• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

stn

I'm doing the last few militia stronghold quests. What's the best way to do them? They tend to have those huge cannon drones and armed enemies, not sure what to do about the drones.

Also, I read in this thread that the guys who glow green give up Riddler trophy locations? How? Never knew this, would help a lot.

I'm doing the last few militia stronghold quests. What's the best way to do them? They tend to have those huge cannon drones and armed enemies, not sure what to do about the drones.

Also, I read in this thread that the guys who glow green give up Riddler trophy locations? How? Never knew this, would help a lot.

You can use the disruptor on the drone cannons (upgrade needed). When they try to fire, they explode, knocking out everyone around them. Disruptor shots can also disable guns (two shots cause them to explode when fired).

The green highlighted guys can be interrogated by pressing triangle/Y near them if there are no (longer any conscious) enemies around.

Alpende

Disruptor gun is the answer.

Guys that glow green can be interrogated. Sometimes they run, sometimes they fight. If a green dude fights, don't knock him out but leave him until the rest are down, then you can press triangle to interrogate. If they run just chase them and press triangle.

They should remaster Arkham Asylum with Arkham Knight graphics.

Since Rocksteady seems to be done for now I assume any future anythings would be handled by WB Montreal.

Instead of just redoing a game we've already played I'd rather they just make another new game using the same Knight engine/assets like they did with Origins. Sure it probably wouldnt be as good as a Rocksteady game but at least it'd be something new.

Maybe we'd even get a few proper bossfights out of it.

Since Rocksteady seems to be done for now I assume any future anythings would be handled by WB Montreal.

Instead of just redoing a game we've already played I'd rather they just make another new game using the same Knight engine/assets like they did with Origins. Sure it probably wouldnt be as good as a Rocksteady game but at least it'd be something new.

That would be preferable. Asylum would need to be a complete remake for it to be worth putting any more work into it beyond improving resolution/framerate. Completely different layout, completely different boss encounters, different story, overhauled gameplay and different scenarios, something more akin to Resident Evil Remake, perhaps even more drastic.

Iteration on AK's systems would be much better and reasonable imo.

Danny-Boy

Finally finished new game + and got the platinum trophy :). What a ride! I absolutely love this world and don't want to leave it. I had the same seperation issues with Bloodborne. I loved everything with the batmobile. The combat is absolute perfection, nothing comes close. Honestly can't seperate Bloodborne and Batman: Arkham Knight for the best game of the year. Both get a perfect 10/10 and fall somewhere in my top 10 games ever.

Thank you Rocksteady.

I'm ok with this.

Combine the 2 maps,
Regular Batmobile, Batcycle, Redbid +Batboat
Character select for the entire game(maybe character specific side missions to change it up.):
-Batman
-Dick
-Cassandra Cain or Barbara
-Batwoman
-Huntress
-Katana

Green Arrow and Black Canary as DLC
Birds of Prey campaign & side mission DLC

Co-op when possible, even just specific missions.

Combine the 2 maps,
Regular Batmobile, +Batboat
Character select for the entire game(maybe character specific side missions to change it up.):
-Batman
-Dick
-Cassandra Cain or Barbara
-Batwoman
-Huntress
-Katana

Green Arrow and Black Canary as DLC
Birds of Prey campaign & side mission DLC

Co-op when possible, even just specific missions.

Sounds good to me

especially the bold

I'm going to kill the person who designed the last riddler race and thought it was okay. Better start hiding, I'm taking the next plane to US. I will find you.

edit: That's it. This will be the first Arkham game I won't complete 100%. I feel like an idiot playing these stupid riddler races and failing 10000 times. What a waste of time this shit is.

And loved the riddler stuff in the previous games.

edit2: Omg, first person mode is actually easy mode.

Voidance

If that's the case, I'd rather not have Asylum remastered at all. WB Montreal is nothing other than a B team producing B team quality work. They lack the attention to detail and polish Rocksteady puts into their work. The quality of the Batgirl DLC in terms of jankiness is proof of that, especially when contrasted with the care put into AK.

If that's the case, I'd rather not have Asylum remastered at all. WB Montreal is nothing other than a B team producing B team quality work. They lack the attention to detail and polish Rocksteady puts into their work. The quality of the Batgirl DLC in terms of jankiness is proof of that, especially when contrasted with the care put into AK.

WB Games Montreal likely has little time to make the content they push out as they're owned entirely by WB. "Attention to detail" and "polish" is something that is made possible through having the time. There's no denying Arkham Origins was a quality game given it was a stopgap between Rocksteady titles. And that game had plenty of "love" put into it.

Cold, Cold, Heart was also the best DLC released for any Arkham game, putting to shame stuff like Harley Quinn's Revenge.

WB Games Montreal likely has little time to make the content they push out as they're owned entirely by WB. "Attention to detail" and "polish" is something that is made possible through having the time. There's no denying Arkham Origins was a quality game given it was a stopgap between Rocksteady titles. And that game had plenty of "love" put into it.

Cold, Cold, Heart was also the best DLC released for any Arkham game, putting to shame stuff like Harley Quinn's Revenge.

Holy shit,
how did I miss that "King Bat" and Mask of the Phantasm stuff?

Man I love Origins.

Voidance

I agree that the DLC was good stuff -- I watched my wife play through most of it, and she had a great time -- but I can't agree that Origins was a quality game, especially when contrasted with Rocksteady's efforts. Just my opinion.

I agree that the DLC was good stuff -- I watched my wife play through most of it, and she had a great time -- but I can't agree that Origins was a quality game, especially when contrasted with Rocksteady's efforts. Just my opinion.

It's too similar to Arkham City and Asylum to be bad if those games are good. Some tweaks to the formula are pretty good, some are worse than in past games, yet it's still a pretty good game, especially for anyone who enjoys these games.

Its not that hard, Knight had just like two serious Indoor Level, and even those were shit.

Not sure why the same type of gameplay taking place in enclosed rooms and hallways is any different from it being out in the city, or anywhere else for that matter. City proves you can have a more open map while retaining anything Asylum may have done.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Not sure why the same type of gameplay taking place in enclosed rooms and hallways is any different from it being out in the city, or anywhere else for that matter. City proves you can have a more open map while retaining anything Asylum may have done.
Because the city in Knight lacks the great Dungeons? But I agree, City did this perfect.

Aside from spatial puzzles, interiors in these games are series of combat and/or predator scenarios. The areas in which they take place don't need to be inside anywhere to be interesting. The core gameplay has the same approach in any one of the Arkham games as the others. Predator sequences on a rooftop or in an interior can have vents, perches, generators, weak walls, etc.

Hell, AK manages to still have those puzzles in interiors and out in the city. Some talk up how great the interiors are in Arkham Asylum (and Arkham City, after AK's release) yet there gameplay is all the same. Seems like a perception is what they value most.

AzumiChan

Banned
So I finally got around to finish up this game. The last 1½ hour or so took a good three or four sessions to get through. Not because of difficulty, no. Byt because of the pure dullness of it all. Wanted to scream in frustration over this game several times. Came close to just calling quits several times and just Youtube the ending instead.

Some background. I loved Asylum to death, never played much of City and skipped Origins all together. But man this game really tested my patience.

The Great:
  • Batman. Because "I'm Batmaaan"
  • Technical presentation. A real tour de force in the graphics department.
  • Voice acting. Stellar performances across the board with only a few minor gripes.
The Mediocre:
  • Story. Sorely lacking. Uninspired and at least 10 hours too long. Weak villains and horrible use of Two Face and Penguin. The rest of the villains feels like something Rocksteady scraped up from the bottom of the Batman barrel.
  • Combat. A mess. Too many specific ways to handle different enemy types. This is mostly true in the later stages of the game where they crowbar in every kind of enemy in large groups. Medics, ninjas, gun weilders, fatties, electrics, shields, machineguns etc.
The Bad:
  • Drone combat. Do I even need to explain this one? Who on earth thought drones was a good idea?
  • Batmobile. Neat in concept. Unnecessary in reality. Batman gets around just fine with his cape. Puzzles involving the crapmobile feels forced as all hell.
  • Drone combat. Yes again. Because fuck drone combat.
  • Overuse of gadgets. I love Batmans gadgets. But for every new gadget Batman gets access to there is a short time (½-1 hour) when that gadget gets heavily overused and then ignored for a good few hours. For example, the batmobiles winch during the Ace Chemicals part. Or the Remote Hacking Device during the Stagg Airships.
  • Find the generator missions. Fuck them. I lost count by the end of the game on how many occasions I was asked to "find the generator" and enable or disable it.
  • Panessa Theater. Pure filler. I hated this part of the game with a burning passion. Bored the living jesus out of me. Uninteresting "boss" fights that was little more than glorified quicktime events.
  • Overall mission pacing. I repeatedly felt like Rocksteady constructed roadblocks every tenth meter in the game. Generators, walls, locked doors. It just ended up silly and frustrating. I never experienced this in the same way in Arkham Asylum. Everything there felt way more thought through.
  • Boss fights. So I head you like the Batmobile combat. No? Well fuck you, here are some bosses to fight while in the Batmobile. Enjoy.

I feel like I could go on but as of now I just wanna distance myself from this enormous letdown of a game. Maybe I never liked the Arkham games in the first place? I thought I did. But no, this was a bad experience for me.

But at least it looked nice..

Alienous

So I finally got around to finish up this game. The last 1½ hour or so took a good three or four sessions to get through. Not because of difficulty, no. Byt because of the pure dullness of it all. Wanted to scream in frustration over this game several times. Came close to just calling quits several times and just Youtube the ending instead.

Some background. I loved Asylum to death, never played much of City and skipped Origins all together. But man this game really tested my patience.

The Great:
  • Batman. Because "I'm Batmaaan"
  • Technical presentation. A real tour de force in the graphics department.
  • Voice acting. Stellar performances across the board with only a few minor gripes.
The Mediocre:
  • Story. Sorely lacking. Uninspired and at least 10 hours too long. Weak villains and horrible use of Two Face and Penguin. The rest of the villains feels like something Rocksteady scraped up from the bottom of the Batman barrel.
  • Combat. A mess. Too many specific ways to handle different enemy types. This is mostly true in the later stages of the game where they crowbar in every kind of enemy in large groups. Medics, ninjas, gun weilders, fatties, electrics, shields, machineguns etc.
The Bad:
  • Drone combat. Do I even need to explain this one? Who on earth thought drones was a good idea?
  • Batmobile. Neat in concept. Unnecessary in reality. Batman gets around just fine with his cape. Puzzles involving the crapmobile feels forced as all hell.
  • Drone combat. Yes again. Because fuck drone combat.
  • Overuse of gadgets. I love Batmans gadgets. But for every new gadget Batman gets access to there is a short time (½-1 hour) when that gadget gets heavily overused and then ignored for a good few hours. For example, the batmobiles winch during the Ace Chemicals part. Or the Remote Hacking Device during the Stagg Airships.
  • Find the generator missions. Fuck them. I lost count by the end of the game on how many occasions I was asked to "find the generator" and enable or disable it.
  • Panessa Theater. Pure filler. I hated this part of the game with a burning passion. Bored the living jesus out of me. Uninteresting "boss" fights that was little more than glorified quicktime events.
  • Overall mission pacing. I repeatedly felt like Rocksteady constructed roadblocks every tenth meter in the game. Generators, walls, locked doors. It just ended up silly and frustrating. I never experienced this in the same way in Arkham Asylum. Everything there felt way more thought through.
  • Boss fights. So I head you like the Batmobile combat. No? Well fuck you, here are some bosses to fight while in the Batmobile. Enjoy.

I feel like I could go on but as of now I just wanna distance myself from this enormous letdown of a game. Maybe I never liked the Arkham games in the first place? I thought I did. But no, this was a bad experience for me.

But at least it looked nice..

I completely agree with you.

Don't worry about not liking the series. Arkham Knight loses a lot of what made Asylum so great. On the note of not liking the series, I preferred City to Knight; it feels much more tightly designed. The series is definitely more hit than miss for me.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I am talking about how I could return in Arkham City to a dungeon and discover all the time new stuff when I got new gadgets. The only area here where I can to this is the air ship and its only one stupid door that mattered.
Also, the dungeons rewarded returning with new story pieces. Heck, After finishing Arkham City I could return as booth Catwoman and Batman to areas and got a new, small epilouge-storyline about Pinguin (and maybe Two-Face? Not sure about this).
Arkham Knight rewards you not the smallest.

AzumiChan

Banned

Don't worry about not liking the series. Arkham Knight loses a lot of what made Asylum so great. On the note of not liking the series, I preferred City to Knight; it feels much more tightly designed. The series is definitely more hit than miss for me.

Indeed, bigger is not always better. And in the case of the Arkham series it's most certainly true.

I think this is the most logical reasoning. But I can remember Arkham Asylum being a tighter and more intimate experience. Knight was everything but that.

Asylum is a series of the series' challenge maps strung together with hallways and traversal filler (think of Uncharted). If that's all you want, then that's all you can get, and if you like all that, there's nothing to "get in the way" of it.

Its sequels provide much needed depth and diversity in its combat and predator gameplay, thus making them better to play. Even with AK, if you go form one story mission to the next, the experience is fundamentally the same. Especially evident in City, the "open worlds" in the sequels are bigger versions of the Asylum with more open areas in between points of interest. There's nothing Asylum did with its overworld that's special compared to what's done in City, Origins and Knight. There's just less chance of people doing something that's both optional and different from the core gameplay — it's apparently a problem considering how often you see people engaging in optional game content that they want to do merely because they feel a compulsion to do it all, for some reason.

Indeed, bigger is not always better. And in the case of the Arkham series it's most certainly true.

In this series, bigger is the same, just more.

I am talking about how I could return in Arkham City to a dungeon and discover all the time new stuff when I got new gadgets. The only area here where I can to this is the air ship and its only one stupid door that mattered.
Also, the dungeons rewarded returning with new story pieces. Heck, After finishing Arkham City I could return as booth Catwoman and Batman to areas and got a new, small epilouge-storyline about Pinguin (and maybe Two-Face? Not sure about this).
Arkham Knight rewards you not the smallest.

It would've been great had that approach been adopted in AK — there's an appeal to revisiting old areas to gain access to new ones that has little to do with gameplay. Even still, that appeal is surface level in this series as it's always the player being led by the nose. It all being new area after new area isn't that considerable a difference if the gameplay is the same.

Even when I first played it, Asylum's overworld was dull —going by my replay of that game, if it weren't for the new, interesting gameplay and the novelty of playing a non-terrible Batman game, I wouldn't have enjoyed anything in it. It did a good imitation of a Metroid-like game despite it being entirely linear, but upon any reflection, its shallowness is apparent. It has only been surpassed by its sequels in every way, as it should've been.

Don't worry about not liking the series. Arkham Knight loses a lot of what made Asylum so great. I preferred City to Knight; it feels much more tightly designed.

Asylum doesn't give people the option to do anything other than whatever the next combat or predator scenario is. There's no chance for people to marathon side missions that they don't want to do, and anyone who doesn't like the game just doesn't play it.

Is it just a cutscene or is there an actual side-mission to play through?

After he suprises you on the rooftop of the building, you can see him flying around said building. He's easier to spot using Detective Vision. Glide on top of him it'll trigger a cutscene and a series of missions.

Forget about this. I misunderstood.

After he suprises you on the rooftop of the building, you can see him flying around said building. He's easier to spot using Detective Vision. Glide on top of him it'll trigger a cutscene and a series of missions.

Even after finishing that the first time? The guy you quoted was talking about an easter egg.

AsfaeksBR

Well, A Matter of Family was short. It wasn't nearly as polished, with a lot of gameplay problems (small details that made the experience worse, like the camera getting crazy out of the blue, enemies glitching and disappearing and a lot of audio cuts) but overall I enjoyed it.

Now going for the 100% on it, should take another 1~2 hours.

The 15 different combo moves trophy is making me weep tears, it's so easy to screw up.
Are you using gadgets? Each gadget counts as a variation. The only stipulation is that I think actually have to use some sort of finisher (either an attack or a stun) for the Batclaw to count. Here's a simple checklist of easy moves to do:

Freeze bomb
2. Batclaw Slam
3. Counter
4. Attack
5. Cape Stun
6. Aerial Attack
7. Beat Down
8. Batarang
REC
10. Explosive Gel
11. Disarm & Destroy
12. Instant Takedown
13. Multi-Takedown
14. Ultra Stun
15. Aerial Juggle (after Ultra Stun)

Disappointing that the Batgirl dlc doesn't even offer Batgirl, Harley and Joker in the character Showcase mode.
That was my biggest beef with the DLC, honestly. But I've read that they're going to include Batgirl in the DLC AR challenges, so I'm hoping they add them to Showcase around that time.
So is this worth playing on PC yet or still waiting on fixes?
If you have a PC that is capable of running this game over 30fps with minimal stuttering, then go for it. I played through it on PC and loved it. If you absolutely need 60fps for the game to be considered "playable", then keep waiting.

Top Bottom