• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This isn't tightly connected to previous games in the series is it? I finished AA but still have AC in my backlog and didn't buy AO. I want to play this one first though, then maybe go back and play AC at some point.

ZeroX03

Banned
This isn't tightly connected to previous games in the series is it? I finished AA but still have AC in my backlog and didn't buy AO. I want to play this one first though, then maybe go back and play AC at some point.

This game spoils the final twist of Arkham City. Play City first. They're very tightly connected. Origins can
and should
be skipped.

Footos22

Holy fuck, when (actual spoiler)
Joker is behind you and shouts "Missed me?!"
I jumped sky high, immediately followed by
Batman popping up behind Gordon in the fear sequence...
Fuck, I actually got scared.

I'm fucking loving this so far.

Theres one bit even worse then that after and its just when your roaming about the city.
legit flew off my seat

didn't finished AC, but there's audio talk from the beginning which summarizes what happened

Ferrio

Banned
Fuck you game. It's a win, I'll take it.
FjjNAB2.png

Footos22

Oh man, you can punch the militia guy in the GCPD cell through the jailbars to get him to stop talking shit.

This game is killing it when it comes to the little things.

He actually grabs his head and slams it into the bars. i tried to upload it but psn said its not avaialble to share :(

webkatt

Last post of the night, If any of you UK guys got the game code from the LE snafu and are willing to wait, I will gladly buy your code!

t hicks

Banned
Been playing since midnight (EST) and I'm absolutely loving this game so far. Wasn't sure how I felt about the batmobile at first but after getting used to it (and switching the tank controls to toggle on/off) I'm starting to enjoy it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Takes place a year later and you will be getting spoiled on the events and fates of some of the villains from City. Not really THAT big a deal unless you are sensitive to any possibility for spoilers, some of which aren't very direct and must be 'found or discovered'. Still just be wary this very much does reference the previous games as full on canon.

Gurish

Damnit this game is looking so good visually, U3 is still putting some work, I didn't know if shit was a cut scene or gameplay at times, the models looks incredible even for a non open world, so double the effect when it's actually open world.

I want to see the PC version from Gamersyde, must be insane.

Asking here too:
Is the game released already on EU PSN? Got my Amazon UK code, redeemed it, but the game won't show up in my download list :(

EDIT: SOLVED. Downloading now.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Anyone know how to get 3 Stars on that Batmobile Tank challenge near the beginning? Don't really understand the "critical hit" system for vehicles.

Neff

This game spoils the final twist of Arkham City. Play City first. They're very tightly connected. Origins can
and should
be skipped.

Origins is well worth a play. It's rough around the edges but it has (imo) the best story of the lot, and had the best combat until Arkham Knight came along.

Garibaldi

Has anyone ordered from amazon.co.uk? If so did you get the promo code for the prototype batmobile skin? Mine doesn't seem to work.

ZeroX03

Banned
Origins is well worth a play. It's rough around the edges but it has (imo) the best story of the lot, and had the best combat until Arkham Knight came along.

I don't want to go deep into this well, but it absolutely does not have the best combat. They borderline ruined it.

And the question was about story. Origins has little to do with Knight and can very well be skipped.

Sojgat

Story wise, perhaps. But Origins totally screwed up the combat, not to mention the horrendous bugs (although it looks like AK is following in its footsteps, at least on PC)

The combat wasn't screwed up at all. They changed some stuff, and added some more enemy types. I actually slightly prefer it to AC's combat.

I don't want to go deep into this well, but it absolutely does not have the best combat. They borderline ruined it.

And the question was about story. Origins has little to do with Knight and can very well be skipped.

Go deep. I haven't got AK yet, I need something to keep me occupied till the midnight launch.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I would also like to know if the patch is necessary on PS4, I only have 2 hours to play it tonight so I'd like to skip the patch for my first session and download it tonight.

The combat wasn't screwed up at all. They changed some stuff, and added some more enemy types. I actually slightly prefer it to AC's combat.

They changed the timings for enemy attacks, which made it hard to get consistent counters if your used to AA/AC's combat. Since they were ingrained in me I found the fights irritating and just dodged most of the time. Also the addition of the gloves was a terrible idea, the fights devolved into a game of getting your combo up just so you could turn them for an instant win. Because of this the fights were far less interesting. I really like AO but it's combat is a clear step down from AC.

Neff

You're welcome to explain why, even if it doesn't sound like you want to. Obviously the Rocksteady titles are far more polished, and this applies to combat, but personally I thought the additions Origins brought to the table made it the most satisfying, at least when played on hard.

ZeroX03

Banned
Go deep. I haven't got AK yet, I need something to keep me occupied till the midnight launch.

You're welcome to explain why, even if it doesn't sound like you want to. Obviously the Rocksteady titles are far more polished, and this applies to combat, but personally I thought the additions Origins brought to the table made it the most satisfying, at least when played on hard.

I'm actually trying to google and find my old rant on it instead of having to type it up again haha.

HardRojo

I said I'd wait but I'm getting this game during the weekend. They aren't selling copies here in Peru yet as there was a problem importing them or something but they should have them by the weekend.

PC version has a few bugs. Occasional skipping when entering a new area. Also, I was just sightseeing underneath in some tunnels, the area didn't complete the textures pop-in and the game crashed. Hopefully they come with those patches soon.

Permanently A

Its been a while since I played Origins (I played it at launch and never touched it since) but from what I remember, there were two big annoyances:

1. They removed canceling. In City, if you pressed attack, but another guy came at you, if you pressed counter quickly enough you would counter the guy instead of finishing the attack. They removed this in Origins - the attack will finish and you cannot counter until the attack is finished. I don't like this change because it slows down the game and makes combat feel disjointed instead of freeflowing. It also encourages a very spammy evade attack evade attack type of playstyle because if you attack and someone goes in for a punch, there isn't anything you can do about it.

2. Those shock gloves. I think it is almost a cannibalizing of the combat to be honest. What makes the freeflow system so engaging is that you can never let your attention wander. There are lots of enemy types and each one has to be taken down in a specific manner. But then you get shock gloves and you can lolpuncheverything. It makes the challenging part of the game boring.

Sorry if any of this is inaccurate, like I said I haven't played the game since I finished it back when it came out.

Amazing experience thus far.

Just finished reconstructing the crash site for Barbara. Then went and did the Azrael side mission, and I totally didn't expect to play as him. On my way I got the shit scared out of me by Man-Bat.
Everything just flows so well thus far. Anyone figure out the (early side mission spoiler)
the murders with the opera music?
Did the first part then nothing.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm actually trying to google and find my old rant on it instead of having to type it up again haha.

Okay I can't find it, I know there were a few really good write ups on GAF on why Origins was such a downgrade in the combat. I'll try and be brief because I want to get back to playing AK lol.

Essentially Origins took City's combat, added new shit and sped the enemies up without adjusting most of the older animations and moves to suit. Suddenly you're getting interrupted in your freeflow where you wouldn't have before. Slower moves were borderline useless because they'd rarely ever work. Basically single hit, dodge, single hit, dodge, repeat (with instant takedowns where possible) was the best way to fight because actually trying to vary your combo would put you at more risk than the reward. Drained a lot of the creativity. Throw in the glitches and occasional unregistered input - ESPECIALLY COUNTERS - and it made for a mess of a combat compared to the previous two games which were very tightly designed and encouraged variety.

Of course this would serve to make it harder if it wasn't for the electric gloves that swing the difficulty from probably a bit too high to way too easy when they're on. And predator was okay but again glitches would often screw you over, especially in the maps with wave after wave. Looking at you Deadshoot room.

Sojgat

Its been a while since I played Origins (I played it at launch and never touched it since) but from what I remember, there were two big annoyances:

1. They removed canceling. In City, if you pressed attack, but another guy came at you, if you pressed counter quickly enough you would counter the guy instead of finishing the attack. They removed this in Origins - the attack will finish and you cannot counter until the attack is finished. I don't like this change because it slows down the game and makes combat feel disjointed instead of freeflowing.

2. Those shock gloves. I think it is almost a cannibalizing of the combat to be honest. What makes the freeflow system so engaging is that you can never let your attention wander. There are lots of enemy types and each one has to be taken down in a specific manner. But then you get shock gloves and you can lolpuncheverything. It makes the challenging part of the game boring.

Sorry if any of this is inaccurate, like I said I haven't played the game since I finished it back when it came out.

1. It makes you choose your strikes more carefully. Same goes for not being able to spam quickfire batarangs for fear of hitting an armored enemy and losing combo. There is a different flow to the combat, but after a while you get used to it. Batman definitely feels like less of a badass because of it, but I think it works well with him being early in his career (I give WB Montreal the benefit of the doubt that this was intentional).

2. I sort of see the shock gloves as a replacement for the REC gun, which was equally overpowered in it's own way.

Top Bottom