• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Mask

Strange. Just finished the intro, got battered by the "zombie" and the screen is just black. Had to turn the whole PS4 off because it locked up completely when I tried to close it from the XMB..

After 1-2hours, not a huge fan of the batmobile so far but it's not terrible either. I love the presentation and some of the shots of the city. After 3 minutes of Arkham Knight, it looks like they are a bit obvious about his identity (I'm totally unspoiled and didn't follow the prerelease stuff so I hope I'm wrong).
I checked the challenges part and I'm not feeling what they did with them.

Man these PSN speeds are terrible. Even in stand-by mode it actually managed to download less than 1GB in an hour. (For reference, I downloaded the Gears Ultimate beta on Xbox earlier this week, which took 10 minutes for 6GB. Slowly picking up the pace atm.
Again, it's a shaky workaround at best, but try changing your DNS settings. I did it this morning and downloaded 7GB in 20 minutes, which is pretty much the fastest I can download.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
So apparently Harley and Red Hood are not even playable outside of their 10 minute missions and there are a lot less challenge maps than AC. That's very disappointing to hear, the challenges added a great amount of replay value to the previous games and they were perfectly done in AC.

Durden77

You mean the bits where there's a blue-green square and you have to drive the Batmobile on to it?

Just go on foot, zipping across the skyline, then when you're above the 'Batmobile point', hold RT to nose dive at it, and tap the 'Call Batmobile button'. It'll automatically drive to that point and Bats will get in it and the mission will continue.

In most cases I've found, that Batmobile actually is optional. It's just that there's usually drones around when the game wants you to use it, and the Batmobile can't defend itself.

No stuff like (early game spoiler)
Nearly the entire Ace Chemical plant section. The only part I found clever about that section was the elevator thing. Everything else was pretty much just "clear a path for the Batmobile so it can use dat winch."
Just kind of lame.

bryanee

The Batmobile combat feels very much like the vehicle combat in Transformers War/Fall of Cybertron games. I like it.

neoism

lullllzzzzzz dat first riddler Challenge

@______@
damn

i like and dont like the batmoblie but i wonder if one of the upgrades is better handleing Kappa...... its not as bad as i though but im sure some of the last riddler mission will but ridiculous.....

Sojgat

So apparently Harley and Red Hood are not even playable outside of their 10 minute missions and there are a lot less challenge maps than AC. That's very disappointing to hear, the challenges added a great amount of replay value to the previous games and they were perfectly done in AC.

How many challenge maps are we talking? Are you sure more don't only appear as you unlock them?

Less than the previous games would make me pretty upset.

Sub Zero

How many challenge maps are we talking? Are you sure more don't only appear as you unlock them?

Well, according to the trophy list there are 69 medals, so maybe 23 maps (1 less than base game AC) but a good amount of them are batmobile race tracks.

In AC you could play as any character in any map and the objectives would change depending on the character. Seems like this is gone now and you do not get to select a character

They will do it with DLC and lock more content into the season pass

SomTervo

No stuff like (early game spoiler)
Nearly the entire Ace Chemical plant section. The only part I found clever about that section was the elevator thing. Everything else was pretty much just "clear a path for the Batmobile so it can use dat winch."
Just kind of lame.

Idk, I loved that bit. You're forgetting you also had to move a ramp around to land jumps (not exactly cerebral but it was really nice) and manoeuvre the car up onto the secondary platform to pull down that wall and nail the baddies.

lullllzzzzzz dat first riddler Challenge

@______@
damn

i like and dont like the batmoblie but i wonder if one of the upgrades is better handleing Kappa...... its not as bad as i though but im sure some of the last riddler mission will but ridiculous.....

That challenge is the worst bit of the game for me so far. Rest is brillo.

I think there might be fewer 'traditional' challenge maps because a lot of them are Batmobile only (races, time trials and battles). Which I'm fairly okay with, personally but I can imagine others wouldn't be.

Poona

Really?

Pretty sure that the Harley DLC you got for pre-ordering was supposed to include challenge maps for her to play in. That's what they claimed way back when the announcement went up anyway.

Any XB1 impressions? Gonna get mine later today.

From what I've been hearing it runs great and looks great as well. People have been seeing it's 900p, but that there's pretty much no difference compared to the PS4 version of the game.

My LE for Xbox One arrives later today as well.

Well, according to the trophy list there are 69 medals, so maybe 23 maps (1 less than base game AC) but a good amount of them are batmobile race tracks.

In AC you could play as any character in any map and the objectives would change depending on the character. Seems like this is gone now and you do not get to select a character

Yeah, it's 23 but here's the breakdown (going by the menu):
- 6 batmobile hybrid challenges
- 4 batmobile combat challenges
- 5 batmobile race challenges
- 4 predator challenges
- 4 combat challenges
- On PS4, 3 scarecrow nightmare DLC challenges

These are all the available challenges. I don't know what that first category entails.

Drewfonse

Got it for the Xbox One because I am inexplicably locked in mortal combat (kombat?) with a local friend over gamerscore. We never mention it, it just exists. I'm at like 76100 he's at 76000. Ridiculous.

So yeah, I bought the 900p version instead of the 1080p version that has the add on Scarecrow missions. Did I miss anything substantial?

*slinks back into corner*

jimboton

The Polygon review says Rocksteady has dialled down the handholding a bit and (some) puzzles are more than just a matter of applying detective vision and/or following explicit instructions, any truth to that? How are the Riddler trophies compared to City?

Sojgat

I think there might be fewer 'traditional' challenge maps because a lot of them are Batmobile only (races, time trials and battles). Which I'm fairly okay with, personally but I can imagine others wouldn't be.

I would expect 12 for each category. If they add the Batmobile, they should add more maps for it, not reduce the number of combat and predator maps.

It would be real dirty, if they're holding that stuff for the season pass.

Edit:

- 4 predator challenges
- 4 combat challenges

These are all the available challenges. I don't know what that first category entails.

Yeah, fuck this. Tempted to wait for GOTY edition now.

SomTervo

- 4 predator challenges
- 4 combat challenges

IIRC, the first challenge category (Hybrid) includes hitting checkpoints ala a race/time trial, while also battling off drones and taking down thugs. Hybrid Batmobile combat and racing.

It seems a bit ridiculous there are only 8 traditional challenges. Surely it takes a very tiny amount of effort to slice out a decent fight/predator encounter from the main campaign and turn that into a challenge. It's resources, but nowhere near as much as designing a race route through a city or a new story mission.

Edit:

I would expect 12 for each category. If they add the Batmobile, they should add more maps for it, not reduce the number of combat and predator maps.

It would be real dirty, if they're holding that stuff for the season pass.

Agreed. And I think they are.

HowZatOZ

Banned
That opening...holy shit so good. This game is just gorgeous and will fulfil all my Batman needs. Also I have absolutely no qualms with the Batmobile on PC, controls perfectly fine.

v1ncelis

Test connection solved the problem. After that all files downloaded in no time.
Finally in the game and wow I'm already blown away by how good it looks. Based Rocksteady.

Sub Zero

Really?

Pretty sure that the Harley DLC you got for pre-ordering was supposed to include challenge maps for her to play in. That's what they claimed way back when the announcement went up anyway.

Haven't played Harley yet, but Red Hood's pack is basically 3 connected challenges (2 combat and 1 predator) with a little bit of dialogue and barely any story . Don't think you get to play as him outside of that. Willing to bet that the same applies to Harley

- 4 predator challenges
- 4 combat challenges

So, 15/23 challenges are batmobile related. Did they really think that it was a good idea to shove the batmobile down our throats so much? I hope that the DLC makes up for this...

komplanen

Played for a couple of hours:

If the Arkham Knight turns out to be
Robin (as in the sidekick, not the bird)
, then fuck this game has some
shitty ass obvious writing
and I would be thoroughly disappointed. I'm really hoping I'm just being
led astray buy obvious red herrings

Batmobile feels like a dumb hinderance. So far two hours in I've spent most of my time assisting the batmobile around obstacles like it's some sort of senior citizen.

SomTervo

Batmobile feels like a dumb hinderance. So far two hours in I've spent most of my time assisting the batmobile around obstacles like it's some sort of senior citizen.

Yeah, it does seem a bit obvious. I hope that's not the case. Someone above mentioned that they got the AK's identity spoiled for them and that they hoped the game had other story megatons – so I hope it's a megaton and not just
Robin
. [Edit: there are other great story developments on the way, though bub. There's a lot to look forward to even aside from Arkham Knight.]

I love the Batmobile though. Whenever it gets stuck on obstacles pop on to Battle Mode. Then back into Car mode and zoom away.

obin_gam

This war weird - on the code pamphlets I got with the physical copy it says I cant use the skins (1966s etc) until after completing the main story?

Is this so or is it just a misprint? I thought we were able to change right from the get go :/

Sojgat

If Arkham Knight is
basically Jason Todd/Red Hood with a different helmet on,
I really don't consider that to be a totally original character as Rocksteady have been claiming.

ScribbleD

There are just two endings right?

Without into spoilers, how dramatic is the difference between the two endings? Is the true ending just the ending with an extra little scene tacked on, or is completely different?

SomTervo

Without into spoilers, how dramatic is the difference between the two endings? Is the true ending just the ending with an extra little scene tacked on, or is completely different?

Wtf I didn't even know there was more than one ending. I consider this entire concept a spoiler. And makes me far less excited about the game's climax. Why dilute your story by tacking multiple endings on the end of a narratively linear series?

Edit: Oh, oh wait. The 'second ending' is just like a 'bonus ending' isn't it? It's not like an alternate ending where things conclude differently. It's just more info. Didn't Asylum have one of these, with Bane? Phew, I feel better now.

Hystzen

It not worth losing sleep over if you have not got time to 100% it pretty terrible in IMO

neoism

yeah holy shit the batmoblie is just meh.... they reallllllllllllllllllllllyyy should have let you toggle the shoulder button controls..and not have to hold them down... -_-its really cumbersome to have to hold done 3 fucking shoulder buttons....

thinking about switching the 1s with the 2s i really dislike the ps4 r2 and l2 buttons i feel like im going to break them if i use them to much....

SomTervo

yeah holy shit the batmoblie is just meh.... they reallllllllllllllllllllllyyy should have let you toggle the shoulder button controls..and not have to hold them down... -_-its really cumbersome to have to hold done 3 fucking shoulder buttons....

thinking about switching the 1s with the 2s i really dislike the ps4 r2 and l2 buttons i feel like im going to break them if i use them to much....

Dude there's a setting in the options menu.

You can swap it to a toggle so you just tap L2 once to put on Battle Mode.

I like it as a hold but the option's there, for god's sake.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm surprised I'm liking the Batmobile more than most here since I generally hate driving vehicles. I suck at the race stuff but using it as a tank and in conjunction with Batman's other gadgets as a puzzle/progression aid has added a lot of variety and lead to some clever design.

obin_gam

12 minutes for New 52 -skins
14 minutes for 1966/2166 -skins
20 minutes for Scarecrow Nightmares
32 minutes for Harley Quinn Story
90 minutes for Update file.

168 minutes after you have the game in your hand, you can play it.

GG Sony.

SHEF

Well I entered the first DLC code on PS4 which worked but the second is stuck on a loading bar for 10 minutes now. Should you leave it loading or can you back out of it and retry without messing it up?

Edit 1: No you can't back out, its stuck loading.

Edit 2: Can go back to dash then back to store to retry but just stuck on a loading bar yet again.

Edit 3: I can't even purchase those free skins just loads forever; giving up!

If the codes had worked yesterday I could have done it then and been playing the actual game today. Annoying.

If Arkham Knight is
basically Jason Todd/Red Hood with a different helmet on,
I really don't consider that to be a totally original character as Rocksteady have been claiming.
Honestly, within two minutes of hearing him I thought
"he does sound like that whiny cunt Jason". I hope this is a red herring but so far, it could totally be him.
He would be a new character to the Arkhamverse I guess.

SomTervo

I'm surprised I'm liking the Batmobile more than most here since I generally hate driving vehicles. I suck at the race stuff but using it as a tank and in conjunction with Batman's other gadgets as a puzzle/progression aid has added a lot of variety and lead to some clever design.

I feel the same.

I like the races/time trials when they're not the Riddlers daft ones with sliding walls and shit. The straight up street races are pretty badass.

And the general integration with the world and puzzles is great, really immersive and often emergent. Whenever I do get tired of the Batmobile I just stop using it and do some on-foot work.

Marc

3.6 GB day 1 patch?

Hot damn, how is this still going on? That is ridiculous, no one in the gaming media challenges this?

Anyone know if its worth waiting for, game breaking bugs or something?

Vitor711

Dude there's a setting in the options menu.

You can swap it to a toggle so you just tap L2 once to put on Battle Mode.

I like it as a hold but the option's there, for god's sake.

To be fair, the first thing I did after the batmobile combat tutorial was look in the settings for a toggle switch. I couldn't find it, either in the gamepad section or gameplay (on PC).

Top Bottom