• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Alienous

The
knightfall
ending seems glitched since you can activate it with only 7 villains captured out of 14, but if you get like 12 or 13, then you seemingly have to get them all. I still need to test it out since I've only completed all side missions before activating the protocol.

I'm not so sure it's a glitch.

It just seems like the game is intent on incentivising 100%-ing the game by revealing the ending. So no matter what you do finishing the main missions, short of getting 100%, it wants you to get to the next level.

So, like, if you've almost completed all of the Most Wanted the game is like "Well, why don't you complete them all before you get any of the 'real' ending". It seems more likely to me that it was an intentional attempt to get the most amount of players to complete all of the game content.

On Demand

Banned
lol. One of the street bombs you have 50 tanks to fight. lol. Who at RS thought that was a good idea? I have like 10 of them left. No thanks. I think I'm going to sell this game. What horrible experience it is coming from AC.

The last Riddler race has to be a joke, right? I don't often get that frustrated with video games, but who in the absolute fuck thought these races were a good idea? All of them are not fun in any way, and you'd have to remind yourself you are playing a freaking Batman game. The last one especially is so cheap and annoying, I'm on the third lap and its killing me to try to beat it.

Who's idea was it to put unmanned drone tanks all over the freaking game and have them be basically the main enemy you fight throughout the entire game, so the game basically devolves into a tank game, and a not very good one at that.

The batmobile could have been such a cool addition, but whomever was in charge of design for how it would fit into the game was so off base. Chasing down enemies in it is fine- the APC side missions are cool, and I like using it to chase down
firefly
, those implementations make sense. Solving platforming puzzles and engaging in monotonous tank battles with it doesn't.

If this game does anything better than Batman AC, its overshadowed by how shitty the batmobile is. It brings the game from an 8 or 9 down to like a 6 for me.

Militia checkpoints/watchtowers need to have their own challenge mode. Replaying those is even better than challenge maps of past games, but you have to just let them respawn and there's no recording your best times, nor are there any specific requirements you have to meet.

It just seems like the game is intent on incentivising 100%-ing the game by revealing the ending. So no matter what you do finishing the main missions, short of getting 100%, it wants you to get to the next level.

So, like, if you've almost completed all of the Most Wanted the game is like "Well, why don't you complete them all before you get any of the 'real' ending". It seems more likely to me that it was an intentional attempt to get the most amount of players to complete all of the game content.

And if that's the case, it's working, going by the people saying they're doing all the side-missions even when though they hate them. There have been people doing that for trophy/achievement the whole series — insane, but at least it fits with the series' theme. Some will trudge though anything for a sticker.

SlickVic

Just finished up the main story (minus acquiring the true ending). Overall enjoyed the game a lot more than I thought I would. I probably should qualify that by stating I really liked Asylum and City, and I certainly was looking forward to playing Knight quite a bit (to the point I didn't want to wait for the PC version to get fixed so I got it refunded and played it on console). And while I was certain Knight would be a good game, I was skeptical if the series truly had enough in the tank (forgive the pun) to deliver another game that matched the overall quality of it's predecessors.

While Arkham Asylum's atmosphere and setting are perhaps the best of the series (playing in a Gotham populated with civilians potentially could've been great as well, though I can perhaps understand their reasons for not going that route), I do like that Arkham Knight polished and improved upon the open world setting that Arkham City started. It isn't the massive open world that certain RPG's can claim, and certainly not all content in here is quality, but there's plenty to do and much of it is fun IMO. Watchtowers and Checkpoints for example feel reminiscent of Far Cry's outposts and share their addictive qualities of "let me just clear one more".

As far as the main story, opinions certainly will vary widely on it, but it was another thing I wound up liking a lot more more than I thought I would. Not sure where I'd rank it among the whole series, but I probably liked it more than City. But I haven't hit the true ending yet, so maybe my thoughts on it are a bit premature at this point.

The Batmobile appears the most controversial aspect of the game. I personally disliked it quite a bit in the beginning, particularly because it felt like it handled so poorly. But then I read somewhere that you shouldn't touch the right stick to adjust the camera while in pursuit mode (i.e. let the camera adjust itself) and the handling controls instantly became so much better. I went from sheer frustration in trying to do the "Gotham on Fire" and chase APC missions to actually having a lot of fun completing them, because I was no longer fighting the batmobile to get it to do what I wanted. I still think some of the acrobatic controls (i.e. doing loops to avoid obstacle or driving sideways through pipes) were a bit wonky, though thankfully most of that seems relegated to Riddler side content I'm more than happy to ignore.

I'm glad I learned that trick with the Batmobile controls, as I'm certain the game as a whole would've been a good deal less enjoyable for me if it remained such a struggle to control the thing. While I still spent most of my traversal in the city by gliding, I'm glad I was able to enjoy using the Batmobile as well.

Lima

You know I don't have a problem with skins but how about releasing them first? Like when I can actually use them? I'm done 200% with the game so everything done in both ng and ng+.

There are also no interesting challenge maps so where should I use those skins? Guess I will use them whenever they put out challenge maps. Hopefully there are going to be a bunch of them then.

I just noticed another thing I really hate about Nightwing's stupid mask in this game. It goes right up to his ears which means he has no fucking sideburns. Dick must look even more ridiculous without the mask.

batman-ak-02.jpg
Sorry to keep bringing this up, it's just really dumb.

GeoGonzo

So is this playable yet on PC? Got it free with an nvidia 970 Mini bundle and been holding off...
It worked well enough for me and a few others. If I were you I'd give it a try, see how it goes... just keep expectations in check, though.

They've only patched it once so far to add AO and some shaders that were missing. We are expecting an "interim" patch to be released this month, but that may still be a few weeks away.

Alpende

Random comment but I really liked how the Batmobile would 'growl' when you called it in. Like some beast coming straight at you and scaring thugs.

Random comment but I really liked how the Batmobile would 'growl' when you called it in. Like some beast coming straight at you and scaring thugs.

The Batmobile sound design is fantastic, something I overlooked too much. Drifting, boosting, stopping, burnouts, etc. all sound ridiculous and it's great. If it's overdone, it's still better than most games that feature vacuum cleaner engine sounds.

On Demand

Banned

And that's a completely idiotic way to design the game.

So is this playable yet on PC? Got it free with an nvidia 970 Mini bundle and been holding off...

Arkham Knight's PC port is not as much of a disaster as you've heard and there's no way it topples the likes of Saints Row 2, Dark Souls 1, or Resident Evil 4. It is a bad port but if you're a PC player I don't know how you deal with bad ports without having an aneurysm.

No, the reason Arkham Knight's PC version was pulled from sale was because it was the first bad AAA PC port to be released after Steam refunds were implemented.

And that's a completely idiotic way to design the game.

Man, people are seriously crapping their pants over not being able to watch a 45-second cutscene.

The "ending" you get for just stopping Scarecrow is fine enough on its own, they just gave some form of thematic weight to the postgame instead of having it be a weird ghost town that the villains still want for some reason.

Arkham Knight's PC port is not as much of a disaster as you've heard and there's no way it topples the likes of Saints Row 2, Dark Souls 1, or Resident Evil 4. It is a bad port but if you're a PC player I don't know how you deal with bad ports without having an aneurysm.

No, the reason Arkham Knight's PC version was pulled from sale was because it was the first bad AAA PC port to be released after Steam refunds were implemented.

Man, people are seriously crapping their pants over not being able to watch a 45-second cutscene.

The "ending" you get for just stopping Scarecrow is fine enough on its own, they just gave some form of thematic weight to the postgame instead of having it be a weird ghost town that the villains still want for some reason.

The port can be a true pain to get through for some people. Fluctuating framerates is one thing, but the hitching is a real killer. Sometimes I don't run into it and the game is tolerable-to-fine for me, but I can't deny there's just some inexcusable problems (the memory leak being a huge one).

I do agree about the ending thing though. If it unlocked a new character, AR challenge or even a costume, I'd understand the sentiment more. But to force yourself through content you don't want to do for a cutscene is baffling.

The port can be a true pain to get through for some people. Fluctuating framerates is one thing, but the hitching is a real killer. Sometimes I don't run into it and the game is tolerable-to-fine for me, but I can't deny there's just some inexcusable problems (the memory leak being a huge one).

I don't deny that at all and the port is absolute rubbish that consumers deserve to get refunded for, but people act like the port is legendarily bad when it's not even close to some of the worst ports of all time. Literally the only thing that convinced WB to take such drastic measures was that Steam refunds exist and Arkham Knight came soon enough after them that they were still a prolific feature of Steam.

I don't deny that at all and the port is absolute rubbish that consumers deserve to get refunded for, but people act like the port is legendarily bad when it's not even close to some of the worst ports of all time. Literally the only thing that convinced WB to take such drastic measures was that Steam refunds exist and Arkham Knight came soon enough after them that they were still a prolific feature of Steam.

Make no mistake, for such a high-profile release the state of Arkham Knight on PC is absolutely unacceptable. It is not the worst port on PC, but it has no business being as bad as it is, littered with all sorts of errors and omissions that should never have happened to begin with. The worst part is, WB's answer to this is to basically re-develop the game, reiterating just how much of a botched rush-job it was. If only for the sheer budget and stature of the series, Arkham Knight PC will be remembered for some time as one of the worst PC ports. And it won't be an undeserved reputation.

The big question is, how could such a serious publisher get it so wrong?

If only for the sheer budget and stature of the series, Arkham Knight PC will be remembered for some time as one of the worst PC ports.

That's exactly what I'm trying to say.

Arkham Knight's PC version isn't even worse than Dark Souls 1's, but it's going to be remembered as such because a) it's a much more high-profile game, and b) it's the first high-profile bad PC port to hit after Steam refunds.

I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but the sheer repetition in Arkham Knight's gameplay (where all the submissions to capture X criminal are basically the same) is a huge letdown. Was it like that in the previous Arkham games? I want to say it wasn't, but I really don't remember--at the very least, it was a lot better hidden, somehow.

And of course, a requisite comment that the batmobile sucks, was a mistake, trash, etc., and should never have been included.
That's exactly what I'm trying to say.

Arkham Knight's PC version isn't even worse than Dark Souls 1's, but it's going to be remembered as such because a) it's a much more high-profile game, and b) it's the first high-profile bad PC port to hit after Steam refunds.

Durante lessened the blow of DS1's port, so it's a lot easier to overlook.

But, yeah, I agree! I just thought we didn't which is why I posted before.

That is true, which is sad. I still wouldn't want to in ay way get people's hopes up that the game will run respectably without serious luck and tweaking, and even then really bad performance problems can occur. I was stuck with the PC version and couldn't get it on another platform, so I stuck with it and enjoyed it, but I would always preface saying "it's not the worst port/it might work okay for you" with "it will probably be really bad."

I was doing a bit of grinding last night when I found an Occupy Gotham mission that got the best of me. In fact, I died about 10 times! After about 2 deaths, I respawned and fell through the building, and continued falling through the ground and well below Gotham City! I fell for a good bit, never died, and eventually hit restart. The game restarted, and spawned me in the same spot and created the same outcome! I fell through the building and below Gotham. I managed to capture the video and screenshots. I'll post them soon.

I managed to get out and diving and gliding to a point where I could grapple my way up to the city. It was pretty insane.

I was stuck with the PC version and couldn't get it on another platform, so I stuck with it and enjoyed it, but I would always preface saying "it's not the worst port/it might work okay for you" with "it will probably be really bad."

Right, and that's what I was getting at - I was responding to the dude who was asking if the PC port is at least playable. Which it is, really.

Durante lessened the blow of DS1's port, so it's a lot easier to overlook.

Yeah, when people judge Dark Souls 1 PC, 99% of the time they're judging "Dark Souls 1 With DSFix Installed," ignoring that it's fucking inexcusable that a game should need to be fixed by its fans in the first place.

I was doing a bit of grinding last night when I found an Occupy Gotham mission that got the best of me. In fact, I died about 10 times! After about 2 deaths, I respawned and fell through the building, and continued falling through the ground and well below Gotham City! I fell for a good bit, never died, and eventually hit restart. The game restarted, and spawned me in the same spot and created the same outcome! I fell through the building and below Gotham. I managed to capture the video and screenshots. I'll post them soon.

I managed to get out and diving and gliding to a point where I could grapple my way up to the city. It was pretty insane.

If that happens, you can roll back to a previous autosave on the "saved game" screen by holding a certain button. I can't remember which one that is and I think it's only on consoles though.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Could somebody please link me to that gif of the batmobile falling off an overpass and flattening batman?

vladdamad

You know, the numerous jump scares in this game were really effective. But when I was starting New Game Plus yesterday I was thinking that they wouldn't really be effective the second time around. Playing the game again would just be a calm, relaxing experience. Right? Right??

Mild New Game Plus spoilers:
I damn near fell out of my chair when Joker started screaming in the cremation chamber. Holy hell. Masterfully executed, well played Rocksteady.

Chuckie

I'll spoiler this to be sure (ending spoilers)
I had to finish 11 missions to activate Knightfall Protocol, except when I had the eleven and I got the option to activate it.... it didn't work. Only after I defeated Deathstroke I could activate the Knightfall protocol. That seems to be a glitch. Why give me the option but nothing actually happens.

BiggNife

Question: Is it worth it to do Riddler's Revenge if I don't plan on getting all of the trophies? I assume I can get all of Catwoman's keys by just doing the challenges, but do I get any benefit from that? Like will Catwoman be usable later in the game if I do that? Or is it just not worth it unless I plan to get all of the Riddler Trophies? Because I can't say I'm a huge fan of these Batmobile challenges but I think Catwoman is fun to play as.

vladdamad

Question: Is it worth it to do Riddler's Revenge if I don't plan on getting all of the trophies? I assume I can get all of Catwoman's keys by just doing the challenges, but do I get any benefit from that? Like will Catwoman be usable later in the game if I do that? Or is it just not worth it unless I plan to get all of the Riddler Trophies? Because I can't say I'm a huge fan of these Batmobile challenges but I think Catwoman is fun to play as.

Mild spoilers as to the structure of Riddler's Revenge sidequest:
there are seven (I believe) missions in which you unlock keys for catwoman, three of these being Batmobile races, the other ones being more traditional puzzles, some involving the Batmobile, some involving Catwoman. After you get the last key Catwoman is free and you get some minor story closure with her. The only thing you are missing if you don't collect all the Riddler trophies are a boss fight with Riddler himself (fairly fun, but nothing special) and an extra scene with Catwoman. Catwoman is not playable outside of these missions.

To sum up (and if you don't want to look at spoilers) unless you are enjoying the challenges in themselves I wouldn't bother, although you do get some Catwoman story closure even if you don't collect all the trophies.

That happened to me but I was aiminng to go through a window but missed and went through the building, when I dropped down I was under the map but I didn't manage to get myself out, luckily the game hadn't saved though.

What the FUCK happened to Tara Strong's performance as Harley in this game? She's completely lost sight of the character.

Her voice work was horrible in this.

Is the Point of Impact trophy glitched? I'm literally doing everything people in the trophy guides are doing and...nothing.

I also know for a fact I've gotten three critical hits in one battle in the story and still haven't unlocked that Untouchable challenge (supposed to be easier for unlocking Point of Impact) and it hasn't unlocked.

Is my game just fucked?

Reule

Is the WB Play not showing as logged in on the main menu for anyone else? It shows a red exclamation point. I clicked on it and it says I'm signed in but the normal blue bat symbol is not shown on the main menu.

Is the WB Play not showing as logged in on the main menu for anyone else? It shows a red exclamation point. I clicked on it and it says I'm signed in but the normal blue bat symbol is not shown on the main menu.

Same.

I don't know if it's because of that new skin or what.

Top Bottom