• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Question for those who've played the game past the first few hours. I haven't played Arkham City, but I did play Arkham Asylum (years ago). Slightly spoilery for those who haven't played the scene but I tagged the important stuff. My question is this: did this unfold the same way for you, too?

I discovered a Riddler trial early in the game,
the first one where you drive through the tunnel and tap L1 to open and close the doors, which I failed to understand during my first attempt
. When I got to that mission he taunted me as I went down the elevator in the batmobile. I didn't realize how to do the puzzle (for the reason listed in the spoiler above) so I eventually backed out of the trial and went back up the elevator.

Of course, Mr. Nigma laughed at me and taunted me for chickening out, which I thought was a very nice touch. I didn't return to this trial for a while.

Okay, so later on I approached the mission where Mr. Nigma
taunts me from a billboard screen, claiming to have a friend of mine in captivity at an Orphanage.
So I head in that direction and
get spooked by that jump-scare. Thanks Rocksteady!
and then I get to the destination. Once I get inside and make some progress with what I find there, Riddler tells me I can't progress anymore! WHAT?! He says I need to go back and complete that first challenge.

No big deal. Games do this all the time. This wasn't a big surprise, so then I truck my way back. BUT THEN
as I'm heading down the elevator, he is taunting me for coming back and said something like "I can't believe I had to kidnap your friend in order to get you to take my challenges seriously"
or something like that. Throughout the challenge, he keeps mentioning the above, which he DIDN'T do during my first play of the trial.

I asked my buddy if this was his experience. He'd completed the first trial before reaching the
Orphanage
and said that he never got such a dialog.

I am just...blown away. This is somewhat common in open-world RPGs, but I've never seen player choice respected in this way in an action game in a very long time. It was pretty cool. Thank you for reading my rant. This game rocks.

What's the trick on getting multipliers in tank related AR missions?

Strike and dodge, strike and dodge. Aim for the light on the small tanks and shoot it with the machine gun for a one-hit kill to give you more breathing room. If you can, find an alleyway or nook that's one-way-only so you can keep everyone in front of you.

Question for those who've played the game past the first few hours. I haven't played Arkham City, but I did play Arkham Asylum (years ago). Slightly spoilery for those who haven't played the scene but I tagged the important stuff. My question is this: did this unfold the same way for you, too?

the first one where you drive through the tunnel and tap L1 to open and close the doors, which I failed to understand during my first attempt
. When I got to that mission he taunted me as I went down the elevator in the batmobile. I didn't realize how to do the puzzle (for the reason listed in the spoiler above) so I eventually backed out of the trial and went back up the elevator.

Of course, Mr. Nigma laughed at me and taunted me for chickening out, which I thought was a very nice touch. I didn't return to this trial for a while.

taunts me from a billboard screen, claiming to have a friend of mine in captivity at an Orphanage.
and then I get to the destination. Once I get inside and make some progress with what I find there, Riddler tells me I can't progress anymore! WHAT?! He says I need to go back and complete that first challenge.

No big deal. Games do this all the time. This wasn't a big surprise, so then I truck my way back. BUT THEN
as I'm heading down the elevator, he is taunting me for coming back and said something like "I can't believe I had to kidnap your friend in order to get you to take my challenges seriously"
or something like that. Throughout the challenge, he keeps mentioning the above, which he DIDN'T do during my first play of the trial.

I asked my buddy if this was his experience. He'd completed the first trial before reaching the
Orphanage

I am just...blown away. This is somewhat common in open-world RPGs, but I've never seen player choice respected in this way in an action game in a very long time. It was pretty cool. Thank you for reading my rant. This game rocks.

Yeah, Rocksteady has a pretty amazing eye for detail when it comes to things like that.

erawsd

Orphanage

Yes, that happen to me as well.

Yes, that happen to me as well.

Yeah, Rocksteady has a pretty amazing eye for detail when it comes to things like that.
Wow that's really cool. I'm sure it's not quite as impressive for those who've played Arkham City and/or Origins, but I missed those two. The open-world is just blowing my mind. It feels very well put together. Even cutscenes in the open world feel incredibly fluid. Doesn't feel like I'm just walking awkwardly into a glowing neon circle, cut to black, and then I'm watching a pre-rendered cutscene.

I wonder if what I described with Riddler also happens in other parts of the game in other situations. No spoilers, please, but for those who are further in the game (or have beaten it) a simple "Yes, that happens in other parts too" or "No" would suffice.

Wow that's really cool. I'm sure it's not quite as impressive for those who've played Arkham City and/or Origins, but I missed those two. The open-world is just blowing my mind. It feels very well put together. Even cutscenes in the open world feel incredibly fluid. Doesn't feel like I'm just walking awkwardly into a glowing neon circle, cut to black, and then I'm watching a pre-rendered cutscene.

I wonder if what I described with Riddler also happens in other parts of the game in other situations. No spoilers, please, but for those who are further in the game (or have beaten it) a simple "Yes, that happens in other parts too" or "No" would suffice.

A lot of little touches such as those happen throughout the game, Rocksteady always adds those types of things in the Arkham games, it's pretty damn cool.

Nori Chan

Orphanage

I love that there is so much dialogue in the game. I did EVERY side mission after I beat the main story and
most of the villains while I was driving them back to GCPD mentioned something about the Bats being Bruce Wayne. Riddler and somebody else didn't say anything. Two face was definitely the most interesting to hear.

It does, and on a pretty satisfying scale, too. That's all I'll say.

Vire

It does, and on a pretty satisfying scale, too. That's all I'll say.

Yup, it's why I'm doing things differently on my NG+ playthrough.

You definitely don't need to as no other DLC in the series has required it and this particular one is a prequel.

What are ya'll referencing? Just spoil tag it for me.

One neat touch that I really loved unrelated to Riddler and just out in the open world:

Was seeing the billboards in the city change from normal advertisements to subtle hallucinations of Joker. The game doesn't explicitly point it out to you, but if you turn one way it'll look normal, and then if do a 360 it's the twisted Joker incarnation.
Really amazing attention to detail.

What are ya'll referencing? Just spoil tag it for me.

One neat touch that I really loved unrelated to Riddler and just out in the open world:

Was seeing the billboards in the city change from normal advertisements to subtle hallucinations of Joker. The game doesn't explicitly point it out to you, but if you turn one way it'll look normal, and then if do a 360 it's the twisted Joker incarnation.
Really amazing attention to detail

Not so much based on player choice, but
dialogue with side mission villains is completely different before his identity is revealed and afterward

Vire

dialogue with side mission villains is completely different before his identity is revealed and afterward

Ah really neat, I didn't know that. Here's some other cool optional dialogue
that happens dependent on if you complete the side quests before or after the main game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duUKtnct5qw

I missed out on a few of these since
I locked up Slade, Chief and Riddler after I beat the game.

Man, I started flipping through some of those videos from the same user and
All of the Joker dialogue involving the Riddler/Catwoman sidequest is some of the funniest shit ever. The jabs at Talia are pretty damn dark, though.

Evo X

Oh cool. Something to keep in mind for NG+

Ah really neat, I didn't know that. Here's some other cool optional dialogue
that happens dependent on if you complete the side quests before or after the main game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duUKtnct5qw

I missed out on a few of these since
I locked up Slade, Chief and Riddler after I beat the game.

You also get unique
Joker
dialogue if you go back and
visit the bad guys in the cell later. My favorite one is the fire chief, where Joker says something along the lines of, "Breaking the law for the greater good? You're not NEARLY rich enough to get away with that!"
lol

KyleCross

My girlfriend wants the season pass for her birthday, which is tomorrow. I'm getting it for her but I have a question; She has the Steam version and I know the game has been pulled from Steam, does this affect the season pass at all?

My girlfriend wants the season pass for her birthday, which is tomorrow. I'm getting it for her but I have a question; She has the Steam version and I know the game has been pulled from Steam, does this affect the season pass at all?

yes. this and potentially other season pass stuff is being delayed on PC.

the Batgirl DLC isn't coming out for the PC tomorrow if that's what she's expecting

Vire

Oh cool. Something to keep in mind for NG+

You also get unique
Joker
dialogue if you go back and
visit the bad guys in the cell later. My favorite one is the fire chief, where Joker says something along the lines of, "Breaking the law for the greater good? You're not NEARLY rich enough to get away with that!"
lol

Haha, whoever wrote his lines must have had a blast. Some really funny twisted/stuff in this game.

Seriously? So straight up PC gets nothing until it's fixed?

It's from their release about modifying their internal review process for future games. They didn't explicitly say that PC gets nothing until the game is fixed, but that seems to be the suggestion, without any information on when exactly that might be.

Our continued focus on getting the right PC fixes in place for the main game has had an impact on the development of all DLC content for the PC version of the game. This means that the Batman: Arkham Knight – Batgirl: A Matter of FamilyDLC will not be available on July 14th for those who are currently playing the PC version of the game. We apologize for the delay and only want to make sure that any content that we offer is up to the standards that PC players expect.

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Sup...C-Version-of-Arkham-Knight/m-p/605229#U605229

aro52

Don't really want to pony up for the season pass, but still super tempted, so I can play this now! :/

Not yet, looks like this weeks new releases are out already but the DLC isn't showing yet. Keep searching on the web store, looking at AK add-on content and my download list but not seeing it yet.

No Vanishing of Ethan Carter yet. :/

Just finished the game on PC. I had minimal issues with it at 60fps, but there was some bad audio sync and the jiggle on Ivy seemed to be all over the place for some reason.

As much as I really enjoyed the bulk of the gameplay (terrible sections of
sneak up behind tanks and shoot their butt withstanding
), but the sub 100% ending was awful, and the 100% ending was perhaps more awful.

The amount of love put into this game is admirable as hell. All the situational dialogue, choices, and visual detail are absolutely commendable.

Basketball

If you're tempted to buy the season pass just for the BatGirl Dlc

Don't ..

wait a week you will get 6.99 worth of Warner Bros Content for sure

Meh

Not looking too good for the Dlc for this game

I swear if they screw up the challenge maps

Permanently A

Finally beat it 100%, so cathartic.

I really want some challenge maps though, the AR missions are such a pittance compared to them. I don't understand why you would have all these team ups and only include one in the AR missions. Imagine if you could mix and match your team ups!

So PSN hasn't put the DLC up from what I've heard but Xbox One does...

Oh well.

Last I saw on Xbox, the store didn't have it up, I had to use a trick to get it, thanks to an earlier post on here. Dunno anything about PSN, but I'm seeing a few people online are downloading it. There must be a way.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Nope they haven't officially been announced yet but they said by Christmas (which is an odd phrasing, usually 'holiday 2015')

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/batman-arkham-duo-remastered-for-ps4-and-xbox-one-/1100-6426085/

Great. Late enough to be not burned out by the Gameplay.
I hope they really put some effort in the Remasters, fix some of the Gameplay of Arkham Asylum to be more in line with AC and AK and tune up the graphics.

Really pumped to revisit the Asylum.

Makikou

I'm through about 70% of the game

Right now, i have that seismic activity on Miagani Island, and i've captured Professor Pyg (seriously what the fuck), Two-Face, Penguin, Man-bat, Hush and Firefly.

Funnily enough, even though i like the combat, i am a total scrub and have to resort playing on Easy - i really really like the
Campaign for Disarmament "missions" where you have to defeat drone hordes, it's so fun to fight with Bat-tank.

Ace001

Do we have a date yet for the Arkham Asylum and Arkham City Remasters?

I was about to play these on my PS3 because I never really got into them. But now I've competed the latest, I'm keen to go... Not sure if I should wait now

Anyone have any combat tips for me? I'm terrible. I just need one trophy more and its brutality 101... I'm so hopeless at combat compared to others

SomTervo

It may not be hard for you but it's damn near impossible for me. I am fully aware of the machine gun leading to one Shot kills, but it was much much easier said than done. It's very hard for me to do precision aiming in a very quick fashion, which is what those challenges require.

The problem with those challenges is that you have almost no margin for error. If you miss just once you're pretty much screwed. Is certainly go for those precision shots, but far too often I'd miss and before I know it I am in the crossfire of many different tanks and just getting spammed non stop with missiles.

It's not like combat or predator challenges where you can have some wiggle room to fix a mistake. In combat challenges you can easily jump spam to get yourself in a better position and avoid getting hit.

Because of my slower reflexes, I am at a major disadvantage when it comes to fast paced action like the batmobile sections. Combat and predator challenges are slower paced and much more methodical.

If I were to consider the batmobile in terms of just the game, I can say I merely didn't like it and was sick of it by the end of the game, but when considering the AR challenges it becomes the most hated thing I have seen in a game in quite some time.

Oh, I still find it hard. I have to agree with you that it's not very well balanced and there's no margin of error – though I suppose in a lot of Arkham Asylum and City's combat Challenge Rooms there was almost no margin of error either.

Still, I can't disagree that the tank AR challenges really aren't much fun and can be very frustrating. Sorry I patronised you with the critical hit explanation.

The only other possible tip I could offer would be to find the best placement in a level. Too often I found tank battles hard and frustrating until I placed myself in a spot between buildings or at the top of an incline, meaning the drones/missiles were 5x more likely to miss me. In some battles this literally made all the difference between utter frustration and an easy fight.

But I understand if they're really not for you anyway. Totally understand.

My favorite game over screen of all time . SPOILERS FOREVER DO NOT WATCH IF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED THE GAME AT ALL OR HAVEN'T PASSED ACE CHEMICALS

https://youtu.be/kE3oWEDNgXI?t=7m51s

Yeah, that is a fucking win, and I'm someone who resolves never to call anything a 'win'

It was kinda disappointing It was only around 1 hour long and all the missions were basically just go here rescue a hostage and defuse a bomb and sometimes team up with Robin. It was still fun though to play as Batgirl, its weird she felt more fluid and faster than Batman, maybe that's because I've improved combos but when I play as Robin in the Dual Play he's slow (or I'm imagining it ) :/

I hope Challenge Maps are the next DLC so I can have some replayability.

Top Bottom