• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Protip: I was using the Batarangs at first an failed. Got in the Batmobile and blasted these so that two were falling at the same time.
Yeah, tried this, too, but I had no luck.
I will clear the other ones, I think I just need a moment and sooner and later be lucky.

The game's a fucking mess if it's been a while since playing another Arkham game. The difficulty/gameplay curve isn't so much a curve as it is a roller coaster of fuckery. The controls do not work full stop. Maybe if you have a lot of the other game's knowledge under your belt, but if you jumped in here after a few years between playing other ones it's crazy how little they explain. Right off the bat they're throwing new shit at you. There's no ramp up in the beginning getting you refreshed with things. They just assume you know literally every crazy ass control from the last game, and I fucking don't.

There are times when the bat mobile and tank stuff is ok, but I just get so fucking annoyed at its overuse. I want to play a Batman game sometimes, but I just have to sigh to myself as it throws another goddamned bat mobile sequence at me. And when I do get to play actual batman stuff, they throw this crazy clusterfuck of enemies at me. Because it's open world the difficulty is up and down and all over the goddamned place, like a two year old on a fucking sugar high. I just happened upon a big group with some new goddamned mechanic yesterday before I was introduced it in the story, for instance.

There's just too many goddamned mechanics, really. I feel like there was no one in the development team that could tell people no. Every single idea was approved, it seems, with no actual concept of gameplay flow and focus.

There really aren't any good bosses in the game at all.

The side quests are shitty copy pastes after the first goddamned time you do them.

I want to punch riddler in the dick.

I hate whatever asshole decided to pull the camera a mile back during certain bat mobile sequences.

But what is "too much" though? I can't disagree enough that the controls are faulty — they're fantastic, especially considering what all the player can do — but I can definitely understand how someone new of unfamiliar to the series would be overwhelmed. There's a lot of abilities and options, but they all are functional, and many are optional. I have to commend Rocksteady for pushing the limit rather than pussyfooting around out of fear of alienating new players — I imagine Assassin's Creed is a victim of over-streamlining systems for accessibility reasons, to the point much is automated (haven't personally played much of that series, I just hear that complaint from people who have). Prompts for abilities/moves appear when you gain them, but

I did encounter what you said about new enemy types appearing in a side mission that didn't give me a prompt for how to beat them. It was one of the firefighter missions for me, and there was an electrified brute. That happened once though, and after some experimentation, I beat them. Not saying it's inherently good, but I appreciated teh challenge considering these games are typically easy to beat.

Like I said in my post above: because the player has so many options (in combat, in where to go next, etc.), the possibility exists that pacing will feel off, or you'll experience one type of gameplay too much in a row if you grind through all of it at once. Having played the game to completion, it's really clear that everything works, but at the cost of potentially going wrong. I always greatly prefer games that take this approach (especially when it comes together this well) over games that don't trust the player to learn its systems and/or only play what they want of the optional content.

Victarion

So I have around 5 riddler trophies missing. Riddler menu says they are on Founders' Island but there's nothing on the map and there's no more informant left. I searched the whole fucking Island and nothing. What gives? Is this glitched?

So I have around 5 riddler trophies missing. Riddler menu says they are on Founders' Island but there's nothing on the map and there's no more informant left. I searched the whole fucking Island and nothing. What gives? Is this glitched?

Are they inside
the underground base
? I can't remember if that's separate from the overworld, trophy-wise.

You might also need to find other informants.

Dalek

Man, now there is one missing destroyable object on the airship, but the map is cleared -,-

Gotta go hunt down those green thugs. For what it's worth, it's always the bug boxes to smash, and they're all up against the walls.

Good luck.

OH! One of them is up really high where you can't reach it and you have to use the Batclaw to rip it open.

SJRB

Gold Member
What the fuck is even the point of the bug boxes anyway? When I first stumbled upon them I thought I found some awesome secret or that it was a hint to something, but they do... nothing?

They just seem so random, especially in the Stagg airships.

Dalek

What the fuck is even the point of the bug boxes anyway? When I first stumbled upon them I thought I found some awesome secret or that it was a hint to something, but they do... nothing?

I don't get the significance, but it's just like the jack-in-the-box explosives in the studio.

Voidance

I thought those were
the bugs Scarecrow made his toxin out of. There's an unlockable story and a riddle in the game that references the origin of the toxin.
I could be mistaken, though.

Dalek

I thought those were
the bugs Scarecrow made his toxin out of. There's an unlockable story and a riddle in the game that references the origin of the toxin.
I could be mistaken, though.

That would make sense-there's an area in the game later with a Riddler puzzle with a room that matches that story.

I'm at my wit's end here. Basically, I've got 7 riddles left to complete, all on Founders Island, and then that's it finished. But I can't find any more of those green Riddler informants around to interrogate. I've been driving around on all three islands for what feels like forever and they just aren't popping up. I stumbled upon that crooked officer in GCPD and threw him in a cell, hoping that this is what I was missing all along, but nothing's changed. Any ideas fellas? Don't know what the hell else to do really, short of going through a guide and ticking off everything I've done already, but that'll take ages!

GeeTeeCee

I'm at my wit's end here. Basically, I've got 7 riddles left to complete, all on Founders Island, and then that's it finished. But I can't find any more of those green Riddler informants around to interrogate. I've been driving around on all three islands for what feels like forever and they just aren't popping up. I stumbled upon that crooked officer in GCPD and threw him in a cell, hoping that this is what I was missing all along, but nothing's changed. Any ideas fellas? Don't know what the hell else to do really, short of going through a guide and ticking off everything I've done already, but that'll take ages!

Have you checked the subway tunnels for the remaining trophies?

Also, it may be my imagination, but it always felt to me like informants were more likely to appear at the start of a game session. Probably nonsense though.

Have you checked the subway tunnels for the remaining trophies?

Also, it may be my imagination, but it always felt to me like informants were more likely to appear at the start of a game session. Probably nonsense though.

Subway tunnels? Remind me, where are they again?

And yeah, it might be a good idea to turn off the console and start a new gaming session. Thanks.

Yep, they're all in the subway tunnels. Totally forgot about that whole section. Thanks a lot guys.

It's really dumb that they treat those trophies as Founder's Island, yeah it's o\n the part, but if they don't show up on the map how are you supposed to know. Took me like 40 minutes of flying around to realize what I was missing.

Sorry but I kind of found it funny that two different people having the same problem with Riddler trophies on the same page or two maybe if you're a heathen who stuck with 50 posts per page.

I wasn't a fan of the overuse of the batmobile, but after I played Watch Dogs I will never criticize the batmobile again! Man did vehicle handling in that game suck so much ass.

The driving in Watch Dogs is flat out atrocious even after getting use to it was still terrible which it shouldn't be considering who worked on that aspect, then again maybe Driver's physics weren't that great either and it's just been a long time since I played Driver:SF, the Batmobile certainly handles better.

Octacamo

So any words on the next dlc story mission?

Red hood dlc is going to be added more i think because even after finishing it

it is still showing as 29% completed.

Also,

Finished the Batgirl dlc.... pretty disappointed... lasted for like 1hr max, later on some collectible stuff...and thats it.

Hope upcoming dlc is good and well worth the money

witness

I loved this game so much, until the cloud burst. That was just awful, we get that garbage instead of a real boss fight. After that point the rest of the game was an exercise in frustration. Up until that point, it was probably my favorite Arkham game. Now all I want is for them to release some story DLC that takes more than 1 hour and has real boss fights and little to no batmobile. So I guess I really just want them to re release release the old games, can't believe that hasn't already happened.

Kinyou

Is there a way to "reset" the skin? I played around a little with the downloadable ones, but now when I switch back to the original one it misses all the wear and tear it had.

On Demand

Banned
Rocksteady has to be joking with this knight fall bullshit right? I captured everyone except riddler and I have a few more militia crap to do. You're telling me I have to complete all of them to finish the game?????

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Rocksteady has to be joking with this knight fall bullshit right? I captured everyone except riddler and I have a few more militia crap to do. You're telling me I have to complete all of them to finish the game?????

Its not worth it. The 100% ending is shit and really not worth the effort.
Only the final scene of the Riddler stuff delievers.

So, I am almost done. Today I am going to set my console on Halloween and then I can finally put the cowl beside.

I loved this game so much, until the cloud burst. That was just awful, we get that garbage instead of a real boss fight. After that point the rest of the game was an exercise in frustration. Up until that point, it was probably my favorite Arkham game. Now all I want is for them to release some story DLC that takes more than 1 hour and has real boss fights and little to no batmobile. So I guess I really just want them to re release release the old games, can't believe that hasn't already happened.

Yeah, I was enjoying the game until I got to the Cloudburst last night and got up to the
Jason Todd / Red Hood reveal
tonight. It's just not fun. I'm up to the third time you have to
sneak up on Red Hood
and it's so boring now. There's so much repetition of the basically the same thing over and over.

It's too bad, I was enjoying the game too, but might have to take a break for a while.

Is there a way to "reset" the skin? I played around a little with the downloadable ones, but now when I switch back to the original one it misses all the wear and tear it had.

There should be two original ones to choose from in the menu, a pristine one and one with wear and tear. Perhaps you've chosen the former?

Moozo

Yeah, I was enjoying the game until I got to the Cloudburst last night and got up to the
Jason Todd / Red Hood reveal
tonight. It's just not fun. I'm up to the third time you have to
sneak up on Red Hood
and it's so boring now. There's so much repetition of the basically the same thing over and over.

It's too bad, I was enjoying the game too, but might have to take a break for a while.

I got to this point last night too and I'm getting a bit fed up to be honest. I skipped ahead a couple of pages on a walkthrough just to see what I've got left and saw there's a tank battle shortly with 63 drones!?! For fuck's sake, Rocksteady.

I got to this point last night too and I'm getting a bit fed up to be honest. I skipped ahead a couple of pages on a walkthrough just to see what I've got left and saw there's a tank battle shortly with 63 drones!?! For fuck's sake, Rocksteady.
It's really not that bad. Invest in the double evade, the quick reloads, the emp, and the hack and most tank battles are easily manageable. My strategy: get a kill or two, hack the biggest tank you see, then get some more kills to have the EMP ready (useful whenever you see a missile warning and can't react quick enough), then get more kills to build up your meter and unleash the missile barrage to cut down their numbers. Sounds simple because it kinda is lol, the hard part comes in weaving through the tank shells untouched but the double evade should help with that.

The tank battles felt like an extension of the hand to hand combat to me, and getting a perfect "freeflow" in the tank felt just as good.

On Demand

Banned
Its not worth it. The 100% ending is shit and really not worth the effort.
Only the final scene of the Riddler stuff delievers.

So, I am almost done. Today I am going to set my console on Halloween and then I can finally put the cowl beside.

It's not a matter if it's not worth it. I have to do them to see any ending at all. That's dumb. Why would they design it like this? I still have a bunch of trophies to get, and militia street bombs that i absolutely hate doing.

It says capture 2 of the most wanted but i only have riddler left?

On another note.......does anyone get a texture glitch on founders island? It's on the docks. One of them is not fully loaded in. I thought maybe the area had to be loaded again so i left and returned but it's still that way. Been like since i saw it near the beginning of the game.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's not a matter if it's not worth it. I have to do them to see any ending at all. That's dumb. Why would they design it like this? I still have a bunch of trophies to get, and militia street bombs that i absolutely hate doing.

It says capture 2 of the most wanted but i only have riddler left?

On another note.......does anyone get a texture glitch on founders island? It's on the docks. One of them is not fully loaded in. I thought maybe the area had to be loaded again so i left and returned but it's still that way. Been like since i saw it near the beginning of the game.
Really? I just thought its a second video. Lol, what were they thinking?

So after going back to Origins...

1. Combat challenges were much better because the camera zoomed way out, none of the Arkham Knight crap of enemies attacking(especially charging) from off screen.

2. Riddlers' stuff wasn't actually harder back then, it just took forever because Batman's movement was infinitely slower not even considering the Batmobile.
Wouldn't surprise me if you could get across Knight's map in 1/4+ the time of City & Origins.

3. Holy shit I didn't realize the jump in graphics(knew it looked amazing but oh man) till I replayed Origins. Coming off of Knight, Origins almost looks like a PS2 or Mobile game.

On Demand

Banned
If you don't want to do the optional stuff, you can watch the endings on Youtube. It's two cutscenes back-to-back, so you're not missing out on anything substantial.

I'm just confused as to why RS thought doing it that way was a good idea. There's no closure. I shouldn't have to do side quest to feel I beat the game. I would call that substantial.

Riddler trophies were a fun optional thing to do. They made some trophies a pain to get and now it's a requirement in AK.

I'm just confused as to why RS thought doing it that way was a good idea. There's no closure. I shouldn't have to do side quest to feel I beat the game. I would call that substantial.

Riddler trophies were a fun optional thing to do. They made some trophies a pain to get and now it's a requirement in AK.

The
knightfall
ending seems glitched since you can activate it with only 7 villains captured out of 14, but if you get like 12 or 13, then you seemingly have to get them all. I still need to test it out since I've only completed all side missions before activating the protocol.

That said, you only miss out on two cutscenes — it's not ideal of course, but watching them on Youtube is the same experience. Don't put yourself through content in a game you don't like just for some FMVs. If you unlocked new characters or game modes for getting 100%, that'd be one thing, but it's just a video. You beat the game, you just didn't 100% it — you miss out on post-capture villain dialogue here just as you would in City with the Riddler.

Sat down last weekend and finally crossed Riddler off of the Most Wanted list. Already saw the
Knightfall
ending forever ago, so I don't have much to say about that. Ended up getting most of the trophies in the game, too Wasn't intending on going for the Platinum, but considering the only trophy I have left is the New Game Plus trophy, I might as well, meaning this is the first Arkham game I'll have gotten the Platinum for. Not touching NG+ until the 1970s & Dick Grayson Batsuit skins release, though.

On another note, I've been gliding around the (mostly empty at this point) Gotham blasting the main themes for Arkham City and Mask of the Phantasm through the Custom Soundtrack player, and it's seriously the most I've come to feeling like Batman in any game. Anyone with access to those mp3s should definitely try it.

On Demand

Banned
The
knightfall
ending seems glitched since you can activate it with only 7 villains captured out of 14, but if you get like 12 or 13, then you seemingly have to get them all. I still need to test it out since I've only completed all side missions before activating the protocol.

That said, you only miss out on two cutscenes — it's not ideal of course, but watching them on Youtube is the same experience. Don't put yourself through content in a game you don't like just for some FMVs. If you unlocked new characters or game modes for getting 100%, that'd be one thing, but it's just a video. You beat the game, you just didn't 100% it — you miss out on post-capture villain dialogue here just as you would in City with the Riddler.

If it's a bug they should of fixed it by now. It's game breaking imo.

As i said before it's not about putting myself through these side quest even though i don't want to. After you capture that certain guy, does that feel like an ending to you? Batman says what he says and i'm expecting to go somewhere and do one last thing/fight. To have to complete these tedious things to complete the game is terrible design.

So I just got the game and entered the codes for the exclusive skins and Scarecrow Nightmare Missions.

But when I went to download them it says "Choose a Version" instead of Download for both of these. When I hit X it gives me two options that both say "Add-On Content".

Anybody able to tell me what this means?

SlickVic

Think I died at least a good 10 times at the
drill knight
boss battle. Rather lousy design as it's more annoying than truly challenging (chalk up another example of a modern video game struggling to do a fun yet challenging boss fight), but I think I realized at the end the key is to try to stay as level to the ground as much as possible. I like the batmobile controls when going around the city, but it's incredibly disorienting when it tries to do its best "Sonic the Hedgehog" impression when going around pipes.The fight is almost baiting you to rush and mess up when the drill's red laser thing lines up with you, but taking a little time to make sure you stay to the ground really helps with
exiting the mine field
at the end successfully.

Top Bottom