• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Chariot

void666, please use spoiler tags if you have spoilers. I don't think that this is a big spoiler, but just imagine if it was.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Ok. It's more the tweet than the actually article. Gotcha.

I didn't click it, but it just unlocked last night. I've been busy today and there's already people making their thesis about spoilers.

I know more about AK and his identity than I do having owned the game and the season pass. Am I pressed on time that much?

GameStop employees get fired for breaking SD half the time and now it doesn't even come clean.

MMaRsu

Youre actually not playing from the disc. All PS4 and XB1 games are installed to the hard drive, whether you use the retail disc or download it from PSN. BluRay drives are too slow.

I still cant continue playing tho. This is bullshit.gif

This is the most 'You have to play the games before' sequel I think I have ever played, and that's without even considering the plot (I'm about 70% through the main story).

The amount of enemies , game mechanics and game systems they throw at you makes this feel like what the 30th hour of Arkham City would have been. It has to be brutal on series newcomers.

You make a good point here.

void666

Banned
Post ace chemicals mission spoilers:

Is it me or does mark hammil sounds weird? He sounds tired or uninterested. At first thought it wasn't him voicing the joker. Maybe he is tired of having the joker in every arkham game.

And another spoiler. Post ace chemicals. Maybe random event. Definitely side quest.

Man-bat. I shat my pants. Wasn't prepared for a jump scare.

At least use spoiler tags. Good lord.

Done. Posted by accident. Really sorry.

Alienous

Is it me or does mark hammil sounds weird? He sounds tired or uninterested. At first thought it wasn't him voicing the joker. Maybe he is tired of having the joker in every arkham game.

And another spoiler. Post ace chemicals. Maybe random event. Definitely side quest.

Regarding that second point, yeah, the same for me.

Such as well executed moment.

This is the most 'You have to play the games before' sequel I think I have ever played, and that's without even considering the plot (I'm about 70% through the main story).

The amount of enemies , game mechanics and game systems they throw at you makes this feel like what the 30th hour of Arkham City would have been. It has to be brutal on series newcomers.

y'know, i kept feeling like i must've missed something, because you're right: afa mechanics/systems go, it's almost entirely 'figure it out yourself'. souls batman? :) ...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Oooh, that suit upgrade... I had no idea that was coming (although maybe I should have), thought I was going to have to work my way up to better flying and junk. But no! Very nice.

Vire

One little touch I loved was at the very beginning of the game where you are in the evidence room GCPD and you can just straight up smash the glass to get the gadget.

The game doesn't explicitly tell you to take it (although it gives you a hint with the audio log), but rewards the player for experimenting.

Done. Posted by accident. Really sorry.

Same here man.

MMaRsu

Anyone else getting issues on ps4 saying "please wait while game data is installed"

Dude I have been waiting for a fucking hour or more to continue playing. This is fucking bullshit. There goes my evening. I gotta sleep in an hour or or so. I have no idea what the progress on the install is either. Shits getting quite annoying. Cant even do the AR challenges :/

Ive been running and gliding around this small area forever.

Mohonky

This is like Convolution - The Game.

I really feel like this moght be the game that has finally jumped the shark as far as being too much. We had a thread awhile ago about games that just got too big or had too many things going on and this game after 2 hours feels like that in a big way. Its like 'hey I've got an idea! Lets throw that in too'

There are so many contextual moves in this game, and it doesn't necessarily always point that out to you. I've only played a few hours but I have tried a few things, it appears you dont need to change gadgets to use things like the explosive gel etc, but I only happen across one area so maybe it shows you the context later but I was doing that with no prompts or anything. Considering the large number of gadgets and the many ways you can use them, it does feel a bit like I need to go back into my own head and try and remember everything you can do and how they function.

Felt the last two games were going over the top with all the riddler stuff and this game seems like more of that, way too much shit happening and to progress from one part to the next you sort of have to randomly keep an eye or ear out as there doesn't appear to be a lot of clues as to where the next part of a side mission might occur.

Menu system is bit of a mess. Map shows a few things that are locked liked challenges but not a lot of info about why,mis it level based, story, will hopefully find out soon.

If this is your first Batman game, you're just plain fucked. Nothing about the game is gradually introduced, its just all there and no explanation is given as to how it works; combat, traversal etc. if you've played the others you can get your head around it pretty quick, if you havent pkayed the past ones, good luck to you. its bad enough the game just sort of throws all this shit onto you with no real explanation of a lot of things, if you don't even know how the game played in the previous iterations, you are going to be overwhelmed.

Then the visuals. They oretty much sum up how the game plays; if we can do it we'll throw it in there. There is soo much goddamn post processing going on. The previous games were fairly simple but everything had a bold clean look to it. This one has filters up the fucking wazoo. There is so much shit going on visually it ends up look like bit of a mess imo. Its too busy.

Over all impressions so far is they needed to reign in a lot of whats going on and make it more focussed. Its like they ordered a pizza and said put on everything you have, then threw in some of their own shit on top for maximum overkill. Working on this game must have felt like 100 different departments not communicating and doing their own thing then throwing it all together and seeing what came up.

Anyone else getting issues on ps4 saying "please wait while game data is installed"

Dude I have been waiting for a fucking hour or more to continue playing. This is fucking bullshit. There goes my evening. I gotta sleep in an hour or or so. I have no idea what the progress on the install is either. Shits getting quite annoying. Cant even do the AR challenges :/

Ive been running and gliding around this small area forever.

Had the same problem last night. I just closed the app, got some food and watched an X Files episode, when I got back 40 mins it was all good. It was rough waiting while I was so anxious, though. Struggle was real.

question about one of the first sidequests you get:
I found the first firefight but where are the rest of them? I know they were seperated but there's no quest marker.

Try patrolling the city while gliding with detective mode on. You can spot of sectionsof enemies sometimes. Also, a cool thing they did...if you clear out an area of military forces it will cause the GCPD helicopters to go back to patrolling the air space. If they end up seeing something on their patrols, they will feed intel back to headquarters that the bat computer is also hooked into. A "intel" option will then appear beneath the mission type. You can then go an investigate.

Also, remember that if you see key items like mission points or riddler trophies, hold up on the d-pad to mark there location on the map so you can come back to it later.

Crumbtiny

Welp, got home from work a little early. Now time to play the UPS "Out for Delivery"waiting game. Not sure how much I'll get to play tonight as mother in law is staying with us for a few days. Hoping I can play enough tonight to get past the early game event that people are talking about.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Fanboyism is slowly turning Batman into an actual god.

I don't think I'll have the specs to play this game...for...awhile.

MMaRsu

Had the same problem last night. I just closed the app, got some food and watched an X Files episode, when I got back 40 mins it was all good. It was rough waiting while I was so anxious, though. Struggle was real.

Maybe I shouldnt have stayed in the game cause I watched Jim Sterling for 35 minutes and it was still not ready :/. The struggle isnindeed real my friend.

Also, Xfiles!? Good choice. Recently started watching it too on Netflix.

Melchiah

Yeah, I'm going to skip the Riddler's tasks, just like in AC. Racing and platforming against the clock isn't how a battle of wits is supposed to be done. I miss the original AA way, where you actually had to use your brains instead of reflexes.

The batmobile seems like a really useless addition to the series, based on my brief gaming session.

Played my first hour and here are my take aways:

1. Batman is like that friend who hooks up with your ex and we are all suppose to be cool with it.
He doesn't let a 10 feet get between him and Gordon before phoning the man's daughter on a video display everyone can see. In the heart of GCPD? Phone his daughter.
Batman needs to learn some manners.

2. I haven't experienced any big PC problems. The small one are like, the game crashes when I exit or the very first time I booted it up it got hung up on a black screen. Frame rate and game works stuff all look great.

3. You have every right to dislike Frank Miller's bat tank, and I have every right to love it. They haven't explained why it's cool for me to run over people yet, but they haven't stopped me either.

4. Leader board support. This might not be new, but this is the first time I actually care about my score vs the other people playing on my list. I spent over 15 minutes in Combo Master just to bet a friend's score.

Alienous

I really feel like this moght be the game that has finally jumped the shark as far as being too much. We had a thread awhile ago about games that just got too big or had too many things going on and this game after 2 hours feels like that in a big way. Its like 'hey I've got an idea! Lets throw that in too'

There are so many contextual moves in this game, and it doesn't necessarily always point that out to you. I've only played a few hours but I have tried a few things, it appears you dont need to change gadgets to use things like the explosive gel etc, but I only happen across one area so maybe it shows you the context later but I was doing that with no prompts or anything. Considering the large number of gadgets and the many ways you can use them, it does feel a bit like I need to go back into my own head and try and remember everything you can do and how they function.

Felt the last two games were going over the top with all the riddler stuff and this game seems like more of that, way too much shit happening and to progress from one part to the next you sort of have to randomly keep an eye or ear out as there doesn't appear to be a lot of clues as to where the next part of a side mission might occur.

Menu system is bit of a mess. Map shows a few things that are locked liked challenges but not a lot of info about why,mis it level based, story, will hopefully find out soon.

If this is your first Batman game, you're just plain fucked. Nothing about the game is gradually introduced, its just all there and no explanation is given as to how it works; combat, traversal etc. if you've played the others you can get your head around it pretty quick, if you havent pkayed the past ones, good luck to you. its bad enough the game just sort of throws all this shit onto you with no real explanation of a lot of things, if you don't even know how the game played in the previous iterations, you are going to be overwhelmed.

Then the visuals. They oretty much sum up how the game plays; if we can do it we'll throw it in there. There is soo much goddamn post processing going on. The previous games were fairly simple but everything had a bold clean look to it. This one has filters up the fucking wazoo. There is so much shit going on visually it ends up look like bit of a mess imo. Its too busy.

Over all impressions so far is they needed to reign in a lot of whats going on and make it more focussed. Its like they ordered a pizza and said put on everything you have, then threw in some of their own shit on top for maximum overkill. Working on this game must have felt like 100 different departments not communicating and doing their own thing then throwing it all together and seeing what came up.

That's fairly comprehensive in how I feel about the game too.

I do think it handles its scale better than Arkham City did, but so much of Arkham Knight is the game version of the phrase "and the kitchen sink". It's weird. Very rarely in a game do I get confused about what button does what 8 hours into it but 70% through the main story of Arkham Knight (and 49% through it all) I'm still struggling with the sheer amount of things.

'Ok, so those enemies do this and I have to press ___ to counter, and that enemy does that and I have to press ____ then press ____ to counter, but now there's this thing an enemy can do, and this power-up they can have, then of course there are all the enemy types from Arkham City'.

'Ok, so this gadget does X, but that other gadget that seems like it should do X does Y, and now the third gadget does a very specific Z, and I have tons of gadgets from the previous game that I neglect to use because of all the things I have'.

'So the Batmobile can do this. But it can also do that. And I have this ability, which can do this thing. But it uses the meter I have to store to do this other thing. And I have to press the Square button four times for this, but I have to hold Triangle for that'.

And that permeates almost every aspect of the game.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Played my first hour and here are my take aways:

1. Batman is like that friend who hooks up with your ex and we are all suppose to be cool with it.
He doesn't let a 10 feet get between him and Gordon before phoning the man's daughter on a video display everyone can see. In the heart of GCPD? Phone his daughter.
Batman needs to learn some manners.

Look at his eyes next time he calls up that video screen. Only he can see it, the game is just showing you what he sees.

Maybe I shouldnt have stayed in the game cause I watched Jim Sterling for 35 minutes and it was still not ready :/. The struggle isnindeed real my friend.

Also, Xfiles!? Good choice. Recently started watching it too on Netflix.

It's actually my second time through the series! Been enthralled with it since I was a youngun.

But I noticed that when I hit the ar challenge button on the menu it'd bring up a progress meter that didn't seem to move, so I closed it and re opened, and tada, progress. So, I dunno. Inconvenient, either way.

Kaizer

Banned
Almost finished installing everything on PS4, been at for about 7 hours now, just have the Red Hood Story Pack left, currently taking 3 hours to download.

Has anyone played the bonus character stuff yet? How's the Harley & Red Hood packs?

Alienous

Almost finished installing everything on PS4, been at for about 7 hours now, just have the Red Hood Story Pack left, currently taking 3 hours to download.

Has anyone played the bonus character stuff yet? How's the Harley & Red Hood packs?

I haven't played or watched them but I've heard they're something like 10 minutes each.

Oh yeah. Been playing for about 3 hours now and I can comfortably say fuck the Batmobile. I would not care if it was in as an additional way to get around but the fact that the first few missions revolve around it really has gotten on my nerves.

Oh yeah. Been playing for about 3 hours now and I can comfortably say fuck the Batmobile. I would not care if it was in as an additional way to get around but the fact that the first few missions revolve around it really has gotten on my nerves.

It feels way too "floaty" to be a practical means of travel.

Mohonky

That's fairly comprehensive in how I feel about the game too.

I do think it handles its scale better than Arkham City did, but so much of Arkham Knight is the game version of the phrase "and the kitchen sink". It's weird. Very rarely in a game do I get confused about what button does what 8 hours into it but 70% through the main story of Arkham Knight (and 49% through it all) I'm still struggling with the sheer amount of things.

'Ok, so those enemies do this and I have to press ___ to counter, and that enemy does that and I have to press ____ then press ____ to counter, but now there's this thing an enemy can do, and this power-up they can have, then of course there are all the enemy types from Arkham City'.

'Ok, so this gadget does X, but that other gadget that seems like it should do X does Y, and now the third gadget does a very specific Z, and I have tons of gadgets from the previous game that I neglect to use because of all the things I have'.

'So the Batmobile can do this. But it can also do that. And I have this ability, which can do this thing. But it uses the meter I have to store to do this other thing. And I have to press the Square button four times for this, but I have to hold Triangle for that'.

And that permeates almost every aspect of the game.

As you said, 'and the kitchen sink'

There nothing cohesive about this game from what I played, like I said, its like everyone and anyone who had an idea, had it implemented. I have only just started playing but I feel like it needed a director who could say 'no, thats enough' as far as mechanics are concerned, and just all round tightened the game up and focussed it.

Sometimes less is more.

The impression I am getting with this game, is that more is not nearly enough......

Alienous

Things like how including it meant a reshuffling of what were really great controls.

How it does a lot rather than a smaller amount really well.

That using it and travelling at fast speeds without crashing seems to result in horrendous slowdowns.

The city was made so large to accommodate it and I don't think it's worth that.

I just came in to say fuck the
pop-out scares

In a game where one of the primary themes is fear I commend a developer for making me feel fear by any means necessary.

Im enjoying the game quite a bit but I know where you are coming from. I played all 3 previous Arkham games to death and Im still a bit lost on how some of the new functions work. There is absolutely no good tutorial on how everything works. I mean, Im only a few hours into the game but thats already too far to be teaching some of the basic combat shit. Once I get the hang of everything Im sure it will be fine but the game does a totally shit job of introducing new concepts.

Im pretty much in agreement with you on the visuals though, they could have toned down the post processing a lot. I would have much prefered a cleaner looking game over the haze/grain thats going on.

Just finished the game. It was pretty great. Batmobile stuff definitely wore out its welcome about 75% through, super disappointed in the Arkham Knight reveal but the last twenty minutes of the game is probably the best moment I've seen in a long time in games.

P.S. Fuck that PC port, I still finished it but fuck it.

hz2PYe4.gif

obin_gam

I'm just overwhelmed by amount of stuff the game throws at you. Don't like it one bit :/ Severely disappointed.

Will finish the main story and then go back to Skellige and fuck around there with my buddy Roach instead.

kurahadol

Question for people, not sure if it has been asked (quite a big thread to browse through)

I am on a very slow connection and it would take me ~10 hours to download the DLC that came with the game and the Day 1 update. Am I ok to play the game now without those currently installed? Am I missing anything crucial with the Harley Quinn and/or Scarecrow DLC within the first few hours of the game? Does the patch do anything within those first few hours that are absolutely needed?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
There are clear graphics showing this display being beamed up from his gauntlets. Even if no one else can see it, he needs to respect some damn boundaries.

I also question the wisdom of Batman openly talking to a video display of Bruce Wayne's butler, along the same lines. Also I laughed out loud when he
changes into the new batsuit right out in the open on a rooftop about 100 yards from two unconscious guards and a roomful of armed thugs.

One thing that doesn't work outside of comics:
Bats pulls his disappearing act on Gordon...but then you get control of him again, and it turns out he just kind of hopped over the edge of the building and ducked near the wall.
It was pretty funny.

Aside from that, though, I think it's always weird to start a new Arkham game, where Batman doesn't have most of his moves yet. It just feels very un-Batman-like.

Batman driving around like a moron and crashing into random stuff is weird, too, but I really hate how the Batmobile handles.

Top Bottom