• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I am so sad that TDKR is a pre-order exclusive and there is no 70s (Aparo) skin this time around. Those were my two go to skins for AC.

None of the current skins interest me at all and I really don't like Batman's suit in AC or AK.... bah...

Adam West is clever and hilarious, but I don't think I could play the entire game like that.. though if they dubbed all lines WITH Adam West I don't think I could NOT play the entire game like that.

Anung

Un Rama
Enjoying this a whole bunch. Graphically it s really nice and so far totally seamless. I like the batmobile but it feels a little too loose. The tank segments are okay in small chunks but so far they've been throwing way too much of that at you. My biggest complaint so far is that Gotham still doesn't feel like a city. And not just because people aren't there. the 3 island thing is just weird and makes it feel too segmented like Arkham City. Oh and a lot of the times its raining in doors :lol: silly bug.

John Noble as Scarecrow has been fantastic so far.

ta155

Is the update important? For whatever reason it's taking a fucking age to download on my PS4, whereas the Harley/Red Hood/Scarecrow/Costumes stuff was all done within 15 minutes.

I just wanna plaaaay! Holy anticlimax after looking forward to it all day at work, Batman!

nOoblet16

I simply do not like going in the Batmobile because of tanks, considering how even after avoiding the fights the game puts you in a lot of tank battles frequently that can end up boring you.

It's fun...but constantly having mandatory tank fight against 7-8 tanks and then relying on Batmobile for mission mechanics as well....is a but too much Batmobile for me.

Apeopleman

I did, but it won't be here until tomorrow. I can post back once I get it

I didn't get that edition, but the graphic novel is one of my favorite. I'd rank it in the same league as Under The Red Hood, Hush, Year One, The Long Halloween, and The Killing Joke. It was the main source of inspiration for the first Arkham game.

Thanks guys.

I just bought it today; I didn't want to wait for it to be shipped.

Hopefully it pops up on ebay for about $10

stufte

Is the update important? For whatever reason it's taking a fucking age to download on my PS4, whereas the Harley/Red Hood/Scarecrow/Costumes stuff was all done within 15 minutes.

I just wanna plaaaay! Holy anticlimax after looking forward to it all day at work, Batman!

I played it while it downloaded. Stopped playing about an hour into it to let the patch install. Didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary.

jrcbandit

Go into options and Toggle Battle Mode. This makes it so that L2 is for braking, R2 for accelerating, and R1 Toggles between pursuit mode and battle mode. Feels a lot better IMO
Thanks for this info. I hated the current braking method and holding the trigger for battle mode.

Scoot2005

Banned
So I made it to the GCPD lockup and when I make it to the door... It says please wait for game content to install. WTF IS THIS SHIT.

Edit - Yes the update is installed.

Ferrio

Banned
So I made it to the GCPD lockup and when I make it to the door... It says please wait for game content to install. WTF IS THIS SHIT.

I'm starting to think "play before you download" option should not be used anymore, it confuses the shit outta people some reason.

I am so sad that TDKR is a pre-order exclusive and there is no 70s (Aparo) skin this time around. Those were my two go to skins for AC.

None of the current skins interest me at all and I really don't like Batman's suit in AC or AK.... bah...

Adam West is clever and hilarious, but I don't think I could play the entire game like that.. though if they dubbed all lines WITH Adam West I don't think I could NOT play the entire game like that.

If there was an option to turn on full Adam West voice acting, i would new game+ the shit out of that.

Scoot2005

Banned
The game is installing in the background.

I know that. It's just that's it's the slowest install I have ever seen. It's been installing since noon.

Yeah PS4.

I'm starting to think "play before you download" option should not be used anymore, it confuses the shit outta people some reason.

It's not confusing me. I know what it's doing. It just seems like it's taking way too long. I have never had this issue before. It's officially been installing for 2 and a 1/2 hours and I've only played like 20 minutes of the game.

Damn it, AK copies haven't even arrived to Chile yet. Most likely we'll have it on thursday.

Wish I wouldn't care about having it physical.

Save myself a trip to the store. It's nice coming home to have the game already there waiting for you and I usually get release day shipping on pre-orders from them.

Yeah I learned a while ago that if I wanted something on day of release to just go to the store myself. It's not like it will be sold out.

Tsukumo

The new combat system is taking me a lot of time to get used to. I spent so much time on the previous games that I constantly get confused by the new animations, especially by the new explosive gel and the new quickfire batarang: the evasive manoeuvre after the batarang throw is very unpredictable.
I'm also not a fan of the "weight" of the animations: Arkham City's Batman moved and fought heavy, here his animations remind a lot of the new Amazing Spiderman games by Beenox.
For the same reasons (nostalgia and habit) I pretty much fucked up every single predator sequence because of the new gadget wheel, as I keep going for the directional pad, and because of the modification to the slide. The sliding here activates, like, one second after the button press and now you cant slide into wall grates anymore.
Outside of this, everything is fantastic. So many new combat moves, memorable sound effects, great lines, top-notch performance by the actors cast, improved predator system is perfect, dozens of enemies, exciting tank combat, over the top dual play and the "usual" attention to detail Rocksteady offers.
The gamespot reviewer is going to get ridiculed for years to come.
Saddens me that even as great as it is, there's no way this game is going to stand any chance for GOTY against Witcher and Fallout. They should have released it last year.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Going to just trade in like $50 worth of games to gamestop today. At least if I'm disappointed with it I won't have paid in full.

kaskade

Are you able to use different costumes during the first playthrough? I feel like before you'd have to do a new game plus to use them with the story.

Unfortunately it is connected through hardwire ethernet. It sped up some when I paused and resumed it, but it's still pretty slow.

Blegh, I guess this is what I get for procrastinating.

I paused download, performed the "Check Connection" test in network options, then resumed download. That gave it a serious boost.

Just follow the storyline for a sec. You're still in "tutorial" stage of the game.

It's an upgrade, you get it from one of the first training missions via story. On the rooftop of the building where you save the cop. The batmobile isn't as bad as I heard in reviews, it's pretty easy to control with the drift and not holding R2 down as hard as you can the entire time. There's also the option of going into battle mode real quick to slow yourself down and pivot.

Aw thank you both for the replies.I just can't wait to get back into the game tonight.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Kevin Van Ord is going to get ridiculed for years to come because he has a different opinion about a batman video game then you?

Were you dropped on your head as a child? What in the actual fuck.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The new combat system is taking me a lot of time to get used to. I spent so much time on the previous games that I constantly get confused by the new animations, especially by the new explosive gel and the new quickfire batarang: the evasive manoeuvre after the batarang throw is very unpredictable.
I'm also not a fan of the "weight" of the animations: Arkham City's Batman moved and fought heavy, here his animations remind a lot of the new Amazing Spiderman games by Beenox.
For the same reasons (nostalgia and habit) I pretty much fucked up every single predator sequence because of the new gadget wheel, as I keep going for the directional pad, and because of the modification to the slide. The sliding here activates, like, one second after the button press and now you cant slide into wall grates anymore.
Outside of this, everything is fantastic. So many new combat moves, memorable sound effects, great lines, top-notch performance by the actors cast, improved predator system is perfect, dozens of enemies, exciting tank combat, over the top dual play and the "usual" attention to detail Rocksteady offers.
Saddens me that even as great as it is, there's no way this game is going to stand any chance for GOTY against Witcher and Fallout. They should have released it last year.

I've finished the other three entries and I'm taking my time. I know I could rush it, but I don't feel like doing that. You can't count your mishaps and failed attempts. It just takes a little time.

Ferrio

Banned
Okay is there some fancy way to push buttons if you're still in the car? I refuse to believe that batman with all his money and tech has to get the fuck outta his car to push an elevator button.

Spoilery question for those of you who have played through the Ace Chemical section.

When Batman is loading the antidote canisters, the AI voice indicates the blast radius being reduced by 25, 50%, etc...But I swear after the 3rd canister she said the blast radius INCREASED by 1000% Did I mishear something? I watched the ensuing cutscene but had to quit playing at that point.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Okay is there some fancy way to push buttons if you're still in the car? I refuse to believe that batman with all his money and tech has to get the fuck outta his car to push an elevator button.

You have to think that through a little. He has a lot of ground to cover on foot and in his car. The elevator doesn't go all the way up.

Scoot2005

Banned
Well. I think I'm just going to turn this off for the day and let it install. Slowest install I've ever encountered. From what little I have played though I'm really going to enjoy this. The city is beautiful and the character animation is stunning.

Ferrio

Banned
You have to think that through a little. He has a lot of ground to cover on foot and in his car. The elevator doesn't go all the way up.

What? Not sure we're talking about the same thing. There was a small elevator, it was in the up position.I had to get outta my damn car jump up onto the curb push the big red button and get back into the car. Pull my car up onto the elevator, get back out, push the button again and get back into the car. I'm Batman, this shit is beneath me.

Scoot2005

Banned
What? Not sure we're talking about the same thing. There was a small elevator, it was in the up position.I had to get outta my damn car jump up onto the curb push the big red button and get back into the car. Pull my car up onto the elevator, get back out, push the button again and get back into the car. I'm Batman, this shit is beneath me.

For real. Just crack the window and hit it with a batarang or something.

Docpan

Wheres the tutorials?

It almost slipped my mind that the Ark City unlockable booster grapple that sends you flying through the air faster by hitting X twice is right here from the start.

Its been about 3 or 4 years since playing that game. How do they expect me to remember that shit?

Cider X

Xbox One version seems to have frame pacing issues during intense bat mobile sequences. I usually don't mind frame rate dips but I'm getting a headache from playing this. I think it's the frame pacing combined with the crazy amount of stuff on the screen...

Ferrio

Banned
Wheres the tutorials?

Did away with most of them it seems, they kinda figure you've played the other games. Which is good, cause I didn't need to learn how to play a batman game yet again. You can look at all the moves available to you in the waynetech section if you've forgotten them (and there's a shitload to forget).

malfcn

The first combat "simulation" with the Bat mobile felt a bit off. They could have done the diagnostics without it being a simulation imo.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

He's human. He doesn't have his own back scratcher.

He's also not thinking he's R2D2. He thinks bulletproof.

Spoilery question for those of you who have played through the Ace Chemical section.

When Batman is loading the antidote canisters, the AI voice indicates the blast radius being reduced by 25, 50%, etc...But I swear after the 3rd canister she said the blast radius INCREASED by 1000% Did I mishear something? I watched the ensuing cutscene but had to quit playing at that point.

You did not mishear it. It also confirms what you thought you heard if you have subtitles on.

It just means
he's been infected by Scarecrow's shit.
In the same sequence, I noticed something weird
Bats drops during the fourth canister but after the flashback, the fourth canister is nowhere to be found.

Xux

Why is Tim's New 52 costume Dick's Robin suit? Why not just give him one of the New 52 costumes he actually wears? The amount they try to seperate Robin from Red Robin is pretty silly. At least it gives him hair.

Top Bottom