• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Who the fuck that thinks shoehorning batmobile into the riddler challenge instead of traversal/environmental is a good idea should be fired. Same for the one who thinks using Square/X to brake.

SomTervo

3.6 GB day 1 patch?

Hot damn, how is this still going on? That is ridiculous, no one in the gaming media challenges this?

Anyone know if its worth waiting for, game breaking bugs or something?

This has been covered before, man.

The game discs and boxes will be sent to print up to 10 days before the game's release, and shipped out internationally. In the subsequent week while the discs are printing/delivering, the devs will still be working full days on the game to improve it as much as possible. Sometimes this results in 250MB of updates, sometimes it's a few GB. "Day 1 patches" are just a symptom of game development having far more digital support than ever before, to the extent that they can release improvements or fixes on the retail disc code in the time it takes for the discs to print and deliver.

You probably won't lose much from just playing straight away, but you never know.

To be fair, the first thing I did after the batmobile combat tutorial was look in the settings for a toggle switch. I couldn't find it, either in the gamepad section or gameplay (on PC).

Really? That's extra strange, because I think someone on PC mentioned you could change around the controls for Battle Mode to Square or something, and I definitely don't have that setting on PS4.

Maybe PC and consoles get quite different gameplay options screens? If I was at home I'd take a screenshot. I 100% have a Battle Mode toggle option.

kaskade

Today is going to be a long day of work. I really wish I could download the patch now so when I get home it just has to install the game itself.

SomTervo

Can't you just change the controls in the options menu?

We're discussing this above. Do you have the option to swap the trigger for Battle Mode with the face button for braking? If so, what platform are you on?

I'm on PS4 and I don't have this option. But I do have the option to change the Battle Mode trigger to a toggle rather than a hold.

Impulsor

Does the PS4 version have destructible enviroments? As in, you crash with the batmobile against stuff and it crumbles down with good physics?

There are just two endings right?

Without into spoilers, how dramatic is the difference between the two endings? Is the true ending just the ending with an extra little scene tacked on, or is completely different?

There's actually 3. It's all basically one ending, but it's split into 3 different parts. You need to 100% the game to see the entire ending.

Roussow

To be fair, the first thing I did after the batmobile combat tutorial was look in the settings for a toggle switch. I couldn't find it, either in the gamepad section or gameplay (on PC).

Haven't played the game yet -- but is it possible that the reason the "hold" control setting is default because as when in a batmobile combat scenarios you're encouraged to switch between forms and drive quickly around the arena then turn into tank-mode? and just hop into that mode to take pot shots?

So it seems that if you're like me and you just straight up buy AK from PSN today, without a preorder, you don't receive any of the exclusive Playstation content.

Ugh... Screwed over by a shit PC port and now I can't access the special PS4 content. Thank god the game is decent... still that's what I get for double dipping.

We're discussing this above. Do you have the option to swap the trigger for Battle Mode with the face button for braking? If so, what platform are you on?

I'm on PS4 and I don't have this option. But I do have the option to change the Battle Mode trigger to a toggle rather than a hold.

Hmmm, that's a strange omission if you can't change it.

SomTervo

Does the PS4 version have destructible enviroments? As in, you crash with the batmobile against stuff and it crumbles down with good physics?

Yes it does.

You can't destroy whole buildings, but every building's shop fronts and concrete will break off and crumble everywhere when you batter into it. Plus loads of non-building things, like shacks, street objects, fences etc, all break really satisfyingly.

Blasting cars and watching them fly is incredible, too. It's almost like Burnout: Takedown shit. Lots of moving parts, sparks and explosions, with slo-mo in perfect moments of action.

Impulsor

Yes it does.

You can't destroy whole buildings, but every building's shop fronts and concrete will break off and crumble everywhere when you batter into it. Plus loads of non-building things, like shacks, street objects, fences etc, all break really satisfyingly.

Blasting cars and watching them fly is incredible, too. It's almost like Burnout: Takedown shit. Lots of moving parts, sparks and explosions, with slo-mo in perfect moments of action.

Thanks. I happen to have a free nvidia PC code. Tried the game yesterday, ran like shit, so I think I'm gonna pick up my PS4 preorder.

If you take a look at the PC performance thread, you'll understand, lol.

Hey guys, I just got the game, and when I put it in my PS4 it announced a 9 hours long download of a day-1 patch.

My question : should I wait for the patch to download completely or should I start the game ? (there are not game breaking bugs right ?)

SomTervo

Haven't played the game yet -- but is it possible that the reason the "hold" control setting is default because as when in a batmobile combat scenarios you're encouraged to switch between forms and drive quickly around the arena then turn into tank-mode? and just hop into that mode to take pot shots?

I personally think this is the case for most of the game's battles. The Battle Mode button being a hold rather than the toggle was definitely a key design decision.

I prefer it as a hold option, because it means I can seamlessly move from one to the other very quickly and smoothly. It's especially useful in some boss-fight-like scenarios where you need to be able to evade certain attacks over long distances, which Battle Mode can't do. Just let go of the left trigger, slam down the right trigger, then swap to the left again once you're safe to begin shooting.

Hmmm, that's a strange omission if you can't change it.

I'll check again when I get home.

On PS4 we can use the Accessibility settings to re-bind the controls, swapping L2 for Square. But that does mean we'd have to use L2 for Punch and Square for aim when on-foot :p

:0 thanks lol i looked at options but i missed it thanks

Np!

Thanks. I happen to have a free nvidia PC code. Tried the game yesterday, ran like shit, so I think I'm gonna pick up my PS4 preorder.

If you take a look at the PC performance thread, you'll understand, lol.

Man, I had a look in there earlier. Devastating stuff.

Rocksteady didn't shoot themselves in the foot – they blew their fucking leg off with a 60mm canon.

On PS4 it's really, really great.

3.6 GB day 1 patch?

Hot damn, how is this still going on? That is ridiculous, no one in the gaming media challenges this?

Anyone know if its worth waiting for, game breaking bugs or something?

What is there to do, not release big patches and let games launch in messed up states? Due to deadlines on these big budget games, they are working till the last minute which included having to keep development going past the game going gold.

I had zero hype for this game despite my love and admiration for Asylum and City. I was in media blackout for that matter.

These last 9 hours have been very good for me. :)

Sojgat

SPOILER warning - This video contains gameplay of a combat challenge map. They are presented as
AR challenges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbqbuCwmAP0

962.gif

Someone, anyone here in GAF be so kind enough to share without spoiling when does Batman gets to wear the iron man like metal plated suit that he wears for the first time in the e3 2014 Sony presser. I just played the game for a couple of hours last night and the game is truly spectacular, omg.

After downloading it last night and being ready to launch around 9pm PST, I discovered I had to wait another 45 minutes for....something else to load, and by that time it was way past my bed time so I guess I get to experience the thrill today after work :(

Someone, anyone here in GAF be so kind enough to share without spoiling when does Batman gets to wear the iron man like metal plated suit that he wears for the first time in the e3 2014 Sony presser. I just played the game for a couple of hours last night and the game is truly spectacular, omg.

Any second now (for you).

Impulsor

Man, I had a look in there earlier. Devastating stuff.

Rocksteady didn't shoot themselves in the foot – they blew their fucking leg off with a 60mm canon.

On PS4 it's really, really great.

Truly. My PC is no slouch either, just built it, high end gaming rig with the new 980 ti. But yeah, I'm too hyped with this game and I want to play it without frustration. I don't mind that much about nvidia gameworks, physx and stuff, but I wanted to know if at least the destruction physics are there.

So thanks, once again, for the confirmation.

SomTervo

Truly. My PC is no slouch either, just built it, high end gaming rig with the new 980 ti. But yeah, I'm too hyped with this game and I want to play it without frustration. I don't mind that much about nvidia gameworks, physx and stuff, but I wanted to know if at least the destruction physics are there.

No probs. I think you'll lose detail like swishing, reactive rain and swishing, reactive smoke/steam. But those still look great even without high-end PC particle physics. The larger physics stuff, and most particle effects, are 100% in there.

Unfortunately, this is entirely why I play only on consoles these days. I used to be a PC gamer. But I didn't have brain space to worry about 'what if' a game doesn't work the way it should. PS4 has been great for me so far in this regard.

Impulsor

No probs. I think you'll lose detail like swishing, reactive rain and swishing, reactive smoke/steam. But those still look great even without high-end PC particle physics. The larger physics stuff, and most particle effects, are 100% in there.

Unfortunately, this is entirely why I play only on consoles these days. I used to be a PC gamer. But I didn't have brain space to worry about 'what if' a game doesn't work the way it should. PS4 has been great for me so far in this regard.

If by swishing you mean the cape movement or something, I think there is no cloth simulation physx this time.

There are four options for nvidia gameworks.

Interactive smoke/fog
Interactive paper debris
Enhanced rain
Enhanced light shafts

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Hey guys, I just got the game, and when I put it in my PS4 it announced a 9 hours long download of a day-1 patch.

My question : should I wait for the patch to download completely or should I start the game ? (there are not game breaking bugs right ?)
I played the first few hours without the patch, you'll be fine :). No problems

SomTervo

If by swishing you mean the cape movement or something, I think there is no cloth simulation physx this time.

There are four options for nvidia gameworks.

Interactive smoke/fog
Interactive paper debris
Enhanced rain
Enhanced light shafts

No no, I just meant the rain reacting to your movements (eg the water swishing about when you spin) and the smoke/fog also reacting to your movements. What you listed there sounds like the only things which are missing from the PS4 version. But the rain and smoke/fog still look great anyway!

Though I've noticed some pretty badass light shafts, so maybe that's still in there on PS4.

That is the thing though, your pc should be able to run those things without turning them off. This lack of care about PC releases is why I always shake my head at PC gamer elitists.

Impulsor

That is the thing though, your pc should be able to run those things without turning them off. This lack of care about PC releases is why I always shake my head at PC gamer elitists.

The real problem with the pc version is that EVEN if I turn them off, it runs like crap, you see, the problem is not the capability my machine has to run these nvidia gamework things.

Its that the game is very, very poorly optimized. So yeah, right now, turning those options off doesn't really make a difference for me since the problem isn't really my machine.

I can put the game on the lowest settings and it will still run like crap. It stutters to hell and back. I get FPS fluctuations from 100+ to 20, at an average of 60, specially when I ride the batmobile, the engine just craps itself.

When I use an app to see how much VRAM and CPU the game is taking up I can see that the game takes up 4gb+ of VRAM at max settings (my card has 6gb).

And that is after I had to purposely go and modify an .ini fil eon my computer to unlock the framerate, since it comes locked by default at 30fps, like on consoles.

So yeah, not a pleasant experience at all.

Kinda disappointed with how Batmobile focused this is so far, even though I should have expected it. What sense does it make though having the Riddler Trials be race-tracks?

Reule

Holy fuck, Batman! There is a lot of DLC for this game. I mean, I knew beforehand but when you see it all on the download list taking it's sweet time, you realize just how much there is.

Harley, Red Hood, Scarecrow, PS Exclusive Skins, New 52 Skins. Add on the gigantic update and I might be able to play in an hour and a half.

How's the XBOne version? Reading good stuff about PS4 but not seeing much about XBOne.

It Is very good. I am a sucker for performance and nothing has taken me out of the moment yet. I'm about 2-3 hours into it. Plays wonderfully. Easily the best looking game on the system and that's coming from a 130 hr play through in Wither 3.

The real problem with the pc version is that EVEN if I turn them off, it runs like crap, you see, the problem is not the capability my machine has to run these nvidia gamework things.

Its that the game is very, very poorly optimized. So yeah, right now, turning those options off doesn't really make a difference for me since the problem isn't really my machine.

I can put the game on the lowest settings and it will still run like crap. It stutters to hell and back. I get FPS fluctuations from 100+ to 20, at an average of 60, specially when I ride the batmobile, the engine just craps itself.

When I use an app to see how much VRAM and CPU the game is taking up I can see that the game takes up 4gb+ of VRAM at max settings (my card has 6gb).

And that is after I had to purposely go and modify an .ini fil eon my computer to unlock the framerate, since it comes locked by default at 30fps, like on consoles.

So yeah, not a pleasant experience at all.

I wasn't blaming your set up I am blaming the developers for the lack of optimization but this is always the case at release for most games so the PC games are better argument falls flat there which is a shame it really is and I want to play my PC more lol

an FYI the shareplay is region locked which annoys me no end. Wanted to show a friend the game as he was gonna get it but he couldn't try it as he is in a different country. Some real bullshit right there.

Impulsor

I wasn't blaming your set up I am blaming the developers for the lack of optimization but this is always the case at release for most games so the PC games are better argument falls flat there which is a shame it really is and I want to play my PC more lol

Oh I know you weren't, I was just pointing out that nvidia gameorks specifically are not the culprit of bad performance in general. The bad optimization itself is at fault.

In any case, I don't really think its fair to say lack of optimization is always the case for most games.

I take game like the witcher 3 as examples. That runs like a wonder on my rig and its lightyears from what I experienced on PS4. I think developers have no excuse to release a product on such a state.

Bad ports will still happen, but I don't really think its fair to say it happens with most games.

Top Bottom