• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight |OT| Protect Gotham Racing

Man they really do want you to use that Batmobile alot... If I have to use that freaking power winch to yank something down for whatever reason, I may strangle somebody.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Ok, so I'm like two hours in:

The Joker...AGAIN! I mean it's nice that he's still dead and it's nice they actually got Hamill back (Was he making up the whole feud with WB?) but I was kind of looking forward to a game without him at all to be honest.

Also, what the hell is with the idea that Joker's blood "turns other people into the Joker"?? Joker's still just a regular guy.

His blood is not normal. Remember titan?

Man they really do want you to use that Batmobile alot... If I have to use that freaking power winch to yank something down for whatever reason, I may strangle somebody.

It would be awesome if Bruce spent $800 million more on the handleing alone

Fucking cheapskate

quickwhips

Yeah, the Batmobile is hard to control. It almost feels like its done on purpose so you're all over the place crashing into stuff.

The chases are so hard for me. :( I feel if they did that on purpose they are going to have a lot of people hating it worst than I am.

Basketball

So is everyone okay with the fact that Rocksteady/WB just ripped out a huge portion of replay value and one of the most fun aspects of the series

to sell it as DLC later ......

FUCK

Jayne

Where are the Challenge maps and Why am I only limited to using Batman for the AR stuff ????????

Harley , Catwoman , Robin etc ????

WTF ROCKSTEADY

This is the worst D: I was really looking forward to doing some challenge maps with the new characters in this game. Rocksteady, wahhhy?

Cindro

Oh boy - please tell me you unlock the ability to reconfigure the controls (mainly switching the Batmobile modes from hold to toggle)? I've read about it in this thread ample times, but there's no option for it under "Game Options" in my pause menu.

I'm very early on -
Ivy just got in the Batmobile and I just did the first weapons diagnostic test
- but if that option isn't already available after already having to go between both Batmobile modes I don't know when it will be. Seems like an insane thing to lock behind a story mission, so now I'm fretting over it being a glitch.

bobawesome

I really, really, really, really, really hope you can unlock the Arkham Knight suit for personal use at some point in the game. It looks so much cooler than the suit Batman has. And that bat bulge...I can't look away.

ironcreed

Banned

I like driving it fine, but having to use the winch and so many puzzles and platforming with it just kills the pacing for me. I really hate it. Not fond of the Arkham Knight and his army of tanks, either. Right now I am feeling like it is a good game that is weighed down with some annoying even outright bad design.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Just got the game and I have a question. Should I start with Harley, red hood, or batman?

Harley is technically prequel DLC so I personally think that should be played first before the main game. I don't really know where Red Hood lies within the story, but I ended up playing that one right after Harley. Both aren't really that long, and that way I get them out of the way so I can just focus on the main game.

So is the 7/10 gamespot rating, with regards to there being too much batmobile, confirmed as reasonable? Seems that people are indeed complaining about the batmobile portions of the game.

ironcreed

Banned
So is the 7/10 gamespot rating, with regards to there being too much batmobile, confirmed as reasonable? Seems that people are indeed complaining about the batmobile portions of the game.

After playing the game more, that is the one review I am leaning towards the most.

ElRenoRaven

Yup. It's on the money. If the Batmobile crap wasn't in the game It'd be an easy 9. But there is too damn much Batmobile and the Riddler Batmobile stuff is not fun at all. I worried about this when announced to have it and my fears were confirmed. The Batmobile stuff sucks.

ironcreed

Banned
Yup. It's on the money. If the Batmobile crap wasn't in the game It'd be an easy 9. But there is too damn much Batmobile and the Riddler Batmobile stuff is not fun at all. I worried about this when announced to have it and my fears were confirmed. The Batmobile stuff sucks.

Just driving around is fine. It's all of the other shit that is killing the game for me. I was loving it until I started encountering all of that.

nib95

Banned
Ok GAF, dilemma time. So two copies of the game turned up for me. I forgot I ordered it twice, but it's a free return with whichever I don't keep either way.

One comes with both Harley Quinn and Wayne Booster pack DLC.

One comes with only the Harley Quinn DLC.

Both are the same price (£37). As far as I know the Wayne tech DLC just unlocks some upgrades that are already in the game, but right from the beginning of the game, which I don't care for as I don't want to unbalance the difficulty of my game. But extra DLC is extra DLC. Could be useful for hardest mode?

However here's the issue. This is the cover with just the Harley Quinn DLC. Clean, the DLC sticker is removable.

Batman__Arkham_Knight_13939477168537.jpg

Here's the cover for the one with both DLC's. The DLC badge is part of the cover, and not removable....

147-1299_PI_1000025MN

Extra DLC is nice, but cleaner cover is maybe nicer? Which would you keep?

ZeroX03

Banned
If they reduced Batmobile by a significant chunk it would certainly help. It shouldn't be removed, just less presence.

We also need a lot more challenge maps where you can choose any character or duo you want. No reason not to have that. That's the replay value after NG+. The part of the game where you do
predator and combat maps with Robin is stellar
, and there should be more.

Neff

There's a ton of Batmobile, whether that's a bad thing or not depends on what you want from a Batman game. If there's anything about the Batmobile that's going to put a lot of people off, it's that it requires practice to master, because it's very sensitive. But once mastered, which doesn't take long, it fits like a tailored glove and you can do amazing things with it.

Totally not accurate score imo.

Is it possible with Batman Arkham Knight being such a hyped and greatly anticipated AAA game that despite reviewers likely encountering the same issues gamespot had, they were too afraid to mark the game down in fear of fan backlash?

Critics certainly weren't afraid to speak their minds with The Order.

Arkham Knight is a quality package from top to bottom. It's exactly what you'd expect based on Rocksteady's pedigree after Asylum and City. It just has a shitload of Batmobile in it.

Is it possible with Batman Arkham Knight being such a hyped and greatly anticipated AAA game that despite reviewers likely encountering the same issues gamespot had, they were too afraid to mark the game down in fear of fan backlash?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Ok, so I'm like two hours in:

The Joker...AGAIN! I mean it's nice that he's still dead and it's nice they actually got Hamill back (Was he making up the whole feud with WB?) but I was kind of looking forward to a game without him at all to be honest.

Also, what the hell is with the idea that Joker's blood "turns other people into the Joker"?? Joker's still just a regular guy.

I'm liking that twist. He's just appearing out of nowhere, EVERYWHERE. Hell, just saw a small build board that said "Fear Toxin get exposed" With a cartoon visage of the Joker on it. I turn away and look back and it's actually a men's cologne billboard. Just some small thing in a non descript section of the city. Was near the gcod.

ironcreed

Banned

Right now I personally think it is overrated as fuck.

Wow that's interesting, there was so much lashing out against gamespot for that rating before the game released.

its always like that, people invest so much into a game they haven't played, its their perfect little angel. Then they get their hands on it and "hmm nope that sounds about right"

U2NUMB

So how do I
interrogate the soldier in the car... first mission and it will not let me get close enough to do anything. He seems to be stuck in the building... great first impression

ironcreed

Banned
I'm nearly at the end of the main story and I think it's the worst of the three but I haven't really dabbled in the side missions. Not bad, just falling short in a few areas.

Yeah, I am not saying it is bad. I just don't think it deserves the heaps of praise that is getting thrown on it at all. Especially that 10 from Polygon. 7 is looking about right to me.

Oh wow... Just started the game and thought the batmobile was pretty badass. I came in here to post and apparently I'm in the minority here. I appreciate the switch up in gameplay.

Do we know how long the game is? I've seen lite on content complaints. I was just curious how long the main story is.

Tabby

I don't mind the batmobile stuff but I'm learning more towards 8/10.

ElRenoRaven

Just driving around is fine. It's all of the other shit that is killing the game for me. I was loving it until I started encountering all of that.

Yea just cruising around the city is fine. I can deal with that. But the enigma puzzles that use it suck. Trying to platform with the car sucks. Then several missions require it to power up stuff and that little mini game to do that isn't fun either.

Dimorphic

So I've just fired this up and the size of the map and amount of things you can do is a bit overwhelming.

I'm not sure if these are spoilers but still
I just spent some time in the GCPD station looking through the evidence locker (which is a really cool addition) and now have the option of continuing the story, investigating the creepy murder or finding the firefighters. Not to mention the AR missions as well.

I like the amount of stuff there is to do but I think they could do a better job of slowly introducing things ala GTA.

Oh wow... Just started the game and thought the batmobile was pretty badass. I came in here to post and apparently I'm in the minority here. I appreciate the switch up in gameplay.

Do we know how long the game is? I've seen lite on content complaints. I was just curious how long the main story is.

I appreciate the switch up in gameplay too, though I use the batmobile as little as I can.

Blader

About 12 hours.

Guys close the game and take the disc out, I've found that it is some bug that stops the game from loading, you can even hear your disc stop spinning. If you take the disc out and insert it again it will load. In fact go to the game menu once you stick the disc back in and you can watch it load on the progress bar. "

If you don't do this it will not load
Thanks, will do that if it happens again (so far so good)

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Guess you guys are playing a different game than me. I'm loving it so far, my only critic is too much forced batmobile stuff.

Neff

It's longer than any of the other games in the series, even without taking criteria required to get
the final ending
into account.

Speaking of weaknesses, I've noticed a lot of people complaining about the weird/bad control of the Batmobile. Could tighter or adapted controls be patched in by Rocksteady to improve things?

Controls are already super-super-tight. They could make it more simplified and automated I guess, but they shouldn't do. When you're blasting through Gotham streets during a high-speed chase, pulling off expert hairpin turns around corners, while avoiding missiles fired by enemy APCs, it's you doing that, not the game. It's 100% interactive, earned and thrilling.

It sounds like most of the Batmobile complaints centre around the monotony and frequency of the tank battles, but they added enough new features and twists to them as the game went along to keep them fresh and interesting enough for me. The Batmobile puzzles are exactly the kind of thing I expected from Metroid Prime 3 when I discovered that Samus' ship was used as a powerup (even though it never really delivered on that potential). It's used in several clever ways, for combat, traversal and detective work, and it's always a pleasure to interact with. They obviously put a lot of effort into it and it paid off imo.

Plus it looks fucking cool.

Top Bottom