• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Oh I know you weren't, I was just pointing out that nvidia gameorks specifically are not the culprit of bad performance in general. The bad optimization itself is at fault.

In any case, I don't really think its fair to say lack of optimization is always the case for most games.

I take game like the witcher 3 as examples. That runs like a wonder on my rig and its lightyears from what I experienced on PS4. I think developers have no excuse to release a product on such a state.

Bad ports will still happen, but I don't really think its fair to say it happens with most games.

Agreed

Anybody finding the Batmobile a little too skittish but, somehow super heavy at the same time?

It just kinda feels odd, even when driving around. Ill probably get used to get but these first few hours in the batmobile are kinda disappointing (I was one of the few actually looking forward to the batmobile).

I find that the First Person view is way better to drive with, ESPECIALLY the Riddler challenges. That first one was going to make me rage quit because the camera in third person was always screwing me. Once I discovered I could switch to first person, things were much smother.

How's the XBOne version? Reading good stuff about PS4 but not seeing much about XBOne.

BlimBlim did an Analysis of the XB1 version over on Gamersyde. Performance is very very good in all aspects except the Batmobile portions.

* - They analyze the the opening 2:30 minutes of the game, and it drops a single frame here and there, but still averaged 29.98 frames per second.

* - They analyze combat with over a dozen enemies on screen, and it is the same as above. Only drops a single frame here and there and averaged about 29.98 frames per second.

* - They analyze the cutscenes, same as above. Solid!

* - They analyze a Batmobile Portion, showing a chase mission where you are exclusively in the Batmobile. The lowest drop is to 23fps a couple of times, and the framerate fluctuates quite a bit. However, the biggest issue is the screen tearing. It is all over the place. They have a graph to show when it is happening, and it is occurring consistently throughout the video.

BlimBlim said:
This new version of my framerate analysis plugin adds the much needed tearing detection functionality, which was mandatory considering how tearing-happy the Batmobile sequences can be on Xbox One.

You can check it out for yourself here:

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_batman_ak_under_the_microscope-16779_en.html

only 3 hours in to the main story but there's way too many "i need my batmobile" moments and it's annoying.

Do you just want to primarily be on foot or? Since the city is evacuated mostly it makes sense that he'd be using the batmobile as much as possible. Also the fact that there are enemy tanks roaming around.

i think once i really get used to this games controls it will be better....

also holy shit was really surprised at the gamestop i when to over 50 people there... they had food as well.....

this game looks reallly good but man i wish the rain wasnt everywhere even though it looks amazing....
also the combat seems more flowy and its like shit happens on the screen and i dont feel like im pressing that much lol... reeeeaaallly wish origins never came out and this was the real 3rd release even though it is.... i got really fucking burnt buy that game even though it was pretty good it was sooo fucking glitchy on pc at launch.. had to stop the story for almost a month because of a game breaking bug....

really liking it soo far even though it just will take time to get the b mobel controls down pat....
I skipped Origins so I haven't played an Arkham game since 2012 so I can't wait to play Knight in about an hour or so.

RPGCrazied

Sometimes I wish you could download patches for a game when you are waiting for it to arrive. Should get mine today sometime, but doing nothing right now. Wish I could start downloading the patches now.

6 dlc codes fuck me thats heaps
one for each of these. Harly Quinn pack, scarecrow pack, PS4 exclusive skins, prototype batmobile, red hood, first appearance batman skin

neoism

I find that the First Person view is way better to drive with, ESPECIALLY the Riddler challenges. That first one was going to make me rage quit because the camera in third person was always screwing me. Once I discovered I could switch to first person, things were much smother.

the major problem with the bat moblie is rocksteady expects us to be masters at how it contorls out of the gate... when really its just gonna be trail and error for the most part.. lol i bet some of the later riddler missions will be fuckingHARD..:/ though....

Just picked up my copy. Man, that's a pretty big day one patch. Also, PSN is under maintenance today? I can't download any of the extra story stuff and skins.

Courage

Even though I prefer Arkham City over Asylum, I wish the next Batman game is scaled back. After playing so many open world games in succession, I'd like something a little more focused and linear. I understand it's part of the game's vision since it enables the use of the Batmobile, but it's something that's in the back of my head while I'm playing this.

neoism

I skipped Origins so I haven't played an Arkham game since 2012 so I can't wait to play Knight in about an hour or so.

well you are a smart person then lol... i was mad excited for origins then -_-....

it really did lower my hype for this even though rocksteady made it they are an amazing develpor waaaaay better than WB i
but its already a way better game than origins after only 3 hours with it....

kuYuri

I got the game and season pass on PC, do I not get the Harley Quinn DLC unlocked immediately or does it come up later in the story?

its annoying because it's dull

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ To each their own, seems like more people are complaining about not being able to control it properly rather than it being dull. It's pretty sweet to be able to divebomb off a building into the cockpit, or ram it through some baddies.

So I played through the Harley Quinn DLC last night.

It actually IS story DLC for those of you who were wondering, with voice acting and cutscenes (not long ones but they are there) and not just a few challenge maps.

However, its really really really short. I think I beat it in no more than 15-20minutes...which seems strange because Harley has her own moveset, her own way of traversing the environment and her own gadgets. Overall its fun while it last but its over before it even begins.

Kinda wondering if this is the template for future DLC on the season pass. I really hope they have more content than this.

SomTervo

only 3 hours in to the main story but there's way too many "i need my batmobile" moments and it's annoying.

I like it. Though it's far more enjoyable when you get blindsided by drones on-foot and you NEED the Batmobile, rather than the game literally saying 'You need the Batmobile'.

I find it's a general flaw in the game that in story missions Batman narrates almost everything he fucking does. Batman does not talk this much.

its annoying because it's dull

Yeah, to each their own. I love the Batmobile and can't wait to get back in it tonight.

This sounds like a really good tip. And going into Battle Mode still pushes it to third-person, so you get best of both worlds.

Is there an exp glitch?

After fighting groups of people i no longer get a rating on how many i fought, etc and my exp meter seems stuck for the last hour or so

I am still at the very beginning of the game.

PS4 version

Your XP should still be going up, but I think it only shows the breakdown when you're on missions. I've noticed it doesn't appear consistently either. Maybe you don't get XP from beating goons in the open world, so that you can't just farm it?

Braag

Okay so the batmobile sections aren't as bad as I thought. I still wish I didn't need to use the batmobile almost all the time.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Any impressions from people who loved Asylum but couldn't get into City?

I found Gotham in AC dull to look at and a pain to navigate, and it didn't feel as refined and well designed as AA did - they didn't really make use of the open world and instead just filled the gaps between the more interesting and well designed interior sections. I got bored and didn't finish the game, despite really wanting to love it.

Has the open world in AK significantly improved? Is it more interesting to explore? Is there a control configuration where you don't have to hold a face button to run?

I promised myself I wouldn't pick this up till I finished with The Witcher...I'm breaking promises to myself. Damn you Bats, damn you straight to hell.

I promised myself I wouldn't pick this up till I finished with The Witcher...I'm breaking promises to myself. Damn you Bats, damn you straight to hell.

Batman-Swear-To-Me.gif

Yeah the Batmobile driving stuff is really not all that great. It looks awesome, but actually maneuvering it sucks. Same with the one Riddler puzzle I did that was a Batmobile race, it made me not want to touch anything Riddler again.
I just three starred the race challenge that reuses that track, I have an intuition these race challenges are going to be bullshit.

Catdaddy

6 dlc codes fuck me thats heaps
one for each of these. Harly Quinn pack, scarecrow pack, PS4 exclusive skins, prototype batmobile, red hood, first appearance batman skin

Looks like the latest update to the PSN app (at least for Android) you can input or scan codes through the app.

SomTervo

Any impressions from people who loved Asylum but couldn't get into City?

I found Gotham in AC dull to look at and a pain to navigate, and it didn't feel as refined and well designed as AA did - they didn't really make use of the open world and instead just filled the gaps between the more interesting and well designed interior sections. I got bored and didn't finish the game, despite really wanting to love it.

Has the open world in AK significantly improved? Is it more interesting to explore? Is there a control configuration where you don't have to hold a face button to run?

I adore Asylum. Fully adore it. But City? While still a great game in its own way, I'm not a fan at all. Mainly I hate the open world and how they designed it. So superficial, like a turd painted in clown colours to look interesting.

But Arkham Knight goes the opposite direction. It is phenomenal. Beautiful open world city. Fascinating to explore. Very dynamic and feels very alive. The Batmobile is great to navigate in it. The puzzles aren't in your face and it doesn't feel like a place just designed to be a game.

Unfortunately no luck on the run-toggle, but the world looks so great and you feel like such a badass that walking around is totally sweet. I really disliked the perma-walk in City and Origins but in Knight it doesn't feel like an issue. This might be because your grapnel-boost can be upgraded to be like a fucking space rocket and the Batmobile makes street navigation super fast and super badass.

Angel_DvA

I had to get the PS4 version because the PC one is a mess but servers are shit on Sony side, 93h for downloading the entier game when I it takes 2h on PC, fuck it.

ban25

I'm currently
headed to the clock tower with Gordon
and I have to say, so far I'm really enjoying the Batmobile. It handles better than I imagined it would, and I like how it's been integrated into several of the puzzles. It really makes this 4th game feel fresh as opposed to the same old grapple/glide mechanics.

The city's scale is what's most impressive...from a high perch, it's almost dizzying!

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I adore Asylum. Fully adore it. But City? While still a great game in its own way, I'm not a fan at all. Mainly I hate the open world and how they designed it. So superficial, like a turd painted in clown colours to look interesting.

But Arkham Knight goes the opposite direction. It is phenomenal. Beautiful open world city. Fascinating to explore. Very dynamic and feels very alive. The Batmobile is great to navigate in it. The puzzles aren't in your face and it doesn't feel like a place just designed to be a game.

Unfortunately no luck on the run-toggle, but the world looks so great and you feel like such a badass that walking around is totally sweet. I really disliked the perma-walk in City and Origins but in Knight it doesn't feel like an issue. This might be because your grapnel-boost can be upgraded to be like a fucking space rocket and the Batmobile makes street navigation super fast and super badass.
That's really reassuring, thank you. Superficial really is the perfect word for AC's open world.

If I have room between the Witcher 3 and MGSV I'll pick this up then.

Majora

Guys, you're going to enjoy the game more if you just embrace the fact the Batmobile is the big headline new feature and it's a signifcant, wholly integrated part of the game. The ratio of on-foot to Batmobile is probably like 65-35 or so across the whole game.

If you spend all your time aching to spend as little time as possible in the Batmobile, you're really going to have an uphill battle enjoying this. I guess that's easy to say as someone who enjoys the Batmobile, but still. I mean, I thought the first Riddler race was a blast. Challenging but fun, whereas everyone seems to be bitching about it.

Without the Batmobile this would just be another Arkham game. The gameplay loops without the Batmobile would be very familiar indeed, good as the general gameplay is.

Does anyone know how to lower the bridge to Ryker's Island? Is it part of a story mission, or am I missing a switch or something? I'm trying to get the batmobile in there.

ColEx

Kinda curious with the scale of the content in the season pass, seeing as its almost priced the same as the full game. For me it costs more then what i paid for the full game on PS4... lol.

So they must be planning on releasing a lot of content with this season pass, at least i hope they are.

hbkdx12

I played an hr or two this morning and overall i like it. There's a few things of note thus far that stick out:

The batmobile is slippery as all hell. For a vehicle of it's size it seems like it should have a bit more traction. I understand and like how slippery it is in battle mode as it gives you more precision in but in pursuit mode it just feels a bit awkward but i don't think it's anything that above getting used to.

I wish there was some lock on when shooting in battle mode (might be an upgrade down the line maybe?) the slipperiness of the movement has me missing more shoots than i land but again it's probably nothing that i can't get used to.

I understand that the cars and car chases are suppose to be lil ambient things and i think it's cool but most of the time when i see them, i'm on foot or in the air gliding and by time i call the batmobile to follow the car/chase, a lot of time i'm on the verge of losing them due to corners and stuff (there aren't a lot of straight aways in gotham) Is there a way to tag cars that I'm overlooking?

Also, i think it was the IGN review that said you can remap the batmobile controls so that L2/LT will act as brake like most games but i didn't see anything about changing it. Is that a thing?

Not sure how i feel about you basically having to just stumble across side activities rather than just being directed to it.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE how far out you can grapple things now. It was one of the things that i wanted to be a bit different in AC and i'm glad they increased the range.

I also love how they've basically made the batmobile feel like an extension of batman. Calling in the batmobile while in the air, launching out of it into a glide, remote controlling it, combat assist...it all feels amazing.

Fear takedowns are nice. Makes you wonder how this wasn't iterated into the series sooner. I'm also hoping that you can upgrade it so that you can take down more than just 3 guys

nOoblet16

So does it always rain in this game ? Lol
The entire game is covered in shiny specular maps and animated nirmal maps for rain due to this. Indoors a tually look very similar to Origins actually (obviously better but still quite similar)

BashNasty

Yea, not quite sure where all the batmobile hate is coming from. It's a great addition. The tank combat is a lot of fun as you always know if you're gonna get hit or not, there's no trial and error and that makes the gameplay a fun dance. I find myself looking forward to the tank fights.

Beyond the tank combat, the driving feels smooth, the way you can launch Batman from the cockpit feels great, and I've already seen some interesting puzzle applications for Batman's new ride.

I love the batmobile.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Guys, you're going to enjoy the game more if you just embrace the fact the Batmobile is the big headline new feature and it's a signifcant, wholly integrated part of the game. The ratio of on-foot to Batmobile is probably like 65-35 or so across the whole game.

If you spend all your time aching to spend as little time as possible in the Batmobile, you're really going to have an uphill battle enjoying this. I guess that's easy to say as someone who enjoys the Batmobile, but still. I mean, I thought the first Riddler race was a blast. Challenging but fun, whereas everyone seems to be bitching about it.

Without the Batmobile this would just be another Arkham game. The gameplay loops without the Batmobile would be very familiar indeed, good as the general gameplay is.

Ugh, if that's true then I might have to wait for this one. I really love the batman games (minus that Origins turd), but from what I've seen of the bat mobile sections and from the Giantbomb quick look, it's looks tremendously boring. I'd love to have some batman right now, but I'm all about the combat and traversal and the idea of having to be stuck in a bat mobile doing bat mobile things sounds incredibly boring.

I'll think about a purchase today and read some more opinions. I've got an open reserve at GameStop so at least I have a day or two to go and pick it up.

SomTervo

That's really reassuring, thank you. Superficial really is the perfect word for AC's open world.

If I have room between the Witcher 3 and MGSV I'll pick this up then.

Yeah, I've still probably got 30-50 hours left of TW3, but I was more stoked for Batman, so I went for it, too. Now I've got both to tide me over to MGSV, which is the real meat of the year for me. Both BMan and TW3 compliment each other quite nicely – when you fancy really good gameplay and a nice story, Batman is the way. But when you fancy really good story with nice gameplay, The Witcher 3 is the way. They each perfectly complement the other.

It's a good time + place to be alive.

Also,
"Principle Vagina. No relation."

Kaizer

Banned
Damn, this update file is gonna take 10 hours to download and I haven't even started downloading all the bonus DLC yet, guess I won't be playing this until tomorrow. : (

Top Bottom