• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

DirtyLarry

Purchased it from Best Buy GCU.
I beat the campaign. Had 57% total completion.
Traded it in at Amazon for $28 last week.
Played it a little bit more. Got to 65% total completion.
Sent it back today.
I spent approximately $20 to play it all things considered.
Money well spent for sure.
I just could not keep going on.
Kind of wish I finished the Riddler Challenges. Maybe I will rent it from GameFly one day to do so.

jtt935

So I just finished the game with 13/14 most wanted missions done and realized that I can't even GET an ending until I do all the Riddler stuff. I've always hated collecting those trophies because there's so many and it's just not fun to do and apparently this is also done intentionally as a way to encourage people to finish everything to get the true ending. Sorry but that's weak, I'm not feeling encouraged but punished for doing too much. Good game but this has left a sour taste in my mouth

Riddler trophies (and riddles) are one of the best things in the Arkham games imo. It let's you go back to all previous locations to see stuff that you've missed (maybe). And I love the riddles. The atmosphere in these games is amazing so I always collect the riddler stuff after I've done everything else.
I call it Arkham-Asylum-Syndrome.

Agent_J

Wow, that was one of the best ending scenes I've ever played. Holy crap, the ending is amazing.
I cheated and watched it on YouTube because some of these Riddler challenges, like the time trials, are frustrating. I never like time trials or speed runs, so I saved them for last. I'm 4 trials away from 100%! Watching the ending actually made me want to complete the game, because before that I wasn't motivated enough. Now I just want to shut up Mr. Nigma for taunting me the entire game, and his increasing anxiety and disbelief is fun to watch as I complete more of the final challenges.

I like the concept of these trophies because it really does allow the player to see nooks and crannies and secrets they otherwise would glance right over. They make you appreciate Rockstready's world even more.

But after getting every collectable in Asylum and City and now apart Knight, I'm done. I'm really hoping they don't do this again if they make another Batman game. But I have a feeling their next game with be Superman anyway, there's just way too many hints and way too many Easter Eggs about the Man of Steel in this game.

valkyre

Man I am very impressed by the technical department of this game. Yes the IQ isnt as crisp as other games but it suits the atmosphere perfectly. A lot of times the game looks like CG quality stuff. And most impressive is the fact that it is an open world game.

Am I part of the minority being so impressed by it or not? :)

Man I am very impressed by the technical department of this game. Yes the IQ isnt as crisp as other games but it suits the atmosphere perfectly. A lot of times the game looks like CG quality stuff. And most impressive is the fact that it is an open world game.

Am I part of the minority being so impressed by it or not? :)

I don't think so. It looks amazing. And this is still UE3.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Finished it. I really want to like this game, but the pacing was terrible as all hell and the forced Batmobile sections killed any hype I had from the previous mission. Like ARGHHHH, my emotions are all over the place for this game. There is too much filler in the game to keep me from giving it a high score, but the main missions are good enough to keep me from rating it low.

So I just finished the game with 13/14 most wanted missions done and realized that I can't even GET an ending until I do all the Riddler stuff. I've always hated collecting those trophies because there's so many and it's just not fun to do and apparently this is also done intentionally as a way to encourage people to finish everything to get the true ending. Sorry but that's weak, I'm not feeling encouraged but punished for doing too much. Good game but this has left a sour taste in my mouth

Yep, there's literally no ending unless you get all the riddler trophies. Unbelievable.

What's funny is that I actually collected them all in Asylum and City, when it was NOT mandatory and just for fun.

But the fact that they just cut a very important part of the game and expect me to follow happily for hours while they dangle that carrot is disguting so I'm just done with the game.

Yep, there's literally no ending unless you get all the riddler trophies. Unbelievable.

What's funny is that I actually collected them all in Asylum and City, when it was NOT mandatory and just for fun.

But the fact that they just cut a very important part of the game and expect me to follow happily for hours while they dangle that carrot is disguting so I'm just done with the game.

Pretty sure it's a glitch. I just finished NG+ and it let me initiate the protocol with only 7/14 .

Newlove

That's not entirely true. You can activate the protocol by doing everything else except the riddler trophies, get the cinematic and credits roll. There is one small additional scene that plays once you finish entirely.

What ? I did everything except the trophies and I'm just stuck in Gotham with nothing to do.

Do I have to go somewhere in order to initiate Knightfall ?

jtt935

Pretty sure it's a glitch. I just finished NG+ and it let me initiate the protocol with only 7/14 .

Nope it's intentional, if you complete 7-12 most wanted objectives you unlock the incomplete ending but as soon as you get the 13th, you're screwed. I was searching for answers to this thinking it was a glitch as well but saw someone from rocksteady admitting that this was by design

Am_I_Evil

Nothing, I'm at 97%, only thing left is Riddler.

Now that I think about it I didn't get any credits or trophy for completing the game.

same thing happened to me...i just gave up...it'd be nice to see an ending on a game i beat but i'm not wasting my time on all that riddler shit...

catspit

Do the riddler informants that you can interrogate for locations on your map stop showing up? (Green guys on the streets) I have like 8 more trophies on Bleake island but would rather find those guys than use an online guide....

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Do the riddler informants that you can interrogate for locations on your map stop showing up? (Green guys on the streets) I have like 8 more trophies on Bleake island but would rather find those guys than use an online guide....
They move to a different island if you find too many on one. So search around on a different island.

Porsche9146

Neo Member
Am I the only one that had no trouble at all with the
GCPD
fight? Seemed a lot easier than any of the big Cobra fights or even the bomb defense in Drescher.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
So I completed AK last night (spoilers ahead) and I’m not sure what to make of it, I think my enjoyment as be tainted by that fact that even though the only thing I need to complete is the Riddler mission (riddles sitting at around 75% and game 95% overall) I can’t initiate
protocol knightfall
, I have no real want to complete the riddles as they don’t seem as much fun as the previous games.

I watched the end cutscenes on YT and for the life of me can’t figure out what the point of the
demon batman
is, I mean if Bats/Robin/
Jason
is using
Scarecrows fear toxin
it’s a bit out of character, if it has some higher meaning it’s lost on me.

The missions for the most part were fun I guess, if a bit samey, I did have problems with the
Manbat
missions as they were just the same as taking down the drones throughout Gotham only using a different model.
Deathstrokes
mission was a joke and just a rehash of Arkham Kinghts
cloudburst tank mission
. Talking of rubbish Arkham Knight missions the
‘cat and mouse’ tunnel drilling machine was ridiculous and just seemed to be an excuse to reveal a reskinned version of the bat tank
. Oh and that one off mission where you have to
save the reporter
seemed to pointless and tacked on.

The bat tank missions in general were overused, it wasn’t a bad game mechanic, just over done. I had no issues with how it drove/handled like others.

The finale where
Red Hood
saves you just in time was a bit daft, if he was trailing you why wait until after you have taking the cowl off? I know batman said to
Jason he knew how it felt to be tortured by the Joker but it’s a bit of a stretch to think that he knew that Bruce was infected and had to use the fear toxin to ‘face his fear’ or whatever to be cured
. Also was Nightwings phone dead? Or did Alfred not try to make contact with him because
Batman sent him to Bludhaven
?

I actually felt sorry for
Joker
in the end, lol.

GeoGonzo

Ending spoilers:
The finale where
Red Hood
saves you just in time was a bit daft, if he was trailing you why wait until after you have taking the cowl off? I know batman said to
Jason he knew how it felt to be tortured by the Joker but it’s a bit of a stretch to think that he knew that Bruce was infected and had to use the fear toxin to ‘face his fear’ or whatever to be cured
. Also was Nightwings phone dead? Or did Alfred not try to make contact with him because
Batman sent him to Bludhaven
?

I actually felt sorry for
Joker
in the end, lol.
Some thoughts on these points:
I think Nightwing wasn't called because Oracle (and Alfred) think that Batman's plan was to honestly sacrifice himself for Tim. As a plan B, it probably was... but Batman is kind of a dick and (correctly) guessed that this is exactly what would trigger Jason's intervention, since his whole "I hate Batman" was built on top of Batman not caring about anyone and giving up on "Robin".

I watched the end cutscenes on YT and for the life of me can’t figure out what the point of the
demon batman
is, I mean if Bats/Robin/
Jason
is using
Scarecrows fear toxin
it’s a bit out of character, if it has some higher meaning it’s lost on me.

If you keep playing after you finish the last Scarecrow mission
and before you initiate the Knightfall protocol, you'll hear a lot of thugs comment on the Bruce Wayne reveal in various ways, like saying that Batman has lost all of his mystique now, how they can't believe the local thugs got beat up by a billionaire playboy for the last 10 years and so on. My favorite comment is when a thug says that he would have never thought that Bruce Wayne would be so wasteful with his inheritance and that he's really gone down in his estimation now. Basically, they're not afraid of him anymore and anyone else just taking up his mantle would face a massive uphill struggle getting some respect. As i recall, near the end Bruce even mentions to one of his allies (i think it's Catwoman), that the city needs something much worse or scarier than him now, setting up that final cut scene. Gordon as the narrator also mentions the "criminals are a superstitious cowardly lot" line at the end. Bruce obviously faked his death to protect the ones close to him, so at the end i think it's him using fear toxin to once again become more than just a man, to become a symbol of fear to the criminals of Gotham. I don't know if that's out of character for someone who routinely cracks bones.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
If you keep playing after you finish the last Scarecrow mission
and before you initiate the Knightfall protocol, you'll hear a lot of thugs comment on the Bruce Wayne reveal in various ways, like saying that Batman has lost all of his mystique now, how they can't believe the local thugs got beat up by a billionaire playboy for the last 10 years and so on. My favorite comment is when a thug says that he would have never thought that Bruce Wayne would be so wasteful with his inheritance and that he's really gone down in his estimation now. Basically, they're not afraid of him anymore and anyone else just taking up his mantle would face a massive uphill struggle getting some respect. As i recall, near the end Bruce even mentions to one of his allies (i think it's Catwoman), that the city needs something much worse or scarier than him now, setting up that final cut scene. Gordon as the narrator also mentions the "criminals are a superstitious cowardly lot" line at the end. Bruce obviously faked his death to protect the ones close to him, so at the end i think it's him using fear toxin to once again become more than just a man, to become a symbol of fear to the criminals of Gotham. I don't know if that's out of character for someone who routinely cracks bones.
Fair points actually, I never thought that
Bruce actually killed himself
, also there is the scene when Batman
injects Scarecrow with fear toxin, he then starts to see a 'demon Batman' and flips right out

Symphonia

Banned
This last drone fight is impossible. What the fuck, Rocksteady. I fuckin' hate you. Your ruined a really fun game with this bullshit. Thank you.
There are no impossible drone fights. There are some soul-crushing ones, sure, but a few upgrades and a planned strategy can see you through any fight. That last one
outside the GCPD
was tough, but so much fun. I had a lot of fun with all the drone fights, to be honest, which made
the bomb-defusing side mission
so much better to do.

about the end,
i don't think it's Bruce at the end, the fear toxin-like figure, he's gotten too old for this shit. i think it's a replacement, maybe Dick, or even Azrael. i don't think Bruce would ever use something as dangerous as the fear toxin.

"Hey guys you wanna know what will make a fun challenge?
Lets lock the Batmobile in a single square block with 5 entrances and have 45 drones rush at the same time,
hey what if we add 3 choppers and 2-3 missile tanks at the same time?
Don't forget that they have to kill all 45 without taking a single hit to get 3stars!"

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Do you want actual Metroid-like experience or just what Arkham Asylum did?

I were with Arkham City Style ok.

Just getting a reward to revisiting old areas and be able to open new ones with a kind of reward, not this shit that they have done in Arkham Knight, were you can revisit two areas and only get Riddler Trophys.

Top Bottom