• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Played it for about three hours after getting it from Best Buy last night. The store only had maybe seven people getting it and they were already shutting down at 12:15 for lack of turnout.

Really fun so far. I cackled like a maniac dive bombing for the first time and pulling up. Everything looks or feels amazing. Controls are very responsive.

Definitely weird using the batmobile for the first time. Took a few restarts to get used to the controls. So used to other games mapping the brake to L2 it was difficult to remember it's square in this game.

Naar

I like it. Though it's far more enjoyable when you get blindsided by drones on-foot and you NEED the Batmobile, rather than the game literally saying 'You need the Batmobile'.

I find it's a general flaw in the game that in story missions Batman narrates almost everything he fucking does. Batman does not talk this much.

Yeah, to each their own. I love the Batmobile and can't wait to get back in it tonight.

This sounds like a really good tip. And going into Battle Mode still pushes it to third-person, so you get best of both worlds.

Your XP should still be going up, but I think it only shows the breakdown when you're on missions. I've noticed it doesn't appear consistently either. Maybe you don't get XP from beating goons in the open world, so that you can't just farm it?

Yea i just played a bit more and finished a mission and got some exp. I guess the breakdown is only for missions?

I remember in the previous games you get a breakdown after fighting a group

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Played it for about three hours after getting it from Best Buy last night. The store only had maybe seven people getting it and they were already shutting down at 12:15 for lack of turnout.

Really fun so far. I cackled like a maniac dive bombing for the first time and pulling up. Everything looks or feels amazing. Controls are very responsive.

Definitely weird using the batmobile for the first time. Took a few restarts to get used to the controls. So used to other games mapping the brake to L2 it was difficult to remember it's square in this game.
Can't you remap the buttons on the PS4's system settings?

I got it at Best Buy last night too! Did you get a T-Shirt? They gave out Arkham Knight T-Shirts to the first 10 people, you had your choice of T-Shirt or a poster. They even gave us those controller skins they are selling for $11.99. I think they messed up on that, the guy said "You get one of these for preordering" but I never saw that deal advertised at all.

Alright, slept for a few hours, it's time to run straight through the rest of the game...

But I amped up my goal.

Originally, I was going to complete the story on PS4 in one long session, since I slept however, now I'm going to finish it (I'm halfway through) then, get halfway through a 100% completion playthrough on Xbox One.

I have the entire day off, time to make use of it.

Majora

Toggle battle mode in the options. It puts brake on L2 and toggle on R1.

Seriously, this shit needs to be in the thread title or something :p

Can't you remap the buttons on the PS4's system settings?

I know you can but I've never tried it before. The layout does make sense after a while. I'm afraid if I changed the settings it would mess up the on foot controls.

I got it at Best Buy last night too! Did you get a T-Shirt? They gave out Arkham Knight T-Shirts to the first 10 people, you had your choice of T-Shirt or a poster. They even gave us those controller skins they are selling for $11.99. I think they messed up on that, the guy said "You get one of these for preordering" but I never saw that deal advertised at all.

No shirt for me but all the employees were wearing them. Yeah I got the controller skin too. I looked at the weekly ad and they were free with every AK purchase.

Ooh... I'm gonna try that. Thanks for sharing.

MMaRsu

Alright, slept for a few hours, it's time to run straight through the rest of the game...

But I amped up my goal.

Originally, I was going to complete the story on PS4 in one long session, since I slept however, now I'm going to finish it (I'm halfway through) then, get halfway through a 100% completion playthrough on Xbox One.

I have the entire day off, time to make use of it.

Not sure why youd wanna burn through the game that fast :/.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Just picked it up & waiting for the update to download. Why is my PS4 the most poorly-performing (in terms of internet speed) device in my home? Why not the iPad? Why, Sony, why?

WHY

so excited

Skyzard

Banned
Everytime driving controls come up in a non-racing game, you get random complaints about the driving.

Anyone adapted well to it? Its movement looked really fun and interesting from the trailers...Are you lot being noobs about the batmobile?

Still waiting on a gpu :'(

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Are there any trophies for difficulty? I didn't see one, thought I might have missed it.

If not, how is HARD this time around. Punch sponge nonsense of last game was just a bit tedious.

obin_gam

The lack of tutorial in this game is really fucking annoying.

Also - how do I accept to do "AR challenge"? I am at the "combo master" challenge right in the beginning but I cant do anything with it.

SomTervo

Guys, you're going to enjoy the game more if you just embrace the fact the Batmobile is the big headline new feature and it's a signifcant, wholly integrated part of the game. The ratio of on-foot to Batmobile is probably like 65-35 or so across the whole game.

If you spend all your time aching to spend as little time as possible in the Batmobile, you're really going to have an uphill battle enjoying this. I guess that's easy to say as someone who enjoys the Batmobile, but still. I mean, I thought the first Riddler race was a blast. Challenging but fun, whereas everyone seems to be bitching about it.

Without the Batmobile this would just be another Arkham game. The gameplay loops without the Batmobile would be very familiar indeed, good as the general gameplay is.

I don't think this is true at all. Most of the side missions are on-foot only. So if you're aching to do stuff on-foot just go do some side missions.

In a lot of the story missions you're going up against Arkham Knight's fucking army of super-hi-tech gear, so it's no wonder Bats needs to use his firepower a lot.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
They seem to be installed on the PS4, but it doesn't look like I can access them in game.
You access them from the main menu. Harley Quinn's stuff is available under "Arkham Stories" and the Scarecrow stuff is under "AR Missions" once it's installed

The God

You access them from the main menu. Harley Quinn's stuff is available under "Arkham Stories" and the Scarecrow stuff is under "AR Missions" once it's installed

Thanks, I was looking under "Downloadable Content". What about the skins?

edit: found them

Vaga

Anyone adapted well to it?

Yeah it takes a while to get accustomed to the handling but once you do, oh man it's so fucking fun.

I love the fluidity of diving off a building straight into it. Also a nice touch that you can use its guns remotely while fighting goons on foot near the car.

highrider

Banned
I adore Asylum. Fully adore it. But City? While still a great game in its own way, I'm not a fan at all. Mainly I hate the open world and how they designed it. So superficial, like a turd painted in clown colours to look interesting.

But Arkham Knight goes the opposite direction. It is phenomenal. Beautiful open world city. Fascinating to explore. Very dynamic and feels very alive. The Batmobile is great to navigate in it. The puzzles aren't in your face and it doesn't feel like a place just designed to be a game.

Unfortunately no luck on the run-toggle, but the world looks so great and you feel like such a badass that walking around is totally sweet. I really disliked the perma-walk in City and Origins but in Knight it doesn't feel like an issue. This might be because your grapnel-boost can be upgraded to be like a fucking space rocket and the Batmobile makes street navigation super fast and super badass.

Really appreciate this post. I hated city for the very reasons you mentioned. This encourages me to check this out as I loved Asylum.

TheRed

I like driving the batmobille, I adapt to controls pretty fast. I do make a point to fly around the city every once in a while because the batmobile is used a lot.

Love this game. Only gripe I have is the VR training missions can be a pain in the butt. LOL I can see me screwing up in Forza Horizon 2 after driving the bat mobile in this game.

Game looks awesome and runs great on the Xbox one, controls can be a bit confusion and cumbersome. But the game is f'n awesome.

MMaRsu

Seems like the PC version was outsourced to Iron Galaxy Studios by seeing the credits listed as "Additional Engineering and PC Support"

ggB39CN.png

Ya, we already knew.

void666

Banned
I like the batmobile. I like driving around at full speed. But i don't like the tank mode. Tank drones look like toys. Tank battles feel too gamey if that makes sense.

SeanR1221

Got to play for a very short period on my lunch break. I'll dive in more tonight.

What do you press to counter a guy charging at you? The text was so small I couldn't tell if it was L2 or R2

jediyoshi

It might make sense early on, but eventually you're probably going to prefer being able to slip in and out of it quickly.

Got to play for a very short period on my lunch break. I'll dive in more tonight.

What do you press to counter a guy charging at you? The text was so small I couldn't tell if it was L2 or R2

L2

The lack of tutorial in this game is really fucking annoying.

Also - how do I accept to do "AR challenge"? I am at the "combo master" challenge right in the beginning but I cant do anything with it.

You have to unlock each one by doing various feats in the world. Should say what you have to do to unlock it in the description somewhere

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah it takes a while to get accustomed to the handling but once you do, oh man it's so fucking fun.

I love the fluidity of diving off a building straight into it. Also a nice touch that you can use its guns remotely while fighting goons on foot near the car.

Awesome, was hoping that was the case. Might just take people a little while to adjust to.

I like the batmobile. I like driving around at full speed. But i don't like the tank mode. Tank drones look like toys. Tank battles feel too gamey if that makes sense.

I was worried about that from the trailer...didn't look like a challenge at all.

Really needs to be a separate section on Steam for Technical and Game Reviews.

I'd like that idea.

Although it's hard to have sympathy if all those paying customers are that upset day 1.

Top Bottom