• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Xenugears

Neo Member
The way I look at it is that Asylum, while it may not hold up as well as City, is the "best" Batman game for it's time. The context in which it was released (it's impact and influence) counts just as much to me as some of the improvements and refinements made in sequels. Going open(ish) world with City was the logical next step but after three open Batman games I can't help but feel nostalgic for the Die Hard-ness of Asylum.

Paganmoon

So just got finished with the main story, did quite a bit of the sidemissions during that and ended up at 87% completion so far. Had a really good time with the game. Actually liked the tank battles, they were fun, except the cobra ones, those became a chore.

Midway through the game I thought to myself "hmm, I think I'm going to 100% this game, it's great", until I got to the third Azrael mission, I'm just not good enough to be able to do those without getting hit, so I'm probably going to drop it now.

Storywise, really, really predictable on pretty much every story beat, and honestly, I'd rather take predictable, than devs going for the "haha, shocked you!" bullshit turnarounds that's so prevalent in games.

Played the Harley and Batgirl story packs, and I'd really like more of those. Short, story related missions with sidecharacters, but I see quite a few have taken issue with them being so short, I liked them, didn't become a chore, and made me want more.

All in all, I'd rate it above Witcher 3, had much more fun with the side missions in this.

El_Cinefilo

Has Rocksteady said how much money you save by buying the season pass? I'm kind of interested in the Batgirl DLC for £5.99 and if that's as good as it gets I don't want to put down the full £32.99 for the season pass. I also don't want to end up buying all the DLC separately and paying £50+, if the saving is quite small I don't mind just picking and choosing DLC when I want to separately .

Alpende

So just got finished with the main story, did quite a bit of the sidemissions during that and ended up at 87% completion so far. Had a really good time with the game. Actually liked the tank battles, they were fun, except the cobra ones, those became a chore.

Midway through the game I thought to myself "hmm, I think I'm going to 100% this game, it's great", until I got to the third Azrael mission, I'm just not good enough to be able to do those without getting hit, so I'm probably going to drop it now.

Storywise, really, really predictable on pretty much every story beat, and honestly, I'd rather take predictable, than devs going for the "haha, shocked you!" bullshit turnarounds that's so prevalent in games.

Played the Harley and Batgirl story packs, and I'd really like more of those. Short, story related missions with sidecharacters, but I see quite a few have taken issue with them being so short, I liked them, didn't become a chore, and made me want more.

All in all, I'd rate it above Witcher 3, had much more fun with the side missions in this.

The only Azrael mission I had issues with was the one with two brutes, the ones after that are very doable.

Same. I just watched the longer ending on Youtbube and called it a day.

Even that was a bit lackluster, by no way worth 100%

I'm a huge fan of how asylum played and for the most part how city turned out, after spending a lot of time in knight and it's dlc's so far I feel that origins is more of a batman game then knight is, sadly.

Alpende

I collected Riddler trophies every now and then and not all of them after I finished the game. Collecting 200+ trophies after the last mission would get tiring, glad I didn't do that. Doing them during the story didn't bother me.

Even that was a bit lackluster, by no way worth 100%

I'm a huge fan of how asylum played and for the most part how city turned out, after spending a lot of time in knight and it's dlc's so far I feel that origins is more of a batman game then knight is, sadly.

replaying origins now. & you're correct :) ...

hank_tree

I collected Riddler trophies every now and then and not all of them after I finished the game. Collecting 200+ trophies after the last mission would get tiring, glad I didn't do that. Doing them during the story didn't bother me.

Not sure if this applies to Arkham Knight, but I hated that in City you could come across a riddle puzzle but not be sure if you have all the upgrades required to unlock it?

Like,I don't want to waste time banging my head against a puzzle only to find out I need some batarang upgrade that I haven't unlocked yet.

So now I just wait till the end if the game to do all that stuff.

Not sure if this applies to Arkham Knight, but I hated that in City you could come across a riddle puzzle but not be sure if you have all the upgrades required to unlock it?

Like,I don't want to waste time banging my head against a puzzle only to find out I need some batarang upgrade that I haven't unlocked yet.

So now I just wait till the end if the game to do all that stuff.
I think i remember a few like that in Knight, though honestly i just got annoyed with mid mission trophies and put them all off at a certain point.

HeeHo

Yep glitched. If you had any other missions left you might be able to get around it like I did, but it looks like youre in the same riddler boat as McDangles. It doesnt activate even though youve finished enough missions. The usual workaround is to finish one more. For instance, I finished the firefighter one. But all youve got left are the trophies, so....shit.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172518989&postcount=11299

Thanks for the response. I just saw this now. I had read that workaround but yeah, I pretty much boned myself unless I do all the Riddler trophies. All in all, I'm not too mad about it, I have about 80 left to go and they are going pretty fast but some of them can be extremely annoying to even find and even then you have to figure out how to get it. I don't feel pissed but it is an incredible amount of BS to put up with.

I was really ready to be done with this game though when I had finished the 13th most wanted criminal. I actually thought I had beat the game and I had text my friend asking him if he had gotten any credits and he responded that he did and that I would know for sure if I had beaten the game. This has extended my play through of the game by about a week so far. I'm having a mild amount of fun but it is super lame that I am spending most of my night just finding all the riddler trophies to unlock even the normal ending.

dankir

Quick question I know there's a true ending that you need 100% so that means all collectibles including riddler ones too?

Do I need 3 stars on all AR challenges as well? Is there a point of no return so I need to be 100% on all the side missions first?

I did it for Asylum and City just wondering. No spoilers please.

Quick question I know there's a true ending that you need 100% so that means all collectibles including riddler ones too?

Do I need 3 stars on all AR challenges as well? Is there a point of no return so I need to be 100% on all the side missions first?

I did it for Asylum and City just wondering. No spoilers please.

Yes (all collectibles, riddles and breakables are tied to Riddler stuff)

No, no

Thank you. Just a clarification can I beat the game and then go back and get the collectibles and the get the true ending?

yes

There's "beating the game" conclusion, then the ending that you must initiate (it'll be clear what that is) after locking up a certain number of villains , then you get the prologue by initiating the ending once you get 100%

Dalek

Occupy Gotham mission on a bridge between two towers. There is a mounted camera gun on each tower. I can only blind one at a time. It won't let me blow up the console because one turret can always see me....

Anung

Un Rama
Occupy Gotham mission on a bridge between two towers. There is a mounted camera gun on each tower. I can only blind one at a time. It won't let me blow up the console because one turret can always see me....

Those turrets will be powered by a separate console, probably on one of the roofs.

Epcott

I have %100 on all missions except for the riddler trophies. I can't believe I need to find them all to get the true ending, I really hate the scavenger hunt. Bad enough I haven't had the patience to solve his "scanning environment" riddles.

I absolutely loved Asylum and City. It's a shame this game makes me loath it so much. Why would Riddler care about Bat's car so much? Why save Catwoman
only to never see her again in the story? At least in City you control her for quite a while.
Where was
Nightwing as backup to save Tim in the final
? Why is it that I've put these hard earned points into combo moves and their such a pain in the ass to pull off and only when the prompt shows on screen? Don't get me started on the near end
fight on GCPD where Barb says "go to the vents" that do nothing while you're being chased. Had I not snuck back and forth and planted bombs for goons to run into, I'd still be stuck on that area... As it never said how to spring the vent trap.
The moves are just not very intuitive.

:-D I realize I'm just nitpicking at this point, but it just feels like something is missing from this game and too much focus has gone into batmobile and a complicated arsenal that is %40 useless in a battle (I only say this because you should be able to use them when you want on a whim).

There's some great things and story telling mechanics that makes this game beautiful at times, but most of the time it makes me want to punch a bat shaped hole in a wall.

stn

Just beat it finally. Final score of 8/10. Why not more?

-Having to grind trophies for the true ending is a chore
-Batmobile brake system needs work
-Worst boss fights of the whole series
-Arkham Knight's story needs work. The last you see of him is lame. I know he helps Batman but it would have been nice to see a last cutscene with him

Agree? Disagree?

-Arkham Knight's story needs work. The last you see of him is lame. I know he helps Batman but it would have been nice to see a last cutscene with him

Agree? Disagree?
Posted on another page, but yeah: https://youtu.be/-RMu8Yb5HJw
I brought up a lot of the same points in my review. That being said, not really a fan of rating on a number scale (Which is why I call it an Arbitrary Number Rating in my review)

Agree? Disagree?

I agree. I started playing this a few days ago and although it is good. It doesn't wow me like the first one did.

But you get to be Batman so thats +200

208/10

Okay so there's the
Knightfall Ending then get 100% unlocks the true ending? Also should I wait to 100% then do the Knightfall ending or is there going to be another prompt for the true ending. Don't want to get the knightfall ending early and be locked out of the true ending. Also yay Barbera isn't dead

Drayco21

Okay so there's the
Knightfall Ending then get 100% unlocks the true ending? Also should I wait to 100% then do the Knightfall ending or is there going to be another prompt for the true ending. Don't want to get the knightfall ending early and be locked out of the true ending. Also yay Barbera isn't dead

You can't get locked out of the true ending, the game just bumps you back to the open world and tells you there's more you can do afterwards.

This game has issues. That said, some of the camera work coming out of cutescenes and arm conversations is the most superhero cinematic stuff I've ever seen.

The game was impressive to look at on many occasions. I'm glad I played it.

Second best feature was Batman growling cheesy lines at people when you finally take them down. Oh my, some of those were perfect. Then he would always hilariously squish their faces.

What are those yellow/orange icons next to some upgrades in the Waynetech menu?

# of points needed to upgrade and/or "new upgrade" icon?

Is this the orange icon you mention?:

batman-arkham-knight-review-12.jpg

I think so, although it's next to specific upgrades, and it won't disappear even when I buy said upgrades.

It should go away once you exit the upgrade window and go back to it.

Yellow icons indicate that they're purchasable. Red means you don't have enough points to purchase it. Some upgrades are gated behind other ones. Like below:

maxresdefault.jpg

Dalek

I know I'm very late to be commenting on this stuff, as it was probably done very early on in the thread, but I never checked in due to avoiding spoilers, but the way the camera is used to convey
Batman's hallucinations with Joker
is fucking brilliant.

Move the camera and a billboard has Joker's face on it. "Wait-did I see that right?"

Move back and it's normal.

PBalfredo

I'm fighting the Arkham Knight's super tank right now and what in the world is with the camera when you exit battle mode with the batmobile in this fight? It zooms waaaaaay the hell out and I can't see shit when I try to escape the super tank each time I hit its coolant tanks and piss it off. Is there any get the camera to act like normal when I'm driving the batmobile in car mode or a better way to get away from the super tank?

Just have to finish NG+ for the plat. Combat is a lot more fun and satisfying on knightmare difficulty and it makes me wish I had done my first play through like that.

Riddler trophies definitely became a chore. I wish they could figure out a way to make grinding those out more entertaining.

I'm fighting the Arkham Knight's super tank right now and what in the world is with the camera when you exit battle mode with the batmobile in this fight? It zooms waaaaaay the hell out and I can't see shit when I try to escape the super tank each time I hit its coolant tanks and piss it off. Is there any get the camera to act like normal when I'm driving the batmobile in car mode or a better way to get away from the super tank?
Switch to first-person

Sat down and did a good chunk of the Riddler challenges/trophies/riddles today. Got up to that final race everyone seems to hate, and only had to reset once. It was kinds fun, actually (Aside from the kinda retarded idea of Riddler building racetracks in the first place).

Like with City, going after the trophies is a lot less daunting than it seems at first. Blew through about 117 riddles today. Probably going to finish them up tomorrow and start getting the collectables in the Batgirl DLC. Haven't touched NG+ yet because I'm waiting for the 1970s skin to drop before diving in to a new playthrough.

SJRB

Gold Member
I know I'm very late to be commenting on this stuff, as it was probably done very early on in the thread, but I never checked in due to avoiding spoilers, but the way the camera is used to convey
is fucking brilliant.

Move the camera and a billboard has Joker's face on it. "Wait-did I see that right?"

Absolutely, highly underrated part. Whoever came up with this idea is a genius.

I really enjoyed that part a lot, I love how it gets worse as the game progresses. Some stuff was genuinely creepy, like the
statue faces. If you look to the right of Wayne Tower to the suspension bridge with the huge statue, sometimes a blinding lightning bolt will strike that changes the statue into Joker for a split second.

First time I saw that I totally freaked out.

RedAssedApe

Banned
think this is a 8/10 for me as well. some really fun bits but pacing was dragged down by the batmobile tank segments and also some awful and anti-climatic boss fights. game is gorgeous and navigating the open world was fun and you could get around really efficiently without needing quick travel.

i think open world games are starting to get a bit tiresome for me in general though. side missions get stale quick and feel like collect-a-thons. was not motivated to finish a lot of them even with the draw of the "true ending". blah...just watched it on yt instead. rather just blow through the story missions...which some might say kind of defeats the purpose of having open world?

Alpende

is fucking brilliant.

I think it's not even limited to billboards. I was gliding around, saw a huge statue and saw that it had
Joker's face / face paint
on it, after I turned away it was back to normal. So good.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
is fucking brilliant.

Wow - Never noticed this, I thought the militia
changed the billboards to taunt Batman.

Just finished last night. Just my $0.02.

6/10 for me. If I think about it too hard, I'd maybe give it a 5.

It's a technical masterpiece; the city is huge and there are tons to do. That basically saved the game for me,

But I downgraded it primarily because I hate the Batmobile. Not so much the vehicle in-game, but more because they just tried to shoehorn that into everything. I felt like it broke up the pace of the action a little too much for my tastes.
I can't believe how many times I had to drag that POS all over the place: on the rootops, underground
I thought the drone fights
and especially the hide and seek game with the Cloudburst tank
were boring as all hell.

I love the early twist
with the Joker's commentary
and overall, the story was fine (especially the very end
with Batman having to unmask
) as well. Though I did have a problem with who the Arkham Knight was
if only because I was disappointed that they rehashed the old Red Hood story, so I saw it coming the moment they had the first Jason Todd hallucination. I suppose they can only change up the traditional Batman story so much (they did kill the Joker after all), but still

Not a bad game, but if I knew just how much Batmobile there was, I wouldn't have bothered, quite honestly. I liked it as a general vehicle to go around in, and I was fine with a couple of tank battles, but otherwise, I didn't need that.

If you didn't mind it, God bless you. You are an infinitely more patient person than I am.

Quite honestly, I went back and redownloaded Arkham City from my PS+ list and am effectively using it to wash out the bad taste the game left. (As an aside: I can definitely see how much they progressed graphically and gameplay wise)

Last time I angrily finished a game because I was so disappointed was Assassin's Creed III. Not as bad as that game (AK has a lot more redeeming qualities) but overall, while a competent game, I was dissappointed. And I wasn't even too-too hyped for it!

Again, just my personal opinion and preferences.

I think 7 or 7.5 is a fair score overall. The game looks good and the combat is still solid and the main story at least on the Scarecrow's end was decent and there's stuff to do but the side content IMO is a "your mileage may vary" sort of thing. I had fun but I think it could've been better, I do wish there was more to do outside the side stories, all those thugs running about and really nothing to do with them outside Riddler informants. I think the game could've used from random encounters/events even if they'd repeat themselves, from muggings to hostage situations to whatever to break things up. With so much area available they could've done something interesting with some randomly generated encounters. It was absolutely ridiculous that an entire city is cleared out in 24 hours and no one stayed behind besides the criminals including the big ones who knew what Scarecrow was up to yet stuck around to their own detriment. Are the three islands meant to be the entirety of Gotham? Because the mainland looks quite busy on the one end and not enough places to live on the three islands that are relatively small. Admittedly GTA and other open world games have spoiled me.

The Arkham Knight's identity as I think already said here, was far too obvious and at least to me, they completely gave it away in the first meeting of him from his
calling Batman "old man"
but then they procede to bash it over your head like the
Joker with a crowbar as the game goes on and yet Batman still can't figure it out and I imagine had I not been at least semi-versed in the comics it might've been a little less obvious so early but it's disappointing that suspicion (on my end and others) on his identity was spot on so long before release,
hell I was coming up with twists I was hoping for as the end because I couldn't believe they'd make it so obvious but none of them came. By the end of the game I'm still not sure how the Arkham Knight came about his army or anything really in terms of resources that I guess
the Joker some how put together. Did the have a shitload of money stashed somewhere for him or something?
Besides the core story everything else was a like another repetitive collectathon of some manner that was treated as nothing but padding with zero imaginative thought put into it. I know some liked the Riddler trophies and all that but I think it would've been better served for the third game to do away with them (even if replaced with something else) and had Riddler be the one who gets busted in short order with a Batman not interested in playing his stupid games yet again. It was cool playing other characters for what very, very little we had the chance to, well except
Azrael
since he was a total Batman clone, as poorly utilized the side villains were, the it was even worse on the hero side after all the hype. Also felt like they didn't even try with boss fights.

The Batmobile, I didn't mind it as much as many but it's been a while since I've encountered such a forced mechanic/gimmick that despite not hating it got bored of it and yeah it's amazing that the Riddler just so happened to do all these things that just so happen to work with and require this Batmobile, that goes for other areas of the environment that just so happened to pop up. I think I actually liked what Monolith did with the combat system more than what Rocksteady has done with this iteration, especially when it comes to upgrades that let you keep your combos going for a while after your current combat finished, of course not that it really matter since combat outside story/side missions is so inconsequential. For all the shit Superman gets for being over powered the game highlights just how out matched so many of Batman's rogues are, they couldn't even come up with ways to them interesting to fight.

Back to the Batmobile, they obviously spent a lot of time with it and it feels like that's where much of the attention was placed on in trying to make it fun and perhaps kept working on it to where it feels like they tried shoving it down our throats in an attempt to justify the work they put in on it. I likened it to Poochie from the Simpsons (as a spoof on shows trying to freshen themselves up with a new character that's poorly received) a while ago and I think it still stands. I think it should've been kept in small doses because it wasn't an interesting enough mechanic to design so much of the game around.

EDIT: Wow, after writing all that it doesn't read like a 7.5 or 7... But I did have fun and do look forward to playing it again whenever the mess gets worked out with the PC version. Oh and yes the
Joker stuff, might've been what helped save the game though I wish we got more interaction with Harley beyond her 10-20 minute appearance in the story.
I guess I was more disappointed than I thought but over all it continues the tradition of trilogies with disappointing final parts.

Not only that but, at least on my PC, response time goes to shit too with what feels like slowdown and sluggishness without the frame rate dropping.

I likened it to Poochie from the Simpsons (as a spoof on shows trying to freshen themselves up with a new character that's poorly received) a while ago and I think it still stands. I think it should've been kept in small doses because it wasn't an interesting enough mechanic to design so much of the game around.

Batmobile is the Poochie of the Arkham games. You nailed it.

Oh, and speaking of which,
when AK smashed the Batmobile, I could not have been more thrilled, only to be disappointed just minutes later.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Batmobile is the Poochie of the Arkham games. You nailed it.

Oh, and speaking of which,
when AK smashed the Batmobile, I could not have been more thrilled, only to be disappointed just minutes later.
I feelt exactly the same, I was actually really, really happy *g*

I had really fun to collect all trophies in AA and AC but in this game? It's shit, it's horrible.
Races? Follow trails? Guide robots? Wtf? Boring crap.

Seriously fuck those trophy races. You can't even retry, you have to go all the way back to the beginning. I'm done with Rocksteady after this game. I'm glad they're not making another Batman game. It's time for WB Montreal.

Dave1988

I had really fun to collect all trophies in AA and AC but in this game? It's shit, it's horrible.
Races? Follow trails? Guide robots? Wtf? Boring crap.

Seriously fuck those trophy races. You can't even retry, you have to go all the way back to the beginning. I'm done with Rocksteady after this game. I'm glad they're not making another Batman game. It's time for WB Montreal.

You mean the Riddler ones? If so, that's not entirely accurate. While it's true that if you select "Retry" from the pause menu, it resets you back to the very beginning, if you let the timer run out, Riddler tells you to retry the current lap instead of starting from the beginning.

Top Bottom