• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

ZeroX03

Banned
Anyone else really pleased with the implementation of (2hr spoiler)
Joker as a hallucination
? Take the two most overused things in the Arkham games and mashing them together seems to have worked wonderfully.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I would also like to know if the patch is necessary on PS4, I only have 2 hours to play it tonight so I'd like to skip the patch for my first session and download it tonight.

Hate to quote myself but, anyone?

I thought we were going to be able to select our skins from start. Did I miss something in the main menu? Or.. was I wrong?

You can, i can't remember exactly which, but there is a menu option to view all the unlocked skins and models in the game. You choose that after choosing your save file and before continuing the story.

I already turned my PC off, but maybe it was called "Archives"?

Chanser

It is here!

mkpck9Z.jpg

Neff

Joker as a hallucination
? Take the two most overused things in the Arkham games and mashing them together seems to have worked wonderfully.

It's really well done, especially the... stuff... during the... moment.

Also I only just noticed it on my second playthrough, but Batman
starts seeing Joker in more subtle ways, fleetingly invading advertising boards and the like

How do you get the blood sample from (side quest spoilers)
from man bat?

Just climb somewhere above him while he's flying and divebomb the poor bastard

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I hate you, OP! That title got me all giddy for the briefest moment.

jbortz78

Great OT, awesome job!

Really got me pumped for the game again, only problem now is finishing the Witcher 3 before... Hmm if Im about to leave for
Kaer Morhan after Velen, novigrad and Skellige
how much do I have left?

nOoblet16

I'm not liking the Batmobile controls one bit, L2/LT for Battle mode instead of reverse is bad as it is but you have to hold it and I don't believe there is a toggle option which makes it considerably worse.

Why not just assign Tank mode to square and keep it as a toggle and assign L2 for reverse?

And triangle for Afterburners instead of X? Ehh

Wow @ the dlc situation

083a66127b.png

There's only one significant piece of DLC in that spreadsheet, and there's only like 5 items in general. It's not as bad as the spreadsheet looks at first glance.

I'm not liking the Batmobile controls one bit, L2/LT for Battle mode instead of reverse is bad as it is but you have to hold it and I don't believe there is a toggle option which makes it considerably worse.

Why not just assign Tank mode to square and keep it as a toggle and assign L2 for reverse?

And triangle for Afterburners instead of X? Ehh

There is a toggle in the control options, makes R1 battle mode and L2 reverse.

ktroopa

apologies if this has been answered already but with all the DLC flying about i got kinda lost.

I have the Premium edition and its installed, does this include the Harley Quinn DLC i see some people have installed or is that something you dont get with the season pass?

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Very, very early in the game and I just noticed a glitch inside (building name)
Oracle's clock tower
. The rain was pouring down... Indoors. Anyone else spot this, or did I just get a very random glitch?

nOoblet16

There's only one significant piece of DLC in that spreadsheet, and there's only like 5 items in general. It's not as bad as the spreadsheet looks at first glance.

There is a toggle in the control options, makes R1 battle mode and L2 reverse.
Thanks that's much better but it's weird to not have that option in the "controls" menu lol

SomTervo

I absolutely adore Arkham Knight, but the first Riddler Challenge is really badly judged. Tbh, all the Riddler stuff to do with driving is badly judged. The Riddler would never say 'Let's test your skill, Batman!' he'd just say 'You will never solve this one, Batman!'

The Riddler's writing has collapsed entirely from Asylum and City. The actual puzzles are okay though and the driving challenges definitely get better. I don't find the Batmobile's controls janky but I do think the mid-air physics aren't great.

Its been a while since I played Origins (I played it at launch and never touched it since) but from what I remember, there were two big annoyances:

1. They removed canceling. In City, if you pressed attack, but another guy came at you, if you pressed counter quickly enough you would counter the guy instead of finishing the attack. They removed this in Origins - the attack will finish and you cannot counter until the attack is finished. I don't like this change because it slows down the game and makes combat feel disjointed instead of freeflowing. It also encourages a very spammy evade attack evade attack type of playstyle because if you attack and someone goes in for a punch, there isn't anything you can do about it.

2. Those shock gloves. I think it is almost a cannibalizing of the combat to be honest. What makes the freeflow system so engaging is that you can never let your attention wander. There are lots of enemy types and each one has to be taken down in a specific manner. But then you get shock gloves and you can lolpuncheverything. It makes the challenging part of the game boring.

Sorry if any of this is inaccurate, like I said I haven't played the game since I finished it back when it came out.

1. It makes you choose your strikes more carefully. Same goes for not being able to spam quickfire batarangs for fear of hitting an armored enemy and losing combo. There is a different flow to the combat, but after a while you get used to it. Batman definitely feels like less of a badass because of it, but I think it works well with him being early in his career (I give WB Montreal the benefit of the doubt that this was intentional).

2. I sort of see the shock gloves as a replacement for the REC gun, which was equally overpowered in it's own way.

Love this exchange.

1. I think in Origins it actually fit with Batman's character that he didn't prioritise blocking. He was a more brash, aggressive Batman. Always focusing on the attack rather than considering the blindside-punch that may be coming at him. He wouldn't drop an attack to block another. (Also I agree with above that it made you pick your moves more carefully.)

2. I hated the shock gloves too. But - the wonder of Freeflow - I just didn't use them. Good point about them being like an REC replacement, I suppose.

Joker as a hallucination

It's really well done, especially the... stuff... during the... moment.

Also I only just noticed it on my second playthrough, but Batman
starts seeing Joker in more subtle ways, fleetingly invading advertising boards and the like

Just climb somewhere above him while he's flying and divebomb the poor bastard

An anti-
detective mode
unit. You bastards Rocksteady.

All ingenious. They've really, really outdone themselves with Knight.

I also love that standard thugs get an unblockable charge move. Really subtle and adds a lot to the fights.

On the one hand, I told myself I'd wait until the eventual GOTY edition on account of the season pass. On the other, the game looks amazing and the impressions so far have been good.

Decisions, decisions...

amardilo

I bought Batman: Arkham Knight digitally on the PS4 but it's not downloading. When I try to download it via the SEN site I I keep getting a "Download Error" message.

Anyone else have this issue? I have about 100GB of HDD space free and only have 1 PS4 (which is set to my Primary console) so I don't think those are the issue.

UPDATE - Found a workaround that says downlaod Singstar and a free song and everything starts to work again.

SomTervo

how does the city feel? is it bland and lifeless like Infamous SS or does it feel alive and breathing like GTA V?

Imo it feels really alive a lot of the time. Sometimes staggeringly so. Like 30-50 guys over two blocks tearing shops apart and looting, a police car chase flying by, some drone tanks patrolling. I've had quite a few full-blown GTA moments, too, where like there's a huge random crash and the police get involved while drones tear shit up and thugs are flying about in explosions. So awesome.

It's probably as alive as the world in inFamous: First Light (ie more alive than Second Son), and it's more engaging than GTA because every moving object in the city can be taken down.

It's halfway between Second Son and GTA I'd say. Really carves its own corner. It's a great world.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
How are the challenge maps in this game? Anything like the AC challenges where you selected various modifiers for them?

Also can you play as the other characters in all of the challenge maps? Heard that Robin, Nightwing and Catwoman are not usable outside of dual play

Mikey Jr.

Man, they really throw me into the shit with this game. It's been a long time since city, and it feels like I'm supposed to know how combat works, item shortcuts, etc. They don't ease you in at all.

taoofjord

Outside of the lack of NVIDIA card effects and the obvious (frame rate, res), how does the PS4 version stack up against the PC version? It seems Digital Foundry hasn't made their comparison yet and I'd prefer to play this on PS4 if it's pretty close in quality.

Man, they really throw me into the shit with this game. It's been a long time since city, and it feels like I'm supposed to know how combat works, item shortcuts, etc. They don't ease you in at all.

If you press left on the DPAD, you can do AR training. I haven't tried but I believe that's the basic tutorials and stuff.

Fliesen

Sony never disappoints ...

20150623111321i0lsr.jpg

Premium service.

picked up my copy from the store, dropped it off at our place's mailbox. "just shove it into the PS4 and check if it's lit up either blue or yellow on top, and we're good"

... i hope we're good.... 4 hours till i'm off work

SomTervo

TBH they really dropped the ball re tutorials. I foresee a lot of new players really, really struggling with this game.

I'm seasoned as hell and even I noticed how little tutorial/explanation there was for a lot of the mechanics. It doesn't even tell you the punch/block buttons at the beginning IIRC.

SJRB

Gold Member
There are a couple of "tricks" that have a big impact on PSN download speeds:

- Don't play a game
- Don't have multiple downloads at the same time

Best tip is just to put it in standby mode, for some reason download speed increases quite a bit.

Top Bottom