• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

I played Origins for the first time in months yesterday and couldn't get a handle on the combat. Couldn't put my finger on why. Booted up Asylum and instantly fell into a rhythm. Same thing with Knight. Combat just works in it. Origins less so.

Altairre

Okay I can't find it, I know there were a few really good write ups on GAF on why Origins was such a downgrade in the combat. I'll try and be brief because I want to get back to playing AK lol.

Essentially Origins took City's combat, added new shit and sped the enemies up without adjusting most of the older animations and moves to suit. Suddenly you're getting interrupted in your freeflow where you wouldn't have before. Slower moves were borderline useless because they'd rarely ever work. Basically single hit, dodge, single hit, dodge, repeat (with instant takedowns where possible) was the best way to fight because actually trying to vary your combo would put you at more risk than the reward. Drained a lot of the creativity. Throw in the glitches and occasional unregistered input - ESPECIALLY COUNTERS - and it made for a mess of a combat compared to the previous two games which were very tightly designed and encouraged variety.

Of course this would serve to make it harder if it wasn't for the electric gloves that swing the difficulty from probably a bit too high to way too easy when they're on. And predator was okay but again glitches would often screw you over, especially in the maps with wave after wave. Looking at you Deadshoot room.

Yup, I can confirm this. As someone who got a fairly decent highscore on all of the challenge maps with all characters in City, I barely touched them in Origins because the combat wasn't as smooth or precise as it needed to be. The shock gloves were were a terrible addition as well, didn't like that mechanic at all.

Love it. The PS4 version is amazing. Not a fan of Bat's new face, he was perfect in Arkham City...but here it just seems off. Other than that - loving the chit out of this so far - still trying to get used to the batmobile but its not as bad as people say.
This is just another reason why I love the PS4 - this IS next gen gaming defined imo

Managed to take a screenshot of Arkham City without DOF blurring everything:
9BD05BADE7FB144A9BE03929D978171C0BDC37BD

You can still make out a lot of the buildings and landmarks. Arkham Origins and Asylum are also in the skyline.

SoulUnison

Banned
I played Origins for the first time in months yesterday and couldn't get a handle on the combat. Couldn't put my finger on why. Booted up Asylum and instantly fell into a rhythm. Same thing with Knight. Combat just works in it. Origins less so.

Origins really screwed up the combat. It's like the enemies are set to "100% aggressive, all the time!" and there are basically no breaks between attacks and takedowns. When I played it on launch I seriously thought the enemy AI was glitched and needed to be patched, or something, but no, that's the way they thought the game should play. Batman also seemed to move slower and get locked into animations more than in the previous games, just generally making him feel clunkier and less responsive all around. He's like a punching bag on ice skates instead of a nimble face-splitter.

The Origins team tried to fix something that wasn't broken, and it shows.

Playing on ps4 no idea why people have trouble controlling the batmobile. Took down the first "boss" against it and its controls are pretty much just like any car in any other game.

Permanently A

1. It makes you choose your strikes more carefully. Same goes for not being able to spam quickfire batarangs for fear of hitting an armored enemy and losing combo. There is a different flow to the combat, but after a while you get used to it. Batman definitely feels like less of a badass because of it, but I think it works well with him being early in his career (I give WB Montreal the benefit of the doubt that this was intentional).

2. I sort of see the shock gloves as a replacement for the REC gun, which was equally overpowered in it's own way.

The problem with the different flow is that the optimal playstyle becomes evade attack evade attack because if you try to attack and someone attacks you there isn't anything you can do (because they removed canceling into counters). Now if this is intentional to portray Batman as weaker, I can totally respect that. But it doesn't change the fact that the combat feels worse compared to previous games. It might have felt more natural if Origins was the first game of the series, but otherwise if feels like fixing something that wasn't broken.

I don't see how the REC gun and the shock gloves are at all comparable to be honest. You're gonna have to explain that one to me. REC gun stuns enemies, shock gloves knock them out.

Neff

Basically single hit, dodge, single hit, dodge, repeat (with instant takedowns where possible) was the best way to fight because actually trying to vary your combo would put you at more risk than the reward.

This sounds absolutely bananas. Fighting would take forever like that, surely? Freeflow and cancels are viable in Origins, you just have to be on point because the timing for counters is incredibly short compared to Rocksteady's games. It's literally *guy runs up to you - SMACK*

Still, I think anyone who's played Knight would agree that it takes the crown for combat and predator alike.

HardRojo

Managed to take a screenshot of Arkham City without DOF blurring everything:

You can still make out a lot of the buildings and landmarks. Arkham Origins and Asylum are also in the skyline.
I've read this exact same post before somewhere. Is it a reference to something?

ZeroX03

Banned
This sounds absolutely bananas. Fighting would take forever like that, surely? Freeflow and cancels are absolutely viable in Origins, you just have to be on point because the timing for counters is incredibly short compared to Rocksteady's games. It's literally *guy runs up to you - SMACK*

It doesn't take forever at all. Attack, dodge, instant takedown, electric gloves. By far the safest way to take down enemies and pretty quick, certainly enough for any challenge maps.

Just because freeflow and cancels are technically viable, doesn't mean they're the best option. Why take that risk?

Played for about 4 hours tonight, loving the game so far. Everything just feels right. I have one question, not sure if anyone here would know. Is there any way to gain information about the side quest objective locations other than just by wandering around? Specifically talking about the first two quests opened up to you:
finding the firemen and solving the murders.

Sojgat

Okay I can't find it, I know there were a few really good write ups on GAF on why Origins was such a downgrade in the combat. I'll try and be brief because I want to get back to playing AK lol.

Essentially Origins took City's combat, added new shit and sped the enemies up without adjusting most of the older animations and moves to suit. Suddenly you're getting interrupted in your freeflow where you wouldn't have before. Slower moves were borderline useless because they'd rarely ever work. Basically single hit, dodge, single hit, dodge, repeat (with instant takedowns where possible) was the best way to fight because actually trying to vary your combo would put you at more risk than the reward. Drained a lot of the creativity. Throw in the glitches and occasional unregistered input - ESPECIALLY COUNTERS - and it made for a mess of a combat compared to the previous two games which were very tightly designed and encouraged variety.

Of course this would serve to make it harder if it wasn't for the electric gloves that swing the difficulty from probably a bit too high to way too easy when they're on. And predator was okay but again glitches would often screw you over, especially in the maps with wave after wave. Looking at you Deadshoot room.

You can still use a lot of variation, it's just less forgiving than AC. The only real problem is not being able to cancel out of the ground pound from aerial attacks, making it really risky to use on anyone but shield enemies.

The problem with the different flow is that the optimal playstyle becomes evade attack evade attack because if you try to attack and someone attacks you there isn't anything you can do (because they removed canceling into counters). Now if this is intentional to portray Batman as weaker, I can totally respect that. But it doesn't change the fact that the combat feels worse compared to previous games. It might have felt more natural if Origins was the first game of the series, but otherwise if feels like fixing something that wasn't broken.

I don't see how the REC gun and the shock gloves are at all comparable to be honest. You're gonna have to explain that one to me. REC gun stuns enemies, shock gloves knock them out.

REC gun knocks down armored enemies and any other enemies positioned behind them. It's super useful for clearing space and a lot quicker than explosive gel. It also lets you directly strike enemies with shields and stun batons while they're stunned.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
How does it perform on PS4?
Performs very well. Game overall feels very very polished and this extends to performance. I haven't noticed any frame drops at all exploring the city, gliding above it, grappling, even in combat with 15 thugs, etc. Only time I've noticed anything is in the Batmobile during really crazy times -- crashing into a huge amount of stuff at once, but even then it's pretty minor, maybe a few frames at most. I've also seen no screen tearing or pop in whatsoever.

ZeroX03

Banned
You can still use a lot of variation, it's just less forgiving than AC. The only real problem is not being able to cancel out of the ground pound from aerial attacks, making it really risky to use on anyone but shield enemies.

The problem is it's too unforgiving to the point of being useless. Asylum, City and Knight encourage the variety by having a fair risk/reward balance. Origins doesn't.

Xemnas89

Played for a few hours tonight. I stopped after
the ace chemical plant explosion
and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm not even annoyed by the batmobile at this point but it is early still.

Neff

It doesn't take forever at all. Attack, dodge, instant takedown, electric gloves. By far the safest way to take down enemies and pretty quick, certainly enough for any challenge maps.

Just because freeflow and cancels are technically viable, doesn't mean they're the best option. Why take that risk?

Cus it's super-fast and you're not spending time dodging, you're doing damage more or less non-stop. And it's really not that risky if your timing's good. If anything, I feel safer waiting for them to come to me rather than jumping around the screen. I don't see why dodging is necessary myself unless you're about to be clobbered by a non-counterable attack, but hey. If playing the game that way is viable also, more power to it.

Vaga

Performs very well. Game overall feels very very polished and this extends to performance. I haven't noticed any frame drops at all exploring the city, gliding above it, grappling, even in combat with 15 thugs, etc. Only time I've noticed anything is in the Batmobile during really crazy times -- crashing into a huge amount of stuff at once, but even then it's pretty minor, maybe a few frames at most. I've also seen no screen tearing or pop in whatsoever.

Sounds great, can't wait to get home and dive in.

Sojgat

The problem is it's too unforgiving to the point of being useless. Asylum, City and Knight encourage the variety by having a fair risk/reward balance. Origins doesn't.

Yeah, you've really got to clear space before you use it, but then there's not much point to using it. It was easily abused in AC, but Origins took it too far the other way.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wow, once you get to the first non-tutorial story mission the game gets amazing. The interplay between Batman and the Batmobile for puzzles and progression is really clever and unique.

Footos22

Played for about 4 hours tonight, loving the game so far. Everything just feels right. I have one question, not sure if anyone here would know. Is there any way to gain information about the side quest objective locations other than just by wandering around? Specifically talking about the first two quests opened up to you:
finding the firemen and solving the murders.

Thugs talking to the
firemen
will point you in their general direction.

The bodies you have to listen out for opera music

there is no waypoints apart from the first ones.

not really spoilers but some people are probably sensitive

Durden77

So I just did the first
Riddler
race and um...wow yeah. I did not enjoy that very much. So far I'm actually digging the Batmobile, but that was just not fun in that context. I need to get more used to the controls, but it just felt like shit. With the moving platforms an all throwing it all around. I imagine there's going to be a lot more of those which I can't say I'm looking forward to.

But yeah, so far hot damn. I spent a good 30-45 mins just exploring the police station alone. This game's graphical and asthetic detail is almost overwhelming. Pretty awesome.

Also I skipped Origins so it's been a while since I've played a Batman game, but is the ability to shoot up after a grapple into a high glide a skill unlock? Or do I just not remember how to do it? If it's an unlock I want it as soon as possible. Edit nvm, just found it.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Exploring the city with the Batmobile and having a great time. No idea you could just terrorize goons in your car (disabling their cars). The interplay between Batman and the Batmobile is very well done. Didnt really even touch the story in 3 hours of play, just ran around and had fun :)

Ferrio

Banned
Played a few hours tonight. You can easily get lost in the city just cruising around and admiring the sights. Also the amount of upgrades is god damned ludicrous.

Evo X

Oh My God.

This game turns it up to a whole new level of awesome when you get the new suit!

I've been grinning like an idiot for the past 10 minutes.

420bits

Played for 30min before work and I can't fucking wait to get home to play some more!

I'm thinking Thursday and taking Friday off work because, Batman! (and Dmc4)

That intro where the cop goes gun blazing in the café and later on you see him in a holdincell in the GCPD all crazy and the cops outside talks about him, so goood!
I just love the small details in this game and the random chatter :]

Evo X

Has anyone played the Red Hood and Harley missions yet. If so how long are they and how do you get to them? :p

On 90% :D

You access them from the main menu under "Arkham Episodes"

I don't have them because the Nvidia orders didn't include them, but hopefully I can play them soon as I bought the Season Pass.

Does anyone know if my brother can play the DLC missions on my PS4 with his own PSN account? I myself am the parent account and will be activating the codes.

erawsd

Does anyone know if my brother can play the DLC missions on my PS4 with his own PSN account? I myself am the parent account and will be activating the codes.

As long as that PS4 is set as your primary system he can access anything you own on it. I think one catch is that you have to initiate the download for it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So far so good. I seem to be 10% through the story. I feel like I've barely unlocked any skills or new gadgets, it's kinda crazy.

Top Bottom