why it's so divisive in this series.

Does that make more sense to you? This isn't a defense of this gameplay so much as it is disbelief at people allowing these moments in the game to completely derail their experiences when they are functionally inoffensive.

Functionally inoffensive? That doesn't really matter when it's such a distinct change from what has gone before, when they're a definite flavour that some people just don't enjoy.

They feature often enough that if you really dislike the mechanic it will frustrate or bring down the overall experience. How much it brings it down depends just how much you dislike it.

I don't see what's so difficult here.

Alienous

EDIT: I didn't like (hate) the vehicle segments in Bayonetta, but they don't put me off replaying the game since I love everything. If we're talking about Bioshock: Infinite's shooting gameplay, however, that is the core gameplay which I could completely understand how it ruins the game for people.

'Ruining a game' doesn't have to take it from a 10/10 to a 0/10.

It could be 'I love this game, but this one fucking thing ruined my experience of it', or 'I want to replay the game but I hate that element'.

They say a good movie is 'three great scenes and no bad ones' and I think that holds true for games also. The Batmobile stuff, mainly the Bat-Tank, is a 'bad scene' - it's an element that affects the overall experience more than just its part in the game relative to the other parts of the game.

Skyward Sword is a game that I do not want to play again, in spite of the good things in it, because of its 'bad scenes', recurring stealth sequences and dowsing mini-games. Those combined might amount to less than 5% of the overall experience but its significance in the experience of playing the game is more than just that.

So coming off of Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, games that don't have any 'bad scenes' imo, Arkham Knight was arguably ruined by the Bat-Tank. That doesn't make it a horrendous game, that doesn't make it shit, but it's a single element that negatively impacted a game in a way more significant that the 'sum of its parts' in the product.

The shift is much bigger than just another gadget being used. They've added a fully blown shooter mechanic to a series that has never had something like that before, and it's something you have to engage with for a significant portion of your playthrough.

Plenty of people really dislike shooters, I think It's quite obvious why it's so divisive in this series.

Which is why I said "most of the Batmobile stuff consists of gadget usage."

Probably a sixth or a fifth of the main game involves the Batmobile in general, and of that, maybe half is in the tank? Again, I can't say for certain what portion of the game it takes up considering I did all the side-missions which mostly feature on-foot stuff.

My point is: if it's Batmobile in general people are apprehensive about, it's mostly no different from gadget puzzles in past games, and a portion of that is tank stuff, something entirely new. It doesn't dominate the game and it's periodic segments, unless you have to replay them repeatedly, or you go out of your way to do the optional tank segments that are focused on that aspect of gameplay.

Functionally inoffensive? That doesn't really matter when it's such a distinct change from what has gone before, when they're a definite flavour that some people just don't enjoy.

They feature often enough that if you really dislike the mechanic it will frustrate or bring down the overall experience. How much it brings it down depends just how much you dislike it.

I don't know how else to tell you that I understood this. Perfectly. Do you get what I'm speaking to?

Neither do I.

EDIT: Missed this:

'Ruining a game' doesn't have to take it from a 10/10 to a 0/10.

It could be 'I love this game, but this one fucking thing ruined my experience of it', or 'I want to replay the game but I hate that element'.

They say a good movie is 'three great scenes and no bad ones' and I think that holds true for games also. The Batmobile stuff, mainly the Bat-Tank, is a 'bad scene' - it's an element that affects the overall experience more than just its part in the game relative to the other parts of the game.

Skyward Sword is a game that I do not want to play again, in spite of the good things in it, because of its 'bad scenes', recurring stealth sequences and dowsing mini-games. Those combined might amount to less than 5% of the overall experience but its significance in the experience of playing the game is more than just that.

So coming off of Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, games that don't have any 'bad scenes' imo, Arkham Knight was arguably ruined by the Bat-Tank. That doesn't make it a horrendous game, that doesn't make it shit, but it's a single element that negatively impacted a game in a way more significant that the 'sum of its parts' in the product.
As I've said, it's no that people are voicing an opinion that's troubling, it's that so often, there are those who paint an inaccurate picture of the game. I can't say the village scene in Uncharted 2 dominates the game without people finding my opinion suspect — it's my opinion, but that doesn't mean it's a reasonable one.

Whether someone enjoys the tank in this game aside, they can assess how functional it is, or how often it's actually introduced into the game, or how well it's integrated into the other systems present.

We should all be able to agree on everything about a given aspect of a game aside from completely objective assessments such as whether it's fun — I believe we do for the most part, but you're misinterpreting my criticism with how some painting an inaccurate image of the game (e.g. "Batmobile controls terribly, here's a video of me proving I am controlling it poorly" or "the combat sucks, you can't counter against these guys you actually can counter against"). Someone can hold those opinions while ignoring comparable problems previous games had, but it would indicate it's more their experience rather than a criticism of the game proper, despite it being built up to be the latter.

No need to snap at him, he was only offering advice.

And it's good advice in that mixing up the secondary weapons adds a bit of variety to the standard tank battles.

I can understand the frustration with some people regarding it. I personally liked but can say the later part of the game was getting a little too dependent on the vehicular combat.

I liked how the final Arkham Knight/Red Hood boss battle was based on the stealth mechanics. Though, I would have liked it more if it took more inspiration from the Mr. Freeze fight from AC.

How the hell do you take out the tower that has 2 red lights pointed at you? You can only take out one at a time

If this is what I'm thinking of, you can disable one, disable whatever weapons enemies have on them, toss a smoke bomb into them and just take down as many as you can before the light moves back over you.

If it's one where you can't disable them (either using the disruptor or another control panel somewhere) then you just have to do the above, but it's harder

Lucreto

I have 62 upgrade points to spend and I don't know what to prioritise in spending them. I just finished the
Harley Quinn TV studio segment

Secondly how to you complete the Riddler trophy underground where you need the emp to deactivate a forcefield.

Luigi87

Damn, that's right. I didn't realize this game had secret achievements. Compared to Perfect Knight from City, this isn't so hard though.

Indeed.
Between the Rocksteady games, Arkham Knight is by far the easiest to attain all achievements for.

In the series whole, Origins is the most difficult.

The shooting isn't even a big deal, the problem is that it's one very specific form of shooting. When you're locked into a Batmobile combat sequence, you're basically having to play Tank Hovercraft Simulator 2015. That 60mm cannon is going to be slow firing, even with reload upgrades, so it'll always be this deliberate, sniping form of gameplay. That was okay for the first hour or two, but really gets old and tedious when you hit even the midway point of the game. You can't really use other weapons, since the vulcan cannon doesn't seem to do jack, so it's just sniping that cannon over and over again. The lack of any variety is not fun.

It doesn't help that a lot of the encounters are you being forced to defend a small area while they unload 15-20 tanks all around you in narrow city streets, leaving very little room for maneuvering.

hawk2025

The shooting isn't even a big deal, the problem is that it's one very specific form of shooting. When you're locked into a Batmobile combat sequence, you're basically having to play Tank Hovercraft Simulator 2015. That 60mm cannon is going to be slow firing, even with reload upgrades, so it'll always be this deliberate, sniping form of gameplay. That was okay for the first hour or two, but really gets old and tedious when you hit even the midway point of the game. You can't really use other weapons, since the vulcan cannon doesn't seem to do jack, so it's just sniping that cannon over and over again. The lack of any variety is not fun.

It doesn't help that a lot of the encounters are you being forced to defend a small area while they unload 15-20 tanks all around you in narrow city streets, leaving very little room for maneuvering.

No, no.

If you zoom in with the vulcan cannon, look for the weak spot on the tanks, and they go down in a couple of shots. Completely changes the dynamics of the tank battles.

Amazed to see so many people defend the tank battles. Rocksteady clearly got way too carried away with them. The fact that you can upgrade the Batmobile to make these battles slightly easier doesn't negate the fact they're padding. VERY bad padding at that.

watdaeff4

Beat the game, did all the Most Wanted side missions except for all the Riddler Trophies. I am about only 1/3 of them collected. I'm done, they are too painful for me, I watched the 'true' ending on Youtube and called it a day.

I wound up liking the game more at the end then when I started, but still my least favorite Arkham game.

Chitown B

The shift is much bigger than just another gadget being used. They've added a full-blown shooter mechanic to a series that has never had something like that before, and it's something you have to engage with for a significant portion of your playthrough.

word.

Batman doesn't use guns. Yet 30% of the game is using a tank with a gun.

erawsd

Amazed to see so many people defend the tank battles. Rocksteady clearly got way too carried away with them. The fact that you can upgrade the Batmobile to make these battles slightly easier doesn't negate the fact they're padding. VERY bad padding at that.

Theres nothing amazing about opinions. Some people love the tank battles and think they make a great "third pillar" alongside predator and free flow gameplay, others hate them and think their overuse drags down the entire experience. Some people enjoy things others dont... its that simple.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is there any trick to finding Riddler's henchmen besides driving around in circles?

I'm missing a couple of things off the Arkham HQ map, and everything from the airship and I can't find a single henchman.

Sadly, no. I also had a hell of a time finding any when I was close to finishing and needed a few more spots filled out.

While I can't say this is a consistent method, I did find them more frequently on the first and second islands since there also seems to be more cars driving around to takedown. I would fly around with detective mode in giant circles for awhile looking for any green.

Zakalwe

Banned
Which is why I said "most of the Batmobile stuff consists of gadget usage."

Probably a sixth or a fifth of the main game involves the Batmobile in general, and of that, maybe half is in the tank? Again, I can't say for certain what portion of the game it takes up considering I did all the side-missions which mostly feature on-foot stuff.

My point is: if it's Batmobile in general people are apprehensive about, it's mostly no different from gadget puzzles in past games, and a portion of that is tank stuff, something entirely new. It doesn't dominate the game and it's periodic segments, unless you have to replay them repeatedly, or you go out of your way to do the optional tank segments that are focused on that aspect of gameplay.

I don't know how else to tell you that I understood this. Perfectly. Do you get what I'm speaking to?

Neither do I.

It's very simple. Some people don't like the tank battle sections and there are enough of them in game that aren't optional for their overall enjoyment/opinion of the game to be skewed by this.

That's it, it's not complex. And if you dislike something enough then it always feels like it takes longer. Why do you think work always drags but your weekends fly by?

word.

Actually, Batman has used guns.

He's even killed a man before.

DC30.jpg

Batman's lore is convoluted and contradictory at times, what's important to remember here is:

Batman has access to almost unlimited technology.
Batman is always prepared.

So Batman having a tank just in case he ever needs it is perfectly in character. And as he's historically used guns before you can't fall back on the argument he's never used them.

All the tank stuff is so overdone, they literally brought thousands of tanks to gotham somehow and Batman's one car takes them all out.

Same could be said of the militia and street thugs that Batman takes out by hand... plus all the villains.

Prototype

Man, some of you guys are crazy.

We get to be batman and cruise around the city in the batmobile.

Even though super graphnel boost is faster I find my self driving more often then not because how fun and powerful the batmobile feels. You don't really get stuck on anything in the environment because the batmobile just smashes through everything. Side swiping other vehicles feels great, or just straight up ramming them at full speed.. I love it.

I've always wanted to be able to play the batmobile, and I think Rocksteady delivered. While the hand to hand combat is better than ever, they have added a ton of extra moves, it's nice to change the pace with the batmobile tank sections, where things a bit more simple, yet can still get really hectic.

I feel like without the addition of the batmobile, it wouldn't have felt like a new game. It would have just been City again, in a larger city with a different story. I love City to death, and it's still probably my favorite game, so I didn't really need more of the same. I'm glad they mixed it up.

To me knight feels like a proper sequel to City. It ups the stakes, ups the crazy, and ups the gadgets - the batmobile being the biggest and baddest gadget of them all. And it does what it should do in a sequel, add a big new element to the series that's a natural part of the characters/games history. If all the batmobile did was drive, it wouldn't have been as interesting.

Bring on the batmobile dlc. I've been fighting dudes on foot for 3 games. The change of pace is nice. And gives me more reasons to come back and keep playing it. Since beating the game on normal and ng+ challenges and just messing around in the world are all that's left. And fucking around in the batmobile is a huge part of that for me.

If I had a complaint, it's hiding the ending behind Ridler trophies, I will get them all at some point, but, like many others, I just watched the final part on youtube.

Also, I wish catwomen wasn't locked away the whole game. Would have liked to see her more involved in the story.

Batmobile as a whole was a great addition, and if you haven't played the game, give it a shot don't listen the negative hyperbole in this thread.
It's really not the end if the world.

Chitown B

Actually, Batman has used guns.

He's even killed a man before.

DC30.jpg

Batman's lore is convoluted and contradictory at times, what's important to remember here is:

Batman has access to almost unlimited technology.
Batman is always prepared.

So Batman having a tank just in case he ever needs it is perfectly in character. And as he's historically used guns before you can't fall back on the argument he's never used them.

While you know more about it than I, my statement was that he doesn't use them, which as a general rule seems to be true in everything I've ever seen. There may be exceptions but he doesn't go on a gun rampage as far as I can tell.

Verendus

Banned
I agree with everyone who didn't really like the Batmobile's inclusion.

I think the game is great, but the Batmobile missions are just too repetitive, and its inclusion seems forced in a lot of instances. I've had a month to think about it, and my opinion hasn't changed. It does kind of drag down the game a little. Had they fixed some of the design and pacing issues surrounding that aspect, this game would've been amazing for me.

It's pretty great as it is, but that just happens to be the one big glaring flaw in my eyes. I don't mind racing around in it, and kind of like having it for general use, but it's just too much of a part of the overall game, and to its detriment. Less is more in this case, I feel. I can definitely see how this could be a game breaker for a lot of people, so I don't see the negativity as an issue. It does have a significant effect on the flow of the game.

Zakalwe

Banned
While you know more about it than I, my statement was that he doesn't use them, which as a general rule seems to be true in everything I've ever seen. There may be exceptions but he doesn't go on a gun rampage as far as I can tell.

No he doesn't, but it's perfectly in character for him to have a piece of tech like the bat tank.

I can understand why some might find it jarring, but for me it felt like a natural extension of Batman's technical mastery and gadget wizardry.

Luigi87

end gameish spoiler.

So are you able to
Joker
Batmobile in a new game+ or anything?

No. Showcase locks you out. Pretty dumb really.

word.

True, but they actually address this in-universe.
A part of what led Batman to having Lucius to make the Batmobile into what it was, was Joker subconsciously guiding his decisions. This is mentioned by Joker himself, and referenced in the Gotham City Story "Change of Heart". Ironically in a way a part of the reason Batman was able to save Gotham was thanks to the Joker.

Chitown B

I agree with everyone who didn't really like the Batmobile's inclusion.

I think the game is great, but the Batmobile missions are just too repetitive, and its inclusion seems forced in a lot of instances. I've had a month to think about it, and my opinion hasn't changed. It does kind of drag down the game a little. Had they fixed some of the design and pacing issues surrounding that aspect, this game would've been amazing for me.

It's pretty great as it is, but that just happens to be the one big glaring flaw in my eyes.

you've had it a month? It's been out two weeks.

Reedirect

The ending was so disappointing to me that I can't force myself to complete the rest to see the true ending. An exceptional game otherwise, but the finale truly angered me. I just spent 30+ hours with the game, finished the story and I don't even get to see the credits? I'm ok with the idea of an extra cutscene for people who 100% it, but it's handled in such a clumsy and unsatisfying way that the moment I
dropped off Crane at the GCPD and was told I need to bring in 3 more Most Wanted, I was like: "Ok, this is terrible and I'm so done."

Zakalwe

Banned
The ending was so disappointing to me that I can't force myself to complete the rest to see the true ending. An exceptional game otherwise, but the finale truly angered me. I just spent 30+ hours with the game, finished the story and I don't even get to see the credits? I'm ok with the idea of an extra cutscene for people who 100% it, but it's handled in such a clumsy and unsatisfying way that the moment I
dropped off Crane at the GCPD and was told I need to bring in 3 more Most Wanted, I was like: "Ok, this is terrible and I'm so done."

Really? I thought it was the best transition from end to post game free-roam I'd ever seen.

If you don't want to finish it up or the other endings, just youtube it. For everyone who wants to 100% the game it's a nice reward.

I think it's brilliantly done.

Am I the only one who is still "ok" with the Batmobile, now that I have completed most of the stupid missions?

I think more people would not hate the Batmobile Boss fights, IF they actually had a good fight afterwards hand to hand, or a clever fight like MR Freeze. Hell even copying fights from previous games would have been fine, But basically replacing all Boss fights with Batmobile Tank battles is kinda lame.

Still like the Batmobile itself, the game just needed more content that the Batmobile kinda took up space for...

Also terrible driving controls --->>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68xmjT4Cu1w

Chitown B

True, but they actually address this in-universe.
A part of what led Batman to having Lucius to make the Batmobile into what it was, was Joker subconsciously guiding his decisions. This is mentioned by Joker himself, and referenced in the Gotham City Story "Change of Heart". Ironically in a way a part of the reason Batman was able to save Gotham was thanks to the Joker.

neat, thanks. I didn't see that.

Luigi87

there are spots in the game where you have to open doors and then mow people down with the batmobile guns.

Oh those sequences it automatically switches to a non-lethal high pressured bean bag essentially (you can tell due to the way it fires slow shots, and even makes a piston firing sound for pressure fire).
The goons on the street, as well as the Arkham Knight mention it. Something akin to being kicked by a elephant or something (I can't remember the quote)

Oh those sequences it automatically switches to a non-lethal high pressured bean bag essentially (you can tell due to the way it fires slow shots, and even makes a piston firing sound for pressure fire).
The goons on the street, as well as the Arkham Knight mention it. Something akin to being kicked by a elephant or something (I can't remember the quote)

And then you run over the knocked out bad guys as you peel out lol

Top Bottom