• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Imo Origin's was the only Arkham game that could sometimes look different. All other games, including this one have a very similar look heavyily use blue and green colours a lot.

He's asking if there's any environmental variety. The second and third islands look very different. But I do agree that the game itself does look very samey in terms of it's colour palette.

nOoblet16

He's asking if there's any environmental variety. The second and third islands look very different. But I do agree that the game itself does look very samey in terms of it's colour palette.

Yea I know but he also asked something about everything having the same look...so that can be taken as a different thing as well.
It's Gotham city, can't rally expect much apart from museums, hospitals, factories and warehouses.

SeroTyler

First one to talk gets to stay on the aircraft!
So is the Scarecrow and Red Hood stuff supposed to be in the menu with the Harley Quinn pack? Because all I see is the Harley one.

how do you know you have the DLC downloaded? on PS4

For the DLC if you check your notifications there's a download menu and it will tell you which ones are installed. Or if you select the game in the main menu, arrow down into like related items or something and "My Add-Ons" will be there if you click that it will give you a list of what you have and whether they are downloaded or not.

0racle

Hey guys

as someone who is entering the series essentially for the first time ( played the first one for a few hours....)

I gotta say this game is remarkable. and I love the bat mobile/tank. The game seems to split itself in 3 due to these elements but its a good thing. They all handle IMO remarkably well, look amazing and have awesome sounds. It breaks up the game play and prevents one element from becoming monotonous over the course of the campaign.

I have a few questions

- are there missable trophies?
- can I platinum in one play through?
- how long is the main campaign? platinum? thanks

Peff

How do I track sidequests? There are no icons on my map other than the main story mission and AR training. Cycling the filter on the map shows nothing.

You can't! You are supposed to figure stuff out using music and other cues by yourself.

Which is a weird choice next to the gaming 2.0 stuff of getting rewarded for every little bit of progress but hey.

Okay, I'm officially 56% finished with the main story, just completed the
Two-Face and Riddler/Catwoman side missions
and haven't done any other side stuff so far.

Here's some overall impressions so far for those on the fence...

+ PS4 version looks and runs like a dream, no visible tearing and the art style is gorgeous. 1080p presentation is a little marred by the film grain-ish filter but you ignore it after a while. Easily the best looking game on this generation of consoles so far, especially considering it's excellent performance

+ Main story is insanely dark and twisty. This could be a positive or negative depending on who you are but certain things that have happened just so far in the story had my jaw dropped. No spoilers, but trust me, you will feel the stakes rising

+ Best combat in the series. It's more brutal, aggressive, and fast.

+ Sound design is astounding. The Batmobile roar is awesome and the punches, kicks, and gunfire all sound epic and punchy.

+ Voice acting is the best in the series

+ Batmobile is fun is Pursuit mode...

- ... And a slog in Battle Mode. It's not that it's bad, it's just that power-winching your way through puzzles and hitting easy Tank enemies in the same spot all the time isn't too exciting after a while

- SPOILER:
I love the Joker. I love Hamill. I think this whole "frequent halluncination" thing is a weak copout to put him in the game as much as possible.

- MASSIVE TWIST SPOILER (Not Arkham Knight Related):
Did Barbara really have to die? I understand the gravity it gave the story and the sense of "I need to take them the fuck down now!" but she's such a nice, innocent character. Seeing Robin and Jim's reactions are going to shatter my heart, I just know it.

- I feel like the Arkham Knight reveal is going to be underwhelming and I have a prediction in my head but we'll see how it pans out...

- Riddler Race Tracks are awful. Sorry. They're awful.

Overall though, I am in total fucking love here. My gripes might sound major, but they really aren't, at least to me. This is THE Batman game I always wanted. This game is basically my childhood, running around pretending I was Batman in my backyard, except now I get to do all of that cool shit in a game.

This is my favorite in the series easily and I can't wait to see where the story goes and how it concludes.

Holy shit, the dude talking smack in the cell after I broke his wrist..you can reach through the bars and fuck him up.

Yes! I loved that he did just what I wanted him to do, really nice subtle touch.

Also loving the game in general. I'm having tons of fun with the batmobile, launching out and into people, soooo much fun.

Holy fuck, the Batmobile is hard to get used to controlling.

Keep popping Tank mode when I want to break due to being used to L2 being the damn breaking trigger.

Ity made the first Riddler Race damn fucking hard, lol

How do I track sidequests? There are no icons on my map other than the main story mission and AR training. Cycling the filter on the map shows nothing.

You have to use visual/audio cues in the environment to continue certain side-quests, which is an approach I really like. Press right in the d-pad, choose a side-quest, and it will tell you what you need to look out for.

Keep popping Tank mode when I want to break due to being used to L2 being the damn breaking trigger.

You can change the battle mode to toggle in the Game Options menu, then L2 goes to being brake/reverse.

Fliesen

Oracledudes!

there's this one
Riddler
trophy i'm missing on the first segment of the map. There's this weird
Riddler Hook
that i can't grapple onto, shoot or something.

I believe i'll have to wait until i got some
"grappling hook"
for my batmobile, yes?

also, i wasted like 20 minutes already on the Challenge where you basically need to kill 20 drone tanks without getting your combo broken. I get sidetracked soooo easily.
3% completion after 3 hours of playing.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You have to use visual/audio cues in the environment to continue certain side-quests, which is an approach I really like. Press right in the d-pad, choose a side-quest, and it will tell you what you need to look out for.

It does? Because I don't get this either. I did that first "save the firefighters" thing, and now I have no idea where the next one is. There's no marker, and when I select it Batman just says something like "I need to save them". So, uh?

neoism

Holy shit, that was awesome!!

CINPmXGWIAA8Nbj.jpg:large

lolol DAMN i played 8 hours and only got to 11%

nOoblet16

Change the control scheme from options menu. It manes R1 the default button for Tank mode and it's a toggle, and it makes L2 the reverse option.

It's bafflingg that they thought holding L2 for Tank mode is a good idea (especially when there are only two options available) when you spend so much of the time in that mode.

Another thing I do not understand is why have Brake and Reverse tied to one button in one control scheme (Square) but have L2 tied to Reverse and square to Brake in another.

It does? Because I don't get this either. I did that first "save the firefighters" thing, and now I have no idea where the next one is. There's no marker, and when I select it Batman just says something like "I need to save them". So, uh?

Listen out for thug chatter as you're gliding around. You'll hear a group of them threatening to kill someone every now and again, those are the firefighter rescue quests.

And just some advice, don't threat so much about quest markers and needing to get to the next objective right away. Take your time, watch and listen for the cues the game gives you. It's a much more natural and enjoyable experience this way imo. And I applaud Rocksteady for designing the world/quests this way, more devs need to follow suit.

Slayven

For the DLC if you check your notifications there's a download menu and it will tell you which ones are installed. Or if you select the game in the main menu, arrow down into like related items or something and "My Add-Ons" will be there if you click that it will give you a list of what you have and whether they are downloaded or not.

Thanks, that was what I was looking for. The psn website didn't show shit

Blader

Picked this up (and my PS4!) this morning. Only put an hour into it so far but I like it. I'm a little rusty (last time with the series was beating Arkham City in Jan. '13), and the Batmobile is a little hard to control at first, but I'm getting the hang of it. But overall liking it so far.

There's a tutorial part that you've got to complete for rockets then, as I remember doing it

I've done that and it still wasn't working. I think I'll just leave it until later.

Also, does anyone know if you now don't get XP from random street battles? Nothing is coming up after I finish the battles like it does within missions.

komplanen

Oracledudes!

there's this one
Riddler
trophy i'm missing on the first segment of the map. There's this weird
Riddler Hook
that i can't grapple onto, shoot or something.

I believe i'll have to wait until i got some
"grappling hook"
for my batmobile, yes?

Yes. You'll get it real soon.

Vire

The game doesn't teach you this, or I missed it - but you can take out the tanks in one hit if you aim for the purple light on them. You can also juke in a certain direction with the X button.

It made the battle mode a lot more fun once I understood this heh...

First person mode also makes the Riddler challenges much easier! I got 38 seconds on the first race track after I switched.

Namikaze1

Side story spoiler
For those who have gotten far, I just have a question regarding a side story:
how do you get the blood sample for analysis?

You can change the battle mode to toggle in the Game Options menu, then L2 goes to being brake/reverse.

Change the control scheme from options menu. It manes R1 the default button for Tank mode and it's a toggle, and it makes L2 the reverse option.

It's bafflingg that they thought holding L2 for Tank mode is a good idea (especially when there are only two options available) when you spend so much of the time in that mode.

Another thing I do not understand is why have Brake and Reverse tied to one button in one control scheme (Square) but have L2 tied to Reverse and square to Brake in another.

Ah thank you!

Will do that now!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Huh, I played the Harley segment before the main story. Is it me or did that seem a lot more rough graphic wise (jaggies etc.)? (Xbox One)

Does the Harley thing happen before the story if you have it installed? I started playing before downloading it. Or is it something you select from a menu?

What about the PS4 Scarecrow missions? Are they part of the game, or just an extra thing in the menu?

Jesus christ lol. That's to the point where it seems almost unhealthy to me.

Btw, I got the game last Thursday. Though, yeah...I did play ALOT!

My vacation days re-up the end of this month, so I took a Bat-cation. lol. I can't remember the last game I did this with. I just want to play more. I had a couple minor problems with the story, but I still love it! Definitely my favorite in the series.

Ok the
'Flight School'
Riddler challenge is fucking evil. I give up.

Be sure to have max grapple boost.

SJRB

Gold Member
Holy crap that intro was amazing. I had the biggest smile when
the camera pans over the city and the Bat signal showed up.
. So good.

Loving the game so far, what little I've played at least [go fuck yourself, PSN. 4 hours for a 3 gb download is some serious bullshit].

You really get the sense that some serious shit is going down. I also love the intercom stuff, Scarecrow has a god-tier voice actor.

TheFatMan

These "just look around and you'll find the next objective" quests are annoying as shit. While running around in a huge area just hoping you stumble upon a quest objective might be fun to some, I get the feeling it's going to be super obnoxious to most.

Been running around for an hour now on listening for opera music and haven't heard shit. Very disappointing.

Top Bottom