• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Oh those sequences it automatically switches to a non-lethal high pressured bean bag essentially (you can tell due to the way it fires slow shots, and even makes a piston firing sound for pressure fire).
The goons on the street, as well as the Arkham Knight mention it. Something akin to being kicked by a elephant or something (I can't remember the quote)

Punched by an angry gorilla.(Yes, I've been hunting riddles for quite some time now.)

Verendus

Banned
Oh those sequences it automatically switches to a non-lethal high pressured bean bag essentially (you can tell due to the way it fires slow shots, and even makes a piston firing sound for pressure fire).
The goons on the street, as well as the Arkham Knight mention it. Something akin to being kicked by a elephant or something (I can't remember the quote)
The electricity thing was hilarious.

I basically became my own villain. The Electrocutioner.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Yeah, they say it's like being punched by a gorilla.

It's pretty flimsy in the actual world it plays out in though, since you can obviously still run over their bodies on the floor, and even if it has that shock measure in place, a bigass vehicle like this boosting into you is still going to kill you. I found it pretty hilarious though. Same with the APC takedowns where you sideswipe people into buildings and flip cars.

I mean at that point, its just a video game. Lest the game is gonna add a little scooper to move the people out the way

Its just funny that they did kinda try and go out of the way to make it that you can't use lethal rounds on bad guys and such, they make a point of it, yet you can mow them down left and right by driving over everyone and often do it in any of the driving missions by accident.

Reedirect

Really? I thought it was the best transition from end to post game free-roam I'd ever seen.

If you don't want to finish it up or the other endings, just youtube it. For everyone who wants to 100% the game it's a nice reward.

I think it's brilliantly done.

It makes sense story-wise and I totally appreciate that, but it's so damn unsatisfying to see the main story end like one of the side-quests, with no real punch and just a bunch of Riddler trophies to find before you're "worthy" of the true ending.

Luigi87

It makes sense story-wise and I totally appreciate that, but it's so damn unsatisfying to see the main story end like one of the side-quests, with no real punch and just a bunch of Riddler trophies to find before you're "worthy" of the true ending.

I get what you mean. It's really neat in-universe wise to add cohesion the whole, but it prevents closure to the primary plot. City of Fear on its own takes up 46% of the whole, so an initial set of credits would have been nice, and then after someone completes 100% Knightfall, the full set. It's weird that people can't even activate the Incomplete version without hitting a certain threshold.

Papercuts

I get what you mean. It's really neat in-universe wise to add cohesion the whole, but it prevents closure to the primary plot. City of Fear on its own takes up 46% of the whole, so an initial set of credits would have been nice, and then after someone completes 100% Knightfall, the full set. It's weird that people can't even activate the Incomplete version without hitting a certain threshold.

What's especially weird is the incomplete one can kinda screw you over if you actually do TOO MANY side missions beforehand. I thought my game bugged out because I was getting ingame talk about it, and tried to activate it but nothing ingame changed. I actually looked up a video about where to go to see if I could do anything, but it seemed like I needed to capture another most wanted target to even trigger anything, but I already had everyone sans
Deathstroke and Riddler
, so I had to do just about everything in the game to even see that part.

They definitely could have done it more elegantly.

What's especially weird is the incomplete one can kinda screw you over if you actually do TOO MANY side missions beforehand. I thought my game bugged out because I was getting ingame talk about it, and tried to activate it but nothing ingame changed. I actually looked up a video about where to go to see if I could do anything, but it seemed like I needed to capture another most wanted target to even trigger anything, but I already had everyone sans
Deathstroke and Riddler
, so I had to do just about everything in the game to even see that part.

They definitely could have done it more elegantly.

Did the in-game dialogue mention having to clear up the rest of the enemies first? It's weird that there wasn't better acknowledgement of the possibility people might not activate that protocol after getting 100%.

It's very simple. Some people don't like the tank battle sections and there are enough of them in game that aren't optional for their overall enjoyment/opinion of the game to be skewed by this.

That's it, it's not complex. And if you dislike something enough then it always feels like it takes longer. Why do you think work always drags but your weekends fly by?

We're talking past each other, or at least me saying "I get what you're saying, but..." isn't being put clearly enough.

The Riddler Trophy outside his mansion. How do you pick it up? I've tried pretty much everything.

208650_2015-07-07_0004zjie.jpg

Sober

Decided to fire up Arkham City and play around in the combat challenge maps.

Now the Joker Funhouse challenge is an actual challenge. Also I miss kinda having armoured dudes. Maybe not in combat cause brutes work about the same but having armoured dudes in predator maps that can carry different stuff like jammers/DTM scanners and stuff... what a shame they just replaced them with minigun dudes.

Freeflow focus time slow down and batswarm are OP as fuck in City/Origins though. Way too easy to create some breathing room. But then again the AK challenges actually don't give you any room, period.

Decided to fire up Arkham City and play around in the combat challenge maps.

Now the Joker Funhouse challenge is an actual challenge. Also I miss kinda having armoured dudes. Maybe not in combat cause brutes work about the same but having armoured dudes in predator maps that can carry different stuff like jammers/DTM scanners and stuff... what a shame they just replaced them with minigun dudes.

Freeflow focus time slow down and batswarm are OP as fuck in City/Origins though. Way too easy to create some breathing room. But then again the AK challenges actually don't give you any room, period.

I'm really looking forward to more challenge maps down the line here. The combat challenges could be more interesting, but the few predator ones are all great.

I'd like to see some combat ones feature the drone turrets from the main game to add some challenge, since that was the hardest fight-related element in the game imo.

Papercuts

Did the in-game dialogue mention having to clear up the rest of the enemies first? It's weird that there wasn't better acknowledgement of the possibility people might not activate that protocol after getting 100%.

Nah, it really seemed bugged when it happened(I think I even posted here about it).

I could activate the protocol and have batman talk to alfred that he's ready to start, which alfred says alright towards(and to go to the GCPD spot, but it's sorta vague). But then it just said to select a mission from the wheel and gave no markers to go anywhere.

After I got deathstroke the cutscene where he's in the cell had Alfred pop up afterwards saying it's ready, which was really weird. So I didn't get the incompletete ending until I had 13/14 which seemed to be due to beating the game at 12/14.

Drayco21

Nah, it really seemed bugged when it happened(I think I even posted here about it).

I could activate the protocol and have batman talk to alfred that he's ready to start, which alfred says alright towards. But then it just said to select a mission from the wheel and gave no markers to go anywhere.

After I got deathstroke the cutscene where he's in the cell had Alfred pop up afterwards saying it's ready, which was really weird. So I didn't get the incompletete ending until I had 13/14 which seemed to be due to beating the game at 12/14.

I can verify that the exact same happened to me.
Was able to tell Alfred to activate the protocol, would get a message to go to the GCPD, and then nothing. Everything was fine after taking down Deathstroke.

Sober

I'm really looking forward to more challenge maps down the line here. The combat challenges could be more interesting, but the few predator ones are all great.

I'd like to see some combat ones feature the drone turrets from the main game to add some challenge, since that was the hardest fight-related element in the game imo.
There were drone turrets in the fights? I don't remember this.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if some of the maps were some of the larger arenas like the Stagg Airship fight, which is the only big arena I can think of ATM. I thought even the Briefing Room fight felt a little tight, though it probably was at least as big as the courthouse if not a little more. Maybe the Chinatown square? There weren't a lot of good fight arenas period. The Missile Command Room was disappointing too.

Wow, there really weren't a lot of big arena fights. Plenty of good indoor predator ones though. And some of the Founder's Island watchtowers were really good too, those could easily be cordoned off as challenge maps. Now I wish I could just hit a button (other than NG+) to respawn all the Militia stuff.

Holy SHIT I hate the Batman Tank Combat side missions. 48 enemies. 48! For only one part of the mission! Why did they think this would be fun?!

Would I miss out in any way by just finishing the story now, and the rest of the side content post story? Or should I do the side stuff before finishing the last story mission.

I'm at about 3/4 done overall with the game (like 85 - 90% or something on the story, and most of the most wanted stuff done). At this point I can easily say that for me this is the worst of the Arkham games, and I would attribute a huge chunk of that to the Batmobile, and some story choices. For me, Rocksteady really jumped the shark on this one. This was my most anticipated game for the year, and it has been such a disappointment. Such wasted boss battle possibilities, why do I have a fist fight against
Pyg
but
Deathstroke, the one person close to Batman's skill in combat is a fucking tank battle. A terrible awful one at that too.

I could activate the protocol and have batman talk to alfred that he's ready to start, which alfred says alright towards(and to go to the GCPD spot, but it's sorta vague). But then it just said to select a mission from the wheel and gave no markers to go anywhere.

I can verify that the exact same happened to me.
Was able to tell Alfred to activate the protocol, would get a message to go to the GCPD, and then nothing. Everything was fine after taking down Deathstroke.

That's weird. It probably happened for me too, but I just went ahead and did everything before going to the roof.

There were drone turrets in the fights? I don't remember this.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if some of the maps were some of the larger arenas like the Stagg Airship fight, which is the only big arena I can think of ATM. I thought even the Briefing Room fight felt a little tight, though it probably was at least as big as the courthouse if not a little more. Maybe the Chinatown square? There weren't a lot of good fight arenas period. The Missile Command Room was disappointing too.

Wow, there really weren't a lot of big arena fights. Plenty of good indoor predator ones though. And some of the Founder's Island watchtowers were really good too, those could easily be cordoned off as challenge maps. Now I wish I could just hit a button (other than NG+) to respawn all the Militia stuff.

I was partially mistaken — I was thinking of the checkpoints with armed enemies, but they weren't really like predator sequences. Some of them had those massive turrets around that you could disable and cause them to blow up, knocking out surrounding enemies.

Though there were some that had wall mounted turrets. i liked having to really plan out an attack, and would love more challenge maps of just different types of checkpoints.

pots555

So, if I understand correctly, I have to get all of the Riddler trophies to get the true ending? I just hate getting those trophies. Never bothered with them with the other games. Please tell me this is not true.

Sober

I was partially mistaken — I was thinking of the checkpoints with armed enemies, but they weren't really like predator sequences. Some of them had those massive turrets around that you could disable and cause them to blow up, knocking out surrounding enemies.

Though there were some that had wall mounted turrets. i liked having to really plan out an attack, and would love more challenge maps of just different types of checkpoints.
Oh right, I remember those now. Hence why I would love a button to just undo checkpoints and watchtowers, because those are different from discrete challenge maps in that you can run the fuck away if you need to. And that you have to finish a fight before the thing comes back up or you have to run away and set it up again.

In fact I also wouldn't mind challenge maps or campaigns or something that gave me an island or something with 3-5 towers/checkpoints, patrols, etc. and just told me to clear it as fast as I could. Like a really large mixed room with traversal involved.

Luigi87

So, if I understand correctly, I have to get all of the Riddler trophies to get the true ending? I just hate getting those trophies. Never bothered with them with the other games. Please tell me this is not true.

It is true.

Go to YouTube, as someone who 100'd and got the Plat trophy... I recommend YouTube.

Grady

The "A Leap of Faith" trophy. Fuck it, and fuck it haaaaard.

That one wasnt too bad for me. About 30 minutes to get it to pop. 12 different jumps. That 15 move freeflow trophy though, wtf. Took me like 2 hours. Pretty sure i got lucky on that one.

Oh right, I remember those now. Hence why I would love a button to just undo checkpoints and watchtowers, because those are different from discrete challenge maps in that you can run the fuck away if you need to. And that you have to finish a fight before the thing comes back up or you have to run away and set it up again.

In fact I also wouldn't mind challenge maps or campaigns or something that gave me an island or something with 3-5 towers/checkpoints, patrols, etc. and just told me to clear it as fast as I could. Like a really large mixed room with traversal involved.

That would be good. It would better take advantage of the open world.

I have no frame of reference for that, only what you've shown in this thread, praising the obviously worst game in the series.

AMEN

Dude maybe to you it's the worst, but there's different opinions, I for one put this one only behind Asylum. Plus come on bro you went through most of the game not knowing you throw a batarang at a charging enemy to take them down despite the tutorial being plastered everywhere. And if your posts are anything to go by it definitely hindered your enjoyment of the game, can only blame yourself for that part.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just got 100%, watched the true ending.
I actually liked it. Ripped from DKR, but still a pretty good conclusion.
Kinda lame that they locked it behind the full completion, because it's really not the 'good' ending, but the only ending. You need to watch it on yt if you're not going for the Riddler stuff.

Platinum, man I don't know... 69 stars is a lot, and I'm not ready for more tank stuff or riddler races. Probably time for a break.

Doing the 'Run through the Jungle' trophy felt great, so tense when you have to make a low glide under a bridge.

No, no.

If you zoom in with the vulcan cannon, look for the weak spot on the tanks, and they go down in a couple of shots. Completely changes the dynamics of the tank battles.
You can zoom!? I wonder if one of the problems with the Bat Tank segments is that that game never really tells you what you can do or how you should play them.

Chitown B

Dude maybe to you it's the worst, but there's different opinions, I for one put this one only behind Asylum. Plus come on bro you went through most of the game not knowing you throw a batarang at a charging enemy to take them down despite the tutorial being plastered everywhere. And if your posts are anything to go by it definitely hindered your enjoyment of the game, cab only blame yourself for that part.

You can zoom!? I wonder if one of the problems with the Bat Tank segments is that that game never really tells you what you can do or how you should play them.

I rest my case.

Top Bottom